Thread: Runeforging

Runeforging

Should players be able to adjust it anywhere like any enchant?
    Or should they still need a forge?

Would Runeforger make for a good potential fourth spec, juggling all the various rune types?
    Or is the Rune niche too closely tied to Frost at this point? Should it be a Frost spec skin?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    After recently leveling 3 death knights (one of each spec) to 120 in BfA, it became very clear that Runeforging needs an overhaul of some sort. I'm not saying we should go back to what it was like in Wotlk where there were a lot of runes to use and most of them were useless or silly, but come on... 3 different runes? B-o-r-i-n-g!

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I dont play my DK he is like my 3rd 4th alt,but i understand what you say maybe blizz could add (hear me out on this one) a toy at the DK starting area that makes a small portable runeforge im not even kidding

I wouldn't take away runeforging or the use of the runeforge, it just gives that little bit extra to have to visit the old place again and use it, and with the Ebon hold portal spell it's easy enough to go, and using the spell again within the area ports you back.
    I've to admit, it's a bit annoying while raiding when a new weapon drops.
    Like Zigrifid said, maybe a toy or extra spell could be useful, to summon a portable runeforge.
    Runeforging itself needs some love and refreshing, it got 3 spells, and the same 2 always get used, so i would say remove it or expand the system, but a dk without a rune(weapon) is just strange tbh, it's the whole theme of the DK.
    Runeforging as a 4th spec is a no for me, having frost changed and expand with rune themed spells? yes please.
    Blood got this vampire theme, Unholy this dead/necro theme, but frost really lacks something exciting.

Na runeforging is kinda cool, its an extra perk of the class. I also don't mind having to use a death gate to apply it. With an enchant i would probably spend longer going to the AH. The death gate takes you back to last location if you use it a second time

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Wattmate View Post
    Na runeforging is kinda cool, its an extra perk of the class. I also don't mind having to use a death gate to apply it. With an enchant i would probably spend longer going to the AH. The death gate takes you back to last location if you use it a second time
    But if you pre-bought your enchants, you can just hold them with you and use wherever. It strikes me as a little silly that a class with specific functionality to enchant their own gear has to spend a lot longer doing it than you may have to if you were an enchanter. Professions can change, but classes can't. Is it really okay for Enchanting to be more flexible and convenient than the class?

I do agree with others though that a toy that drops a Runeforge would be kinda nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like 20 seconds extra to summon the portal and go apply the runeforge, and it's free as well

Such a non issue
    im cool pls respodn

Quote Originally Posted by Krekal View Post
    It's like 20 seconds extra to summon the portal and go apply the runeforge, and it's free as well

Such a non issue
    pretty much this.

on the other hand, would be fun with a questchain with some dk lore ending up with a pet that acts like a runeforge thingy for 2min.

Runes like they were in Wrath is certainly an improvement over now. More options is never a bad thing.

On OP's topic, though; yes, you should be expected to use your 1 minute CD to Deaths Gate and back to precisely where you were to get a free best in slot enchant. I can't believe that's even a serious question.

Using the forge is a nice bit of RPG added to the class. I like it.

Runeforging really needs to be expanded. It really needs more than three options. They can be niche or just fun enchants. They don't have to be BiS, just let me have some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Runes like they were in Wrath is certainly an improvement over now. More options is never a bad thing.
    Nah, I'd have to hard disagree, the more options you make available(especially in such a niche system like runeforging), the more chance for bugs, weird combos that throw balance out of whack etc. We've got a nice couple of options at the moment, theoretically we could have one or two more, but it doesn't really matter.

OT:
    I love the thematics of runeforging, and could definitely see the appeal of a spec based around imprinting weapons with different runes for different effects, but both Unholy and Frost have a special place at the moment, and I'd hate to lose either of them(They're not going to add more specs I don't think)
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

This is my opinion, but Runeforging needs a serious overhaul. Instead of being knockoff enchants I'd love for them to actually interact with the class and it's abilities. Give DKs three rune slots and each of the slots can be filled with one rune.

Examples of runes that could be in those slots:

Blood Drinker Rune; every time you heal yourself through Death Strike or Heart Strike, you begin to fill the rune. Once the rune is filled, you can choose to activate the rune and heal yourself for 15% of all damage dealt by weapon-based attacks.

Shattering Strikes Rune; Auto attacks against a target afflicted with Frost Fever have a chance to encase the target in ice and cause them to take increased damage from your weapon based attacks for the duration of Frost Fever.

Unholy Wounds Rune; When this rune is activated, your next Death Coil against a target suffering from Festering Wound will cause three blood worms per stack of Festering Wound consumed.

Rune of the Steed; Your Death Knight specific mounts are now instant cast once out of combat.

Things like that I think would add greatly to the class fantasy seeing as runes are one of the most often ignored aspects of being a DK.

Runeforging is highly underused as a class feature. First of all I think it shouldn't exclude weapon enchants and just having the choice between 3 is kinda trash. Imho there should be more and you should be able to combine them to gain some neat effects. The runes should be visibly floating atop our weapons, you know like actually engraved runes (changing textures is too hard to WoW's engine). In a better world I could imagine each inscribed rune representing a special effect tied to our rune resource in some way *(probably too deep for a game like WoW). That is what I would label as runeforging. Currently it's discount enchanting.

*: Think something like: Since runes are used from left to right and the ones on the right recharge slowest I would bind effects to using them, like "spend rune no. y gain effect x (with probability z)". The runes on the right would obviously be more limited in choice and all that. There is plenty you can do with this system if you actually wanted to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    I dont play my DK he is like my 3rd 4th alt,but i understand what you say maybe blizz could add (hear me out on this one) a toy at the DK starting area that makes a small portable runeforge im not even kidding
    Could also be nice little class quest to "tame" a skeletal smith and a frost wyrm which together make a makeshift runeforge on a long cooldown.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-04-05 at 12:44 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

We would need a mechanic that would turn off queue buttons from dk's that don't use runes on their weap... You don't know how many DK I see that don't use these - or the wrong ones.

OT: A portable 'forge would be good - even tho the portal is working just fine.
    - or make runeforging a passive (Blood gains Gargoyle, Unholy Crusader, Frost Razorice or maybe a toggle? - i.e. Blood can toggle either Crusader or Gargoyle) which enables usual weapon enchants in addition to our class based "enchant".
    Last edited by Bloodyleech; 2020-04-05 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    This is my opinion, but Runeforging needs a serious overhaul. Instead of being knockoff enchants I'd love for them to actually interact with the class and it's abilities. Give DKs three rune slots and each of the slots can be filled with one rune.

Examples of runes that could be in those slots:

Blood Drinker Rune; every time you heal yourself through Death Strike or Heart Strike, you begin to fill the rune. Once the rune is filled, you can choose to activate the rune and heal yourself for 15% of all damage dealt by weapon-based attacks.

Shattering Strikes Rune; Auto attacks against a target afflicted with Frost Fever have a chance to encase the target in ice and cause them to take increased damage from your weapon based attacks for the duration of Frost Fever.

Unholy Wounds Rune; When this rune is activated, your next Death Coil against a target suffering from Festering Wound will cause three blood worms per stack of Festering Wound consumed.

Rune of the Steed; Your Death Knight specific mounts are now instant cast once out of combat.

Things like that I think would add greatly to the class fantasy seeing as runes are one of the most often ignored aspects of being a DK.
    I like this concept a lot, especially the having to fill the rune through abilities on your blood idea, but maybe not so much the specific abilities. I think something new from the runes would be more fun\better\flavourful, like a new fun proc of some kind.

Blood - Activate a blood mirror, with 100% of damage done is copied to the target for x seconds.
    Frost - Upon death have the option to resurrect as a lich, with lich abilities, until killed again. Can not occur more than once every 10 mins?
    Unholy - Shadow of Death: Apply a shadow construct to an enemy with (% of health or for x time?) mimicking there actions against them

I suppose other than becoming a lich, those arent really new.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    We would need a mechanic that would turn off queue buttons from dk's that don't use runes on their weap... You don't know how many DK I see that don't use these - or the wrong ones.

OT: A portable 'forge would be good - even tho the portal is working just fine.
    - or make runeforging a passive (Blood gains Gargoyle, Unholy Crusader, Frost Razorice or maybe a toggle? - i.e. Blood can toggle either Crusader or Gargoyle) which enables usual weapon enchants in addition to our class based "enchant".
    We used to have a toggle, in the form of our auras. Bringing those back would be pretty good, but OT from runeforging.
    Last edited by thrillhoose; 2020-04-07 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thrillhoose View Post
    I like this concept a lot, especially the having to fill the rune through abilities on your blood idea, but maybe not so much the specific abilities. I think something new from the runes would be more fun\better\flavourful, like a new fun proc of some kind.

Blood - Activate a blood mirror, with 100% of damage done is copied to the target for x seconds.
    Frost - Upon death have the option to resurrect as a lich, with lich abilities, until killed again. Can not occur more than once every 10 mins?
    Unholy - Shadow of Death: Apply a shadow construct to an enemy with (% of health or for x time?) mimicking there actions against them

I suppose other than becoming a lich, those arent really new.

We used to have a toggle, in the form of our auras. Bringing those back would be pretty good, but OT from runeforging.
    Yeah, I want my presences back, too. I liked the fact that I >could< go ham as blood without taking threat, because I took another presence.