What video games were given the wrong rating certificate?

As in should have been a 15 when it was 12 etc

I would say most wrestling games.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

There is no wrong ratings, only stupid criteria on part of the rating boards.

Let's look at Uncharted rated T, where you literally shoot people and kill them but because the game is tame on blood and has no swearing so it's all good. Meanwhile Persona gets tagged with an M rating just because a few F or S bombs are dropped and there might be a chick in a bikini at some point.

Both of the ratings are correct, it's the criteria on the part of the ESRB that is terrible. Granted ESRB is by far the worst at this shit, PEGI and CERO are no where near as bad as them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oblivion originally shipped with a T rating, until it was discovered that there were graphic depictions of severely mutilated corpses (including castration) and that it was possible to mod in topless female characters.

Needless to say, the ESRB lost their minds.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    There is no wrong ratings, only stupid criteria on part of the rating boards.

Let's look at Uncharted rated T, where you literally shoot people and kill them but because the game is tame on blood and has no swearing so it's all good. Meanwhile Persona gets tagged with an M rating just because a few F or S bombs are dropped and there might be a chick in a bikini at some point.

Both of the ratings are correct, it's the criteria on the part of the ESRB that is terrible. Granted ESRB is by far the worst at this shit, PEGI and CERO are no where near as bad as them.
    ^

The ESRB and moral guardians have held back games as a medium for decades. Retailers refused to stock AO rated games and console publishers hardly (if ever) certify AO games for their platform, which in turn has in turn restricted what developers could create, as they're not going to waste their time working on an unprofitable game. It's telling that most AO games you can get are imported from Japan, rather than created in the West.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Oblivion originally shipped with a T rating, until it was discovered that there were graphic depictions of severely mutilated corpses (including castration) and that it was possible to mod in topless female characters.

Needless to say, the ESRB lost their minds.
    Don't forget the Hot Coffee outrage, where moral guardians gave Rockstar shit for a mod that players created for GTA.

- - - Updated - - -

I personally don't play eroge games, but I for one welcome their increasing popularity, if only to encourage the West to come out of its shell and create more unrestrained art.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Don't forget the Hot Coffee outrage, where moral guardians gave Rockstar shit for a mod that players created for GTA.
    Not entirely accurate. Rockstar themselves created the minigame/sex animations/etc. All the mod did was expose/grant access to the content - Rockstar knew that an AO rating would have wrecked their sales and so they didn't ship GTA with any official way to play around with that stuff.

Rockstar initially denied responsibility, but when people found the same data in the console versions (which you couldn't mod back then), it confirmed that the devs themselves created the data used for the Hot Coffee content.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-03-28 at 06:35 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

and that it was possible to mod in topless female characters.
    Man... if they could rate based off mods that COULD be created, the only rating for PC would be M.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Man... if they could rate based off mods that COULD be created, the only rating for PC would be M.
    Sadly, pretty much. The issue with Oblivion was that the mod exposed a texture that was actually in the game files. And ESRB basically had the stance that hey, if your game ships with mature content in the files, its going to have a Mature rating - even if that content isn't accessible by normal means.

Sadly, pretty much. The issue with Oblivion was that the mod exposed a texture that was actually in the game files. And ESRB basically had the stance that hey, if your game ships with mature content in the files, its going to have a Mature rating - even if that content isn't accessible by normal means.
    Reminds me of a game that got shut down because it was being created by a chinese company and they found anti china things hidden in the files. Company got shut down too iirc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Reminds me of a game that got shut down because it was being created by a chinese company and they found anti china things hidden in the files. Company got shut down too iirc.
    Wouldn't doubt it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't there a BMX game that was given a Mature rating which then got changed to an AO rating just before release?
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity