Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why didn't Bolvar bring Taelia home?

So she was sent away to be kept from the horrors of the Third War. Why was she just left there in Kul Tiras for another ten to fifteen years after it had ended, with her parentage never even revealed? Makes very little sense.
    Last edited by kansor; 2020-03-28 at 04:02 PM. Reason: title typo
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    She lost against Arthas for purpose. She wanted to feed Quel'thalas to hungering darkness.

* Leans close, whispering *

Because she was written into the story in BFA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by kansor View Post
    So she was sent away to be kept from the horrors of the Third War. Why was she just left there in Kul Tiras for another ten to fifteen years after it had ended, with her parentage never even revealed? Makes very little sense.
    becuase she didnt exist 2 years ago

10+ Year Old Account
    We could only assume at this point. Since she was only introduced in BfA I assume there can be many explanations.

1. It was safer in Kul Tiras and Bolvar was an over protective kind :P
    2. She liked it in Kul Tirus, maybe it seemed a second home to her due to her time spent there.
    3. She had education training of sorts in Kul Tirus
    4. Bolvar was also so busy being a sort of regent and advisory to Anduin that he hadn't the time to go back for her, what with the King being missing. And by the time the king came back there was the expedition to Northrend and... well... we know what happened there
    5. Even after the Third war had ended Azeroth had to deal with Defias attacks, Scourge invasions (x2), Legion invasions, Cataclysms, Horde and Alliance continued war, meanwhile Kul Tiras prior to BfA only had rumoured that they had some Naga raids... thats it. I think i'd stay in Kul'Tiras too :P

As I said, no official response so might as well speculate :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-03-28 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    Doesn't mean there can't or shouldn't be a justification.
    Bolvars a patriarchal asshole who only wanted a son, so he tossed his daughter away to "protect her" then never returned, meanwhile helped raise Anduin. .

In the spirit of lore lately: just come up with some head canon that seems plausible to you and go rampage on forums to defend it.

They create a character or a scene to serve the current plot, but it's inconsistent with previously established lore elements or straight out controversial. I'd say the writers are unfamiliar with the lore details, it's not that they can't write a bigger plot. They are just not supervised to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    * Leans close, whispering *

Because she was written into the story in BFA.
    Fun fact: She was written by a concept artist.

But I think it has something to do with Bolvar not feeling Stormwind is safe.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Obviously like others said it was because she was only written in as a new character for this expansion. but if you need a plausible reason:

Sending a young woman as a ward to another noble house was often a political move and intended to eventually marry that women into that house. Perhaps the intention was to eventually marry her to Tandred Proudmoore.

It's not like he completely ignored her. He sent letters. She was being trained and educated in a good place, and based on her age, it seems she was still rather young when the expedition to Northrend happened (she's still a cadet at the start of BfA, afterall). Had he survived that as a something other than an eternally burning lich king, he may have visited. Given that Kul Tiras withdrew from the Alliance after the events of Theramore and Daelin, and given his position as regent of Stormwind, it may have been deemed too political to casually visit Kul Tiras.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    We could only assume at this point. Since she was only introduced in BfA I assume there can be many explanations.

2. She liked it in Kul Tirus, maybe it seemed a second home to her due to her time spent there.
    3. She had education training of sorts in Kul Tirus
    4. Bolvar was also so busy being a sort of regent and advisory to Anduin that he hadn't the time to go back for her, what with the King being missing. And by the time the king came back there was the expedition to Northrend and... well... we know what happened there
    5. Even after the Third war had ended Azeroth had to deal with Defias attacks, Scourge invasions (x2), Legion invasions, Cataclysms, Horde and Alliance continued war, meanwhile Kul Tiras prior to BfA only had rumoured that they had some Naga raids... thats it. I think i'd stay in Kul'Tiras too :P

As I said, no official response so might as well speculate :P
    Personally I'd go with a combination of 4 & 5, in Vanilla alone Alliance were dealing Defias just to the west, a Black Dragon sponsored Horde just to the North, literally everything about the Plaguelands, not to Mention Bolvar had to deal with Onyxia literally 3 feet to his left, by the time he was rid of her efforts to run the kingdom into the ground, their was a Scourg invasion

10+ Year Old Account
    Bolvar kinda forgot he had a kid.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Because nobles basically always shoved off their offspring to other houses regardless of if it is in the kingdom or not. Taelia is a child of noble birth, the true question should be why wasn't she basically kept under lock and key to be brought up to marry into the house she was shoved off into which is what happened to noble children

Good replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Seems like the simplest and best answer. Lots of dangerous stuff happening and until recently, Kul Tiras was much safer. Stormwind had problems with the Defias, the blood plague, black dragons, and was attacked by Scourge. Nobles were kidnapped for ransom. It was even attacked by Deathwing though by that time Bolvar was already gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyjscizzle View Post
    Bolvars a patriarchal asshole who only wanted a son, so he tossed his daughter away to "protect her" then never returned, meanwhile helped raise Anduin. .
    This could be part of it too. It would give him some character whereas he's currently pretty bland.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyr View Post
    Sending a young woman as a ward to another noble house was often a political move and intended to eventually marry that women into that house. Perhaps the intention was to eventually marry her to Tandred Proudmoore.
    And as spice on top, this could add some drama now that Tandred is back (and she presumably doesn't want to get hitched). It makes a lot of sense because we're told she was initially sent to Daelin Proudmoore and that Daelin gave her to Cyrus Crestfall to raise.

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    Given that Kul Tiras withdrew from the Alliance after the events of Theramore and Daelin, and given his position as regent of Stormwind, it may have been deemed too political to casually visit Kul Tiras.
    It makes sense that Bolvar wouldn't visit KT, but having Taelia sail to Stormwind wouldn't be a problem, so this doesn't work.
    She lost against Arthas for purpose. She wanted to feed Quel'thalas to hungering darkness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Externally, because she didn't exist until Battle for Azeroth.

Internally, because it seems Kul'Tiras had left the Alliance in the wake of the Third War, alienated due to the Alliance's seemingly tacit approval of Jaina's actions during the Founding of Durotar, wherein Daelin had attempted to annex Theramore and Jaina allowed the Horde to run through Theramore and kill Daelin (as she wanted to preserve the still-wary ceasefire between the Alliance and Horde rather than reignite a new war right on the heels of everyone patching themselves up from Hyajl). So with this in mind, Bolvar may not have been able to reach Kul'Tiras in order to bring Taelia home, considering the frosty reception the Alliance got even before people realized Jaina was on the ship.

- - - Updated - - -

It makes sense that Bolvar wouldn't visit KT, but having Taelia sail to Stormwind wouldn't be a problem, so this doesn't work.
    If Kul'Tiras cut off communication with the Alliance, there's no way for him to have sent word to her, either. Remember that mages capable of teleports/portals are a rarity in-lore, and portals are a much bigger deal than they are ingame.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    If Kul'Tiras cut off communication with the Alliance, there's no way for him to have sent word to her, either. Remember that mages capable of teleports/portals are a rarity in-lore, and portals are a much bigger deal than they are ingame.
    We know Bolvar did send letters to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Externally, because she didn't exist until Battle for Azeroth.

Internally, because it seems Kul'Tiras had left the Alliance in the wake of the Third War, alienated due to the Alliance's seemingly tacit approval of Jaina's actions during the Founding of Durotar, wherein Daelin had attempted to annex Theramore and Jaina allowed the Horde to run through Theramore and kill Daelin (as she wanted to preserve the still-wary ceasefire between the Alliance and Horde rather than reignite a new war right on the heels of everyone patching themselves up from Hyajl). So with this in mind, Bolvar may not have been able to reach Kul'Tiras in order to bring Taelia home, considering the frosty reception the Alliance got even before people realized Jaina was on the ship.

- - - Updated - - -

There's also the fact that Taelia is about the same age as Anduin, It's possible that besides exchanging letters with her, Bolvar couldn't get a ship arranged to bring her back, along with simply being safer in Kul'Tiras as a few rumored Naga attacks aren't as bad as Defias, the Dark Horde, along with the farther away but still on the same continent Scourge, Hakkar, and the fact Onyxia was keeping him busy politically from about 3ft to the left

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The salient reason I can think of as to why Bolvar kept Taelia in Kul Tiras would be the Defias Brotherhood, at least initially. Bolvar was acting regent of Stormwind, and the presence of Taelia would mean that he would have a glaring weak spot in form of his young daughter - but with her safely out of reach of VanCleef, Bolvar could confront the Defias without looking too much to the safety of his own. Then you have the continual falling dominoes of events that formed Classic's loose story-arc, such as the infiltration of the Black Dragonflight among Stormwind's nobility, the rising threat of the Scourge and Naxxramas, the Legion stirring as the Dark Portal opened, and finally the full resurgence of the Scourge with WotLK.

There was never really a decent window to have Taelia brought back to the mainland following the Third War. By the time Varian had returned to Stormwind there was too much conflict in the kingdom to really mount a return. Taelia had likely already established her life at that point, and Bolvar further might not have wished to disrupt it and immerse his daughter in further danger and intrigue.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, Stormwind never really got much safer. It was under threat by the Defias, the king was missing, the Gnolls kep shitting all over supply lines and villages, and the city itself was infested with black dragons in disguise trying to get the city destroyed. That's just in vanilla. By the time Wrath hits, the dark portal has reopened and spewed demons all over the place a few days ride from Stormwind and the Scourge attacked the city, tons of civilians were killed and raised spurring on the Northrend campaign.

Never at any point would any father in his right mind say, "hey I think it's a good time for my daughter to come home from a reasonably uneventful and safe island."

A frigging dragon aspect attacks the city and blows some of it up right after Bolvar becomes lich king, why anyone raises kids there is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyr View Post
    Obviously like others said it was because she was only written in as a new character for this expansion. but if you need a plausible reason:

Reverse flip, kultiras left the alliance on bad terms after the 3rd war. Bolivar was possibly the highest ranking figure post 3rd war in the alliance after varian went missing and aunduin was too young to command so she could hae been a political prisoner / politics prevented her return.

Or The Eastern Kingdoms were never really a safe haven even after the 3rd war?

1: Classic
    - Defias Brotherhood, the masons guild who rebuilt Stormwind then promptly betrayed by the nobility was around looking for revenge
    - Bolvar was suspicious of the caretaker of Anduin, who turned out to be Onyxia in the end.

2: TBC:
    - The Dark Portal was reopened and the danger of a new demonic invasion loomed over the world again. The Blasted Lands being not that far from the Alliance capital..
    - Plus when things look to turn out to be fine, the Lich King's undead forces assault the major cities

3: WotLK:
    - He was on the front and leading the charge did not go that well for him.

Maaybe during MoP, but he wasn't around anymore.
    Last edited by Difuid; 2020-03-30 at 01:28 PM.