Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I think that is ultimately what needs to be decided. How many times are they going to keep making the same "mistakes" and getting away with it. The definition of insanity is to do the same thing multiple times and expect different results. This goes for all news outlets too. The only good journalism these days is investigative journalism, most basic news reporting has become an attempt to generate clicks and views with sensationalism, rather than being a source of accurate information and the truth. This happens in everything from everyday news to gaming "journalism" to music, TV and entertainment related news. The whole concept of ethical journalism and quality have gone out the window for a lot of media outlets.
    It has to do with the speed of information, the speed at which we want. It is how CNN actually build a bad reputation for themselves as they were trying to be quicker than others rather than reliable what led to incorrect information being reported on.

Because information has to come instantly to compete with other online sources that means reviewing and editing is done at a minimum, that's why as you say investigative journalism is worth reading because those articles take a long time in the make and are build very solid, the reality is most news outlets can't function on that because their income comes from add revenue and so it is the number of views, clicks or papers they sell that makes them financially viable and stable in the long run. Although News agencies also simply just mimic our behaviour we want faster and easier digestible news because we are always in a hurry, the majority of people don't got time to listen to an hour long debate.

So those investigative pieces while great examples of how journalism should be done are actually very expensive for such companies and there for they can't be used as the foundation to build your news agencies around.
    This also goes for talk shows, how few of those are actually long enough to give a guest the correct amount of time to express themselves, allowing the person to go against the grain, something that has caused people to drop MSM and resort to social media platforms that are unfiltered and unchallenged when i t comes to promoting close minded believes, what in my honest opinion is one of the causes why right leaning folk got more radicalized over the years, although the left isn't completely immune to this either.

I do find accountability has to come in place and how much i dislike censorship, how easy it is for anyone these days to declare themselves a reporter through social media outlets is something that is not okay. Fact checking has to come and i find it even has to be done in a matter a company who provides the platform can be held accountable however..... I also understand the risk in doing this, not for our western world but for countries of people in oppressed nations those governments could also use those tools to silence any opposition they have even more.

What's the answer than? No idea nothing seems to come without its downsides, was simply pointing out it is not simply a matter of wanting to do good. Although Fox news and OANN are really going overboard to the point you can say there's the intend to lie. So it would be nice that at the very least new agencies are forced to correct their mistakes or even falsehoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodia View Post
    American news organizations spread Lies, propaganda and Fake information!! ... Other Breaking news!! Water is wet!!!
    Broadcasting something wrong, then correcting it later is different than intentionally spreading lies. You know who does what.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    1 million died in Germany in 2016 due to the flu?

That sounds rather unlikely

If https://www.destatis.de/EN/Themes/So...th-deaths.html is to be trusted the total death toll in Germany in 2016 was
    910 902

And you claim 1 million of those were due to the flu?
    Amazing how 90K more people died to the flu than all of everyone who died in total.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Broadcasting something wrong, then correcting it later is different than intentionally spreading lies. You know who does what.

- - - Updated - - -

Amazing how 90K more people died to the flu than all of everyone who died in total.
    Not over yet. I noticed a lot of people seem to have tied COVID19 with New York. New York might have hit the peek. A couple of places are exactly where NY was a month ago. Right now. On the 30th when/if everything is opened wide open again it can surge again. All of this with EXTREME things put in place to stop the spread.

I also doubt this was some political conspiracy. Unless you think the democrats hold sway over China, India, and most EU nations that did the exact same thing. That is where your silly argument falls apart.

If you want to see how the virus is being turned political watch a hour or hour and a half news brief held everyday where people that know what they talking about get 10 minutes. Then the President pushes his way from and center to spar with reporters and talk about what he thinks are cures.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Not over yet. I noticed a lot of people seem to have tied COVID19 with New York. New York might have hit the peek. A couple of places are exactly where NY was a month ago. Right now. On the 30th when/if everything is opened wide open again it can surge again. All of this with EXTREME things put in place to stop the spread.

I also doubt this was some political conspiracy. Unless you think the democrats hold sway over China, India, and most EU nations that did the exact same thing. That is where your silly argument falls apart.

If you want to see how the virus is being turned political watch a hour or hour and a half news brief held everyday where people that know what they talking about get 10 minutes. Then the President pushes his way from and center to spar with reporters and talk about what he thinks are cures.
    Not sure what any of this has to do with my comment. But OK.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    So there are around 20,000 deaths in the US so far with the bulk of them coming from New York and New Jersey. Typically you won't find many Fox news viewers in blue states. I found an article that covers what states view which cable news station the most http://archive.vn/TPWXa#selection-999.24-999.55
    The data is slightly outdated but I didn't seem to find anything more recent. So those 3 states we could say are Fox viewers.
    Here's something a little more up to date:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_U...sults_by_state

4.4 million people in the New York/New Jersey area voted for Trump. Every single one of those is a potential Fox news viewer and Trump supporters in general are far less likely to take the Covid19 threat seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Explain to me how taking a drug that may save your life is a bad idea? It's possible the drug may do nothing, but it is also possible that it could help with recovery.
    Would you mind listing possible side effects of taking the drug? When marketing promotes drugs, they at least speed talk through the possible side effects. I’m guessing politicians are exempt from such requirements.

Trump is only doing this to stoke support for opening up the economy. If people believe that there is a drug that can help with symptoms or misunderstanding that it’s even a cure, they are more likely to support opening the country. They would also support politicians, who are more likely to open up the country. Any pretense of anything else is disingenuous.

This drug has been effective in 2/3 of tested patients:
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007016

There are many drugs in similar positions. From malaria to failed Ebola drugs to new compositions. Trump/Pence has a choice... he can spend the hours on research, then dedicate his update meeting going over the latest medical advances and describing how close we are to containing symptoms. He can also bloviate about a single drug, that has not shown clear help in weeks of its limited use, then use the remainder of the saved time blaming everyone and demanding piety. I don’t think Trump is capable of even pronouncing most of the first option, but Pence has no excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I love how Trumpsters are so blindly faithful to Trump that they'll even spin his lies and ignorance as "being hopeful"
    It’s more depressing to realize it’s not spin. It is making people hopeful. The goal isn’t the issue, it’s the tact. You can make people be hopeful by saying the truth. The truth is simply a lot more difficult to explain, when the subject is medicine. It gets even more complicated when the explanation comes from a politician, with an added goal of making them selfs look good.
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-04-12 at 01:11 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Typically you won't find many Fox news viewers in blue states.
    Bold move just throwing out blatantly false statements like that.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    The Death number is every year higher then the Covid 19 deaths (as exampel 2016 1 millionon died to flue in germany) because its a flue and flues evolve/change every year thats why you get it every year even if you are immune from the last years version. Its not that hard to research on the web or listen to peopel like virologist or epidemiologist its not a secret. Also alot of the peopel who died didnt die to corona but are counted as those. I watch independent Journalists/media like Louder with Crowder ,KenFM(german), Timcast IRL, The Rubin report, We are Change. Any ways i wont replay anymore its a waste of time trying to teach a donkey how to not blindly follow the carrot stick.
    Where are you getting this from?

Because...

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/season...season-2016-17

There were and estimated 217,000 deaths across the entirety of Europe.
    Last edited by Themius; 2020-04-12 at 03:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, and before anyone defends them, just remember:

Just watched Mike Wallace wannabe, Chris Wallace, on FoxNews. I am now convinced that he is even worse than Sleepy Eyes Chuck Todd of Meet the Press(please!), or the people over at Deface the Nation. What the hell is happening to FoxNews. It’s a whole new ballgame over there!
    Have fun with that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Where are you getting this from?

Because...

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/season...season-2016-17

There were and estimated 217,000 deaths across the entirety of Europe.
    You really expect honest talk from an account that's a play on sounds, the guys name is Birther for crying out loud.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Oh, and before anyone defends them, just remember:

Just watched Mike Wallace wannabe, Chris Wallace, on FoxNews. I am now convinced that he is even worse than Sleepy Eyes Chuck Todd of Meet the Press(please!), or the people over at Deface the Nation. What the hell is happening to FoxNews. It’s a whole new ballgame over there!
    Have fun with that.
    Update:

Enough with the 3rd grade name-calling. Chris is doing his job. The news should not be any president’s friend, ally, or buddy. If it bothered you when Obama complained about Fox News, but you’re silent on this complete nonsense, then just stop
    -- FOX News

More specifically, Jedediah Bila, weekend co-host of "Fox & Friends".

Trump only shows loyalty to himself. Eventually, even the short bus reaches the finish line.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The lawsuit is asking for admission of wrongdoing. This will be major if it happens. News organizations make retractions all the time, at least, honest ones do, when they make a mistake or follow early evidence that leads astray from later ones. Those typically don't end in legal action, as @cubby will probably say and if not I'll be publicly shamed and rightly so. This lawsuit is trying to force FOX News to admit they were wrong -- which, based on over twenty thousand dead, they were. It shouldn't have required a lawsuit. It should have required ethics.

If FOX News loses -- waaaaay too early to say -- and is forced to make an apology at figurative gunpoint, it's going to be a major blow against them. Especially since, based on how long lawsuits like this take, it could be months or even a year later, when the COVID-19 body count is at its maximum. Every news organization on Earth, and I'm not sure if OANN counts, will take turns reporting on this story and half-concealing smug looks of superiority, sometimes because of genuine glee (CNN) but also because they'll be about to inherit part of FOX's audience share. "We were wrong" is one thing, "We were wrong and killed thousands of our own viewers" is another.
    While entirely complicated, typically when news organizations make factual mistakes, they print a retraction, or offer the retraction in an appropriate media - which do not result in legal action. Because ethics are thing.

On a larger scale, it's one good way to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    While entirely complicated, typically when news organizations make factual mistakes, they print a retraction, or offer the retraction in an appropriate media - which do not result in legal action. Because ethics are thing.

On a larger scale, it's one good way to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.
    My guess is that the argument Fox News will use to avoid this is that the talk-show host aren't actually journalist and report the news. It's a opinion piece so they can say whatever they want.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    My guess is that the argument Fox News will use to avoid this is that the talk-show host aren't actually journalist and report the news. It's a opinion piece so they can say whatever they want.
    That makes sense. They will more than likely present several arguments at once and seek Summary Judgment to kill the suit as fast as possible. If denied, they'll keep it tied up in appellate courts for months/years (just the SJ issue). High end corporate attorneys were designed to delay these kind of suits forever.

This suit was dead in the water before it started. But the filing of it is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    That makes sense. They will more than likely present several arguments at once and seek Summary Judgment to kill the suit as fast as possible. If denied, they'll keep it tied up in appellate courts for months/years (just the SJ issue). High end corporate attorneys were designed to delay these kind of suits forever.

This suit was dead in the water before it started. But the filing of it is very important.
    However at the same time though, you could argue that commentary of news is equal to the news.
    Instead of an 30 min segment on multiply events of the day you could argue that the talkshowhost have a 1 hour show that goes deeper in the events of the day making it news.

So to put in in perspective. The news would report on how many are infected and what the response to that is, so a piece that may have been allocated 5 mins given the severity instead of 1 min.
    Talkshow host has 60 mins (or whatever) the time to dive into this topic, he/she has the time to talk about the policies, invite experts and ''educate'' his audience.

In this scenario you could argue that these opinion-host are in fact news and that the audience experience the shows as news.

Still though. It's pushing the definition because it's untested waters but having said that. We as a society need to broaden (read update) the definition to what is considered journalism/news because our current standard is definitely out of date. For example, you can not have FB that wants to be considered a ''news media'' in some regards not follow the same rules as news, which is why they allow so many fake/edited political adds.