Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

People dying in Warcraft has 0 emotional impact on me anymore

Medivh died? Nah it's cool, he's back. Like 3 times.
    Arthas died? Nah it's cool, he'll probably be back in the Shadowlands.
    Uther died? Nah fuck it, he's almost become a side protagonist at this point with the number of appearances he's made in ghost form.
    Ysera dead? Nah she's probably alive somewhere in the dream, waiting to be revived.

Oh and by the way, in the next expansion you can basically go talk to all of them in heaven and earth.
    They're all there, just on the other side of some veil that you can easily shatter by breaking some item crafted in some Shadowlands forge.

Varian was an impactful death on me, especially the way he went out like a total fucking badass, but he's already been shown in ghost form towards the end of Legion and let me guess, Anduin will have a soulfull reunion with him in Shadowlands after the mages just open a portal from there to Azeroth.

"Can you open a portal so I can go talk to every one of my favorite characters that died plz? I'll gief you 10g thx"

Last edited by Michael Jackson; 2020-03-28 at 01:54 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Varian should be dead in the truest sense of the word, gone, lost, forever.

Because Gul'dan blew him up with Fel Magic, which destroys souls (and therefore the person).

Of course the Blizzard goon squad might retcon their own story yet again so who the fuck knows and who cares anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post

Because Gul'dan blew him up with Fel Magic, which destroys souls (and therefore the person).

Of course the Blizzard goon squad might retcon their own story yet again so who the fuck knows and who cares anyway.
    Then he is in the nether and will come back as a demon. Everything is possible with Blizzard, even if it's dumb.

So can we bring back Garrosh and have him as villain instead of this Garrosh 2.0 slut we're stuck with?

Yeah, I agree. Even though Varian's death was well made and very impactful, it gets diminished by the fact that they show us his smiling ghost to tell us "he may be dead but he's fine so you don't need to feel bad about it". It takes away from the emotional weight. It's also why I think no fantasy universe should ever allow you to explore the afterlife.

I don't agree, every time someone on my raid dies I'm sad.

Same with Illidan when first we killed him as big boss on first expansion and later coming back as big hero who just wants to save everyone

Sargeras blew the entire pantheon with fel magic and they are back and kicking, fel magic dont destroy souls, it has the power to use souls as fuel for summonings, portals, etc but it dont blow souls just by killing people with fel magic

10+ Year Old Account

It wasn't him but his stunt double!
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, what you gonna do?

Shadowlands, revivals, souls, etc - all these were always a thing in lore, of course the implications are that whatever dies might pop up in future in one way or another.

I mean, we're spending good chunk of W3 campaign reviving Kel'thuzad we killed in the same game. So just now after all these years the ball dropped for you, OP? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

Shadowlands, revivals, souls, etc - all these were always a thing in lore, of course the implications are that whatever dies might pop up in future in one way or another.

I mean, we're spending good chunk of W3 campaign reviving Kel'thuzad we killed in the same game. So just now after all these years the ball dropped for you, OP? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Well, "reviving" someone into Undeath isn't exactly the same thing as bringing that person back. It's a purposeful distinction because it reinforces the notion that dead people should stay dead and if they don't they're gonna be stuck in a cursed and generally pretty unpleasant existence that twists the very essence of who that person was to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Well, "reviving" someone into Undeath isn't exactly the same thing as bringing that person back. It's a purposeful distinction because it reinforces the notion that dead people should stay dead and if they don't they're gonna be stuck in a cursed and generally pretty unpleasant existence that twists the very essence of who that person was to begin with.
    Please, it's all same shit, different sticker.

Warcraft has so many 100% lore-consistent ways to get people and entities back from the "dead" in one form or another, that I find this sudden shock at this realization to be funny.

Please, it's all same shit, different sticker.

Warcraft has so many 100% lore-consistent ways to get people and entities back from the "dead", that I find this sudden shock at this realization to be funny.
    Like what? So far we've only seen undeath, spooky ghosts and different variations of "they were never dead to begin with" retcons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Like what? So far we've only seen undeath, spooky ghosts and different variations of "they were never dead to begin with" retcons.
    Kael'thas crystal in his ass, demonic rebirth a la Archimonde, Teron Gorefiend animation, Illidan - whatever that even was, Medivh - whatever that was... etc etc.

I mean, one should be used to this already.

I get what you're saying, but that's the thing those were exceptional moments, and I think we had to get like the Book of Medivh and the Urn of Terenas to revive him, so it wasn't just a "let me drink some water before I can cast rez spell".

