Are external SSD worth using on a desktop

My case is too small to add anything else to it. I would very much like to speed things up on the computer if I can & I was hoping a SSD would be a step towards that. So my only real options I can see would be an external SSD which I have seen mixed reviews on using for gaming. So I come here to see what the MMO-C masses have to say about my brilliant idea. Thanks for any insight good, bad and everything in between.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

No, it'll be bottlenecked with the USB port.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Pretty much this, if it's not onboard there's no point in an ssd.

If you are really out of space in your case (a ssd doesnt take that much space, just take a deck of card and see if there is any space around where it can fit... i highly doubt your case is that full) you could check a ssd/hdd combo, called a Solid State Hybrid Drive. Same size as a normal hdd but with a ssd inside to replace your current hard drive.
    Last edited by Knaar; 2020-03-22 at 08:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    My case is too small to add anything else to it.
    What does your OS run off of... now? Whatever it is, an SSD cannot be larger so.. just replace whatever is in there with SSD.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What does your OS run off of... now? Whatever it is, an SSD cannot be larger so.. just replace whatever is in there with SSD.
    This. If you replace it with a Samsung, SSD, use their software to clone your original. That way, no need to reinstall all your stuff off your hard drive. Works great.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    USB 3 supports 5/10gbit a second. 5 gigabit is 625 megabyte
    SATA 3 supports up to 600 megabyte
    Ergo, you're getting the same speed. Yes it'll have a bit higher latency, but it'll be fine.

that said, just get an internal one. An external one will drive you insane eventually. You say you can't add it because your case is too small, so just lay it flat on the bottom, or tape it to a case wall.

My case is too small to add anything else to it. I would very much like to speed things up on the computer if I can & I was hoping a SSD would be a step towards that. So my only real options I can see would be an external SSD which I have seen mixed reviews on using for gaming. So I come here to see what the MMO-C masses have to say about my brilliant idea. Thanks for any insight good, bad and everything in between.
    If you're able to handle some cords dangling for a bit you could get a new drive that's larger than what you have, mirror the old drive to it and then leave the new drive in.

Could you replace the HDD with an SSD, and then add USB storage? You can get drive enclosures that you connect via USB so you could put your existing drive into it.

Yes, you will notice a big difference with a SSD.

Buy a case. I'm sure you can find one for 10 bucks somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

External SSD drives have been out for a few years now. They and are incredibly fast, durable and very quiet, and are super convenient for both those in the workplace and students alike. But are external SSD drives worth it?

If speed, flexibility, durability, gaming, or if multi-tasking is important to you, then purchasing an external SSD (Solid State Drive), is absolutely worth it. It will save you a lot of time, and in the long run, it will save you money, given how long solid-state drives last.