Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Like something, that is claimed to be random, but it happens just several times after weekly reset and then never happens till next one?

    Do you think, that such hidden CDs are extremely dirty move, cuz drops become time-gated instead of RNG-gated, i.e. such drops can't be obtained via making more tries, that can be more fair for casual players, but players, who are unaware of them, can continue to make 10s, 100s and 1000s of tries in order to get something, that they can't actually get, and this is certainly isn't fair for them?

    Shouldn't Blizzard clearly admit, that some drops aren't actually just random - they're on hidden CDs, so players won't just waste their time and efforts?
    Or you could... y'know... just have bad luck?

    Also, some examples of these "hidden CDs" instead of just vague statements of what they could be would be nice.
    I did a Necromancer thing. Check it out! All feedback welcome!
    Update 08/17: I changed how the Bone spec's golem mechanic works, as well as some other minor changes.
    I also did a Bard thing! Questions, comments and ideas, all welcome!
    Update 09/02: Apparently the mods decided to merge my class concept thread with an existing one.

  2. #42
    As far as I know, hidden CDs are only present in things that aren't really rare, but rather are farmable, just to prevent them from being too quickly farmable. (So not mounts, pets, toys, mogs - the rare ones already have decentyl low drop rates without additional tricks)

    Can't remember what it was, but there were items dropping from Argus mobs for some achievement or whatever. They had a set drop rate, which made sense, but only as long as you were doing it solo. People were grouping up to farm them, and killing mobs in the area multiple times faster than one person would. Despite that, the drop count (per time spent, not per kills) remained pretty much the same. I think that was one of the more vivid cases of what the OP is describing here.

    No. I do not believe hidden cds apply to any mounts, and for sure not to the IE expeditions mounts, the drop rate of which has been nerfed to the ground. They are literally no challenge at all to a seasoned farmer at the moment. Just keep grinding mythic islands and you can expect about 1 mount per 20 islands on average (not counting boxes).

    PS. Haven't really tested this myself nor looked into it too much, but the echoes for SL pre-order quest seem to be another example of that. Even if you make a full party and massacre 100 mobs per minute, you still won't get all of them too fast.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Also some guys always forget about entropy. Yeah, some rare events, like random assembly of dinosaur from molecules, is possible, but actually never happens.
    Oh my god, this is total cringe. Does this have ANYTHING to do with your original claim about "hidden cooldowns" for drops/events?
    I did a Necromancer thing. Check it out! All feedback welcome!
    Update 08/17: I changed how the Bone spec's golem mechanic works, as well as some other minor changes.
    I also did a Bard thing! Questions, comments and ideas, all welcome!
    Update 09/02: Apparently the mods decided to merge my class concept thread with an existing one.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    No. I do not believe hidden cds apply to any mounts, and for sure not to the IE expeditions mounts, the drop rate of which has been nerfed to the ground. They are literally no challenge at all to a seasoned farmer at the moment. Just keep grinding mythic islands and you can expect about 1 mount per 20 islands on average (not counting boxes).
    Nerfed to the ground? I play on 2 computers, so rarity info can't be 100 accurate, as I don't use cloud to save addon setting and Blizzard don't provide one, like Steam does. And my current counter on home computer closes to 400. That means overall expedition count closes to 500 or may be 600, because during Christmas/New Year holidays I was actively doing them on another computer. So droprate is already closing to 0.2%. Haven't I earned my mount yet? How much another pointless grind I should do to "earn" it? And expeditions aren't that easy, as one-shotting all mobs till 2nd boss, that takes just 2 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Oh my god, this is total cringe. Does this have ANYTHING to do with your original claim about "hidden cooldowns" for drops/events?
    This is about very popular argument, that even 0.00000000000000........001% still isn't 0%, so it still can happen with you.

  5. #45
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Lookout
    Posts
    20,065
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Like something, that is claimed to be random, but it happens just several times after weekly reset and then never happens till next one?

    Do you think, that such hidden CDs are extremely dirty move, cuz drops become time-gated instead of RNG-gated, i.e. such drops can't be obtained via making more tries, that can be more fair for casual players, but players, who are unaware of them, can continue to make 10s, 100s and 1000s of tries in order to get something, that they can't actually get, and this is certainly isn't fair for them?

    Shouldn't Blizzard clearly admit, that some drops aren't actually just random - they're on hidden CDs, so players won't just waste their time and efforts?
    Breaking news: Man in thread discovers what RNG is without thinking it is RNG.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Breaking news: Man in thread discovers what RNG is without thinking it is RNG.
    Yeah, when only 2-3 first rares of the week were dropping something in Tanaan, it was so fair RNG. Yeah, I believe it. I was just soooooooooooo unlucky. And when all possible invasions happen just fine, but one specific invasion refuses to spawn for 2 days, yeah, it's also fair RNG. I get enough coins to buy 1.5 chests a day. Every chest costs 175 coins. Every invasion usually drops between 4 and 12 coins, i.e. let's say average is 8. So, each chest requires around 22 expeditions. Isn't it enough to say, that some specific invasion happens or not?

  7. #47
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Lookout
    Posts
    20,065
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    fair RNG.
    Fair randomness. Nice work bro. You've figured it out.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Fair randomness. Nice work bro. You've figured it out.
    Fair RNG - is when only God knows, when item will drop for me. When devs put their hand on it in order to control it - it's no longer fair. Dunno, how to explain it better. It's just a tool in their hands to control played time. Do you understand, that all that grind is pointless, if it's devs, who decide, when to give you your reward? It's same grind of 100500 mobs, may be even more than average, i.e. more, than you would need to kill, if this amount would be just set to specific value, but you just don't know, how many, so you have an illusion, that item can drop at any moment. This is just psychological trick, devs use to trigger skinner box effect, but at the end it's them, who control, when food will be given to us.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Nerfed to the ground? I play on 2 computers, so rarity info can't be 100 accurate, as I don't use cloud to save addon setting and Blizzard don't provide one, like Steam does. And my current counter on home computer closes to 400. That means overall expedition count closes to 500 or may be 600, because during Christmas/New Year holidays I was actively doing them on another computer. So droprate is already closing to 0.2%. Haven't I earned my mount yet? How much another pointless grind I should do to "earn" it? And expeditions aren't that easy, as one-shotting all mobs till 2nd boss, that takes just 2 minutes.
    The nerf to drop rates happened with the release of 8.3, so the amount of attempts you did over the Christmas break is irrelevant.

    In general it's no secret that Island Expeditions have been horrendously botched on many many levels throughout BfA, and they only made them be somewhat fun and work properly in 8.3, so I kind of don't blame you for being annoyed and coming up with those weird theories.

    Now you have two choices: be salty that Blizz incentivized you to grind 0,01% content for mounts from 8.0 to 8.3 and never go on another IE again, or forget about it, and start grinding mythics now because the mounts are dropping left and right, and even if you are unlucky, you can still get them from the boxes at a pretty high rate.

    This is also historically a first case of nerfing drop rates of mounts so much in a piece of content, but in the case of islands I think it's justifiable. One of the well known multiboxing collectible farmers actually farmed the mounts from IEs I think in 8.1, and it took the person about 8000 island expeditions to get all the mounts. I'm usually all for keeping the drop rates intact, but this kind of BS had to be fixed.

    Tldr: since 8.3 it's easy to get IE mounts, get them now, or don't, as long as you're happy.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    This is about very popular argument, that even 0.00000000000000........001% still isn't 0%, so it still can happen with you.
    So you go for total cringe that really hurt, if not outright completely invalidate your argument, instead of posting actual examples?
    I did a Necromancer thing. Check it out! All feedback welcome!
    Update 08/17: I changed how the Bone spec's golem mechanic works, as well as some other minor changes.
    I also did a Bard thing! Questions, comments and ideas, all welcome!
    Update 09/02: Apparently the mods decided to merge my class concept thread with an existing one.

  11. #51
    like that mechagon present in the first chest of the week?

  12. #52
    I'm in shit due to this stupid RNG. I resubbed just to grab this mount. I waited for 2 weeks for right chests to appear. I had some coins. I wasted them. Then I was grinding 1.5-2 chests a day. Tomorrow is last day. I've already done 2 chests today. Still no mount. Grinding 3rd one. Blizzard really want me to die due to fatigue. I stopped doing visions due to this crappy isle grind. But I still was doing dailies. I have 50k of that crap, needed for visions. Now I've stopped to do dailies too.

    P.S. That's, what I call grind. I don't need this stupid expeditions. It's stupid boring pseudo-PVP content, I don't like at all. But I have to do hundreds of that isles in order to grab mount, that isn't even worth it.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    I'm in shit due to this stupid RNG. I resubbed just to grab this mount. I waited for 2 weeks for right chests to appear. I had some coins. I wasted them. Then I was grinding 1.5-2 chests a day. Tomorrow is last day. I've already done 2 chests today. Still no mount. Grinding 3rd one. Blizzard really want me to die due to fatigue. I stopped doing visions due to this crappy isle grind. But I still was doing dailies. I have 50k of that crap, needed for visions. Now I've stopped to do dailies too.

    P.S. That's, what I call grind. I don't need this stupid expeditions. It's stupid boring pseudo-PVP content, I don't like at all. But I have to do hundreds of that isles in order to grab mount, that isn't even worth it.
    You willfully subscribed to the game to obtain a completely non-deterministic reward and now you're complaining that it's not deterministic??? Hello? How is any of that Blizzard's fault?

  14. #54
    Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    2,676
    I think it adds to the mystery of how to obtain the item.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    I found some hidden CD's when I was cleaning out my apartment last year.
    Hahaha, how long had it been since you cleaned? 2000?

    OT, with datamining and sites like Wowhead, there's no such thing as hidden CDs. If you're curious about how often something spawns/drops items, check there.

  16. #56
    Blizzrandom is unbeatable. My last chest for this week. Guess, what it dropped? Instead of dropping ~10% droprate mount from this isle, it dropped ~1% droprate mount from ANOTHER isle, I don't actually need. Fuck you Blizzard.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •