Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Arthas easily. Not just as a villain but the most interesting character overall. I do like some of the bosses that helped shaping up vanilla WoW like Onyxia, Edwin VanCleef, the leaders of the Scarlet Crusade etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Hello,

I'm curious about something.

Who is according to your opinion the most interesting villain in WoW?

I'm not necessarily interested in lore or role play reasons, but more in 'gameplay' reasons, it is to say, the manner in which the villain was depicted and interacted with inside the medium of World of Warcraft.
    It is generally agreed upon by writers that the *best* way to interact with a villain is to have the hero work on some long quest where they put plenty of time and effort into the task. And then, right at the end when the hero is about to reach the achievement or get the reward, the villain steps in and snatches it away. That sort of writing generates the *most* heat. That makes the reader or player *really* want to defeat the villain more than anything else.

Villains never do that in WoW. Its one of the ways we can identify the writers of WoW lore as being pretty terrible. It was especially noticeable with Arthas in Wrath. An image of Arthas would show up once in a while when you quested to taunt you, then he would go away. The fact they never wrote him so that he stole away some of your prizes demonstrates they suck as writers.

They did it again with Queen Azshara. He pulled the Arthas Maneuver where she would show up and taunt you and then leave. That stands out in my mind as bad writing. Most experienced writers would look at how Arthas and Queen Azshara were handled and shake their head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    It did make sense. Illidan (in his original incarnation), while not outright "Evil" was a power-mad narcissist. In WC3 he states, flat out, that everything he does is for power/magic. Not to fight the Legion or defend Azeroth. He enslaves a planet to try and keep himself safe. Just because he wasn't trying to conquer Azeroth doesn't mean he wasn't a villain.
    then blizz themselves missed it
    Even in TBC events way back then, he enslaved broken who already swore to serve him (why!?), he attacked Shattrath out of nowhere (it was never clear under his order or Kael went rogue, i talk again back in 2008), he is actually very effective fighting against the Legion and stopping their invasion on Outland, he was a big threat to Legion that demons started to defect from them and serve him out of fear seeing him the winning side
    Then we basically f8ck the best anti-legion army, because his questionable attack on Shattrath
    Hence why (i still remember it even now) a gnome (i think he was warrior?) on official blizzard forums asked in topic titles 'why we kill illidan', asking for real why do we even attack him instead of at least leave him drain the Legion or at best even win against them (back then the idea of never ending respawn wasn't in lore), blizzard official answer was 'because he drop epics'
    The backlash was as bad as u can imagine, with ban everywhere on blizz forums and deleting any thread even mention it, i was banned from posting myself because i really liked illidan (back then)
    If u were even checking official forums on EU then u surely saw it, it was sh8tstorm that resulted in ban everyone i knew who posted regular on forums, and it was why i started to see unofficial forums because getting banned for stating what they said themselves doesn't make u wish to talk with them in first place

Illidan was evil with no explanation, blizz know that, they needed to shove him as villain because lot of ppl (me included) were stating that we have no attachment to vanilla bosses, we don't feel we have to kill them, not connected to them in anyway, hence why in TBC they went out of their way to bring every minor orc character in wc2 to be a boss, exact opposite of classic, just put already-established lore characters no matter how minor they were in any position in any dungeon to give us a little connection
    It also backfired when u go kill Karagath while in classic he was a hero with even Orgrimmar bay named after him, killing Zul'jin who also is horde hero, and so on
    Why do we even kill Gronn the dragonslayer? why even attack him? He pose no threat to us in any form... but hey we need attune for SSC and TK

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannica View Post
    What? No mention of Kel'thuzad? Are you guys mad?
    Because he is a sidekick, his entire journey is sidekick to LK, and his success tribute to more success to LK
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by G3 Ghost View Post
    As far as just one off fights, I'm gonna have to go with XT-002 Deconstructor in Ulduar. The mechanics of the fight were interesting and I almost felt bad killing this childlike robot that just thought we were toys.
    Right??

/10char

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deferionus View Post
    Still probably the Lich King. He has the lore and cool factor, but he was also the clear end boss of the expansion from the beginning. You saw him interacting with everything the entire expansion. Regular dungeon bosses were singing him praise from the day you stepped into the expac. He was featured in quests. He was even planning to resurrect the player as his champions in death before things went sideways at the last moment.

I don't think any other boss has been clear cut from day 1 and been as on display as he was.
    This is my vote as well.
    My greatest fear is that one day, my MMO-Champion ignore list will run out of space.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    I agree.

I also didn't like the stuff with KJ when he basically told Sargeras to fuck off and had a change of heart at the end.

it ruined him big time.
    It actually fit KJ more than Gul'dan, Gul'dan (before retcon) knew from day one that he is going to ruin his entire race for power, KJ on other hand since TBC retcon of draenei origin was tricked to think what he is doing is the right thing
    But yeah generally it was useless, at his last moments we discover he regret it, nothing benefit here, he dies, end
    Not every character need to be 3D, sometimes 2D are effective, specially since warcraft still use cartoon-like designs
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Lich King(Arthas) or Kel'Thuzad.....everyone else was more of mustache twirling written.

Dastardly deeds....

Quote Originally Posted by Andonais View Post
    Van Cleef because he was right
    Van Cleef isn't evil
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    Medivh. If one could call him a villain.
    If u mean wc1 then it was Sargeras controlled Medivh, Medivh himself was never villain
    Thrall

Quote Originally Posted by Deferionus View Post
    Still probably the Lich King. He has the lore and cool factor, but he was also the clear end boss of the expansion from the beginning. You saw him interacting with everything the entire expansion. Regular dungeon bosses were singing him praise from the day you stepped into the expac. He was featured in quests. He was even planning to resurrect the player as his champions in death before things went sideways at the last moment.

I don't think any other boss has been clear cut from day 1 and been as on display as he was.
    This is so accurate.

Especially that the direction of storytelling changed to make things unclear and mysterious in the very worst possible way.

But Gul'dan is a really good choice too. Unfortunately he had been butchered really well in Legion. It could have been a great villian if that was the main threat of WoD, a parallel to Arthas.

Unpopular opinion but i really like how they treated sylvannas since wotlk.

Her arc is slow but clearly she got more cunning and ruthless over time. We still do not know if she even is evil... i like the mystery

I agree.

I also didn't like the stuff with KJ when he basically told Sargeras to fuck off and had a change of heart at the end.

it ruined him big time.

you could say it made sense that he was a villain in TBC but what it didn't makes sense is that it was never build up... at all.

he just went crazy and that's it.

perfect storytelling right there.
    I don't see what you mean at all. Kil'Jaeden never had a change of heart. He just said he never believed Sargeras could be defeated. He was still trying to kill the allies up until the very end. In fact they would have crashed and died on Argus if Illidan didn't open the way to Azeroth. I also thought it was good when he talked back to Sargeras because it showed he isn't a moron and has to acknowledge that they've failed time and time again with Azeroth specifically.

Onyxia and Nefarian I think were pretty awesome bad guys for their time period especially. We got to see a lot of breadcrumbs about them all throughout vanilla. In UBRS you even see Nefarian with Rend and have no idea who he is at the time. It was pretty cool. Onyxia with the Stormwind attunement chain step especially was outstanding for its time period.

Gul'dan is by far my favorite WoW baddie though. I loved him in the novels, and I loved him in WoW. I actually hate WoD but for different reasons than many. I think it could have been an amazing expansion if they dedicated more time to each badass "Warlord" as it were. These were the big guys we learned all about from day one of Warcraft. But Blizzard listened to people complaining about being tired of Orcs due to Siege of Orgrimmar lasting for so damn long. So they changed so many things. Like I still want to know what the plan was with Kargath Bladefist at first. He was never meant to die in his raid. In fact in the beta he didn't. Cho'Gall rescued him and we saw strings showing him far down the line. Blackhand being a final boss was done well. But guys like Nerzhul were done horribly. They butchered his lore and said it was just a time line change which bothered me. Nerzhul was an extremely fascinating character in the novels, especially Rise of the Horde.

In the end, the best baddie for me is Gul'dan. I suspect we still won't have seen the last of him.

don't start with Ally and Horde crap here xd

you know there will be war :/
    Sure. We should better retreat.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Mr. Manastorm. He has been in some interesting crap for quite a long time... we still don't know who tf he is.

Overlord Drakuru

I always liked the guy. Ruthless, powerful and brutal, yet sharing his power generously with loyal underlings which he loves in his own heartless way. I have done his questlines with pretty much every character I leveled over the years, we see him rise from dipshit in the woods to Overlord. In the end he gets thoroughly betrayed by us and killed by the Lich King talk about going out in style.

This terrible planet of pink-skinned freaks.
    Ner'zhul.
    Hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    It actually fit KJ more than Gul'dan, Gul'dan (before retcon) knew from day one that he is going to ruin his entire race for power, KJ on other hand since TBC retcon of draenei origin was tricked to think what he is doing is the right thing
    But yeah generally it was useless, at his last moments we discover he regret it, nothing benefit here, he dies, end
    Not every character need to be 3D, sometimes 2D are effective, specially since warcraft still use cartoon-like designs
    Ugh that Draenei retcon...

The - in your title is pretty villainous.

If we count only WoW, it would be WoD/Legion Gul'dan. From all Warcraft, Arthas.

I like guldan,hes kinda refreshing villain wise,hes not controled by some evil entity or corrupted like most wow villains,and he doesnt have some major plans of being big bad mcbaddyson,hes just....a bad dude thats angry at life and wants to fuck your shit

N'Zoth is the most interesting - unfortunately his schemes and motivations aren't as "in your face" and relatable as Arthas, Garrosh, Illidan, Gul'dan and the rest of popular villains, so most of community doesn't see him as anything other than a purple blob of tentacles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    I do especially love his character in the Azshara Warbringers cinematic, would have been nice to have more of his soft-spoken voice instead of the weird pseudo-yelling and fake whispering voice.
    His voice in that cinematic gives me shivers and I definitely agreed more of it would have been a lot cooler. N'zoth is a manipulator and that voice would have helped make that a lot more apparent in-game.