Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Count calories and see what intake/burn limits works for you. It is really important to move daily and DO NOT skimp on water.

I used to have a nap every day at ~6-8pm. After day of coding I was doing it just to rest my head and eyes, or sometimes to get over a headache. Had this habit for at least 5 years and it was really wrecking my daily routine. Work, nap, dinner and slouch till sleep. I gained over 35kgs (77lbs) during that time. And once i saw 100kgs on a scale, I decided that it can't go like that any longer.

Replaced nap time with active time. Got a treadmill at home so there was no excuse to blame bad weather and get lazy. And I started counting calories. Made a rule of less than 2000 daily intake and at least 3000 calories burned daily and tried to stick with it. I try to eat healthy food, but do not avoid junk food completely. I just cut it by a lot. Hamburger with a drink and fries can easily be 500-800-1000 calories. Be aware of it and plan your daily intake accordingly. But I notice that with time passing, the cravings for sugar or quick food is diminishing.

It's been 3.5 months since I started it, and I went from 100kgs to ~92 (haven't seen 92.x for several years).

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    None of that has an impact on your diet. The difference is what your body uses as its primary source of energy: Fat or carbs.
    You're actually claiming the fresh fruit has no impact versus gummie bears?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    apparently. he seems to be a heavy Keto proponent, so... meh. I do find it incredibly sad that the diet that was created specifically for people with specific needs is being touted as THE diet for everyone. its like if someone who requires medication to function normal - tells everyone that they need to be taking this medication, since it helped them so much, surely it would make everyone else healthier as well... even though they do not have the condition that requires aforementioned medication and taking it would actualy HURT them, not help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I meant the vitamin gummies, where the amount of sugar outweighs the benefits of the vitamins in them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    apparently. he seems to be a heavy Keto proponent, so... meh. I do find it incredibly sad that the diet that was created specifically for people with specific needs is being touted as THE diet for everyone. its like if someone who requires medication to function normal - tells everyone that they need to be taking this medication, since it helped them so much, surely it would make everyone else healthier as well... even though they do not have the condition that requires aforementioned medication and taking it would actualy HURT them, not help them.
    Why yes I am a huge proponent of a low carb lifestyle. I get it, you can't cut carbs, and there are a fraction of the population who might have a health condition that might make it impossible to do, but for the people with the willpower, they can enjoy the weight loss (if overweight) and health benefits it offers. Are there other ways to be healthy? Of course, but I can only speak for the one that has worked for me and countless others. Not gonna talk about something I don't know about, but I DO know keto and I DO know it's good for most people who can stick to it.

And hey, you can make a metric ton amazing delicious meals on LCHF, so it never feels like you're restricting IMO.

Edit: I just want o add, I'm not saying keto is the only choice like maybe Witchblade77 seems to think, only that it's well proven how beneficial it is, mostly being anti-inflammatory, constant energy levels, reducing blood sugar levels, reversing type 2 diabetes, weight loss and a bunch others.
    Last edited by Schmittay; 2020-12-04 at 04:01 AM.

I meant the vitamin gummies, where the amount of sugar outweighs the benefits of the vitamins in them.

- - - Updated - - -

Why yes I am a huge proponent of a low carb lifestyle. I get it, you can't cut carbs, and there are a fraction of the population who might have a health condition that might make it impossible to do, but for the people with the willpower, they can enjoy the weight loss (if overweight) and health benefits it offers. Are there other ways to be healthy? Of course, but I can only speak for the one that has worked for me and countless others. Not gonna talk about something I don't know about, but I DO know keto and I DO know it's good for most people who can stick to it.

And hey, you can make a metric ton amazing delicious meals on LCHF, so it never feels like you're restricting IMO.

Edit: I just want o add, I'm not saying keto is the only choice like maybe Witchblade77 seems to think, only that it's well proven how beneficial it is, mostly being anti-inflammatory, constant energy levels, reducing blood sugar levels, reversing type 2 diabetes, weight loss and a bunch others.
    its beneficial for specific people the way medications are beneficial for specific people. it does NOT make it wholesale - good for everything thing. something you STILL do not seem to understand.

just becasue something worked for you and multiple other people does NOT mean it works for everyone. medications are also designed to help and DO help multiple people. doesn't mean they are appropriate for everyone at all times.

edited to add the fact that you think that the whole THREE grams of sugar per gummy vitamin (I had to look up average amounts, and this was on the higher end of the amounts) negates all the benefits from the multivitamin? is beyond bizzare.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2020-12-04 at 04:13 AM.

its beneficial for specific people the way medications are beneficial for specific people. it does NOT make it wholesale - good for everything thing. something you STILL do not seem to understand.

just becasue something worked for you and multiple other people does NOT mean it works for everyone. medications are also designed to help and DO help multiple people. doesn't mean they are appropriate for everyone at all times.
    Why can't it work for most people though? All you're doing is switching from using carbs as your primary fuel source to fat. Literally the only people who can't are people with specific medical conditions, or people who lack the willpower. You've offered zero proof that "only some" can do so.

In your other post you mention because it's so hard to quit carbs as the only reason people can't. That's weak willpower, not proof it's unhealthy, lol. I struggled too for the first month, then my body switched to burning fat and felt amazing since. I'm talking headaches, lethargy, cravings beyond belief, depression. But it passes.
    Last edited by Schmittay; 2020-12-04 at 04:09 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dieting, alone, to lose weight is too difficult if you never tried it. If you drank soda your whole life, good luck stopping suddenly. Dieting to lose weight isn't a visceral, involved thing, it's very boring and very intangible and it takes longer, this is like the cut throat route.

When I lost weight, I definitely didn't cut out soda completely. I mostly counted calories and exercised every other day, exercise varied between whatever, you just want your heart rate up. For cardio, heart rate up and for muscle lift heavier and heavier.

If you calorie count, "you can eat whatever you want". What I mean by that is you can still eat sugar and soda if it's within your calorie window and all of your other calories were substantial with actual fiber and nutrients (not processed stuff with zero fiber and low protein).
    Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Hello Fresh, all they do is calorie count your portions, it's not nutrition magic.
    Also the human body will metabolize 50 grams of sugar on its own normally if you aren't over eating, so 100% eliminating sugar is actually not necessary if you know how much you consume per day.

Why can't it work for most people though? All you're doing is switching from using carbs as your primary fuel source to fat. Literally the only people who can't are people with specific medical conditions, or people who lack the willpower. You've offered zero proof that "only some" can do so.

In your other post you mention because it's so hard to quit carbs as the only reason people can't. That's weak willpower, not proof it's unhealthy, lol. I struggled too for the first month, then my body switched to burning fat and felt amazing since. I'm talking headaches, lethargy, cravings beyond belief, depression. But it passes.
    30 seconds of googling https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...nd-early-death

and once again, anecdotal evidence of YOU feeling better... eventually =/= everyone would feel better or even most.

and here is the thing. there are carbs and there are carbs. and there is a world of difference between having harder emotional time with craving sugary treats until you get used to not eating sugary processed treats, but overall actualy feeling better from not having sugary treats..... and feeling like absolute shit and increasing your long term risks of diseases when cutting out healthy carbs along with highly palatable processed ones. and I didn't say it the way that you phrased. i said that most people's bodies NEED certain amount of carbs to function properly. and to add to that replacing them with fat instead is NOT optimal for most people.

it works for you - great. my issue is with you TREATING IT LIKE A FUCKING PANACEA WHILE DEMONIZING NUTRITIOUS FOODS BECAUSE "GASP" THERE ARE CARBS IN THEM.

30 seconds of googling https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...nd-early-death

and once again, anecdotal evidence of YOU feeling better... eventually =/= everyone would feel better or even most.

and here is the thing. there are carbs and there are carbs. and there is a world of difference between having harder emotional time with craving sugary treats until you get used to not eating sugary processed treats, but overall actualy feeling better from not having sugary treats..... and feeling like absolute shit and increasing your long term risks of diseases when cutting out healthy carbs along with highly palatable processed ones. and I didn't say it the way that you phrased. i said that most people's bodies NEED certain amount of carbs to function properly. and to add to that replacing them with fat instead is NOT optimal for most people.

it works for you - great. my issue is with you TREATING IT LIKE A FUCKING PANACEA WHILE DEMONIZING NUTRITIOUS FOODS BECAUSE "GASP" THERE ARE CARBS IN THEM.
    That's not even a study, it's just a lot of "it may" or "possibly" lol. Need to try harder than that >.> If you want to actually prove your point, show actual studies, not opinion pieces mkay?