And yeah we have the res spell in game but that used to be more for gameplay reasons...now...we just go to he Soul Mall and basically say hi to everyone who ever died and potentially be able to bring them back...if they don't already come back all the time on ghost form like "Hey guyz!".

My point is: if someone dies in the future expansions...why should I give a fuck? I know that some way I could go talk to them or revive them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    I get what you're saying, but that's the thing those were exceptional moments, and I think we had to get like the Book of Medivh and the Urn of Terenas to revive him, so it wasn't just a "let me drink some water before I can cast rez spell".

And yeah we have the res spell in game but that used to be more for gameplay reasons...now...we just go to he Soul Mall and basically say hi to everyone who ever died and potentially be able to bring them back...if they don't already come back all the time on ghost form like "Hey guyz!".

My point is: if someone dies in the future expansions...why should I give a fuck? I know that some way I could go talk to them or revive them.
    I mean, Shadowlands and afterlife was a thing since the very beginning. Yeah, after all these years we go there, that's how it is.

Whether to give a fuck or not is up to you. You can just sort of console yourself by the fact that this is a special circumstance.

It's not like random Billy playing ball in Goldshire gets a bit too far from the villiage, gets stabbed and eaten by a murloc and whoosh his soul pops up gets back to village and be like "meh, whatever, mom, what's for dinner?".

They also do seem to do some cover there, where these souls will not have actual recollection of their lives, so at least there is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    Medivh died? Nah it's cool, he's back. Like 3 times.
    Arthas died? Nah it's cool, he'll probably be back in the Shadowlands.
    Uther died? Nah fuck it, he's almost become a side protagonist at this point with the number of appearances he's made in ghost form.
    Ysera dead? Nah she's probably alive somewhere in the dream, waiting to be revived.

Oh and by the way, in the next expansion you can basically go talk to all of them in heaven and earth.
    They're all there, just on the other side of some veil that you can easily shatter by breaking some item crafted in some Shadowlands forge.

Varian was an impactful death on me, especially the way he went out like a total fucking badass, but he's already been shown in ghost form towards the end of Legion and let me guess, Anduin will have a soulfull reunion with him in Shadowlands after the mages just open a portal from there to Azeroth.

"Can you open a portal so I can go talk to every one of my favorite characters that died plz? I'll gief you 10g thx"
    i fix that for me:

„Cheap shit lore in Warcraft has 0 emotional impact on me anymore“

Its just poor writing. We have 235472394874923 heroes and Blizzard is terrified of just killing any of them outright for good. They argue people get upset. But by not killing any of these heroes off for good without trying to take the sting out of it, it feels pointless.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I mean, Shadowlands and afterlife was a thing since the very beginning. Yeah, after all these years we go there, that's how it is.

Whether to give a fuck or not is up to you. You can just sort of console yourself by the fact that this is a special circumstance.

It's not like random Billy playing ball in Goldshire gets a bit too far from the villiage, gets stabbed and eaten by a murloc and whoosh his soul pops up gets back to village and be like "meh, whatever, mom, what's for dinner?".

They also do seem to do some cover there, where these souls will not have actual recollection of their lives, so at least there is that.
    Yeah it was but only in retrospect after it became canon through their retcon lore reimagining and defining books.
    Up until Warcraft 3 I don't think there was any mention of reiviving people in the Warcraft 1 ans 2 lore books, nor any such spells in game aside from healing spells.

Warcraft 3 truly took it up a notch with the Altar of Kings and resurection spells and Medivh coming back. Later in WoW's time they released physical books with stories of how that happened through Aegwynn.

And the thing is I want to give a fuck especially since they make all the circumstances gut wrenching, but I just hope it won't turn into some "But for this really special occasion, we'll bring this guy/s back from the dead to do some crazy shit for an "epic" moment!".

I thought the way Terenas came back to revive us was really well thought out, he had just been released from Frostmourne so he was still there for a while before hopping off to heaven, although I never understood why Terenas had massive Paladin/Priest Holy Light powers, especially as a spirit.

And no random Billy won't come back for dinner but at this point, someone could bring him back if they wanted to. Hell that would actually be an interesting quest, some mom reads up on some necro shit to bring her dead son back and he returns Khal Drogo style and we have to help her kill him.
    Now that would be cool.

And yeah they won't have recollection at the start, but marks my words someone hands Arthas see Jaina again and his memories flood back through the power of love, which transcends all dimens- oh wait, wrong movie.

I killed a gnome. It was amusing.