Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Jesus tap-dancing-christ - how fucking out of touch with reality can you be? Please link any evidence you have of a (D) getting "precincts closed down". We'll wait....

    And your apology for lying misrepresenting the facts can go right here:

    - - - Updated - - -



    He's just completely off his rocker at this point. I can think of no example of (D) voter suppression. I no longer even remotely understand his "game" any more.
    His game? oh thats easy

    “Never believe that anti-Semites republicans are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.”

    ― Jean Paul-Sartre

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Some. Some Democrats don't give a damn. The same way you see someone with a R next to their name get precincts closed down, there's people with Ds next to their name who do it too.

    Practices that keep people from the polls arent excusable just because someone has a particular letter next to their name.
    Democrats are constantly pushing to expand voting access. Knock off these lies please.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

  3. #23
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    20,726
    Damn yall get nasty when I say the Democrats can do better. I've even been accused of being a Republican

    New York is a solid blue state. New York is also one of the worst places to vote in the US. I'll say was because they've gotten better within the last year. It took the 2016 election for the party to actually take voter suppression seriously, party because advocates kept calling them out and partly due to the results of 2016.

    Its troubling that people are quick to jump down someones throat when they say the Dems need to do better than encouraging excellence within the party. The best thing for voter rights in the US in the last 50 years happened in 2016-2018 when the country got a wake up call. Maybe we should actually give a damn obstacles people might face when going to vote.

    I'm just salty though.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Damn yall get nasty when I say the Democrats can do better. I've even been accused of being a Republican

    New York is a solid blue state. New York is also one of the worst places to vote in the US. I'll say was because they've gotten better within the last year. It took the 2016 election for the party to actually take voter suppression seriously, party because advocates kept calling them out and partly due to the results of 2016.

    Its troubling that people are quick to jump down someones throat when they say the Dems need to do better than encouraging excellence within the party. The best thing for voter rights in the US in the last 50 years happened in 2016-2018 when the country got a wake up call. Maybe we should actually give a damn obstacles people might face when going to vote.

    I'm just salty though.
    The Democrats can't really do away with all the shitty things politics-related. If they do, the anti-corporate candidate might actually win an election one day.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Damn yall get nasty when I say the Democrats can do better. I've even been accused of being a Republican

    New York is a solid blue state. New York is also one of the worst places to vote in the US. I'll say was because they've gotten better within the last year. It took the 2016 election for the party to actually take voter suppression seriously, party because advocates kept calling them out and partly due to the results of 2016.

    Its troubling that people are quick to jump down someones throat when they say the Dems need to do better than encouraging excellence within the party. The best thing for voter rights in the US in the last 50 years happened in 2016-2018 when the country got a wake up call. Maybe we should actually give a damn obstacles people might face when going to vote.

    I'm just salty though.
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    People on both sides allow voter suppression when convenient. It's the American way. The US hasn't even had what we call 'free elections' for 50 years.
    Your most recent post would have been a much better one to start with, because it would have actually presented nuance that your first post did not. Which is what people seem to have been responding to.

    Can Democrats do better? Absolutely. And New York is a prime example.

    But this thread is about Republicans relying on active voter suppression. Democrats are rarely engaged in what could be considered active voter suppression (mostly New York type shit where they leave awful voting laws in place forever), whereas it's a constant push for Republicans. Democrats have similarly never even hinted at needing or wanting voter suppression to win, quite the contrary the party line is pretty universally "getting more people voting is good."

    Perfect? Fuck no. But a far sight better than Republicans and not too shabby overall? I'd say so.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Some. Some Democrats don't give a damn. The same way you see someone with a R next to their name get precincts closed down, there's people with Ds next to their name who do it too.

    Practices that keep people from the polls arent excusable just because someone has a particular letter next to their name.
    Fuck this both sides bullshit. Anyone posting this crap needs to be infracted for trolling. It isn't an argument for anything. Both sides DO NOT do this. One side does and you damn well know it.

  7. #27
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    27,382
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Damn yall get nasty when I say the Democrats can do better. I've even been accused of being a Republican

    New York is a solid blue state. New York is also one of the worst places to vote in the US. I'll say was because they've gotten better within the last year. It took the 2016 election for the party to actually take voter suppression seriously, party because advocates kept calling them out and partly due to the results of 2016.

    Its troubling that people are quick to jump down someones throat when they say the Dems need to do better than encouraging excellence within the party. The best thing for voter rights in the US in the last 50 years happened in 2016-2018 when the country got a wake up call. Maybe we should actually give a damn obstacles people might face when going to vote.

    I'm just salty though.
    No...you just apparently can't read. We get nasty when you claim "both sides" in the voter suppression debate. The democrats don't do that. You have been asked several times to back up your lie claim and have yet to produce anything.
    No one is above the law!

  8. #28
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    20,726
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Calling you a liar when you lie, isn't being salty. It's merely pointing out that you were lying.

    *shrug*

    Try not to blow things so out of proportion.
    Where did I lie?

    The majority of the party has ignored voter rights until the last couple of years, even ignoring internal calls to actions.

    I'm going to assume you guys are comfortably sheltered to think the party has been championing voter rights.. Actual advocacy did not start until 2016. Before then the party only gerrymandering when it wasn't in their favor. Purges when they polls werent good. Access to precincts? As long as you're voting for their candidate. Felon voting was "something that will never happen" if they wanted to put it nicely.

    Republicans tell you they don't give a damn. Democrats want you forget yesterday. Making excuses for the party is how you get another GOP.

  9. #29
    Immortal callipygoustp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,262
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Where did I lie?

    The majority of the party has ignored voter rights until the last couple of years, even ignoring internal calls to actions.

    I'm going to assume you guys are comfortably sheltered to think the party has been championing voter rights.. Actual advocacy did not start until 2016. Before then the party only gerrymandering when it wasn't in their favor. Purges when they polls werent good. Access to precincts? As long as you're voting for their candidate. Felon voting was "something that will never happen" if they wanted to put it nicely.

    Republicans tell you they don't give a damn. Democrats want you forget yesterday. Making excuses for the party is how you get another GOP.
    My bad, I posted before checking your history. After checking your history saw what kind of poster you are in general and deleted my comments.

    Carry on with your usual.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    People on both sides allow voter suppression when convenient. It's the American way. The US hasn't even had what we call 'free elections' for 50 years.
    If one side does it at a significantly larger rate, say, 10x as much, drawing a comparison is blatantly misleading and dishonest.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Damn yall get nasty when I say the Democrats can do better. I've even been accused of being a Republican

    New York is a solid blue state. New York is also one of the worst places to vote in the US. I'll say was because they've gotten better within the last year. It took the 2016 election for the party to actually take voter suppression seriously, party because advocates kept calling them out and partly due to the results of 2016.

    Its troubling that people are quick to jump down someones throat when they say the Dems need to do better than encouraging excellence within the party. The best thing for voter rights in the US in the last 50 years happened in 2016-2018 when the country got a wake up call. Maybe we should actually give a damn obstacles people might face when going to vote.

    I'm just salty though.
    Its a wonder why you're called a republican with your MAGA sig and your tendency to only swing left, dishonestly.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

  11. #31
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    20,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Its a wonder why you're called a republican with your MAGA sig and your tendency to only swing left, dishonestly.
    You know what? I'll let you maintain that thought. Good that you came to that conclusion. I'm proud of you, buddy!

  12. #32
    You guys are just not aware of the Heritage Foundation efforts which started with clown like Palin. That was an test run to see how much stupidity would they voter take before turning it to 11. And with de Nile firing after trump got the republican nomination, it is pretty much telling you that their plan was to put in place another figure head (which we have to figure out yet since they plugged that leak).

    PS: If you don't know the whole concept of the Heritage Foundation is since rich people are obviously more successful, they are better suited to take the right decision for the country. For that they have to shift the electoral power away from the poor. Which include a few more things like making sure that non-rich have lesser lifespan (around 50y so they do not pose a burden to the health care system) and that their economic power be exploited to the maximum to require the need of the rich class for jobs, etc.

    Enjoy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I don't think so, they're using the same game plan that's been sorta working for them for decades now.

    I think it's a few things that are contributing to them simply not being concerned about appearances anymore.

    1. The release of their "playbook" by the daughter of one of the chief architects of their voter suppression efforts. That was big news for a hot second, and was pretty much incontrovertible proof that there was a determined effort on the part of the Republican party to suppress low income and minority voters more likely to vote for Democrats across the nation.

    2. The past 4 or so years of nothing mattering for the Republican Party/Trump. I think they were worried their base may revolt if this got out earlier, but now they're feeling much safer and believe their base will back them regardless. This has been boosted in a big way by Trump getting away with shit left and right and his approval amongst Republicans remaining very high.

