Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Stupid myths about lore of Warcraft

In continuation of my topic about Sveta, I decided to create a theme with all the silly myths about Laura Warcraft, which for some reason are very common among the community and which constantly appear in various discussions.

1.Light is God. Reviewed here https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ght-is-not-God

2.We fought only with the avatars of the Old Gods. One of the oldest and most stupid myths. People are too accustomed to think about the great power of the Old Gods and consider it inconceivable that the players defeated them. But the thing is that these were Old Gods weakened by their imprisonment and even after liberation they were very weak. The Chronicles explicitly states that Ktun was very weak after his release and that if he regains full strength, no army can stop him. One of the main arguments of this myth is the size of the Old Gods, because they are too small in the game. Well, you have to remember that we saw the Old Gods the size of a planet, so most likely the size of the Old God is related to his strength. The weaker the Old God, the less he is.

3.Galakrond is stronger than Aspects. Also a pretty old myth. Apparently, it’s too difficult for people to read the Dawn of the Aspects or at least open Wowpedia and read that the Aspects fought with Galakrond when they were proto-dragons. That was BEFORE they became Aspects. Also a variation of this stupid myth is the claims of Arthas and the Scourge fans that if Arthas could resurrect Galakrond, he would easily defeat the Aspects or Deathwing. No. This is nonsense. Galakrond, dead or alive, has no chance against any of the Aspects, especially against all at once.

4. Aspects received power from the Keepers. Another nonsense from people who can not open the Chronicles. The Keepers only acted as guides for the Titans, they transferred precisely the power of the Titans, and not their own. In the Chronicles it is written that
    Ra CHANNELED the powers of Aman'thul
    Freya CALLED Eonar
    Freya BESEECHED Eonar
    Loken CALLED Norgannon
    Archaedas ASKED Khaz'goroth

5. The power of Arthas. One of my most hated myths. Many people for some reason are sure that Arthas is some kind of god of death and he is incredibly powerful, because he killed us. Firstly, Arthas did not play with us in battle, he fought with all his fury (Chronicles) and it was a long and difficult fight. Secondly, the same Illidan in the Black Temple quite easily defeated the heroes and Akama, stunned them and prepared to kill them, but Maiev saved them. Thirdly, our help against Arthas was not as steep as against the rest of the bosses. For example, to defeat Ki'lJaeden, who didn’t even come to the full, needed the help of blue dragons and the avatar of the Sunwell, and she could only stun him for a while, sacrificing her life. Well, do not forget that 1 to 1 Arthas is weaker than Lei Shen, as mentioned on Twitter.

6. The Chronicles are not canon. A rather new myth, but no less stupid. In one of their responses, Blizzard called the Chronicles the opinion of the Titans. But after they were asked whether this means that the Chronicles is not a canon, they answered that the Chronicles are still canon, and their answer meant that not all information was disclosed in the Chronicles and therefore there is so little information about the Black Empire and the Shadowlands, but the information that already known is still canon.

7.Azshara was equal in power to Archimonde at the time of Wota. Stupid myth that went from misquoted from Wowpedia. The book itself said that only Archimonde and Sargeras were stronger than Azshara. It was never said that she was equal to Archimonde.

8.Undead are immune to the effects of the Void. Many people think that because the Scourge was immune to the whispers of the Old Gods, all undead have such immunity. No. The Scourge did not hear Yogg-Saron because the Lich King's voice was louder than the whisper of Yogg-Saron. however, do not forget that it was Yogg-Saron, far from its full strength. In one of the Horde quests, there is a Forsaken who complains of a dark whisper, and in the book Storm Fury, the Forsaken and Sylvanas personally were exposed to the Nightmare.

9.The Void is afraid of Death/Sylvanas. Another relatively new myth that emerged from the comic strip about Sylvanas. In this comic strip, Nether creatures shouted for Alleria to kill Sylvanas because she serves a true enemy. But many forget that everything looked as if the Void distorted Alleria's own thoughts. For example, the creatures claimed that Silvermoon's throne belongs to Alleria, but this does not mean that it is true. I mean, the Void wasn’t particularly worried about the endless army of demons with fallen Titan, but Sylvanas? Oh yes, it scares all Void creatures.

10. All undead go into the Maw. The stupid myth that Sylvanas fans came up with based on Edge of Night. It’s easier for them to think that all undead go into the Maw after death than to admit that Sylvanas is so bad that she deserves to be in the Maw.

11. Fel is more powerfull than Arcane. A fairly common myth. For some reason, many people believe that fel magic is much stronger than the arcane and the average warlock is much more powerful than the average mage. But this is only partially true. Fel is indeed better suited for destruction. But that does not make it more powerfull. The arcane is more flexible and practical. For example, the arcane allows you to create pocket universes and it is the arcane that allows you to manipulate time. So in the battle of an experienced warlock and a mage, a warlock, of course, can do more harm, but a mage can simply freeze him in time. And something else. Yes, the Pantheon was destroyed because of their weakness for fel. But it works both ways. Demon hunters can subdue their inner demons with the help of arcane tattoos and Khadgar can dispel fel by the power of Arcane. The Pantheon also lost because they fought against Sargeras. Sargeras even after the destruction of Mardum was a Titan. He was not vulnerable to the arcane and therefore the Titans could not damage him as much as he could damage them.

So, maybe I forgot something, so if you know any other myths, please write.
    Last edited by darkoms; 2020-05-04 at 02:48 PM.

About what is or isn't canon: there have been so many retcons that even that can't be answered for sure. What is canon today may very well not be canon tomorrow. Chronicles is a prime example of that: why would you write a series of books (which already retcon a lot of stuff) only to retcon them afterwards, as IIRC already happened? The "Chronicles is from the Titan's perspective" excuse is obviously just a way to both keep some lore paths open for the future and excuse any mistakes/retcons commited by the books.

Because of this fluid canon, discussing Warcraft lore has become increasingly frustrating, disappointing and also pretty much pointless.
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by guisadop View Post
    "Chronicles is from the Titan's perspective"
    Still not sure how they managed to know every detail of my stupid BRD run but weren't aware of what Sargeras witnessed.

Also, if the titans get murdered by Sargeras, how is the rest of the chronicles thereafter from their perspective? Ra-den falls into a stupor because he's convinced the titans are gone.

It's very confusing.

About what is or isn't canon: there have been so many retcons that even that can't be answered for sure. What is canon today may very well not be canon tomorrow. Chronicles is a prime example of that: why would you write a series of books (which already retcon a lot of stuff) only to retcon them afterwards, as IIRC already happened? The "Chronicles is from the Titan's perspective" excuse is obviously just a way to both keep some lore paths open for the future and excuse any mistakes/retcons commited by the books.

Because of this fluid canon, discussing Warcraft lore has become increasingly frustrating, disappointing and also pretty much pointless.
    People (Pyromancer) have been telling you for YEARS that the Chronicles are written from the Titan's perspective and you shat on them and when Blizzard finally confirmed it true, "ermagerd that's just an excuse to make more stories"... Are you for real???

You know, maybe it's just you that and the people like you who weren't smart enough to figure out the *obvious* hints that Blizzard gave us? If you have no clue about the lore ofc every single plot twist will seem like an asspull.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Still not sure how they managed to know every detail of my stupid BRD run but weren't aware of what Sargeras witnessed.

Also, if the titans get murdered by Sargeras, how is the rest of the chronicles thereafter from their perspective? Ra-den falls into a stupor because he's convinced the titans are gone.

It's very confusing.
    Aman'thul is the being who gave Nozdormu his foreknowledge and access to chronomancy, so it's highly probable the Titans pretty much know everything, past and future, in as much detail as they desire. Given that "the Titans' perspective" is itself nearly omniscient in that sense, it's really not any kind of real demotion in terms of canon. Additionally, we had canon well before "Chronicle" ever existed, so the fact that it's from the Titans' perspective changes nothing insofar as discussing lore is concerned.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I feel like obsessing harder about the lore than Blizzard does is a mistake. Particularly on the chronicles example. Or that we've never heard from Galakrond whatsoever since WotLK so who cares?

This coming from a guy who is subbed to 2 WoW lore analysis channels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Aman'thul is the being who gave Nozdormu his foreknowledge and access to chronomancy, so it's highly probable the Titans pretty much know everything, past and future, in as much detail as they desire. Given that "the Titans' perspective" is itself nearly omniscient in that sense, it's really not any kind of real demotion in terms of canon. Additionally, we had canon well before "Chronicle" ever existed, so the fact that it's from the Titans' perspective changes nothing insofar as discussing lore is concerned.
    I personally took "perspective of time lines." as two parts. The in lore and real world answers.

In lore as you said already about bronze dragons and aman'thul. Can't protect the true timeline unless you already know everything about it. So in lore what is written is what happens in the true timeline.

Real world answer is likely "sigh, really you could as anything but the answer is obvious to everyone that you can't put into Chronicles things that have not happened yet or not put into story yet that's in the past.". Essentially stupid question gets such answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post

It's very confusing.
    they were also shocked and surprised by Sargeras' betrayal.

Aman'thul, as the Time Titan, didn't really see anything in the future nor he tried to stop it before Sargeras even became evil.

so people trying to justify it with Well, he saw it coming since he is a time ruler should possibly rethink that.

- - - Updated - - -

btw, you forgot about the most famous myth

Azshara being stronger than or on par with any demon lord during WotA because the trilogy says so

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    they were also shocked and surprised by Sargeras' betrayal.

Aman'thul, as the Time Titan, didn't really see anything in the future nor he tried to stop it before Sargeras even became evil.

so people trying to justify it with Well, he saw it coming since he is a time ruler should possibly rethink that.

- - - Updated - - -

btw, you forgot about the most famous myth

Azshara being stronger than or on par with any demon lord during WotA because the trilogy says so
    Oh yes, I forgot about it)

One that i see over and over is: Nozdormu no longer can become Murozond because Murozond is dead in End Time and Nozdormu lost his powers fighting Deathwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargerus View Post
    One that i see over and over is: Nozdormu no longer can become Murozond because Murozond is dead in End Time and Nozdormu lost his powers fighting Deathwing.
    ''United,’ ” Ysera cut in. “Yes, we have been very united over the millennia, have we not? Neltharion . . . Malygos . . .” She looked as if she intended to say more, but with an apologetic glance at Nozdormu, she quieted.

“Do not leave me out,” the bronze grimly added. He stretched his wings. “Call him Murozond, lord of the infinite dragonflight, if you like, but that accursed dragon was my far future self and so I am to blame for his evils just as Neltharion was to blame for what he later did as Deathwing. . . .”

Alexstrasza inserted herself at their center again. “Nay, Nozdormu! No one here finds fault with you for what you have not done! You fought alongside others against Murozond and altered that future forever! Had there been even the remotest blame on your part, it was erased with Murozond’s undoing!”

Kalec and Ysera dipped their heads in agreement. The bronze’s tail slowly slid back and forth, a sign of his gratitude for such words. Then his mood darkened again.''

Honestly, even I don’t know how to interpret this dialogue, so it’s quite possible that this is not a myth

Why did the titans need Discs of Norgannon then?
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Post updated. Added myths about Azshara, Void and undead.

The funny thing about the last point is that the Void literally has the same attitude with Turalyon. Does it mean that Turalyon is also the chosen one?

As for myself, I add the idea that Sylvanas was ruined or villain-batted in BfA. She's been a villain since Classic, and if you thought she was an anti-hero until BfA you weren't paying any attention to her story, fanboy or not. There's a reason why she went to hell as far back as WotLK.

