Poll: You have to eliminate 2 original races which would you pick?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Trolls and gnomes, as I've understood there's supposed to be quite little of them.

Also, fuck gnomes.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    I went with gnomes and humans, and not due to faction.

I enjoy hating gnomes. Good memes.

But then I find humans so boring. Why would I want to play one in a fantasy game? Meh
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Gnomes because their theme is too technological and out of place. Also because they are horrifying squeaky infantile freak accidents, even more so with the amputees now.

Undead, so that writers won't need to figure half baked explanations whether they have free will or whether they are evil, meanwhile having every NPC of theirs be a psychotic sadist.

That way Gnomes could remain a tiny niche, like they were and undead can be written without butchering the lore.
    Last edited by Trumpcat; 2020-03-27 at 10:27 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Gnomes cause they were a last minute addition anyway and Forsaken cause they really do not fit the core identity of the Horde of tribal shamanistic cultures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Bullshit.

Gnomes existed before Draenei, therefore, Gnomes are the ones that created the doorway for sci-fi tech in WoW. Sci-fi isn't limited to just space travel - And even then, if it were, the idea that Gnomes have technolgy beyond what we have in the world means they can, and probably eventually will, have the ability to traverse space on their own.

It's exactly what you were arguing, that Draenei are the ones who opened that door - But they couldn't have, as it was already open thanks to Gnomes and Goblins. Draenei are just the ones who took the final leap - And even then, they didn't, the Naaru did. They had no technology people until they retconned them again in WoD. They stole the Exodar from Kael'thas, who stole it from the Naaru.

Goblins were just less sci-fi and more "let's put this random shit together and hope it doesn't blow up". (Spoiler: It usually blew up.)

And if we're going the "well, they're from space! therefore sci-fi!" route, Outland existed in WC3 too. Illidan goes there via a dimensional portal. Still prior to the existence of Draenei. And Orcs are aliens, that is established as early as WC1 - Are you going to argue the Draenei existed before the game with ONLY Orcs and Humans in it too?

And before you try it again, they don't need my permission for anything. That said, when I make my opinion known, I'm going to mention the things I don't like. It's really that simple.
    "But-but it wasn't that way back in 1993!"

What matters is the game we're playing now, and in the game we're playing now, Draenei are by far the most tech-savvy/sci-fi race. The Vindicaar (the Draenei built that btw), the Lightforged Warframes, freaking orbital laser racials, the tech on Argus that pre-dates 'stealing' from Kael'thas - they are clearly more technologically capable than any other race in the game and their tech leans into science.

And yes orcs are also aliens, duh (no one was arguing that they weren't?) and yet another example of the game/lore thinking outside the box of Ye' Olde Fantasy™ that some of you seem to think WoW should subscribe to.

So you can argue 'but muh WC2' until the veins in your eyes burst, I couldn't care less. The lore of those games is irrelevant (there's that word again!) to what we're playing now, as Blizz themselves have made clear through their 'retcons' and changes. Its their world, their story, their characters, and they are 100% entitled to change, update or alter any of it as they see fit.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Bullshit.

Gnomes existed before Draenei, therefore, Gnomes are the ones that created the doorway for sci-fi tech in WoW.
    No, they are not, because there is no such thing as "sci-fi tech". It is not specific technologies that make a story science fiction, but that the story focusses on their impact in some way.

Mage invents teleport spell, uses it to go on great adventure is science fiction.
    Teleportation machines are ubiquitious and used for everyday travel with no further mention in story is not.

The difference isn't the tech available, but what the story is about. A story about the impact of the development of the club on stone age culture is more sci-fi than Star Wars, because Star Wars isn't about the technology, it's about knights and wizards. The tech is just window dressing.

Gnomes and Undead. That way you only have the actual Horde/Alliance races from WC3. Undead should have never been part of the Horde anyway. Gnomes.. eh they do fit but I have to pick a second one, and I'd keep em just as a background non-playable race that makes all the dwarf copters and crazy contraptions.

I would say it would have to be Gnomes and Night Elves. Possibly Forsaken.

The Gnomes don't really need to exist. We have Dwarves which serve the Alliance "short" race and have been very close to the Humans. Gnomes as refugees seeking help makes them a little more believable, but they should have had a strained relationship with the Alliance. Being their "we need to build back our status" since they didn't participate in The Third War.

Night Elves have more of a reason to hate the Orcs than anything, but them joining the Alliance makes little to no sense considering they have no real ties with any of the Eastern Kingdom races and their interactions in the Third War weren't really team building?

Forsaken would make sense as a third faction and always have. Their goals never aligned with the Horde other than keeping the Alliance from completely killing them all. The few Forsaken who do well with other Horde races are generally those who don't seek the same things as the rest of their race.

Blizzard hasn't done much to make Gnomes and Night Elves fit better with the Alliance with never really developing the Gnomes and how they fit into the Alliance. With the current lore, it would almost make sense for the remaining Night Elves to leave the Alliance as they take matters into their own hands.

If anything though, the spotlight of Sylvanas as the Warchief from Legion to BFA actually kind of helps the Forsaken fit into the Horde. When Sylvanas left the Gates of Orgrimmar and the Forsaken guards refused to help her, it actually did speak volumes to how the Forsaken have evolved into a Horde race as they set the Horde over the person they consider their savior.

Trolls and Gnomes.

Trolls because I just dislike them, their looks, lore and stories just don't interest me.

Gnomes because they're pretty pointless. If we're gonna go with a short race, I'd rather stick with the proper fantasy race of dwarves.

I can't believe so many people don't want Undead, if not for them Id have like 3 characters.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I can't believe so many people don't want Undead, if not for them Id have like 3 characters.
    Lots of people dont like the undead, their story, the lore, their former racial leader.

Lots of people dont like whatever race you list, truth be told.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

Undead, because while I do like the forsaken as a race, their lore doesnt fit the horde in WC3 and vanillia, ironically if you had put the night elves in the horde and the undead in alliance the entire story might have been both quite different and much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Molvonos View Post
    Lots of people dont like the undead, their story, the lore, their former racial leader.

Lots of people dont like whatever race you list, truth be told.
    They are my go to Race, I love their lore, I wish Sylvanas had stayed the Racial leader and not gone all crazy. But I did support her destroying Teldrassil, I wanted her to basically Purge Kalimdor of the Alliance in general. I want to be the race in the Horde that is kind of the black sheep and there for personal gain rather than the whole Hurr Durr Honouurrr thing.

Humans -- Have you ready any topic on this forum? We're not good at this.

Gnomes -- Gnomercy. Sorry midgets, you're off the island.

From a player perspective, gnomes feel like the odd one out.

But in terms of making sence, I have to agree with nelfs and undead. Both races always were an outcast of sorts, undead from the start and nelf due to recent developments. They both have a reason to leave their factions, both are justified in feeling abandoned and betrayed. No idea what to do with DH on ally side.

3+ Year Old Account
    Gnomes and undead. Easily.

Gnomes and gnomes.

Gnomes and undead... i never once played that race in my whole wow life.. I just don't know why... I just don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Irrelevant. Bottom line is that at the end of the day, Draenei are aliens that crashed into Azeroth in a spaceship. In Legion they built a ship which literally flew through space to get to Argus (and back again).
    To be exact they didn't fly all the way to Argus. They flew through a portal that was large enough for their ship to pass through. Ala leaving from DS9, going through the wormhole, and landing on a nearby planet two steps (astronomically speaking) on the other side. Sargeras spent 25,000 years hiking across the universe to get to Azeroth.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

Ok Suppose that you worked for Blizzard and for a temporary or long period of time they were going to eliminate 2 of the original existing races in wow, however those that already have a character could keep it, but after a specific time, no new characters of that race could be made, which one would you eliminate?

Humans
    Orcs
    Night Elves
    Trolls
    Dwarves
    Undead
    Gnomes
    Tauren

All the other races stay the same.
    I'd rather kill off two Allied Races.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..