How do I block internet access via router?

Heya, I'd like ask an unconventional question :P

I have a fiber internet router at home and I am the only one who pays for it.
    My younger brother decided to become an asshole to me and other inhabitants. Puberty is funny indeed.
    All my attempts at diplomacy have failed and since I'm a very understanding guy I'd like to block his internet and wifi access on my router.
    Unfortunatelly I have no idea how to do it properly and I would like to ask for little tips

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Although this will depend on your router type and manufacturer, generally in the advanced area of the router's configuration (accessible from the gateway IP address of your home network) there will be a section called "Access Control" or something similar. Enable access control if needed, then enter the MAC address of the system you wish to deny access to the router in the settings. Once successfully applied, any hardware with that MAC address will be denied access to the router functionality and thus be unable to access the Internet via your home network.

Alternatively, your router may have parental controls in which you can block or restrict by time Internet access by certain devices on your network map or list.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2020-03-27 at 04:29 PM.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

15+ Year Old Account
    Just know that MAC's are very easy to spoof and get around the block. You are better off using the whitelist and only allowing your MAC's access, that way, unless he knows your MAC he won't be able to connect.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    If Tinkers aren't the next class in WoW I'll shit in my hands and clap then eat my shoe.

If using wireless just change the password with some completley random he can't guess lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Or if he's just using the wifi, you can just change the password. Though that can be defeated with an ethernet cable

Blocking the MAC address is the sure way to prevent access from his phone or cabled devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Blocking the MAC address is the sure way to prevent access from his phone or cabled devices.
    Whitelisting his MAC is a better option than blacklisting every other detected device; he'll have to keep checking periodically too to make sure new ones aren't being added.

All answers up + he cant have physical access to router, most of home routers have a reset and device connection (i dont remember how this method is professional called) buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by zvr View Post
    Heya, I'd like ask an unconventional question :P

I have a fiber internet router at home and I am the only one who pays for it.
    My younger brother decided to become an asshole to me and other inhabitants. Puberty is funny indeed.
    All my attempts at diplomacy have failed and since I'm a very understanding guy I'd like to block his internet and wifi access on my router.
    Unfortunatelly I have no idea how to do it properly and I would like to ask for little tips
    Or you can not act like a child.

Just tell him if he wants to use the internet he has to pay half.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post

Its a younger brother thats in puberty. The kid likely doesnt even have a job and is in the 13-17 age range. And now isnt the best time to look for a job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post

Or you know, you could actually read the post...the op has tried and tried and his brother refuses.

I mean again. The answer is simple and unless your a child thsn what the older brother should do to shut him up and make him behave is simple. Though the wording is not pg13 and the result could result in a bruised arm.

Though since i grew up in the 90s. We dealt woth stuff like this in a more straight forward and slightly violently more way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    Its a younger brother thats in puberty. The kid likely doesnt even have a job and is in the 13-17 age range. And now isnt the best time to look for a job.
    And since its the time of carebear parenting. Makes sense. At 13-17 if the kid is acting like that. Just means the parents are doing a bad job.

No kid would get away with that when you grew up in the 90s. Doesnt matter about puberty. You act like a brat. You get smacked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Closing this.

12. Do not post threads asking for tips on restricting Internet access to someone on your network (e.g. How do I limit the bandwidth my roommate uses?!). We're not here to help people chicane their roommates, friends, family, etc.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab