Waitress's Inconsiderate and Selfish Behavior

One day I was at a restaurant eating by myself due to that my husband was working that Saturday for lunch time. The service wasn’t that great throughout my dining experience. I ordered when greeted since I get the same food every single time I have dined there. My waitress brought my soft drink out with the side salad that is an item that actually comes with the entrée with biscuits. She also didn’t come prepared when she had greeted me. I had to ask that if she could write my order down since I had a lot of modifications, so right there I knew I was going to get lazy service simply because servers should have a pen and pad on them that I shouldn’t have had to wait for her to get a pen and paper. That was just lazy on her part right there to not make a separate trip to bring my soft drink first since a drink comes before food always(unless it is free bread and even then the bread would either be given when greeted, not with an item you are PAYING for(side salad). She just wanted to be lazy and make me wait longer for something to drink. Just because I ordered my entrée when greeted doesn’t mean I should have to wait all the time it takes for her to make my side salad(at this restaurant, the servers make the side salads the manager told me so). So at one point in my service, I knew something tasted off in my refill of dr. pepper and it looked off from the clear glass that my dr. pepper was light that she should have noticed the syrup was out, but she didn't since dr. pepper is dark.

So my main thing that happened was that at the end after I paid with my credit card. My waitress gave me my itemized receipt back and the merchant copy only, not the customer copy of the credit card receipt back. I didn’t fill anything out since I saw it pretty much right away, but not too right away that she had already left at another table. Since it wasn’t like 8p.m. at night on a Friday night, that this was between 11a.m.-12p.m. on a Saturday, I was able to get her attention within a minute or so of leaving my table. If I would have had been where my waitress was taking a large party’s order, I would have been sitting for a while. So I ask nicely to get the customer copy back. Rather than being a smart waitress to just apologize that she accidentally grabbed 2 pieces of paper as anybody that had a BRAIN would have, instead I thought this was an honest mistake, she thought I would feel sorry for servers in general so she went ahead and told me the TRUTH about how selfish she was. She told me she leaves the customer copy of the credit card receipt by the computer and if the customer asks for it, she will go back to get it due to that some customers will take the merchant copy home. I was SOOOOOOO HURT by that I said “So you did this intentionally?” That’s when she saw how it bothered me that she made up a story by lying to me after that saying “Oh I didn’t do it for you” and “It didn’t print.” I told her that this is illegal she can’t keep MY copy as a customer and then she made me wait longer to leave which soooooo mean. So I recommended her to get a highlighter might help and she claimed they had none. I told the manager about it and he assured me she couldn’t do what she did with keeping the customer copy of the credit card receipt. What hurt me even more is that when he came out to me when I asked for a manager over this, he said it wasn’t something done in “Malice”, but it was in that she INTENTIONALLY CREATED A LONGER WAIT FOR ME TO LEAVE. THAT is what got her a stiff. Even the lying to me didn’t bother me as much, because she intentionally made me wait longer to be able to leave the restaurant. I value my time just as everyone does. My time is the most valuable in a restaurant and it hurt me she found the time to do that for her precocious tip, but found ZERO time to make a separate trip to bring out my dr. pepper that she made me wait until she finished making my side salad. She also found the time to waste it going to get a pad and pen that honestly should have been ON HER in her apron pocket like other servers do. My husband and I have LOTS and LOTS of times during the years ordered when greeted and had our drinks out first. They didn’t wait to bring out the salad with our first drink. I also told the manager that she treated us as if ALL customers are STUPID IDIOTS that they will ALL take the wrong copy. Also, I told the manager, that look at how I didn’t fill out the merchant copy and how it does NO GOOD to do this for people like me that don’t fill out the merchant copy without the customer copy. I also told our waitress and him that we go to many restaurants, so it’s hard to remember what amount of tip you left if you don’t write it on the customer copy. You also don’t have any proof of any credit card receipt if you don’t have a copy for yourself.

