Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Yes, I can eat a days worth of calories within 4 hours — I’ve been doing it for a few years now.

And I suggest you do some research on fasting for weight-loss, including the health benefits it can have. It’s not just some “TikTok” nonsense, it’s been around for a long time.

What do you think breakfast means? Break the fast
    I know that if you want to build lean mass, you need food through out whole day, not starving for the most of it, and stressing the body. Happy life is eating and moving whole day lol.

Intermittent fasting is another snake oil hacks sell to fat people, because starting eating reasonably and moving is too damn hard.

And it works, because it forces people to eat less, but then fucks with your hormones and stresses the body. It's a shit way to lose weight for slobs...
    Last edited by ldev; 2021-11-12 at 04:43 PM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Your body shouldn’t be starving if you’re eating the recommended daily calorie amount for your weight/height. Also, research has shown that fasting can help your body retain muscle mass more effectively than calorie restriction.

Fasting doesn’t mean you eat less, as I said, yet you keep repeating that. It means you eat all your food/calories within a certain window and don’t eat again that day (fasting).

It seems you’re letting your own ignorance and bias against fasting get in the way of you properly researching about it.
    You haven't even mentioned how great IF is at lowering your insulin resistance too which greatly increases your fat burning and counteracts diabetes. People are just ignorant nowadays, I've lost over 100 pounds doing OMAD without lowering my calories with very minimal exercise.

What I would say to the OP though is to try different methods but don't give up too quickly when attempting each one, keep at it for months before you decide it's not for you.

Lost 16 lbs. in 3 weeks. I only eat 1 meal a day now, and it’s usually something small and healthy, like a subway sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Lost 16 lbs. in 3 weeks. I only eat 1 meal a day now, and it’s usually something small and healthy, like a subway sandwich.
    So, less calories in.........

Yeah, I was hoping that user would research it for themselves without me making a list of all the benefits, but it seems that they’re more interested in just dismissing it as some “fad” and “snake oil”.

Maybe they’ll read the link I provided… but probably not.
    reading the link and not just healthline article, but specifically the studies they link to. i cannot find anything in it other then conjecture. no list of specific nutrient breakdown, just meta study of comparing other studies in a link leading to the greater muscle retention claim. both methods are referred to as calorie restriction by the way, so I'm guessing they made the same assumption most people are making... by limiting when you eat, you end up eating less and therefore create calorie deficit.

at least they admit the flaws in trying to analyze a lot of that data

As mentioned previously, food record data are flawed in that it relies upon subject self-reports. In view of this, it is not surprising that the data from different studies varied so greatly
    but specifically, this paragraph is interesting and I underline key sentences here.

Intermittent calorie restriction: effects on body fat and lean mass
    Body composition changes were only assessed in four of the intermittent CR trials included in this review (Table 2) 19, 21-23. Similar to what was reported for daily CR, short-term trials (4 to 12 weeks) of intermittent CR decreased fat mass by 11–16%, and fat free mass by 1–4% from baseline 21-23. To date, there are no moderate-term trials (13 to 24 weeks) of intermittent CR, so no comparisons between diets could be made for longer intervention periods. We were also interested in comparing the ratio of fat mass to fat free mass lost with intermittent CR versus daily CR. From the studies reviewed here, it would appear as though a lower proportion of lean mass is lost in response to intermittent CR (90% weight lost as fat, 10% weight loss as fat free mass) 21-23 when compared to daily CR (75% weight lost as fat, 25% weight loss as fat free mass) 4, 7-16. Although the reason for this maintenance of lean mass is not clear, these preliminary findings suggest a preferential retention of fat free mass by intermittent restriction regimens when compared to daily restriction protocols. It is important to note, however, that comparing values for fat mass and fat free mass between studies is difficult as different techniques were employed to assess these parameters. More specifically, the majority of daily CR trials implemented dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), while the majority of intermittent CR trials employed bioelectrical impedance analysis. It is well known that DXA and MRI are vastly more accurate techniques for the assessment of fat mass and fat free mass when compared to bioelectrical impedance analysis 33. Thus, the different methods employed could create variability when comparing findings between diets

in other words... until they do a comparative study of both under the same conditions within the same study, rather then comparing different studies from different researchers, using self reported data/no 24/7 observation no less? there is no CONCLUSIVE evidence to state that IF is better then just regular calorie restriction.

as for insulin claims - reading the two cited links from healthline article.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15640462/ this one refers to alternate day fasting and in this case, FASTING insulin has decreased by about 4%. yeah, you fast for longer periods, your insulin decreases more during those periods. doesn't mean anything for "insulin resistance" did mean something for hunger remaining stable thus rendering the diet likely unsustainable.

second study doesn't even seem to be studying IF, but rather effect of carnitine on fat oxidation which is affected by insulin resistance and carnitine can help with that. https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/448357 I was unable to find any studies that demonstrated connection between IF and increased production of l-carnitine by the body.

conclusion.

IF helps you eat less. eating less results in weight loss. there is no other benefit over regular calorie restriction when all things are equal, OTHER THEN PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQJ0Z0DRumg

this video I would recommend watching in its entirety, but I am linking to a specific time in it where he goes over all the common diets that work and WHY they work. spoiler alert. they all help you eat less in one way or another.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bit off topic but i guess it does include wanting to lose weight, how do you beat a soda addiction i gained my weight through drinking loads of Pepsi and Cola, and really having trouble trying to beat the habit, I am a person of routine so every Saturday when I do my supermarket shopping I buy maybe 6 bottles of 1.5litre coke or pepsi usually will drink 1 per day, but at work i dont have access to it so im ok ill drink tea instead and have like 3 teaspoons of sugar so which ive done since ive been a kid.
    Any advice would help i do like water but ive been drinking soda so long now its like i need flavour i.e sugar.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Eat less (and better).

Workout or at least have some long walks.

It's not magic.

Very low carb diet. It can work spectacularly.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Concentrate on the quality of calories. The quantity will go down naturally, but still track them. Measure everything too.

Get up and move. Get a trainer as awesome as my current one. Or hire Adam Levine's trainer who used to be one of mine. Yes, as in Maroon 5.

I've been starving myself for weeks now, eating only 1 meal a day, and I still have a belly.
    Ma, you imagine a belly gone after 1 week, and with a diet like that? Its no small wonder people have no clue why losing weight doesnt work for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    Ma, you imagine a belly gone after 1 week, and with a diet like that? Its no small wonder people have no clue why losing weight doesnt work for them.
    It’s mostly gone now, read my post above.

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    Bit off topic but i guess it does include wanting to lose weight, how do you beat a soda addiction i gained my weight through drinking loads of Pepsi and Cola, and really having trouble trying to beat the habit, I am a person of routine so every Saturday when I do my supermarket shopping I buy maybe 6 bottles of 1.5litre coke or pepsi usually will drink 1 per day, but at work i dont have access to it so im ok ill drink tea instead and have like 3 teaspoons of sugar so which ive done since ive been a kid.
    Any advice would help i do like water but ive been drinking soda so long now its like i need flavour i.e sugar.
    switch to diet, so that at least you cut the calories and slowly reduce how much you drink daily. switch to cans and keep them out of sight so that instead of finishing a large bottle you limit yourself to a can.

reduce your sugar intake slowly. you say you put 3 teaspoons of sugar in your tea? (its not just soda that's making you gain weight, given this) switch to two teaspoons for a few weeks. get used to the taste, switch to one teaspoon. for me, I used to take a fair bit of sugar in my tea for a while, but as I got older, I started to get headaches, so I started reducing my sugar in a tea (I drink a LOT of tea, I can and do drink water, but mostly its herbal or decaf tea). at one point I started to prefer the taste of tea without sugar in it to the tea that had sugar in it. I don't think it will work with those 100 pack lipton tea bags though, that stuff tastes vile (you don't have to go super fancy either, most of the time I drink stuff like those 20 bag packs of twinings of biggelow, they are not as amazing as fancy loose leaf, but they still taste nice)

but anyways, tea specific tangent aside. just slowly reduce your intake. switch to individual cans or bottles vs large 1.5 litre ones. you can control what you buy and have in your home. and its far easier to make better choices when you start by making it easier on yourself through NOT having stuff that tempts you too much at home.

P.S. you may also have a caffeine addiction so unless you like coffee, your only real solution might be switching to diet soda.

Small and "healthy", like a subway sandwich...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Small and "healthy", like a subway sandwich...
    I'm not sure if he is trolling but he does have some outlandish ideas on everything, so who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

I used to weight 20kilo less, til I had to start on anti-depressants. The weight just stuck with me.

Not a healthy way, but I set a goal for 800 calories a day, leaving 800 for snacking if I got the urge and lost 20 kg in 3 months. Got back to old habbits and havent gained anything .
    Feels good having a healthier weight and even learned the diffrence between «satisfied» and «full» ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Rootsbum View Post
    Feels good having a healthier weight and even learned the diffrence between «satisfied» and «full» ;p
    I could definitely gorge on food if I wanted to, but I want to fit in nice clothes.

10+ Year Old Account
    As Katie Hopkins once said *rolls eyes* "eat less, move more" in the most British accent possible

I recommend breathing more helium

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rootsbum View Post
    I used to weight 20kilo less, til I had to start on anti-depressants. The weight just stuck with me.

Not a healthy way, but I set a goal for 800 calories a day, leaving 800 for snacking if I got the urge and lost 20 kg in 3 months. Got back to old habbits and havent gained anything .
    Stop taking anti-depressants, start reading parenting books written by your own gender, more effective long term. From there things will keep getting better in the long run with ups and downs in the short run.

infracted - forbidden topics
    Last edited by Crissi; 2021-11-20 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    Stop taking anti-depressants, start reading parenting books written by your own gender, more effective long term. From there things will keep getting better in the long run with ups and downs in the short run.
    Telling someone to stop taking anti-depressents over the internet with absolutely no information on that individual is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    Diet sodas and zero calorie stuff like Coke Zero are better if you have to have a soda. Another alternative I do is buy carbonated water and flavor enhancers like Mio, basically makes a soda.

It's not for everyone, but for coffee and tea I forced myself to make a permanent switch to liquid stevia extract (the powdered stuff is mixed with other zero calorie sweeteners) after while I completely stopped noticing the aftertaste people complain about. Alternatives are Monk Fruit extract or Allulose (if you can find it) for ways to sweeten things that are a bit better than classic artificial sweeteners. Note that anything other than straight sugar is simply going to be more expensive.