Which brings me to my next myth. The idea that undead automatically go to hell. This is a false claim and there is literally no indication whatsoever in the story. It's just a lie Sylvanas fanboy come up with to try and justify why Sylvanas went to hell.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-03-29 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    The funny thing about the last point is that the Void literally has the same attitude with Turalyon. Does it mean that Turalyon is also the chosen one?

As for myself, I add the idea that Sylvanas was ruined or villain-batted in BfA. She's been a villain since Classic, and if you thought she was an anti-hero until BfA you weren't paying any attention to her story, fanboy or not. There's a reason why she went to hell as far back as WotLK.

Which brings me to my next myth. The idea that undead automatically go to hell. This is a false claim and there is literally no indication whatsoever in the story. It's just a lie Sylvanas fanboy come up with to try and justify why Sylvanas went to hell.
    No. The Void reacts very calmly to Turalyon and tries to convince Alleria to free him from the slavery of the Light. I think this just shows that the Void only perverts the thoughts of Alleria. Alleria loves Turalyon, but due to the action of Xe'ra, she believes that Turalyon is enslaved to the Light. While she considers Sylvanas an enemy because she is the undead and the leader of the Horde.

Oh sure, thanks for another myth!

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    Why did the titans need Discs of Norgannon then?
    The same reason you and I need paper and pencil - a method of recording said knowledge, probably for use by the Keepers.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "In one of their responses, Blizzard called the Chronicles the opinion of the Titans."

Is one of the most bullshit excuses to cover up shitty retcons and getting called out for changing the "canon" they said was going to be the infallible story of Warcraft when it was first being discussed to come out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    I personally took "perspective of time lines." as two parts. The in lore and real world answers.

In lore as you said already about bronze dragons and aman'thul. Can't protect the true timeline unless you already know everything about it. So in lore what is written is what happens in the true timeline.

Real world answer is likely "sigh, really you could as anything but the answer is obvious to everyone that you can't put into Chronicles things that have not happened yet or not put into story yet that's in the past.". Essentially stupid question gets such answer.
    The real-world answer is that in a game with time travel, metacosmic journeying, and time-wimey balls its way too easy to back yourself into a corner where certain events have to be changed in order to make current events flow properly. Having a reference that is an ironclad 100% inerrant source of information just makes the each retcon look worse, especially when it goes against said inerrant source. The problem of "Chronicle" as I see it isn't in the fact it's no longer 100% inerrant, but that it was initially advertised as such by Blizzard - if it had been sold as "from the Titan's perspective" initially you wouldn't really have a problem. It's still the history of the main timeline as it currently exists, and thus still very informative and gives us a backbone of canon for use (just like the UVG, the various novels, short stories, and comics before it).

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    "In one of their responses, Blizzard called the Chronicles the opinion of the Titans."

Is one of the most bullshit excuses to cover up shitty retcons and getting called out for changing the "canon" they said was going to be the infallible story of Warcraft when it was first being discussed to come out.
    an encyclopedia from a omniscient narrator.

they also openly stated that it will not be from a character point of view.

I wanted to buy those books but after that, nah thanks.

the art is really good though.
    Last edited by DemonHunter18; 2020-03-29 at 01:25 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    People (Pyromancer) have been telling you for YEARS that the Chronicles are written from the Titan's perspective and you shat on them and when Blizzard finally confirmed it true, "ermagerd that's just an excuse to make more stories"... Are you for real???

You know, maybe it's just you that and the people like you who weren't smart enough to figure out the *obvious* hints that Blizzard gave us? If you have no clue about the lore ofc every single plot twist will seem like an asspull.
    Oh bullshit, Metzen said it was literally the "bible" of Warcraft, meant to contain the exact lore as checked by the internal writers/historians at Blizzard in 2012. To coincide with the Diablo Lore book.

The book came out in 2016. It wasn't even said it was meant to be from "the Titans perspective" and not until after many People had pointed out how new storylines and in-game stuff had gone against the books which were meant to be used as a solid foundation of lore going forward.

Stop defending them for making up shitty excuses to cover up shit tier writers.