The thing that gets me with this is how SELFISH this waitress was. HOW selfish can you be to make sure you get your money so badly that you PURPOSELY make someone wait there longer to leave and think that will be a positive thing? Why would she be so dingy and stupid to tell me the truth? Why do servers think that people will feel sorry for them simply because they only make $2.13/hr? I have given 30% and more tips to servers before. On that particular meal when I have eaten it by myself, I have left $7 for a tip for it. Usually the check is around $14-$16 worth or so give or take. I also have given $20 for Christmas to my favorite servers over the years.

Honestly, what hurts me the very most is how she PURPOSELY CREATED a LONGER WAIT for ALL her customers. She could have been at another table getting some refills instead of making another useless trip to get the customer copy of the credit card receipt. She wasted time also when she is doing this; she is so stupid to think that customers will tip her more when they ask her for the receipt that she looked like she forgot. When I have to wait longer because someone forgets something, I don’t tip nearly as well without any apology. How stupid she is that if she would have just said she accidentally didn’t grab the extra paper, I would have fully believed her, that’s how STUPID she is to tell me how selfish she was. She wasn’t lazy to make sure she got her tip, but she was too lazy in my service to bring me my drink first like things are supposed to go that you get your drink BEFORE ANY food arrives(the side salad that you PAY for that’s NOT FREE, unlike bread or chips n’ salsa at a mexican restaurant.

It is 100% PURE MALICE in that she decided to make me wait longer to leave the restaurant to make sure she gets a tip. HOW more MEAN can you get, huh? Then she lied to me. The manager told me “Oh, it did print” that he guaranteed she lied to me. I am still hurt by this and it’s been a while since. The reason why is that how SELFISH she was. She only cared about her tip and NOT about her customer’s time or feelings or thirst for that matter. She didn’t look at the drink to make sure it was not out of syrup. She didn’t bring me my drink first and waited because she didn’t want to make an extra trip to the table. She also treats her customers as EVERYONE is stupid. Only once have in the zillion of times my husband and I ate out, have kept the wrong copy and it was signed. Guess what the manager said? As long as there is a SIGNED copy, it doesn’t matter WHICH COPY is there. That’s how STUPID she is. She also did it for 100% nothing since I didn’t fill out anything yet and as I said, if she would have been at a large party or even taking a party of 4’s entrée orders with them asking questions, I would have been there for quite a while waiting and then especially if she would have put in their food order first. The manager also said she could buy highlighters herself even.

Why are servers so SELFISH like this? Why can’t they treat customers like HUMAN BEINGS WITH FEELINGS? I was hurt by it to see that she did this with PURE INTENT, NOT by accident. I can see as I have even done at my own job didn’t grab a piece of paper off my desk. I don’t know WHY she told me the truth, but now I know if this ever happens, most likely it’s done with intent? She was pretty darn dingy and stupid to tell me the real truth. I mean to hold someone hostage so they can’t leave the restaurant is going to affect the tip even if it’s not done intentionally. I am not going to give 20% if it’s not busy for a server to do this even if they forget the customer copy by accident. If it’s busy, if they really did forget it, I would forgive them if I didn’t have to wait long, but if I have to wait long like 5-10 minutes, I am NOT going to tip at all. That’s how STUPID she is. She thought making someone wait longer to leave is a good thing in service done on purpose? She thinks that mistakes don’t count in service for the tip? That’s stupid how she thinks. She’s also so selfish to not buy highlighters if this is such a problem. Of course, that’s taking up 3 seconds of the customer’s time as well to do such a stupid thing to act like everyone is STUPID and can’t READ as well. You don’t want to waste your customer’s time. Even if it’s 3 seconds, you want to make sure they get their stuff so they can leave. Also, it’s a customer copy. What does that tell you? Since it’s a credit card receipt **CUSTOMER COPY**, WE as customers OWN it, so it’s theft. That piece of paper is OURS, NOT HERS for the taking.

I hate managers like this, because they can’t see that a lot of servers are PURE EVIL like this that YES she did do it out of malice. She wanted to make sure she’d receive her tip. In order to do that, she punished the innocent customer’s time for it as well as her other customers. I spoke to her for around 2 -3 minutes or so talking to her about what she did wrong and how this is illegal that she can’t do this. She also took up time to tell me the stupid story in the first place and then act like she didn’t say it by saying it didn’t print.

What’s so stupid is that even if something doesn’t print, you as a server are responsible for bringing me the 3 pieces of paper back to my table, so by missing it even by accident is the server’s fault 100%, NOT the printer. The printer doesn’t have mechanical arms to give me my check. This isn’t a kiosk like at Chili’s that prints my check. So even if it didn’t print, why would that matter? I should have told her, but didn’t think about it, “So you can’t count you mean to tell me” when she told me it didn’t print. I would have loved to see her reaction then. I was just so taken aback about how EVIL and SELFISH this waitress was to her customer’s time(all her customers, not just me). Getting something for another customer in the time she wastes doing this extra trip is wasting time for everyone. She’s so stupid to think that people should feel sorry for servers when they are purposely making you wait longer for something. That’s just COLD-HEARTED 100%!

Of course I didn’t tip her. Even if the rest of the service would have been good(which it wasn’t), I would have stiffed on her purposely making me wait to leave the restaurant(not even counting the lying she did), just for the fact that she made me wait to get my copy of my credit card receipt on PURPOSE, NOT by pure accident. First off, she took up my time to tell me that she leaves it by the computer and that if the customer asks for it, she will get it. That’s time out of my life I wanted to leave and she told me that crap about how SELFISH she really was. I can’t for the life of me believe how STUPID and DINGY she was to tell me that?

I am just frustrated about how selfish servers seem to be today. They don’t check the prices on the menu against your check. They blame the computer or old menus or corporate for a wrong overcharge price. They act like they can’t read and yet they want THEIR MONEY RIGHT when tip time comes, but they don’t care if they get YOUR MONEY RIGHT. It’s so SELFISH and MEAN!

They take up your time to write stuff on the CREDIT CARD receipt and even circle the GRATUITY scale on the check as some servers have. Why be so INCONSIDERATE of the customer’s time like that? Why not earn your pay the CORRECT way by being a CONSIDERATE HUMAN BEING? People want to leave the restaurant and the servers would rather “turn-n-burn” the table for the next set of customers to make money, well if she did this when there was a wait for a table, she was preventing customers from being seated sooner even the evil waitress. Very MEAN and INCONSIDERATE! I couldn’t fathom doing something like that to another human being. I honestly couldn’t.

For her to lie to me after the fact was just stupid, because even if something doesn’t print, for her not to have the 3 pieces of paper is her doing all the way no matter what the machine does or doesn’t do. I should get back the check(itemized receipt), the merchant copy of my credit card receipt and the customer copy of the credit card receipt. She didn’t care she took someone else’s time away from them. That’s what REALLY hurts the very most of all. The time it took for her to get the check and the time it took for her to tell me the selfish story about how she leaves it at the computer on purpose.
    To make customers wait longer to leave is not going to get her the best tip she could possibly get. HOW STUPID can she be? It is VERY MUCH MALICE and that’s what hurts that the manager was on my side about how she couldn’t do this, but to say it wasn’t malice, well yeah it was PURE MALICE, because she wanted to make 100% sure she got her tip no matter at WHO’S TIME expense she costs. She also was so stupid to say she didn’t do it for me when she told me she did initially. I was just so surprised at how VERY EXTREMELY SELFISH this waitress was not to think about NO ONE ELSE BUT HER SELFISH SELF!

I just can’t believe she stupidly told me the truth. She should have lied about that she grabbed it too quickly. I would have honestly believed her. She probably would have gotten still a low tip for the bad service she gave otherwise as well, but would not have stiffed. She is pretty darn dingy if you ask me to tell a customer the GOD’S HONEST TRUTH to purposely create an issue at a table.

This reminds me of the another restaurant experience where a waitress once at a restaurant my husband and I had never been to out of town before on a really busy Sunday afternoon even had a wait for a table for. I ordered the appetizer when greeted adding just a side of ranch to it. After she comes to get our entrée orders and when we are in the middle of ordering, a food runner comes to bring the appetizer to us without the ranch, right away she tells us I quote “I didn’t put the ranch on the ticket, because the food runners don’t read the tickets.” How dingy was she that she didn’t realize that she was not blaming the food runners, she was actually admitting even though she didn’t say it verbatim “I was too lazy to put that a side of ranch into the computer and I was too lazy to bring it out when I came to get your entrée orders as well when I very well could have” is what she really was saying? I can’t believe some of these servers are acting so dingy to tell the customers the HONEST TRUTH they aren’t doing their job and are totally UNCARING, INCONSIDERATE, LAZY, AND VERY SELFISH PEOPLE. It’s unbelievable to think this waitress thought she was blaming the food runners. I mean how STUPID can this waitress be, seriously?? I did report it and the only reason she got an 8% tip was because after that happened I asked her to bring the condiments ahead of time for my entrée. Get this, she was so lazy she asked what refill my husband had at the end since we got some refills to-go which at the same time we also asked for the check which she was too lazy to read the check, because the actual drink names were on the check(she didn’t write it down though, so she didn’t have that to verify with, but she had the check she could have found out what my husband had. That’s how lazy some servers are today. They don’t even want to take 2 seconds to see on their own what the drink was or press the button for ranch or put in ranch into the computer(5 seconds).

I truly didn’t realize a lot of servers were this selfish and self-absorbed until this and the circling of the gratuity scale as well as the servers that don’t check over the check for accuracy for wrong prices. If they don’t care about your time or your money, WHY should you care about theirs? It’s should be an EQUAL/EQUAL relationship between server and customer where the server cares about your time and money, the customer cares equally about their server’s money. That’s how it SHOULD GO to be FAIR AND EVEN! NO, it’s ENTITLED and SELFISH is what it is. People wonder why I have a vendetta against servers some people have said, well, I don’t have it for all, but look at how they TREAT US CUSTOMERS. I mean ZERO RESPECT is how they treat us. They don’t act like we have other things to do in life. We don’t want to wait around for our customer copy or longer for our check to point out how to tip when that’s our decision or longer to leave to write things on the credit card receipt taking up more of our time away from us. The longer we sit, the longer you can’t make more money you dumb servers that do these things! HOW STUPID can these servers be if you do these things, huh? Especially if they have a wait for a table, you are hurting yourselves. You may even lose a customer if they wait too long for a table. I know, I have seen a couple leave in front of us they felt they waited too long to be seated even after waiting a while, they just decided to leave.

So to the customers out there that feel sorry for servers, how do you feel now seeing how SELFISH servers are at times these days? I didn’t say all servers, but A LOT of servers seem to be selfish. Why are servers so mean and selfish like this? As I said, the waitress at the first restaurant I talked about found the time to make a separate trip to the table to bring me the customer copy, but didn’t find the time to bring me my first soft drink as a separate trip or take 2-3 SECONDS to look at the dr. pepper to notice if it’s out of syrup or not. What a MEAN and SELFISH well you know. I kind of remember a couple of times during the many years of eating out we had to ask for the customer copy, but I thought it was just a mistake, now I know, it’s probably not EVER a real mistake now that this happened to me. I can’t believe she actually told me the truth that she made me wait longer to leave to make sure she’d get her precious tip as if everyone is going to do this that can’t read or something. She’s so SELFISH and ENTITLED!

While I know during this time we can't go out to eat, this is for the future times when things get back to normal in restaurants.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not reading all that. Try to summarize
    #boycottchina

5+ Year Old Account
    Wow, this is closed. Please post threads that initiate discussion instead of venting about your day.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."