    They know their base wants the same power that the elected officials do. They know their base will go, "Voter suppression helps US? What the hell WE LOVE VOTER SUPPRESSION NOW!" so there's just no fear of political repercussions.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    People are blowing this off as "of course they've always done this" but these recent admissions are significant.

    The GOP has always assaulted the voting process, because they don't benefit from voter turnout. The work in North Carolina where the GOP essentially redrew the district map to enhance voter suppression is just one example of their assault on democracy. Trump and the GOP tried to find voter fraud with their commission, and even with an all-partisan-hands on deck, the commission fell apart because nothing could be found.
    No, it hasn't, unless you mean the old style suppression campaigns (of intimidation) both parties engaged in. This is a "in living memory" change. It was, for a long time, southern democrats who engaged in racially motivated suppression, for the same reason the GOP is doing it now.

    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I don't recall the final outcome of the commission, aside from the fact that it was dissolved. The last real effort put into it by the GOP was a commission Bush2 put together. It found no significant voter fraud.
    They disbanded it after one of the democratic members of the commission sued the GOP members for access to all communications related to the commission.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Where did I lie?

    The majority of the party has ignored voter rights until the last couple of years, even ignoring internal calls to actions.

    I'm going to assume you guys are comfortably sheltered to think the party has been championing voter rights.. Actual advocacy did not start until 2016. Before then the party only gerrymandering when it wasn't in their favor. Purges when they polls werent good. Access to precincts? As long as you're voting for their candidate. Felon voting was "something that will never happen" if they wanted to put it nicely.

    Republicans tell you they don't give a damn. Democrats want you forget yesterday. Making excuses for the party is how you get another GOP.
    You are moving the goalposts from your original quote of, "People on both sides allow voter suppression when convenient."

    I'm sure you are well aware of the Civil Rights Act of 1965. The Democratic party has been fighting for voting rights and against suppression since then. It's a lot more than the last couple of years. It's been happening for 55 years. Yes, not all of the Democratic party members shared the same opinions about it and some may not have been on board throughout the years, but it is disingenuous to clam both sides on this argument.

    Still waiting on any evidence of modern(1965-present) Democratic platform/legislation/EO/ public comment supporting suppression to support your initial claim.

  15. #35
    Should the vote be repressed is a far more interesting question in my mind.

    Should people who have no concept of what is happening or what their chosen party does or supports have a say in the election.

    Now I am not going to assign a particular blame here but what if for a vote to even be counted a voter needed to correctly identify 10 points of the platform their candidate ran on?

    A democratic system only serves a informed and well educated public well. Without it all it becomes is a series of every increasing bribes of well fare for more votes.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    Should the vote be repressed is a far more interesting question in my mind.

    Should people who have no concept of what is happening or what their chosen party does or supports have a say in the election.

    Now I am not going to assign a particular blame here but what if for a vote to even be counted a voter needed to correctly identify 10 points of the platform their candidate ran on?

    A democratic system only serves a informed and well educated public well. Without it all it becomes is a series of every increasing bribes of well fare for more votes.
    No.

    No.

    No.

    We tried that, it was terrible. It is inherently undemocratic, you are the one opposing democracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    No.

    No.

    No.

    We tried that, it was terrible. It is inherently undemocratic, you are the one opposing democracy.
    I am opposing unfrettered democracy. I believe that counting the votes of the ignorant is destructive. You turn policy into a mixture of how much you bribe someone and how much you can scare them.

    I would much rather a competent voting population.

  18. #38
    I am Murloc! unfilteredJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seagrove Beach, FL
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    I am opposing unfrettered democracy. I believe that counting the votes of the ignorant is destructive. You turn policy into a mixture of how much you bribe someone and how much you can scare them.

    I would much rather a competent voting population.
    Thinking you'd be allowed to vote under these conditions is adorable.
    Wall of LOLs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Yeah I know. It'll take another 2 years + to knock Rozz and Flarelane down to size as Endus eventually was. Not worth the effort. My lack of posting here recently has been sort of 2-fold. One is because it's extremely boring watching the crazies come to the inevitable conclusion that they've failed. TDS seems to be an awfully persistent disease. Two is because I'm saving my infraction points to unleash unholy Hell when Trump wins re-election.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Thinking you'd be allowed to vote under these conditions is adorable.
    Would that rebuke my idea? If I am deluded how would removing me inflict harm?

  20. #40
    Titan Lenonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    13,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    I believe that counting the votes of the ignorant is destructive.
    And yet it's still their constitutional right and efforts to suppress is are unconstitutional.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •