Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Worth playing now?

Or should I just punt and play something else?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's always worth playing if you just want a WoW-type MMO with a great Single Player Star Wars story.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    It's always worth playing if you just want a WoW-type MMO with a great Single Player Star Wars story.

Pretty much this.
    If you like Star Wars and MMORPGs - You'll like this.
    Just know that level 1-50 for each of the classes (AKA the Class stories) is the best content this game has to offer. The rest, level 50 + usually is mediocre at best and at worst some of the most WTF moments in writing and a complete drop the ball type scenario.

But those class stories are indeed amazing. Even the worst of the class stories beats all the expansion content bioware has tried by huge margins they are that good.

Poster above is exagerating. The class stories aren't amazing or anything, but they are exclusive to the classes. What happens after is that the story gets unified for all classes and it was a pill hard to swallow for many. The story is actually better, just not tailored to your class specificly. Since we are talking about KotFE/ tET, it tends to fit a force character better.

With Onslaught we start getting 2 sides of the stories. One for each faction.

Anyways, in short, yes. The game and classes in particular are a lot of fun. If you've been bored by WoW classes, it will be a breath of fresh air to play classes with depth again. As always, the only problem with the game is the pace at wich new content drops, if you can overlook the bugs. All mmo's seem to be a bit buggy these days though.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-04-12 at 01:06 PM.

Yes its worth playing

There are so many question here like is wow worth playing? Is ESO worth playing?...
    Why not just have a try?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Poster above is exagerating. The class stories aren't amazing or anything, but they are exclusive to the classes. What happens after is that the story gets unified for all classes and it was a pill hard to swallow for many. The story is actually better, just not tailored to your class specificly. Since we are talking about KotFE/ tET, it tends to fit a force character better.

With Onslaught we start getting 2 sides of the stories. One for each faction.

Anyways, in short, yes. The game and classes in particular are a lot of fun. If you've been bored by WoW classes, it will be a breath of fresh air to play classes with depth again. As always, the only problem with the game is the pace at wich new content drops, if you can overlook the bugs. All mmo's seem to be a bit buggy these days though.
    Agreed with your point man

the subscription, from a certain point of view, is cheaper than WoW. it's still $15 USD but they give you $5 of it back in cartel coins each month. you can use those to buy anything from outfits to character boosts.

game is good, but has its issues.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's a solid game. Subscribe for a month, play through the very fun character stories, then drop it. You'll easily get your money's worth and while the f2p is overly harsh, once you've subbed, they relax the restrictions a lot.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by sselucas View Post
    There are so many question here like is wow worth playing? Is ESO worth playing?...
    Why not just have a try?
    Probably because few people want to get invested in a game to only find out "X", "Y" and "Z" sucks and those things happen to be what that particular gamers cares about. Plus SWTOR has indeed had a rocky road over the years.

I get why people ask about games in general but especially so when it comes to swtor.
    Last edited by quras; 2020-04-15 at 12:03 AM.

Game still alive ? Loved the KOTOR solo experience

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Probably because few people want to get invested in a game to only find out "X", "Y" and "Z" sucks and those things happen to be what that particular gamers cares about. Plus SWTOR has indeed had a rocky road over the years.

I get why people ask about games in general but especially so when it comes to swtor.
    To answer both you and the above poster, yes, the game is alive.

There was a change in leadership since Irving left at the end of kotet and the new producer is a big fan of the game and plays it regularly, so he is more in tune with the game's problems and has been fixing them.
    The team is now organised and the game is much better run. It is in a good spot now and you can see how happy and more communicative the devs are.

Aka, it is well worth it to play the game. Just don't go in expecting WoW/FFXVI levels of content support. The game is incredible fun though. If it weren't for that, i would have no need for other mmo's.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-04-22 at 08:52 PM.

If you're into Star Wars and enjoy the story aspect of a game it's worth going through for sure. If you're only interested in endgame (ie. raiding and pvp), you'll probably be disappointed. It's a relatively small developer team working on the game, so updates and new content is a pretty slow affair.

I don't think so. Quitting this game today. It's all over for me. The monumental grind I have went thru wasn't approprietly rewarded in the slightest. For completeting the challenges the game offers you would expect way more rewards or at least chances of getting them. Maybe it's just me (I don't think so), but I haven't been rewared enough for my time and money spent in this game. Shame, cause I was playing SWTOR more because of the sentiment to the franchise rather than cause the game kept me playing, which is the worst thing that can happen - then you'll sooner or later quit the game and the pain can be even harder to swallow

Quote Originally Posted by TripleH77 View Post
    I don't think so. Quitting this game today. It's all over for me. The monumental grind I have went thru wasn't approprietly rewarded in the slightest. For completeting the challenges the game offers you would expect way more rewards or at least chances of getting them. Maybe it's just me (I don't think so), but I haven't been rewared enough for my time and money spent in this game. Shame, cause I was playing SWTOR more because of the sentiment to the franchise rather than cause the game kept me playing, which is the worst thing that can happen - then you'll sooner or later quit the game and the pain can be even harder to swallow
    What the?! What monumental grind? There is no such thing in SWTOR.

This is an aka best gear isn't exclusive to high end raids rant, i guess?
    Well, if that was your expectation, you didnt read about Onslaught. It's play your way and progress. Not, do the hardest OP and trounce on everyone else! There's other mmo's that let you do that. If you came in expecting that, you got only yourself to blame.

With that said, the best ops do reward exclusive set bonuses, so i am really not sure what you on about with your vague complaint post.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-04-29 at 08:19 PM.

That game will be modern forever I think, but also it is need to maintain the game, its mechanic and etc because the way of La2 can be repeated by em.

Conquest has never been easier, Trooper Vanguard was finally fixed, and everything is incredibly convenient these days. It's my main MMO.
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by GnomeWarlock View Post
    Conquest has never been easier, Trooper Vanguard was finally fixed, and everything is incredibly convenient these days. It's my main MMO.
    i usually have all 11 of my 75's conquest capped by friday lol, with much ease.

so, double edged sword there. while i'm happy i get that "i'm done" for the week vibe when i cap that last toon, i'm kind of bummed there isn't much incentive to play capped toons. unless you're trying to win a planet, but with the massively active guilds winning the planet every time there kind of is no reason for my mid sized guild to even try to compete. we could try to invade a smaller yield planet, but c'mon who does that now.

i haven't done dxun yet, and i hear there are different set bonuses and tacticals that drop in there. i wish master mode flashpoints dropped some of them, or a higher item level gear than veteran mode. while spamming hammer station for a couple hours to gear a toon up is cool, it get's old and does have a cut and dry finish. plus, once you have one toon at 306 then basically all your max level toons are at 306.

there needs to be better incentive to run master mode flashpoints and ops.

but for all the people like me that are just sick of all of WoW's bullshit, SWTOR is a good game with probably 40% less bullshit
    Last edited by Vargulf the Happy Husky; 2020-06-07 at 03:23 AM.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

There is basically no endgame as all it does is recycle raids/dungeons from previous expansions. I dont believe swtor has had a new raid since that Iokath one

Combat is basically wow but less fun.

If you’re looking for story, subscribe and play through every class till level 50. Amazing stories, not one «bad» one. Anything beyond that is boring. Might want to take a character through the expansions just to experience the story but I never felt compelled to play through it twice
    An'u belore delen'na

Nah, it not worth paying.
    Maybe becomes playable after they replace the apes in management.
    I apologise. Apes could have managed this game much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to play the game in the very beginning when it came out for a few months.

About a week ago after a Star Wars + Mandalorian binge I was curious to see how SWTOR is doing and gave it a month sub with full intent to treat it like single player Star Wars fix out of boredom, so here is how things look for me:

1. If you were a smart boy and set authenticator back in the days - you will have a pretty nice lump of about 10k Cartel Coins waiting. That's around ~80 bucks worth of game shop currency, which you can use to purchase Master's Datacron. Costs 2k Coins, no biggie if you have that 10k lump waiting for you.

This thing boosts your character to level 70 and gives you level 70 starter gear, while keeping all the story including class story intact, which was awesome for me. As a nice bonus here - all the lower level quests/worlds seem to scale you down to appropriate level, while still rewarding reasonable XP for your level 70 - I am now level 73 basically after several hours of intro quest/planets and cap is 75. You also get credit rewards suitable for level 70, which lets you unlock a lot of essential stuff for credits easy. Basically this way you don't really worry about leveling, questing credits for unlocks and questing gear at all.

There is a downside-ish, if you boost you unlock all your class skills right there pretty much. So you get overwhelmed for a tad and would likely want to hit a basic guide there to make sense of all the skills soup there and set your UI properly.

2. From what I understand even if you don't do the above, as a sub you are given enough XP boost to basically level to 75 by doing main story quests (purple quests) only, which of course is the best because you get to play all the best (or better) story and zip around planets without those pointless side quests.

3. A huge chunk of previously group content can now be soloed and seems to be intended to be soloable, so you get added story there without having to look for group or such.

So the if you combine 1 (optional), 2 and 3 - you can basically play this game as a massive single player Star Wars story for almost free. There is really a huge amount of story content for a guy like me who quit years ago after only doing 1 class story and none of the expansions or for outright new guy.

Dat gonna take a while, bruh...

One thing though - it really seems like a massive walk in the park - don't expect actual challenge. I do think there is an option to make everything harder, but from what I understand until later expansions it will still be cake. I'm only like my third planet still though.

I, personally, intend to treat this as a quick fix Star Wars game for the story mostly and maybe some super casual group stuff once I complete all the campaigns, which seems like would easily take dozens of hours there, the campaign chart is real.

This way I will also likely to avoid the whole "apes in the management" thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and there are new races, especially for Ahsoka Tano fanbois:

You can unlock new races for 500 coins each, I slapped some 2k coins armor there, 500-ish coins saber color (which sucks imo, but oh well) and another 500-ish coins dye. Did not cost me anything because of that Authenticator $$ over the years.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-06-26 at 04:42 PM.