Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Giving your rugged human protagonist a hot elf girlfriend is a very common trope in fantasy fiction and even quite a bit of older mythology. Warcraft is just following tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrage View Post
    That's interesting. Then again, Tolkien was a devout Christian, and his elves were basically perfect Christians as well (only one mate for life, they only have intercourse for reproductive reasons and lose interest in sex after they have children). And considering suicide is a mortal sin in Christianity, it doesn't seem likely.
    I have often thought that the reason Arwen's story was so convoluted was because Tolkien didn't want his perfect elves to violate the tenants of his faith. But yeah, death by broken heart being a euphemism for suicide is definitely my head canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    There are plenty more if you actually pay attention.

Jaina and Kael'thas.
    Edit: Jaina and the dragon Kalecgos (Eeew! sick!) disguised as an elf.

Shandris and that human rambo dude?

Lots of lesser important npcs.
    Shandris is more interested in Jarod it seems (a fellow night elf).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    Clearly you know so much about Christianity...
    I don't, but I do know that suicide and sex outside of marriage is considered a sin within Christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    There are plenty more if you actually pay attention.

Jaina and Kael'thas.
    Edit: Jaina and the dragon Kalecgos (Eeew! sick!) disguised as an elf.

Shandris and that human rambo dude?

Lots of lesser important npcs.
    Jaina and Kael were never a couple. Kalec is not an elf. Shandris and Keeshan are not a couple.

Name some NPC couples.

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    Clearly you know so much about Christianity...
    Not only that, but an authority on Tolkien as well. And here the rest of us Tolkien readers were pretty sure that Tolkien wrote about many flawed elves with varying degrees of "sin".

Also funny seeing someone talk about the "perfect Christian", as they are taught that everyone, including themselves, is born with a sinful nature and has to be redeemed. So "perfect Christian" seems to be an oxymoron.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by skulmar View Post
    I have often thought that the reason Arwen's story was so convoluted was because Tolkien didn't want his perfect elves to violate the tenants of his faith. But yeah, death by broken heart being a euphemism for suicide is definitely my head canon.
    Well...technically Arwen is only 13/16th Elven, so maybe that 3/16 'man' was leading her astray.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

There aren't, it's all Goblin propaganda.
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Not only that, but an authority on Tolkien as well. And here the rest of us Tolkien readers were pretty sure that Tolkien wrote about many flawed elves with varying degrees of "sin".

Also funny seeing someone talk about the "perfect Christian", as they are taught that everyone, including themselves, is born with a sinful nature and has to be redeemed. So "perfect Christian" seems to be an oxymoron.

- - - Updated - - -

Well...technically Arwen is only 13/16th Elven, so maybe that 3/16 'man' was leading her astray.
    My thoughts exactly lol.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

7+ Year Old Account
    The Dúnedain descend from elves and Aragorn also happens to be Arwen's first cousin (63 times removed). So seems some additional fetishes involved there.
    but they aren't elves, they are fully human, some shit about their choices way back, i rly don't remember all the details too.

but in the past it was very common cousins to marry anyway

Because humans got that good D.

because humans can be paladins

I mean two of the three Windrunners managed to get mostly immortal human dudes.

I was talking about elves being perfect Christians when it comes to the sexual part of their relationships. They practice monogamy, and adultery, extra-marital and premarital sex are unheard of within elven culture. Chastity is a Christian virtue, so in this regard they are "perfect Christians". So it's not much of a stretch to assume that they abhor suicide.

7+ Year Old Account
    Elves were designed to be hyper attractive humans, and since most fantasy writers are straight men they tend to match their race of super models with people like them, straight human men.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Women go for chadly types and humans are chadlier than elves.

Men go for softer types and elves are softer than humans.

Dwarfs kinda just...fuck each other a lot really. It's a wild time with them, I imagine.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Imagine you are a writter. You create this awesome human male character that may or may not look like you or share some of your ideals - whatever, you see some of yourself in him.

What do you do next?

You give him a hot elf girlfriend, of course!
    It's a fantasy trope at this point though so doubt (at this point) it's because of this reasoning. It's as synonymous with how Orcs are often depicted as green, quick to anger, muscle-bound "menaces" to whatever the society is in a fantasy setting.

Salty Feline Overlord Beerbill Society's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was wondering the same a couple of weeks early and my conclusion is simple enough, writters are male and want their self-inserts to bang hot elf chicks.

Windrunner sisters are the greatest example of this.

And it's a shame most of Blood Elf males are portraied without masculine traits, this kinda of attraction of Elf's to Make Humans only reforce the "cuck" stereotype they have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    I mean two of the three Windrunners managed to get mostly immortal human dudes.
    3 of 3, Don't forget Sylvanas wild attraction to Arthas and her cucklord bf Nathanos.

"... And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." - Ezekiel 25:17

"My name is Legion: for we are many." - Mark 5:9
    My characters :3

10+ Year Old Account
    next up for discussion:

"why can trees cast healing spells and why can cows drop totems and wear shoulderpads in a video game?!"
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    Dwarfs kinda just...fuck each other a lot really. It's a wild time with them, I imagine.
    It's probably the roughest time in the alliance
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerbill Society View Post
    3 of 3, Don't forget Sylvanas wild attraction to Arthas and her cucklord bf Nathanos.
    She's one of the two. Vereesa was less lucky with her pick.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    She's one of the two. Vereesa was less lucky with her pick.
    Correct. Ronin is totes not semi immortal.
    Spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    but they aren't elves, they are fully human, some shit about their choices way back, i rly don't remember all the details too.
    Nah, the Dúnedain aren't fully human being they live lifespans that are 4 times longer than human. The father of the Dúnedain, Elros, and his brother Elrond are both 5/8 Eldar. The choice they were both given was to either have the immortality of the Eldar with their fate tied to Arda or the "Gift of Men", which is basically a shorter life and their fate separated from Arda so they get to go to "LoTR heaven" when they die. Either way, their racial make-up wasn't altered, they just got to decide their fate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrage View Post
    I was talking about elves being perfect Christians when it comes to the sexual part of their relationships. They practice monogamy, and adultery, extra-marital and premarital sex are unheard of within elven culture. Chastity is a Christian virtue, so in this regard they are "perfect Christians". So it's not much of a stretch to assume that they abhor suicide.
    /shrug ... Maybe. I dunno. I don't recall any reference to Elven chastity rules.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis