Poll: What do you think about Hoarders and Price gouging during National Emergencies?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Couple denied the purchase of 23 Cases of Mountain Dew

What do you think specifically about the Hoarding and Price gouging, what should be done when individuals or even big business takes advantage during crises like floods, hurricane, and natural catastrophes?

I am glad I live Minnesota where the fucking stupidity level hasn't completely left people losing their minds, however we are pretty close with some. Honestly I think most big business that allow for it, ought to be fined, and it should be taken into consideration when offering government subsidies.

Also what is the most sickening display you have seen?

I've been working a bit, and since I am close to retiring in a few months, I am training in my replacements, but yeah, I would say the worst has been some malls and business's have had people literally asking to use the restroom to steal toilet paper supplies.

However, considering the hoarding and folks like these people in the Video, I kind of find it more understandable.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    i agree. these people clearly don't need 23 cases of mountain dew.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i agree. these people clearly don't need 23 cases of mountain dew.
    One could look at it another way for that kind of products : if a few hoard a massive supply, that means that many other people might have to rely on less nocive ones (like water).

While there has been lots of historical variations on what was deemed an essential product, I wouldn't put in the same basket stuff like surgical masks and cigarettes.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

7+ Year Old Account
    They gots to stock up on that bartel skeet son.

5+ Year Old Account
    What do you think specifically about the Hoarding and Price gouging, what should be done when individuals or even big business takes advantage during crises like floods, hurricane, and natural catastrophes?
    From a personal stance I feel it's incredibly immoral, but I'm fine with the current measures taken: fines and minor jail time depending on offense.

Luckily nothing myself, but I read on social media that people are lurking in parking lots and stealing from carts. Stay safe.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Don't really care about examples like your video. No one needs Mountain Dew, so if a couple of morbidly obese idiots want to hoard Mountain Dew, by all means, doesn't harm anyone other than themselves.

I take issue with people hoarding actual food and essential household items, however.

I have personally never seen anyone doing stuff like this, but I have never gone shopping right at the onset of a panic before.

It's immoral. Plain and simple. And those taking advantage such as hoarding and selling at a markup, should be punished. Fines or even jailtime, I'd be fine with either. I still shop my usual 1-week amount, and I have yet to go without despite people hoarding even up here, with 30 confirmed cases...

Stores should limit the amount people can purchase if the hoarding continues.

I didn't see it myself, but my dad had his basket raided by greedy idiots. He had forgotten something so he put the basket down, out of the way of other customers but still in the vicinity of the checkout area.

He came back, and his basket had been raided. He had no choice but to do another turn in the store.

And others have reported the same thing. My dad's 82-year old aunt had to guard her cart because people would just grab shit from it if she left it to go get something from shelves. It forced an 82-year old to push the cart twice as far as she would've on a normal day. And she's too proud to ask for help.

I just cannot even fathom the downright selfish nature of such people... I'll be handling the shopping for the aunt until things go back to normal, but keeping that spitfire indoors is tough...

I'm all for Capitalism letting people have their Freedumb.

Snip.
    Let's be clear, because I see a lot of stupid fucking people say "hurr durr Capitalism"; Price gouging is not capitalism, it's Fraud/Scalping. Products are artificially being removed from their storefronts, their availability is being limited to force a shortage. Scalpers/Gougers are not apart of the supply/demand chain, they are an outside force taking advantage of an extraordinary situation. You couldn't even make the argument that they are geographically relocating products and selling at a higher rate to offset purchase costs and travel, this is a widespread issue, geographical relocation is just artificially creating a shortage in another area; that's not what is occurring here.

That being said, these people are hoarding Mountain Dew, and they look like they are a case away from losing a limb to diabetes anyway. Lets them cleanse the gene pool if they want.

People constantly falsely attributing certain things to capitalism that shouldn't be.

Capitalism ENABLES certain behaviors, but it isn't bound to solely act on them. By that I mean it's perfectly capitalist and within a store's rights to refuse service towards someone if that store thinks the buyer is being unreasonable for any reason.

The store declining to allow hoarding purchases because they're choosing to be socially responsible is just as much capitalist as the company enabling unethical practices. People need to learn that the reason companies can even allow unethical practices is because THEY FUCKING KEEP SHOPPING THERE. Speak with your money. Don't like anti-gay establishments? Stop fucking buying chick-fil-a. Don't like stores that allow hoarders to ruin things for the rest of us? Stop fucking shopping there. People act like there are no alternatives or that every business will be unethical simply because they're not bound by law.

Or would you run around murdering people if it wasn't illegal?

Always fat asses that do these hoardings whenever it's on video.

The worse I have seen, and certainly one of the dumbest most could imagine, was a guy trying to buy about 40 gallons of milk (3 carts full). I mean.. he knows that stuff goes bad pretty quick right? He lost his shit when they wouldn't let him have more than 3 gallons.

Another one was a guy with a full cart of only peanut butter. Must have been 50 to 60 of the big jars. What a winner. He flipped the fuck out when they only let him have 2.

I will get more stories as well. I spend my lunch break in my truck watching these idiots at the store.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2020-03-23 at 05:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's good to have restrictions in place in a moment of crisis.

They can make mountain dew baths while wrapping themselves in toilet paper all they like when we're done with this shit.

