Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    You need to create a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. Reduce your daily calorie intake by 200 calories and you will gradually lose weight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I don’t want to lift, because I don’t want muscle mass. And I think training endurance still builds muscle? Also, cardio is too much work for just losing half a meal’s worth of calories.

I used to weigh 95 lbs. Now I’m almost double that. I used to drink tea when I had cravings, but now there’s popcorn, chips and ice cream around. Should I just not eat as much? Is that really all?
    1. Stop eating late at night (as in don't eat and then sleep or eat close to sleeping. No midnight snacking at the fridge)
    2. Control your intake (good breakfast, light dinner)
    3. Get a good night's sleep (the body adds fat in a state of stress and sleep depravation is a state of stress)
    4. Be careful of what you eat. A desert here and there is fine but you need to understand the balance of your body. If you don't burn it, your body stores it, is a very crude summary.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Actually, weight loss is just as easy as rocket science. Once you get into orbit, you weigh nothing. Mass loss is quite another matter entirely.
    Except that mass cannot be created or destroyed. Guess we will have to settle for removing it from the body by converting it somehow.

Use an app like My Fitness Pal to count your daily caloric intake. The first step is CICO - Calories In (vs) Calories Out. The app has a goal setting that lets you put in your current weight and your goal weight with some options on when you want to reach it (within reason), and then tells you how many calories you should be consuming a day to make your goal.

It requires you to log all your meals, snacks, drinks, exercise, etc through out the day, but its pretty easy to do. Most of the time you can just scan the barcode of anything you're eating at home and it will automatically populate it. For everything else, you can generally just do a search and it will find the food.

Also, you will naturally find yourself eating less garbage because you'll want to focus on eating lower calorie meals that leave you feeling fuller for longer, high protein food like chicken, etc. I'm eating a lot less bread and junk food because it just leaves me feeling hungry and makes it harder to reach my goal.

I'm currently using it to drop from ~ 165lb to 145lb, its got me on 1500 calories a day losing about 2lb per week.

If you drink regular soda, etc, cut it out. I switched from Coke to Coke Zero. It took some time to get used to the slight difference in taste but now I'm fine with it. This alone cut out probably 300-400 calories a day for me. Its best if you can cut out soda entirely, but if you can't, zero calorie variants are okay until you're hopefully ready to stop drinking them altogether in the future.

You really need to fit in cardio and some muscle training as well though. It doesn't have to be anything crazy but you need to rebuild the muscle.

You can also try intermittent fasting. The body tends to burn the "easiest" stuff for calories first (I.E. food you just ate). If you don't eat for 14-16 hours a day, your body has more time to burn up fat. The most common variant of intermittent fasting is 16 hours fasting, and an 8 hour window to eat meals. Generally your window to eat will start whenever you eat lunch (lets say 12 PM) and then last until 8 PM. After 8, you won't eat again until lunch time the next day. You can have zero calorie drinks during the fasting, like unsweetened tea or black coffee (or zero calories sodas). I have also been doing this on top of CICO.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2020-06-08 at 02:18 PM.

Cardio + eating less crap

anything outside of that is just half-assing it.

to eat less to lose the weight

I don’t want to lift, because I don’t want muscle mass. And I think training endurance still builds muscle? Also, cardio is too much work for just losing half a meal’s worth of calories.

I used to weigh 95 lbs. Now I’m almost double that. I used to drink tea when I had cravings, but now there’s popcorn, chips and ice cream around. Should I just not eat as much? Is that really all?
    kind of an old thread but... given your original weight, I'm assuming you are a woman? you would have to not only weight lift a LOT to gain any sort of serious muscle mass, you would have to take anabolic steroids to make them significantly larger. lifting could of times a week will strengthen your muscle fibers and make them denser and make you burn more calories without looking big. you do low weights with lots of reps will ensure that you will not be getting big. some sort of strength training is pretty much a must if you don't want to have to eat too few calories just to maintain your weight. some amount of cardio is also necessary to maintain your cardiovascular health. however. going for a brisk walk? counts. dancing to a bunch of music you like? counts. using the stairs instead of an elevator or escalator? counts. its not just treadmill.

plain popcorn is actualy fantastic for weight loss, because its voluminous and full of fiber, while being low on calories. but it should be PLAIN or something like smart pop, not full on butter etc. start eating more vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, etc - the kind that is voluminous and low on calories. it will fill you up while being lower calories, which will make it easier to eat less. just add veggies to every meal. start drinking tea again.

do NOT cut your calories too drastically all at once. start small. manageable - one small change at a time. healthy weightloss takes time and is a lifestyle change. shortcuts and extreme diets will just make you yoyo between gaining and losing weight. denying yourself completely something you love, cold turkey is going to most likely lead to eventual binging on it.

and sleep. getting enough GOOD sleep is extremely important. believe it or not, the worse you sleep is, the hungrier you get and the easier it is to end up eating too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Considering bread is one of the worst things to eat if you want to lose weight, I'm glad you aren't
    that is false. bread is absolutely fine to eat when you are losing weight. there are no bad foods (assuming no allergies), only too much food.

