Page 1 of 8
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Republicans keep admitting their party relies on voter suppression

    So we all saw the story where Trump admitted that if voting was easier, "...you'd never have a Republican elected in this country again."

    That was a few days ago, but in light of the coronavirus there are still a lot of discussions going on about delaying elections, expanding absentee ballots etc. Georgia is having one of those discussions right now, and Democrats are pushing for absentee ballots for all as an option.

    Well, Georgia state Speaker of the House David Ralston was interviewed about this recently - https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...mpression=true

    This will be extremely devastating to Republicans and conservatives in Georgia,” Ralston, a Republican from Blue Ridge, said during an interview with FetchYourNews, a North Georgia news site. “Every registered voter is going to get one of these. … This will certainly drive up turnout.”
    Why is it that Republicans seem to no longer be concerned about discussing the fact that their party doesn't just benefit from, but relies on voter suppression in order to maintain power? This used to be the quiet part that was never said out loud, but more and more often we're seeing Republicans openly admit this.

  2. #2
    I mean, this really isn't news at this point, just more confirmation of the facts at hand. Republicans are terrified of the idea of brown people voting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.

  3. #3
    One would think that the response to this would be less "We need to suppress more voters" and more "What can we do to increase the appeal of our party?"

    But, y'know...Republicans...

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    One would think that the response to this would be less "We need to suppress more voters" and more "What can we do to increase the appeal of our party?"

    But, y'know...Republicans...
    They tried insulting things like screaming "democrat plantation" and astroturf campaigns like #walkaway
    So they are trying.

  5. #5
    The only people it seems to surprise is Republicans minions that are trying to deny it. At least from my experience. Then when you get them behind closed doors and a few strong drinks in them even they admit it eventually.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So we all saw the story where Trump admitted that if voting was easier, "...you'd never have a Republican elected in this country again."

    That was a few days ago, but in light of the coronavirus there are still a lot of discussions going on about delaying elections, expanding absentee ballots etc. Georgia is having one of those discussions right now, and Democrats are pushing for absentee ballots for all as an option.

    Well, Georgia state Speaker of the House David Ralston was interviewed about this recently - https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...mpression=true



    Why is it that Republicans seem to no longer be concerned about discussing the fact that their party doesn't just benefit from, but relies on voter suppression in order to maintain power? This used to be the quiet part that was never said out loud, but more and more often we're seeing Republicans openly admit this.
    It makes me really concerned that if they are admitting this stuff finally that they may have a new game plan. Given the increasingly authoritarian nature the United States is heading to I think we are in for some really bad times.

  7. #7
    Immortal Stormspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    7,558
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    It makes me really concerned that if they are admitting this stuff finally that they may have a new game plan. Given the increasingly authoritarian nature the United States is heading to I think we are in for some really bad times.
    Yeah...ultimately it doesn't matter what they say these days because they will just decide to remain in power no matter what happens and noone will do anything about it. Enjoy the dictatorship.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    It makes me really concerned that if they are admitting this stuff finally that they may have a new game plan. Given the increasingly authoritarian nature the United States is heading to I think we are in for some really bad times.
    I don't think so, they're using the same game plan that's been sorta working for them for decades now.

    I think it's a few things that are contributing to them simply not being concerned about appearances anymore.

    1. The release of their "playbook" by the daughter of one of the chief architects of their voter suppression efforts. That was big news for a hot second, and was pretty much incontrovertible proof that there was a determined effort on the part of the Republican party to suppress low income and minority voters more likely to vote for Democrats across the nation.

    2. The past 4 or so years of nothing mattering for the Republican Party/Trump. I think they were worried their base may revolt if this got out earlier, but now they're feeling much safer and believe their base will back them regardless. This has been boosted in a big way by Trump getting away with shit left and right and his approval amongst Republicans remaining very high.

    They know their base wants the same power that the elected officials do. They know their base will go, "Voter suppression helps US? What the hell WE LOVE VOTER SUPPRESSION NOW!" so there's just no fear of political repercussions.

  9. #9
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    27,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So we all saw the story where Trump admitted that if voting was easier, "...you'd never have a Republican elected in this country again."

    That was a few days ago, but in light of the coronavirus there are still a lot of discussions going on about delaying elections, expanding absentee ballots etc. Georgia is having one of those discussions right now, and Democrats are pushing for absentee ballots for all as an option.

    Well, Georgia state Speaker of the House David Ralston was interviewed about this recently - https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...mpression=true
    “This will be extremely devastating to Republicans and conservatives in Georgia,” Ralston, a Republican from Blue Ridge, said during an interview with FetchYourNews, a North Georgia news site. “Every registered voter is going to get one of these. … This will certainly drive up turnout.”
    Why is it that Republicans seem to no longer be concerned about discussing the fact that their party doesn't just benefit from, but relies on voter suppression in order to maintain power? This used to be the quiet part that was never said out loud, but more and more often we're seeing Republicans openly admit this.
    People are blowing this off as "of course they've always done this" but these recent admissions are significant.

    The GOP has always assaulted the voting process, because they don't benefit from voter turnout. The work in North Carolina where the GOP essentially redrew the district map to enhance voter suppression is just one example of their assault on democracy. Trump and the GOP tried to find voter fraud with their commission, and even with an all-partisan-hands on deck, the commission fell apart because nothing could be found.

    So seeing the GOP now, right now, come out so blatantly in favor of suppressing voter turn out is a change in message on their part. And there is no spin on this so far - they are just admitting they hate it when more people can vote.

    We should not let this just get blown over as "well, we all knew it" - because it's a first.
    No one is above the law!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Trump and the GOP tried to find voter fraud with their commission, and even with an all-partisan-hands on deck, the commission fell apart because nothing could be found.
    Wasn't the results from that commission destroyed? They might have found nothing, or they may have found something that they didn't want to become known.

  11. #11
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    27,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Meldetia View Post
    Wasn't the results from that commission destroyed? They might have found nothing, or they may have found something that they didn't want to become known.
    I don't recall the final outcome of the commission, aside from the fact that it was dissolved. The last real effort put into it by the GOP was a commission Bush2 put together. It found no significant voter fraud.
    No one is above the law!

  12. #12

  13. #13
    The Lightbringer Zaydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    3,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    It's always amusing to me that threads like this almost never get a single conservative posting. Even they know some things are indefensible.
    Those are the same people who go 'lol how is voter ID voter suppression' no matter how many times it gets explained to them why voter ID bills are unnecessary and ineffective at fighting actual fraud.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers


  14. #14
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    20,725
    People on both sides allow voter suppression when convenient. It's the American way. The US hasn't even had what we call 'free elections' for 50 years.

  15. #15
    Amazing how they say the damning truth.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

    -Isaac Asimov

  16. #16
    The Lightbringer Zaydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    3,429
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    People on both sides allow voter suppression when convenient. It's the American way. The US hasn't even had what we call 'free elections' for 50 years.
    Last I checked, it's Democrats fighting to make it easier for eligible voters to vote while the GOP is fighting to make it as difficult to vote as possible. Stop the 'both-siderism'.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers


  17. #17
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    20,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Last I checked, it's Democrats fighting to make it easier for eligible voters to vote while the GOP was fighting to make it as difficult to vote as possible. Stop the 'bothsiderism'.
    Some. Some Democrats don't give a damn. The same way you see someone with a R next to their name get precincts closed down, there's people with Ds next to their name who do it too.

    Practices that keep people from the polls arent excusable just because someone has a particular letter next to their name.

  18. #18
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    27,381
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Some. Some Democrats don't give a damn. The same way you see someone with a R next to their name get precincts closed down, there's people with Ds next to their name who do it too.

    Practices that keep people from the polls arent excusable just because someone has a particular letter next to their name.
    Jesus tap-dancing-christ - how fucking out of touch with reality can you be? Please link any evidence you have of a (D) getting "precincts closed down". We'll wait....

    And your apology for lying misrepresenting the facts can go right here:

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Last I checked, it's Democrats fighting to make it easier for eligible voters to vote while the GOP is fighting to make it as difficult to vote as possible. Stop the 'both-siderism'.
    He's just completely off his rocker at this point. I can think of no example of (D) voter suppression. I no longer even remotely understand his "game" any more.
    No one is above the law!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Meldetia View Post
    Wasn't the results from that commission destroyed? They might have found nothing, or they may have found something that they didn't want to become known.
    Well, they definitely didn't find the voter fraud they claimed was happening (those claims were made without evidence).
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.

  20. #20
    I am Murloc! Milchshake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Publicly Shaming a Fascist
    Posts
    5,788
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Jesus tap-dancing-christ - how fucking out of touch with reality can you be? Please link any evidence you have of a (D) getting "precincts closed down". We'll wait....

    And your apology for lying misrepresenting the facts can go right here:

    - - - Updated - - -



    He's just completely off his rocker at this point. I can think of no example of (D) voter suppression. I no longer even remotely understand his "game" any more.
    The game is easy. It's just an online aesthetic centered around their personal grievances. A grade of middle class narcissism. They're salty for not having the upper class narcissism of their favorite youtube hosts. If only those Dem, SJWs, Feminists, Vegan, and girl game critics hadnt messed things up for them.

    Speaking of Facts an Voting Rights!
    BREAKING:
    The DNC Wisconsin Dems win Fed case.
    • Extends deadlines for for absentee ballot receipt to 4/13 and for AB requests to 4/3.
    • Blocks witness requirement for AB voters who can't safely obtain a witness certification despite reasonable efforts.


    Contrast with GOPers doing everything the opposite.
    Welcome to GEN-OT, have a seat, we'll introduce you to the 23-year-old who will lecture you about how Democrats didn't try hard enough to improve the ACA, and once that's all set up you'll be assigned a socialist who supported Ron Paul up to 2015 to harass you forever.
    "Once bigotry or self-loathing permeate a given community, it is only a matter of time before deep metaphysical significance is assigned to the shape of human skulls."
    -Lady Foppington

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •