Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingbenji View Post
    Came back a bit in SWTOR to relaunch my old account. Always enjoyable to navigate in this universe. Only thing I find a bit crappy is the general feeling of the graphical engine (combats notably are very clunky compared to fast paced games such as WoW) and the number of spells you have to play with is absolutely gigantic, it is really not fun to play with 10+ different action buttons during a combat :-(

    So yes nice to quest but combats are really ruining my experience so far
    As far as the button bloat goes I just figure out a "rotation" of abilities that works pretty well and ignore many of the others. I think that leaves me with about 6 necessary buttons on my Merc right now The graphics of combat just is the way it is, nothing that can really be done to improve that
    Shut your goddamn mouth, Gene!

  2. #62
    Its a Game I resub to and play for a month or 2 then unsub and let it sit for a few years, I do enjoy it a lot. But the game is pretty shallow now.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    As far as the button bloat goes I just figure out a "rotation" of abilities that works pretty well and ignore many of the others. I think that leaves me with about 6 necessary buttons on my Merc right now The graphics of combat just is the way it is, nothing that can really be done to improve that
    I play Arsenal, what abilities do you use ?
    Cause right now, the "mandatory ones" are:

    Tracer Missile
    Supercharged Celerity
    Electro Net
    supercharged gas
    Barrage
    Priming Shot
    Heatseeker missiles
    Rail shot
    Chaff Flare (for threat drop)
    Blazing bolts
    Chic Not Geek

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingbenji View Post
    I play Arsenal, what abilities do you use ?
    Cause right now, the "mandatory ones" are:

    Tracer Missile
    Supercharged Celerity
    Electro Net
    supercharged gas
    Barrage
    Priming Shot
    Heatseeker missiles
    Rail shot
    Chaff Flare (for threat drop)
    Blazing bolts
    Depending on what you're doing (translated, unless it's Operations or maybe Hard Mode dungeons where you still have Tank, Healer and DPS roles and not just hodge podge groups like in Veteran) I wouldn't even call Electro Net and Chaff Flare mandatory because CC and threat drops don't really help all that much, if at all. Definitely useful, but not mandatory, I'd replace Electro Net with Disabling Shot and call that mandatory though, as that's our normal intterupt.

    Regardless, that's not that many abilities, especially when many of them only get used a couple times a minute.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingbenji View Post
    I play Arsenal, what abilities do you use ?
    Cause right now, the "mandatory ones" are:

    Tracer Missile
    Supercharged Celerity
    Electro Net
    supercharged gas
    Barrage
    Priming Shot
    Heatseeker missiles
    Rail shot
    Chaff Flare (for threat drop)
    Blazing bolts
    Ok, let me fire up my game and I'll see what I'm doing. Keep in mind, like Katchii said, it all depends on what you're doing. I'm not doing Ops so maybe some abilities would be more useful there that I'm not using right now. Also you can keep rarely used abilities on a bar somewhere out of the way for "just in case". For me those out-of-the-way abilities would be things like Hydraulic Overrides, Disabling Shot, and Supercharged Gas. Things I can get away with not using most of the time. No, it's not "optimal", but then I don't really need to be for the content other than Ops.

    So I open a fight with Heatseeker Missiles. Go to Blazing Bolts and then Priming Shot to proc on Tracer Missile. After TM it's another BB then Rail Shot to finish off the rotation. And I have Rapid Shots bound to my side mouse button to fill in dead space because that's what I like using for that.

    So I'm using 6 abilities basically and they work just fine for all the content I'm doing. Again, I'm sure it's not optimal but I prioritize fun and comfort over min/max'ing.
    Shut your goddamn mouth, Gene!

  6. #66
    The Patient Nak88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Huelva (Spain)
    Posts
    266
    SWTOR is still one of the best solo games for me. Amazing questlines for the different classes.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingbenji View Post
    Came back a bit in SWTOR to relaunch my old account. Always enjoyable to navigate in this universe. Only thing I find a bit crappy is the general feeling of the graphical engine (combats notably are very clunky compared to fast paced games such as WoW) and the number of spells you have to play with is absolutely gigantic, it is really not fun to play with 10+ different action buttons during a combat :-(

    So yes nice to quest but combats are really ruining my experience so far
    not sure what you mean by that, most of the top dps specs use about 8 or less buttons in their general rotation which is comparable to WoW. I have roughly the same amount of keybinds on my swtor dps characters as I do on my WoW dps characters.

    if I had to guess I'd say you're probably playing a marauder which does have a lot of abilities (a handful of which are not used in the actual rotation) but even though only have about 8 core rotational abilities + 2 filler resource generators

    edit: just saw your second post saying you play arsenal, that spec has the fewest rotational abilities of any dps spec in the game.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    not sure what you mean by that, most of the top dps specs use about 8 or less buttons in their general rotation which is comparable to WoW. I have roughly the same amount of keybinds on my swtor dps characters as I do on my WoW dps characters.

    if I had to guess I'd say you're probably playing a marauder which does have a lot of abilities (a handful of which are not used in the actual rotation) but even though only have about 8 core rotational abilities + 2 filler resource generators

    edit: just saw your second post saying you play arsenal, that spec has the fewest rotational abilities of any dps spec in the game.
    Thanks a lot to all of you for your answers.

    Indeed it took some time for me to figure out that many spells were absolutely garbage at high level (such as fusion missile - unless you use a certain relic - or exploding dart). So at the end there are less spells to play with. In my case it is (putting aside AOE) Tracer Missile, Electronet (yes many guides still say it must be in the classical rotation), priming shot, heatseeker, blazing bolts, rail shot and the pew-pew filler (don't recall the name). Aside from that there are the "offensive CD's" with the supercharged xx to be used sometimes as often as other spells if I understand well.

    For that matter I use this guide I found : https://vulkk.com/2020/08/29/swtor-6...de-by-endonae/

    So yes less spells than expected but a bit more than my Havoc DH - nothing insurmontable !
    Chic Not Geek

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingbenji View Post
    Thanks a lot to all of you for your answers.

    Indeed it took some time for me to figure out that many spells were absolutely garbage at high level (such as fusion missile - unless you use a certain relic - or exploding dart). So at the end there are less spells to play with. In my case it is (putting aside AOE) Tracer Missile, Electronet (yes many guides still say it must be in the classical rotation), priming shot, heatseeker, blazing bolts, rail shot and the pew-pew filler (don't recall the name). Aside from that there are the "offensive CD's" with the supercharged xx to be used sometimes as often as other spells if I understand well.

    For that matter I use this guide I found : https://vulkk.com/2020/08/29/swtor-6...de-by-endonae/

    So yes less spells than expected but a bit more than my Havoc DH - nothing insurmontable !
    glad you're feeling more comfortable with it now. the guides on vulkk are great and I'd also recommend this guy's guides as well: https://sites.google.com/view/merlyn...ome?authuser=0

    he has thorough up to date guides for every spec in the game, so if you ever wanna branch out and try another spec/class I'd recommend starting there. vulkk's site is missing a few specs for the current patch I believe.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    glad you're feeling more comfortable with it now. the guides on vulkk are great and I'd also recommend this guy's guides as well: https://sites.google.com/view/merlyn...ome?authuser=0

    he has thorough up to date guides for every spec in the game, so if you ever wanna branch out and try another spec/class I'd recommend starting there. vulkk's site is missing a few specs for the current patch I believe.
    Thanks !! Very useful guide
    Chic Not Geek

  11. #71
    The Lightbringer Strawberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sweden/Yugoslavia
    Posts
    3,140
    I picked it up a couple of days ago after playing Guild Wars 2 for a week.
    In my opinion yes, it's worth playing.

    I think all 4 currently big games have a spot in the MMORPG universe.
    Maybe even Black Desert.

    World of Warcraft need no explanation.
    SW: ToR is basically WoW in SW universe. It has better graphic, better single player and better story. And it's pure sci-fi! The animations are stiff though and it has less content and players.
    Guild Wars 2 has the pvp and rather differnt approach to skills. It also doesn't overwhelm you with skills like WoW and SW.
    The Elder Scrolls Online has more of an action based combat, different than the above games. Another game with very few skills. Great casual game imo.
    Black Desert is even more action but it's a typical Asian game. I enjoyed Lineage 2 back in the day when you could die and drop half your gear, but now that I'm older, I don't have time to just grind. Nor I want to mindlessly grind monsters for hours.

  12. #72
    The first 40 hours would be good. The storytelling is solo like. ^_^

  13. #73
    One issue this game has had for a while for me is that it takes eons to update whenever there is a new patch. I have a pretty descent computer that can install/update just fine and run all other MMOs at the highest settings (WoW, WoW Classic, ESO, GW2, and from when I used to play TSW and FFXIV), but for some reason SWTOR takes sometimes days to completely update, as it is doing now for me with the latest patch. So for someone like me that wanted to give their bounty hunter a spin after seeing the new Mandalorian trailer, this is a non-starter so do keep that in mind in case you want to try it

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    One issue this game has had for a while for me is that it takes eons to update whenever there is a new patch. I have a pretty descent computer that can install/update just fine and run all other MMOs at the highest settings (WoW, WoW Classic, ESO, GW2, and from when I used to play TSW and FFXIV), but for some reason SWTOR takes sometimes days to completely update, as it is doing now for me with the latest patch. So for someone like me that wanted to give their bounty hunter a spin after seeing the new Mandalorian trailer, this is a non-starter so do keep that in mind in case you want to try it
    Huh, I update in no time at all. Maybe 15-20 minutes tops when it's verifying for awhile.

    Also, right now is a good time to play. There is a new ingame event, The Feast of Prosperity, and it encourages fighting world bosses and groups are being put together constantly all day long. A good time to see some of the galaxy you may have skipped before.
    Shut your goddamn mouth, Gene!

  15. #75
    Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    5,568
    As in leveling? yes, definitely. But leveling just got a bit destroyed.

    The good thing is: you get to pick an Xpack, which allows you to deep dive a bit more into a part of wow rather than out-leveling all of them within hours.

    The bad thing is: Leveling is way too fast, you even out-level that ONE part (X pack) you pick. Leveling should not take less time that what the average is to clear an Expansion plus BfA. 1, 2 or 3 days of played time, so be it. 8 to 10 hours like it takes now? that is ridiculous. Could have saved themselves the time waste on this "revamp".

    As in end game? Well, as this is the pre patch, there is no thing as end game atm, just a count down of maybe month and a half or so for the release But from next week you can farm some epics in preparation.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    Huh, I update in no time at all. Maybe 15-20 minutes tops when it's verifying for awhile.

    Also, right now is a good time to play. There is a new ingame event, The Feast of Prosperity, and it encourages fighting world bosses and groups are being put together constantly all day long. A good time to see some of the galaxy you may have skipped before.
    It was playing just fine about a month ago when I fired up to check what's new, after seeing that trailer. I tried again 3 days ago and it was doing whatever it was doing since then, so I uninstalled it today and I am re-installing to see what happens. I dread next week when they will have another patch !

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    As in leveling? yes, definitely. But leveling just got a bit destroyed.

    The good thing is: you get to pick an Xpack, which allows you to deep dive a bit more into a part of wow rather than out-leveling all of them within hours..
    Wrong game for this forum. This is SWTOR, WoW is ^^^ up that way

    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    It was playing just fine about a month ago when I fired up to check what's new, after seeing that trailer. I tried again 3 days ago and it was doing whatever it was doing since then, so I uninstalled it today and I am re-installing to see what happens. I dread next week when they will have another patch !
    I hope that sorts the problem out for you. I sometimes have issues updating some games that others have no trouble with and sometimes I'm the one who has no troubles. Who can tell which game is gonna flake out on ya? Right now I can't update MTG Arena at all.
    Shut your goddamn mouth, Gene!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •