Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I still can't think of a videogame review that made a journalist a laughing stock like the "0/10, broken and unbeatable" one because some journalist was fishing on the wrong side of a ramp for hours.
    The cuphead tutorial one was up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Then again, game design has to be intuitive. Most people are not playing games to work, but to have fun and relax. I have seen way too much shit being excused via "git gud"...
    On the other hand - some game journalists really, really should stop being braindead when playing games. You have done that for years, can't you really figure some things out or have a bit faster reaction time?
    There is nothing git gud about Nier at all tbh, it just has janky, non intuitive and flat out weird mechanics just there to be weird. Automata cleaned all this shit up thanks to platinum, but all of Taro's work before Automata has shit gameplay that is like this.

If they don't alter the gameplay in this not only will reviewers shit on the game again, all the new fans brought in by automata will likely shit on it as well. It has really good music and probably a better story then Automata to most fans but that won't be enough to get everyone through the terrible gameplay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    The cuphead tutorial one was up there.
    That wasn't a review though, and cuphead actually scored very well with journalists as does dark souls, sekiro, nioh etc. Games don't get review scores docked for not having easy modes for the most part, ofc maybe a few exceptions can be named but no where close to the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    There is nothing git gud about Nier at all tbh, it just has janky, non intuitive and flat out weird mechanics just there to be weird. Automata cleaned all this shit up thanks to platinum, but all of Taro's work before Automata has shit gameplay that is like this.

If they don't alter the gameplay in this not only will reviewers shit on the game again, all the new fans brought in by automata will likely shit on it as well. It has really good music and probably a better story then Automata to most fans but that won't be enough to get everyone through the terrible gameplay.

- - - Updated - - -

That wasn't a review though, and cuphead actually scored very well with journalists as does dark souls, sekiro, nioh etc. Games don't get review scores docked for not having easy modes for the most part, ofc maybe a few exceptions can be named but it's not reality.
    Sure thing Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Sure thing Tech.
    https://www.opencritic.com/game/1792/cuphead
    https://www.opencritic.com/game/1520/dark-souls-iii
    https://www.opencritic.com/game/76/bloodborne
    https://www.opencritic.com/game/6630...dows-die-twice
    https://www.opencritic.com/game/3539/nioh
    https://www.dualshockers.com/the-gam...-winners-list/

Yep, sure thing. Games don't lose critical praise from journalists for being harder then the norm or lacking easy modes. Any further remarks? I thought this bullshit meme would die when the press literally handed GOTY to Sekiro but alas... memes die hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kingdom Hearts needs to come to PC, would take that over Zero Horizon Dawn.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

I really really loved nier automata and everything about it amazing. I had no idea about this was such a complicated universe and had other games before it but I had no chance to play them and I see that they are very old. Read everything on nier's wiki but it was too complicated. wish there was a way to experience all the games.

anyway even if I don't understand the story as a whole, i would buy it just for the soudtracks alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    For those curious, I can give a simplified rundown of the events up to Automata..probably.(spoilers if you want to play through the PC version for Replicant)

Drakengard 1, the main protagonist Caim was a psychopath and it really makes you feel killing isn't fun because there was nothing good about killing as Caim unless you are a psychopath. During one of the endings, while Caim and his dragon were fighting some monster queen, they were transported to another dimension because of energies or some shit to early 2000s Japan. Caim and the Dragon defeated the Queen. The JSDF shoot down Caim and his Dragon, the end.

Nier. There are 2 versions, Nier gestalt the MC is a father and Yonah is the daughter. In Replicant the MC Nier is the brother and Yonah the sister. The story is more or less the same with obvious differences.

Nier takes place after that one specific ending in Drakengard 1. The Queen that was defeated ended up having a virus that started spreading to wipe out humanity(fun timing). Project Gestalt was created because the syndrome couldn't be stopped by regular science so they used something from the corpse of the dragon. Essentially what the project was to do was to create clones of humanity that was resistant to the syndrome and transfer souls from human bodies to replicant(the clones) bodies.

Humans as we know them have already died out by the time you get to play the game. However their souls still existed as something as shades. These shades needed to reunite with their replicant partner which was clone of the original human. This was part of the project, the souls existed in this shade form while the replicant bodies adjusted to the world. However the replicant bodies started to become self aware and develop their own persona. When the shades came to claim their bodies, obvious problems occurred.

Nier the MC replicant killed the Shadowlord which was the human Nier's soul. The shades started breaking down. Without their original souls the replicant bodies developed a malfunction called the black scrawl which eventually killed the replicant, it was thought to be a disease by the character as he spends most the game trying to save replicant Yonah. The replicants die out by 4200 which is the complete end of humanity.

If you witnessed the tale of the twins in Automata you'll understand the twins that failed were the ones from the first Nier game, they failed to protect the Shadowlord. Those twins are over 8000 years old. The twins jobs were to observe the replicants and protect the shades. The androids have long since been in place to assist humanity.

The Machines attacked a thousand or so years after the humans became extinct. We learned who their leaders were which was the Terminals or Red girls. As for the Androids shot caller... we don't really know. Supposedly it was a singular Android called Zinna who created the false humanity. Its a bit weird and honestly its best to not delve to deep on that bit as parts of it are from interviews, stage plays and concerts with contradictions and speculation.

The stories require you to almost 100% the game to get the full picture and even then it isn't enough as some story is told via the concerts or the stage play.