Building from scratch, need advice.

Hey everyone, so my current PC is 6 years old, it was nothing special when I got it and now it's really starting to show its age. I updated my GPU to an RX 580 after my last one died but I recently picked up Borderlands 3 and it struggles to run it on any higher than low settings and the load times are ridiculous.

My components are so old that I need a completely new build for anything to be relevant. I've looked around and put together a build that I think will handle most modern games quite well.

Here's the build:

CPU: i5 9400F 2.9GHz 4.1GHz OR i5 9600kf 3.7GHz

MoBo: MSI Z390-A PRO

RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666MHz

SSD: WD Green 3D NAND 240gb M.2 OR HP S700 500GB

Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 550W 80+

Case: Gigabyte C200 RGB Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Case

GPU is my current Radeon RX 580 8GB, would look to upgrade possibly once 1080's come down in price or during sales.

My questions are; Is there anything glaringly wrong with any of these parts? It's the first build I'm doing myself so I want to be sure there's no compatibility issues and that the PC will last another 5-7 years of relevance. How worth it would it be to spend an extra $100 on a 9600 over a 9400? I don't know anything about AMD processors so I just stuck with Intel, are AMDs worth looking at instead?

Any help/advice is appreciated very much!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes Amd 3000 series are worth buying and the Thermaltake TR2 series PSUs are notoriously bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    AMD is absolutely worth it over Intel until you get to the 9700k/9900k and even then, those are only worth it if you *NEED* every fps available in the games where those CPUs actually win (It's still most of them though)

I can't find anything on the PSU, but I also don't feel like digging super card.. Stick to Corsair CX series or anything Seasonic-made and you'll be fine.

Your storage solutions look a bit anaemic.. 240 or 500gb? You'll run out of space pretty quickly

A 3600 with a b450 Tomahawk MAX and 3200mhz RAM should be fine and outperform what you have picked for cheaper or the same price

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't like any part of your build. 9400F is outclassed by a Ryzen 3600, and the 9600K isn't much better. If you're looking for longevity for several years a Ryzen or Core i9 is a must, stay away from current i5's.
    Further on the RAM is slow, the SSD is too small and not great overall, the PSU is garbage and Gigabyte hasn't managed to make an actually decent case yet afaik.

What kind of budget do you have in mind for the system?