Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I struggle with killing Mattiias Shaw in multi-masks solos.

I have no serious issues with 2, even 3, masking the vision, but Matthias (or for that matter Rexxar) is a major pain in the….I only get him when I throw my free rez, as I get overhwelmed quickly while ignoring the eyes and quickier when trying to position for the eyes.

just always face away from the eyes
    VOTING IS MOB RULE AND MOB RULE IS MEDIA RULE AND
    MEDIA RULE IS CORPORATE RULE

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    I have no serious issues with 2, even 3, masking the vision, but Matthias (or for that matter Rexxar) is a major pain in the….I only get him when I throw my free rez, as I get overhwelmed quickly while ignoring the eyes and quickier when trying to position for the eyes.
    Just always have your back towards eyes. If he uses his stealthattack, just run away from eays and let him come to you, backpaddle a bit and voila, he is in front of you. You get zerooo sanity dmg in this fight except the usual decay.
    For rexxar: boars spawn at health %, just kill the boars.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    Just always have your back towards eyes. If he uses his stealthattack, just run away from eays and let him come to you, backpaddle a bit and voila, he is in front of you. You get zerooo sanity dmg in this fight except the usual decay.
    For rexxar: boars spawn at health %, just kill the boars.
    Scooting backwards works great until you're using Burning Bridge, in which case you have to be very careful or you can end up dumping sanity with that too.

This is generally an effective method for melee though. I have a lot of trouble with him on my mage trying to get positioned where I can hard cast as fire without taking large sanity hits; this still works but you lose a lot of DPS time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post
    Scooting backwards works great until you're using Burning Bridge, in which case you have to be very careful or you can end up dumping sanity with that too.

This is generally an effective method for melee though. I have a lot of trouble with him on my mage trying to get positioned where I can hard cast as fire without taking large sanity hits; this still works but you lose a lot of DPS time.
    Burning Bridge isn't that much of a problem if you just walk back in another angle, though. Idk how it plays as ranged yet, main is a melee, 5 masking it usually. Boomkin/SPriest aren't at the stage where they possibly could do more than a fullclear.

Quote Originally Posted by Axxil View Post
    just always face away from the eyes
    Non trivial for ranged ..

I think Shaw is meant to be hard for ranged, the same way the Mage Tower is meant to be hard for melee.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Burning Bridge isn't that much of a problem if you just walk back in another angle, though. Idk how it plays as ranged yet, main is a melee, 5 masking it usually. Boomkin/SPriest aren't at the stage where they possibly could do more than a fullclear.
    It's not much of a problem for me on my demon hunter but if you're right up inside the hitbox of a mob you'll get errors about facing the wrong direction occasionally and sometimes the eyes position in a way that makes it hard to find an angle to face and cast; it's not so bad on my shadow priest because you can cast DoTs while not facing and start a Mind Flay and rotate while still channeling but my fire mage has a lot of trouble getting good angles to cast at without losing a lot of sanity.

My DH I'm confidently 4 masking every run until I at least hit rank 15 (started late as an alt that is now my main) and at that point I'll probably go for the 5 mask clears when there isn't as much on the line. I'll complete rank 15 next week and the week after catch up on the corruption resistance upgrades so hopefully 3 weeks from now I'll be casually 5 masking the runs as well and see how it feels.

Run away from him to pull him away from the eyes, and then take a couple steps backwards. He should end up in front of you with the eyes behind you (until they jump again). That fight's frustrating to position him anyway, it's just something you have to deal with.

10+ Year Old Account
    The safest method for Rexxar is to actually take it slow. You want to drop his health gradually so you dont get multiboars, and can take out each boar as it becomes active.

As for Shaw, he was designed to mock everyone who rebound their backpedaling key 'cuz real pro's never backpedal cuz there's never ever a reason to unngh nnhhgnng.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

I feel people that are used to tanking have an easy time with shaw, it's the same thing going on mostly, you just scoot a little bit back and sideways and keep attacking, when there is too much goop/eyes at your current location you move a bit to relocate and start the some cycle over again. I kill him very easily with 5 masks on my somewhat modestly geared paladin 455 alt (cloak rank 14)

Easiest way to manage it in my book is just turn away from eyes, let shaw come to you, then back peddle so he's in front of you. When eyes shift, rinse and repeat. I don't find him doing much damage at all tbh and that's without healing food.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't eat his spotty stealth attacks, they crunch your sanity moreso than the eyes I find, but wait him out, drop aoe if you can and as others have said, when he pursues you again, move away and take a turn in either direction doubling back a bit if possible - then while facing towards him and only having him and no eyes in front, go to town and repeat as necessary.
    With all the masks and what have you of madnesses it is a very hectic fight for everyone with so much to look out for. Pull with orb and/or gift proc to gain as much of a headstart as you can to speed up the encounter and increase your chances. He sometimes pops my cheatdeath as is the case for most - it simply doesn't take much to exhaust your bar of sanity on him before you zero out his healthpool.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2020-04-01 at 10:40 AM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Don't eat his spotty stealth attacks, they crunch your sanity moreso than the eyes I find, but wait him out, drop aoe if you can and as others have said, when he pursues you again, move away and take a turn in either direction doubling back a bit if possible - then while facing towards him and only having him and no eyes in front, go to town and repeat as necessary.
    With all the masks and what have you of madnesses it is a very hectic fight for everyone with so much to look out for. Pull with orb and/or gift proc to gain as much of a headstart as you can to speed up the encounter and increase your chances. He sometimes pops my cheatdeath as is the case for most - it simply doesn't take much to exhaust your bar of sanity on him before you zero out his healthpool.
    You actually shouldn't take ANY sanity dmg on him, except the decay. If you get hit by his aoe, you simply don't know the pattern (= straight line)....

open the gates and kite him around the gate, he dosent despawn when you take him out, you could theoretically kite him around the whole zone, dont know if that helps you at all, you dont have to fight him in that tiny area

It's essentially identical. Found Owl rather easy since it brings powerful CDs to burst bosses to pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Non trivial for ranged ..

I think Shaw is meant to be hard for ranged, the same way the Mage Tower is meant to be hard for melee.
    No, it's not. The fight does not change between melee and ranged. At all.

For that matter, Umbric isn't any easier as ranged. You still have to run up to him, and you don't have as many interrupts. Pet classes have an advantage since their pet will kick him out of his storm without having to deal with madnesses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Move far away, he will follow you, then backpaddle a little bit. Voila youre done.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Yeah my alt is a little prot paladin.

Bosses take a while, but you can make up for it by pulling quite a lot of trash at once.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    No, it's not. The fight does not change between melee and ranged. At all.
    It does change for pet classes though. It's a lot more fiddly.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    It does change for pet classes though. It's a lot more fiddly.
    I know for my demo warlock he is hard as hell to re position so a lot of times I wind up just eating some eye zapping because of it. Its like those damn burrowing tentacles. They stay agroed on pet so they are just blipping up and down constantly.

You actually shouldn't take ANY sanity dmg on him, except the decay. If you get hit by his aoe, you simply don't know the pattern (= straight line)....
    Or it spawned on the hill area and is completely invisible even with max graphics settings, but still drains sanity.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.