10+ Year Old Account
    >I don’t want to lift, because I don’t want muscle mass.

You wont get muscle mass in a calorie deficit state.
    Eat less.
    im cool pls respodn

Let me rephrase - *white bread*
    nope. you can have white bread too. there is nothing special about calories in white bread that makes you fatter then calories in other kind of bread. if you stay in caloric deficit - you will still lose weight.

White bread contains almost no nutritional value because of how it's made, and is very high in carbs

If someone wants to lose weight, you're doing them a horrible disservice by telling them white bread, and by extent, bread - is 'absolutely fine'

Your body in no way needs it and there are zero benefits to eating it

Not to mention, looking at calories just from the perspective of what that particular food has is short-sighted

White bread has fairly high calories, but obviously less than other foods - but white bread has very high carbs, which make you hungrier - so chances are you'll eat more because you ate that white bread.
    1. there is nothing wrong with carbs either.
    2. you can very easily combined aforementioned white bread with more nutritious foods and figuratively speaking - have your cake and eat it to.
    3. if white bread is something you love, completely denying yourself that, for vast majority of people will result in cravings that will lead to binging. having it in moderation, KNOWING that yes you are allowed to have it, makes eating healthy easier. THAT's the benefit. not feeling restricted = feeling less stressed=less cortisol=less hunger/craving issues=fuller reserves of willpower.
    4. the point of being allowed to have your treats instead of going full on "HEALTHY ONLY, OPTIMIZED OR NOTHING" is that its more sustainable. literally the main reason diets fail - with something like 90% of people ending up yoyoing back and forth is because of figuring out sustainable balance of foods they can happily eat for the rest of their lives, they go super strict for a little while, lose weight while absolutely hating their life, the only thing keeping them going - knowing that they will eventually be "done" with a diet - and going back to their old habits... and gaining all the weight back.

in conclusion. its not shortsighted at all, on the contrary. its mean to make new eating patterns accessible and sustainable long term.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2020-06-21 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    1. there is nothing wrong with carbs either.
    They're just energy.

Do you need energy for moving your body around all day? No? You'll see better results off the carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    They're just energy.

Do you need energy for moving your body around all day? No? You'll see better results off the carbs.
    no thank you, I'd rather not deal with brain fog and feeling restricted and unhappy and having to deal with that nonsense for weeks in hopes that my body eventual adjusts and stops getting sick constantly. I know keto etc works for some people and more power to you, but for the rest of us mortals - sticking to a BALANCED diet is a much easier, less stressful and as such - more effective choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    They're just energy.

You seem to be missing the overall point witchblade77 is making here. They key to a healthy lifestyle is finding a balance between what is healthy and what is comforting. You can lose weight and be healthy eating just about anything but pure sugar, as long as you're aware of how many calories you're taking in vs how many you're burning.

Unless you're just looking for a temporary diet to fit a particular goal that you don't intend to maintain it's better to eat what you love in moderation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    You seem to be missing the overall point witchblade77 is making here. They key to a healthy lifestyle is finding a balance between what is healthy and what is comforting. You can lose weight and be healthy eating just about anything but pure sugar, as long as you're aware of how many calories you're taking in vs how many you're burning.

Unless you're just looking for a temporary diet to fit a particular goal that you don't intend to maintain it's better to eat what you love in moderation.
    exactly! that is the point exactly!

I'm not saying that its totaly ok to eat nothing but white bread for breakfast, lunch and dinner - that would be incredibly unbalanced and unsustainable and unhealthy because you will not be getting all the micro and macro nutrients body needs to thrive. I'm saying that you don't have to give up things you love entirely.

a good rule of thumb I found to be healthy whole foods 80% of the time, and whatever you want 20% of the time. so a more concrete example would be for instance a balanced lunch with good amount of protein, veggies, etc... with your favorite cookie for desert. fill up on nutrient dense foods and then that one cookie is enough and you don't feel as much of a desire to eat a whole bag of them.

one caveat is.. I won't claim that everyone has it, but I would say a good number of people do. trigger foods. foods that we absolutely positively cannot stop eating even when we are full, because they trigger response in our brain that is incredibly difficult to manage. for me, for example - that food is dark chocolate covered cherries from cellas. anything else, i'm perfectly content and satisfied with having a small portion of. cellas... its like a tranquilizer dart for my willpower. so I do not buy them anymore, so that there is no temptation to deal with to begin with. out of sight, out of mind. because i do not restrict myself from anything else (that my body can process) - the occasional pang of "I could use a cherry about now" is easier to get over. ironically, its easier to deal with that not being able to eat brussel sprouts ever again, because in a back of my mind I know that if a craving gets too strong, I can just go to a nearby grocery shop and buy an individual cellas they have at a counter, and knowing that I could have it if I wanted to - makes a word of difference. brussel sprouts is something my body categorically refuses to manage, so even though I love them. I cannot have them. even though they are right there, fresh and gorgeous, staring at me from the shelf right next to broccoli... sorry, got carried away a little :P food intolerances suck.

this would be one instance in which I would say, maybe white bread is not a good idea after all. if white bread happens to be an individual's trigger food. then I would replace it with reasonable facsimile (for example - sourdough bread) that comes close enough but doesn't trigger that "MUST. EAT. THE WHOLE. BAG" response.

unless you are training for something specific short term, what you eat on a diet should be what you are happy and content to eat for the rest of your life. you just stay in deficit, adjusting your portions as you go - until you hit your goal weight and then you stay in maintenance calorie range.

I feel both mentally and physically best on a low carb/sugar diet + fasting for 16-18 hours.. Only lift weights 1-2 times a week for 30min and I got a light 6 pack. Generally I stop eating around 5pm and don't eat again until 10am sometimes even 12pm. And always remember everything in moderation, even moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by DANGERDAAIN View Post
    I feel both mentally and physically best on a low carb/sugar diet + fasting for 16-18 hours.. Only lift weights 1-2 times a week for 30min and I got a light 6 pack. Generally I stop eating around 5pm and don't eat again until 10am sometimes even 12pm. And always remember everything in moderation, even moderation.
    Something similar worked for me too. I stop eating around 6pm, which means fasting until I breakfast, something like 9am. Low sugar diet but I eat carbs, pasta, rice, bread, but I reduce the amount as the day goes by. 3/4 times per weak some weights and bit of cardio, around 30 min. I've lost a ton of weight. I was at 112kg before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    no thank you, I'd rather not deal with brain fog and feeling restricted and unhappy and having to deal with that nonsense for weeks in hopes that my body eventual adjusts and stops getting sick constantly. I know keto etc works for some people and more power to you, but for the rest of us mortals - sticking to a BALANCED diet is a much easier, less stressful and as such - more effective choice.
    Yeah, which is why I said "better results".

You can definitely still see results while eating carbs. They just won't come as quickly. The compromise for the quick results is going to be that you feel like absolute death.

I've done a bit of everything to see what works best for me. Keto was too aggressive for me, and balancing my diet to feel good was simply too slow for my liking. I felt like I was still depriving myself of stuff I want (Pizza and Burritos btw), without any legitimate payoff.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 2020-06-23 at 09:45 PM.

Sustained calorie deficit of around 300 - 500 calories below your "maintenance" i.e. the # of calories to keep you at the exact same weight. Though make sure it is balanced; protein is high satiety, so will keep you full, but don't skip on carbs. If anything, just make it a low fat diet. Fats are 9calories per gram, so they add up very quickly vs. protein and carbs at 4cals per gram.

As some have mentioned, this involves counting calories, but really it is a function of routine and habit. Take some time to develop breakfasts, Lunches, and Dinners that in aggregate allow you to hit the target of 300 - 500 calories less than maintenance.

If you don't wish to lift and/or run, walk. Walking actually puts us into the fat-burn heart rate zone, rather than cardio or anaerobic modes, so its perfect, and easy on the body.

Also - stay hydrated. WE can't burn fat if we're dehydrated!

Just stick to that, and the rest is about patience.
    Last edited by Excessiv; 2020-06-23 at 09:53 PM.
    This is my signature. It states my prediction of the next expansion. Not only is it correct in my eyes, but should also be in yours too.
    Anyone who doesn't agree with me is an idiot, a bad, and a pleb.

- A Quote from every narcissistic, defiant, self-absorbed theorist on these forums. True story.

the easiest, quickest and healthiest way to lose weight is to fast.

as long as you supplement sodium potassium and magnesium you can lose almost a pound a day

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Excessiv View Post
    Also - stay hydrated. WE can't burn fat if we're dehydrated!.
    actually if you're dehydrated it pushes your body into ketosis faster in order to make metabolic water from fat cells so if anything you burn more but obviously thats not sustainable for more then a few days or less depending on climate/location

- - - Updated - - -

and before anyone tries to say "haha no you're wrong"

i lost 200 pounds in one year i know what i'm talking about and my bloodwork and everything is great
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Try cocaine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus
    A thread about how hard it is being a white dude is not really a reasonable topic.