Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    There are some skills that can be interrupted, and some that can't. With very little indication of which is which.
    The standard UI marks non-interruptable spells with a fat ass shield symbol and bigger castbar. Very well to tell from the normal castbar.

What the standard Ui does not show is if an enemy casting an uninterruptable spell can be stunned or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    The standard UI marks non-interruptable spells with a fat ass shield symbol and bigger castbar. Very well to tell from the normal castbar.

What the standard Ui does not show is if an enemy casting an uninterruptable spell can be stunned or not.
    I guess I haven't used the standard UI in so long that I didn't know that. Probably because the standard UI had been so bad for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    often the tank is the only one interrupting in a run, the dps just don't interrupt at all... there are so many of them... how do they not learn how to interrupt?
    Because the leveling experience doesn't challenge them at all, as such interrupts are basically never required while leveling and thus they never learn to use them.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

I've leveled 4 characters to 120 in the last few months and I can't remember ever using a single interrupt while leveling. It's just not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I guess I haven't used the standard UI in so long that I didn't know that. Probably because the standard UI had been so bad for so long.
    Yeah well, your interface obviously is even worse when it doesn't show if you can interrupt something or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Yeah well, your interface obviously is even worse when it doesn't show if you can interrupt something or not.
    That's not what I actually meant. I meant that it can be difficult to differentiate between what can and SHOULD be interrupted. And like you said, some enemies can be stunned if not interrupted.

Basically the point I was getting at is that the entire dynamic of stopping targets from casting should probably be streamlined.

The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Because the leveling experience doesn't challenge them at all, as such interrupts are basically never required while leveling and thus they never learn to use them.
    Even if it did challenge them to interrupt things... what, specifically, about the game communicates that "you died because of this big spell, this big spell that you had to interrupt, this big spell that you had to use this specific ability to interrupt" instead of them just seemingly dying out of nowhere?

In actuality, all that happens is that a bar appears under the enemy's nameplate. The NPC might be doing some sort of casting animation. Nothing actually communicates in a wordless fashion that "this is a spell you can interrupt using a specific ability lodged somewhere in your spellbook, and will probably do a buttload of damage to you if you don't."

It's obvious if you know about it already, but to a new player... not so much. So to them they think that they're just randomly taking huge spikes of damage out of nowhere.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-04-12 at 02:52 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Even if it did challenge them to interrupt things... what, specifically, about the game communicates that "you died because of this big spell, this big spell that you had to interrupt
    I know just the thing for Blizz to add

My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill yourself -updated 3/7/2020

Even if it did challenge them to interrupt things... what, specifically, about the game communicates that "you died because of this big spell, this big spell that you had to interrupt, this big spell that you had to use this specific ability to interrupt" instead of them just seemingly dying out of nowhere?

In actuality, all that happens is that a bar appears under the enemy's nameplate. The NPC might be doing some sort of casting animation. Nothing actually communicates in a wordless fashion that "this is a spell you can interrupt using a specific ability lodged somewhere in your spellbook, and will probably do a buttload of damage to you if you don't."

It's obvious if you know about it already, but to a new player... not so much. So to them they think that they're just randomly taking huge spikes of damage out of nowhere.
    Ideally when the player gets their interrupt for the first time, they should also be instructed by some kind of tutorial as to how to use it and what purpose it serves... It shouldn't be lodged somwhere in their spellbook, seeing as the game puts new spells on your hotbar automatically when you learn them these days, there's even a mildly flashy animation for it.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Ideally when the player gets their interrupt for the first time, they should also be instructed by some kind of tutorial as to how to use it and what purpose it serves...
    Maybe, but that, itself, isn't really related to making the game more "challenging." That's straight-up pulling the player aside and saying "hey this is what this does and how you use it."

It shouldn't be lodged somwhere in their spellbook, seeing as the game puts new spells on your hotbar automatically when you learn them these days, there's even a mildly flashy animation for it.
    But that doesn't necessarily mean they know what it's for, or what they're even supposed to be looking at. Obviously, if it's an issue that people don't know to interrupt, this process itself isn't enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    I know just the thing for Blizz to add
    I was thinking more along the lines of having an interrupt ability light up when you're targeting an NPC that's using a spell you can interrupt.

Then it becomes a matter of the player seeing and processing the information themself, rather than being told.

"I was fighting this dude, and he struck a pose and started channeling this mean fire looking ability, but then one of my abilities lit up so I pressed it and he stopped doing it! And upon looking at the tooltip of this ability that was crammed on my action bar, it says it can interrupt things! That bar below the NPC's nameplate must indicate that he's channeling some sort of ability, and this ability here interrupts it! "

Boom, one continuous communicative thought.

It'd also help with player's situational awareness in dungeons as well.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-04-12 at 04:41 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Maybe, but that, itself, isn't really related to making the game more "challenging." That's straight-up pulling the player aside and saying "hey this is what this does and how you use it."
    Yes, you show them what is is and how to use it, and then you reinforce that by forcing them to use it regularly throughout the entire leveling process so they know it's important and don't forget.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2020-04-12 at 03:26 PM.