Taking advantage of a crisis via hoarding and price gouging should be punishable, but Mtn Dew is not a necessity.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Don't really care about examples like your video. No one needs Mountain Dew, so if a couple of morbidly obese idiots want to hoard Mountain Dew, by all means, doesn't harm anyone other than themselves.
    Depends, really. Dew isn't my choice, but I've got a small stockpile (like 8 12-packs, I think?) of my cola of choice. And I do "need" that. The caffeine, specifically. Like, I have a legitimate prescription for caffeine. Drinks are one of the most effective means of intake, because I can control the dosage so well; I need about 75mg of caffeine every 3-4 hours, give or take; it remains the best stimulant for managing my ADHD. Caffeine pills are generally 50/100mg; a 50mg pill isn't enough, a 100mg pill is a bit too strong. The pills also spike and fall off a lot more harshly, since the intake is all at once. So I drink Pepsi Max, which is 69mg/can of caffeine, and zero sugar/calories.

I could get by with coffee, but that just changes what product I need.

That all said, purchasing limits are totally fine and throwing a fit because you can't buy 23 cases is a shithead thing to do. So don't take any of the above as some kind of defense for the couple in the video.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is very much anti-social behaviour, if caught to resell them locally they should be fined.

How do you stop this without putting security and police in stores in big numbers to control this? Well in Belgium for let's say hand disinfectant and soap stores came up with a simple solution, buy one you pay the regular price, buy two? You pay the regular price plus 120 euros.

Suddenly people don't really need cases any more, imagine the surprise!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Depends, really. Dew isn't my choice, but I've got a small stockpile (like 8 12-packs, I think?) of my cola of choice. And I do "need" that. The caffeine, specifically. Like, I have a legitimate prescription for caffeine. Drinks are one of the most effective means of intake, because I can control the dosage so well; I need about 75mg of caffeine every 3-4 hours, give or take; it remains the best stimulant for managing my ADHD. Caffeine pills are generally 50/100mg; a 50mg pill isn't enough, a 100mg pill is a bit too strong. The pills also spike and fall off a lot more harshly, since the intake is all at once. So I drink Pepsi Max, which is 69mg/can of caffeine, and zero sugar/calories.

I could get by with coffee, but that just changes what product I need.

That all said, purchasing limits are totally fine and throwing a fit because you can't buy 23 cases is a shithead thing to do. So don't take any of the above as some kind of defense for the couple in the video.
    Wouldn't making a few litres of green tea be the better option or healthier option for you? Can't imagine drinking that much soda is good for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Wouldn't making a few litres of green tea be the better option or healthier option for you? Can't imagine drinking that much soda is good for you.
    Probably. But I can't stand green tea. And the caffeine content in black tea means I'd need to drink 4 cups, which is a lot of tea. Every option has negatives, really. Coffee would be better, and I do drink coffee, but it's a pretty small difference, overall. I tried using caffeine pills, but like I said, it's tough to get the right dosage and maintain it comfortably withing spikes and valleys.

The only real negative is that the drink's acidic, but it's no worse in that respect (better, actually) than if I were drinking orange juice. Coffee's fairly acidic too.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Tea and coffee can vary strongly in regards of the caffeine levels you have in them, depending on temperature of the water you used to brew, how long you brew it, brand of coffee, and so on. While you totally can calculate how much caffeine you'll end up with in your cup if you have the training/knowledge and equipment/willingness to do so, soda with added caffeine is significantly easier than self-brewed beverages, as their content basically never varies.

As for Soda consumption, as @Endus said, he drinks sugar-free soda, so there is that. Sure, there are healthier alternatives, but since he has says he's been diagnosed I'd assume he at least discussed caffeine-intake with his attending doctor.

If I were to recommend something I'd probably go with self-made lemonade with ginger tea, little or no sugar, and precisely-dosed caffeine in the form of pills, but that's just me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Probably. But I can't stand green tea. And the caffeine content in black tea means I'd need to drink 4 cups, which is a lot of tea. Every option has negatives, really. Coffee would be better, and I do drink coffee, but it's a pretty small difference, overall. I tried using caffeine pills, but like I said, it's tough to get the right dosage and maintain it comfortably withing spikes and valleys.

The only real negative is that the drink's acidic, but it's no worse in that respect (better, actually) than if I were drinking orange juice. Coffee's fairly acidic too.
    Ah okay, well i use green tea extract supplements so was just wondering but it seems you looked into alternatives already

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Tea and coffee can vary strongly in regards of the caffeine levels you have in them, depending on temperature of the water you used to brew, how long you brew it, brand of coffee, and so on. While you totally can calculate how much caffeine you'll end up with in your cup if you have the training/knowledge and equipment/willingness to do so, soda with added caffeine is significantly easier than self-brewed beverages, as their content basically never varies.

As for Soda consumption, as @Endus said, he drinks sugar-free soda, so there is that. Sure, there are healthier alternatives, but since he has says he's been diagnosed I'd assume he at least discussed caffeine-intake with his attending doctor.

If I were to recommend something I'd probably go with self-made lemonade with ginger tea, little or no sugar, and precisely-dosed caffeine in the form of pills, but that's just me.
    Yep he did say sugar free for some reason i missed that.

I honestly make a little over a litre every day, so i have a bout a litre every day from the day before. I mix and match around, ginger lemon and peppermint and green/lemon has been my combo this week.

10+ Year Old Account

I honestly think they should be charged when the courts open back up. Until then, ban them from the stores they've been going to.

I saw a woman with at least nine flats of 18-count eggs in her cart try to go through the cash register. They made her put back all but 3.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama