Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does tank survivability translate to the sanity bar?

Before I put my Vengeance DH alt through the cloak quest, if I do my thing in visions, taking it in the face as a tank, is my sanity going to plummet while my health remains full?

My main's a warlock so I've generally not been getting hit, I have to wonder if the usual "soloing supremacy" of a tank class is nullified by having a secondary "health bar" that your tank skills aren't necessarily guaranteed to protect.

Sanity is always drained in visions no matter what you do. It is unrelated to your health. If you avoid mechanics you can avoid having it dip down quicker. So basically being a tank doesn't affect sanity bar at all.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    most of the sanity loss/drain mechs are avoidable spells or interruptable ones. DH tanks are very mobile; just try to stay out of poop
    *Minaah* lvl 120 / Resto & Balance Druid -- GM of Onslaught on Doomhammer-US, Horde

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    Before I put my Vengeance DH alt through the cloak quest, if I do my thing in visions, taking it in the face as a tank, is my sanity going to plummet while my health remains full?

My main's a warlock so I've generally not been getting hit, I have to wonder if the usual "soloing supremacy" of a tank class is nullified by having a secondary "health bar" that your tank skills aren't necessarily guaranteed to protect.
    Yes, something like that. Doing it as a tank, you will have an easier time doing mass pulls because you cant get dazed & dismounted, and you will worry a lot less about your health. But the issue is the elite & boss fights because your single target dmg is worse. So they will take longer, you will lose more sanity there and have more opportunities to fail a mechanic and lose even more.

10+ Year Old Account

You can basically face-tank all mobs safely, as long as you keep an eye where you're standing. Very few mobs' abilities drain sanity, and those that do (excluding area bosses) are ground-targeted, with one exception: the big flesh-beast in the Mage District has a beam, which you can easily dodge since it doesn't move on cast. So you'll always see a big warning indicating where the ability will be cast, giving you plenty of time to move out of the way.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Quote Originally Posted by burek View Post
    Yes, something like that. Doing it as a tank, you will have an easier time doing mass pulls because you cant get dazed & dismounted, and you will worry a lot less about your health. But the issue is the elite & boss fights because your single target dmg is worse. So they will take longer, you will lose more sanity there and have more opportunities to fail a mechanic and lose even more.
    I hadn't considered the whole "the boss dies eventually" factor that lets tanks own big singular MOBs in the open world! In a vision, "Eventually" means more sanity drain. That's certainly a factor!

I hadn't considered the whole "the boss dies eventually" factor that lets tanks own big singular MOBs in the open world! In a vision, "Eventually" means more sanity drain. That's certainly a factor!
    There are actually only a few bosses that take some more sanity as tank, most can be avoided. Miniboss tradedistrict, he uses his channel quicker than you can kick. Umbric uses his missles to quick too. In Og, the hulk elite can throw you 1 or 2 times more than as dps. Rexxars boars are the biggest problem, because you cant burst him or them down - take it slow and kill each boar, if you dont have any good corruptions. Thralls boars should be killed quickly too (use aoe silence and stun.
    All in all - tanks are not worse, they can clear pretty fast. Say, if you take around 200 sanity dmg through said bosses as dps, you wont take more than 300 on them as tank, thats peanuts.

Im BDK, soloing visions since release, clearing 5 mask since 4 weeks, sometimes not even using orbs - dont worry
    Last edited by Bloodyleech; 2020-03-22 at 05:55 AM.

No mob's auto attacks drain sanity. If you lose sanity it's because you stood in something you shouldn't, were hit by a special you were supposed to avoid, or didn't interrupt a spell you should have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    There are actually only a few bosses that take some more sanity as tank, most can be avoided. Miniboss tradedistrict, he uses his channel quicker than you can kick. Umbric uses his missles to quick too. In Og, the hulk elite can throw you 1 or 2 times more than as dps. Rexxars boars are the biggest problem, because you cant burst him or them down - take it slow and kill each boar, if you dont have any good corruptions. Thralls boars should be killed quickly too (use aoe silence and stun.
    All in all - tanks are not worse, they can clear pretty fast. Say, if you take around 200 sanity dmg through said bosses as dps, you wont take more than 300 on them as tank, thats peanuts.

Im BDK, soloing visions since release, clearing 5 mask since 4 weeks, sometimes not even using orbs - dont worry
    For trade district miniboss if the titan buff goes off while I'm fighting either of the two pulls before him I just rush to him and soak his attack, saving my interrupt for if he lives long enough to cast again once titan is over. For Umbric, I deliberately wait during the storm until my interrupt is off. Dancing a bit back and forth right in front of him to buy time. As for boars, yeah, do it slow, have an interrupt for each one. For Thrall I CC one boar, kill the other, usually don't bother killing second one. There's enough time when going from one ring to another to renew CC.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    No mob's auto attacks drain sanity. If you lose sanity it's because you stood in something you shouldn't, were hit by a special you were supposed to avoid, or didn't interrupt a spell you should have.

- - - Updated - - -

For trade district miniboss if the titan buff goes off while I'm fighting either of the two pulls before him I just rush to him and soak his attack, saving my interrupt for if he lives long enough to cast again once titan is over. For Umbric, I deliberately wait during the storm until my interrupt is off. Dancing a bit back and forth right in front of him to buy time. As for boars, yeah, do it slow, have an interrupt for each one. For Thrall I CC one boar, kill the other, usually don't bother killing second one. There's enough time when going from one ring to another to renew CC.
    Yeah you can play around Gift, but I dont really care for it, nor I care for potions. As long as it works..

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    Yeah you can play around Gift, but I dont really care for it, nor I care for potions. As long as it works..
    Really that's the only time I do. Since, as you said, the trade guy recasts faster than you can block. There's other guys who do that to, but trade guy is also stun immune.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

7+ Year Old Account

Yes dps kill stuff faster then healer and tank, but healer and tank have a buff in visions so that is not a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Yes dps kill stuff faster then healer and tank, but healer and tank have a buff in visions so that is not a problem.
    It kinda is... their buffs don't make up for the output another dps brings unless you are doing group 3 or large with 5 masks were the damage can actually being down players quickly.

I've managed to sell 5 mask carries as a dps while tanks struggle to get the " mad world" achievement and few if any healers can clear 4 masks.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    It kinda is... their buffs don't make up for the output another dps brings unless you are doing group 3 or large with 5 masks were the damage can actually being down players quickly.

I've managed to sell 5 mask carries as a dps while tanks struggle to get the " mad world" achievement and few if any healers can clear 4 masks.
    except tanks and healers have 60% more damage in visions, and tanks can do 5 mask 5 clear insanely easily right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

except tanks and healers have 60% more damage in visions, and tanks can do 5 mask 5 clear insanely easily right now...
    That is still terrible damage... it isn't close to comparable to a dps unless they run a absurd amount of corruption. I imagine some tanks can struggle with a 5 clear... but to compare it to a dps is laughable. I use one orb in sw 5 masks and that is more to be safe then a actual need unless I mess up.

The only reason to do visions as a tank or healer is if you lack the gear or ability to play a dps spec.

That's actually not right. The health of enemies is reduced for both of them. Healers got a 50% life reduction, while tanks only got a 25% life reduction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    That is still terrible damage... it isn't close to comparable to a dps unless they run a absurd amount of corruption. I imagine some tanks can struggle with a 5 clear... but to compare it to a dps is laughable. I use one orb in sw 5 masks and that is more to be safe then a actual need unless I mess up.

The only reason to do visions as a tank or healer is if you lack the gear or ability to play a dps spec.
    Or, who knows, there is another reason: one doesn't enjoy the dps specs the class has to offer. I'm a DK, I play Blood where I can, and quite succesfull with this, too. Not even needing orbs as Blood.
    Last edited by Bloodyleech; 2020-03-22 at 08:37 AM.

Check out the Cyclotronic Blast punchcard (https://www.wowhead.com/item=167672). Helps a lot with single target burst damage.

15+ Year Old Account
    DH tank damage is just absolutely bollocks without correct corruption items. With the corruption gear it's great.

If you are just starting out and don't have corruption gear (twilight devastation or echoing void), do the visions as havoc.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Yes, your tank capabilities are nullified by the sanity bar. Your health doesn't go down, but you take so long to kill elites and big pulls that the sanity punishes you.

I have a much easier time on my arcane Mage who breezes through the place with spammable instant never ending hard hitting aoe + all mobilities and utilities. Elites go in seconds with a cooldown. But I have to be careful about health, use the health regen food and potions for emergencies.

I reckon Warrior tanks have easier time with their aoe damage.

Nope. It'll help you pull faster, but the lack of DPS could prove more dangerous to your sanity. My deaths are always due to having too many sanity draining effects stacking on me at once that I can't counter all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Prot paladin immunities help with most of the sanity drain abilities - but not all.