And I never stated it was a panacea, I even stressed that I am only talking about this lifestyle because I actually know about it. I agree that if you eat lots of unhealthy food that replacing them with fruit containing sugar is better, but eating broccoli is probably way better, but of course to most people it's not gonna taste as good. I'm not disagreeing with you (except the part where you say only some people can do it, which is just plain false), only offering my perspective on a way of eating that has provided countless people beneficial results.

Take care and have a lovely day

That's not even a study, it's just a lot of "it may" or "possibly" lol. Need to try harder than that >.> If you want to actually prove your point, show actual studies, not opinion pieces mkay?

And I never stated it was a panacea, I even stressed that I am only talking about this lifestyle because I actually know about it. I agree that if you eat lots of unhealthy food that replacing them with fruit containing sugar is better, but eating broccoli is probably way better, but of course to most people it's not gonna taste as good. I'm not disagreeing with you, only offering my perspective on a way of eating that has provided countless people beneficial results.

Take care and have a lovely day
    yep. you didn't pay attention to all of those reference numbers next to the statements LINKING to studies, plural. on the bottom of the article, there is a link to another one with its own share of references. i figured all that lack of carbs could not have affected your thinking processes to the point where you cannot work with overview and click on links in that. i guess i was wrong.

I wonder.. how long have you been keto? because see, I look at these things long term. the reason 80% of diets fail is not because diets don't work, but because temporary measures do not provide long term maintainable results.

the ONLY thing that's been proven to work long term is finding a lifestyle that is most beneficial to the individual and then sticking to it. weight loss comes from still living that lifestyle, but in caloric deficit. once you reach your weight loss goal, you stick to maintenance calories, but you eat essentially the same food, participate in the same levels of activity, etc.

and you ARE disagreeing with me, because you are still claiming that fruit is bad because sugar is bad.

yep. you didn't pay attention to all of those reference numbers next to the statements LINKING to studies, plural. on the bottom of the article, there is a link to another one with its own share of references. i figured all that lack of carbs could not have affected your thinking processes to the point where you cannot work with overview and click on links in that. i guess i was wrong.

I wonder.. how long have you been keto? because see, I look at these things long term. the reason 80% of diets fail is not because diets don't work, but because temporary measures do not provide long term maintainable results.

the ONLY thing that's been proven to work long term is finding a lifestyle that is most beneficial to the individual and then sticking to it. weight loss comes from still living that lifestyle, but in caloric deficit. once you reach your weight loss goal, you stick to maintenance calories, but you eat essentially the same food, participate in the same levels of activity, etc.

and you ARE disagreeing with me, because you are still claiming that fruit is bad because sugar is bad.
    5'ish years, all my health markers are exemplary. Only thing lacking was folate which I take a supplement for. Inflammatory markers, cholesterol (HDL/trig ratio specifically), fasting blood sugar levels, liver and kidney function, all improved to nominal levels since starting. I get bloods done every year.

Yes, I think sugar is not ideal for constant consumption.

Also those studies are incredibly vague. Like I said, you can do LCHF very unhealthily. Like I wouldn't ever EVER use most vegetable oils (PUFAS), I think they are incredibly bad. Unless you can know exactly what they ate, it's moot.
    Last edited by Schmittay; 2020-12-04 at 05:08 AM.

5'ish years, all my health markers are exemplary. Only thing lacking was folate which I take a supplement for. Inflammatory markers, cholesterol (HDL/trig ratio specifically), fasting blood sugar levels, liver and kidney function, all improved to nominal levels since starting. I get bloods done every year.

Yes, I think sugar is not ideal for constant consumption.
    good for you. congratulation on being in a minority group for whom keto works for longer then a year. still not good for all people long term.

funny thing is my diet (and I mean that as eating protocol rather then temporary measure, I'm not here to look for weight loss advice, but rather to debunk fads and shortcuts) hat works for me? i would not recommend to other people. even though it works for me. why? because its tailored to ME. it wouldn't even necessarily work for another person with IBS, because they may and likely do have different tolerances from me.

I WOULD recommend reducing processed carbs consumed. according to current nutritional guidelines, we should keep added sugar under 45 grams a day. (or 3 teaspoons) notice it says ADDED sugar, not any and all sugar, that does NOT included fruits, or sugars in vegetables (surprise - veggies have sugars too!)

I would recommend tracking your food and figuring out what you can change, how you can change it and where you can cut the calories on a basis of YOUR personal food journal. but anything more specific then that? is individual. heck even protein requirements range depending on individual needs which include but are not limited to amount and intensity of physical activity.

P.S. blood tests rarely tell full picture. they are a starting point and it is possible to have test results within normal ranges and still have issues

good for you. congratulation on being in a minority group for whom keto works for longer then a year. still not good for all people long term.

funny thing is my diet (and I mean that as eating protocol rather then temporary measure, I'm not here to look for weight loss advice, but rather to debunk fads and shortcuts) hat works for me? i would not recommend to other people. even though it works for me. why? because its tailored to ME. it wouldn't even necessarily work for another person with IBS, because they may and likely do have different tolerances from me.

I WOULD recommend reducing processed carbs consumed. according to current nutritional guidelines, we should keep added sugar under 45 grams a day. (or 3 teaspoons) notice it says ADDED sugar, not any and all sugar, that does NOT included fruits, or sugars in vegetables (surprise - veggies have sugars too!)

I would recommend tracking your food and figuring out what you can change, how you can change it and where you can cut the calories on a basis of YOUR personal food journal. but anything more specific then that? is individual. heck even protein requirements range depending on individual needs which include but are not limited to amount and intensity of physical activity.

P.S. blood tests rarely tell full picture. they are a starting point and it is possible to have test results within normal ranges and still have issues
    We're gonna have to agree to disagree. I think a lot of what you say is factually wrong and you think the same of what I'm saying.

Take care.

Ok so I decided to share my before photos. (Currently) I'm about halfway where I want to be. I have lost roughly 40 pounds in five months since being on Keto. Unfortunately my love of gaming my entire life was starting to catch up to me. This happens when our metabolism starts to slow down. (Not a teenager or in young 20s) I tried catching this before it got out of control..plus I just wanted an overall healthier lifestyle this year. Wish me luck in my endeavors and maybe when Spring hits next year (aiming for a big glow up) if it goes well I will be willing to share my progress..

Oh and I got some World of Warcraft leggings on displaying my love for games.

Routine and discipline in the grocery store. My hardcore addiction to chips means that I'm not allowed to buy them at all anymore, no matter how fantastic Sun Chips are. Harvest Cheddar... it does things to me.

diet and exercise is the answer, you should burn what you eat

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't eat at McDonald's your last 3 meals like me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prinky Doodsie View Post
    diet and exercise is the answer, you should burn what you eat
    If you're burning you should see a doctor or fire extinguisher.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

According to my own experience I can say "Yes. You should just not eat as much"
    I have lost a weight simply eating less and even had to change all my clothes. But now I started eating more and I'm afraid I'll have to take back my old clothes

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    Eat less calories than you burn in a day. Sounds easy enough, is less so when you love food, sweets and sodas.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as you're in a caloric deficit you're going to lose weight. If eating moderately and jogging 20 minutes three times a weak leaves someone in a caloric deficit they're going to lose weight.

Ya sure, but an untrained person can easily eat many times the caloried they can burn with excercise.

I recently cut down about roughly 27 lbs. Yes, you have to stay lower than your maintenance calories. Where I struggled the most was food cravings and L-Carnitine really helped me through.
    What it does is that it basically brings your fat cells to mitochondria where those fat cells are then converted into energy. That way you basically go for longer durations in between your meals and reduce your overall calorie intake. Other than that, I used to take a protein shakes and I totally cut down on Sugar intake.