Main stats vs Secondary stats in instanced PvP?

Could anyone clarify how does the scaling of the gear/stats work in instanced PvP such as arenas and battlegrounds?

I see many of the top PvP players ignoring sockets with main stat(not even 1 for "cap") in them and going for secondary ones such as versa/mastery etc. I even read couple of guides a while ago and they suggested using secondary stats, without explanation why should we skip/avoid main ones.

Do the secondary stats scale better? Are the main stats "set" similar to Legion?

Is it worth to bring https://www.wowhead.com/spell=316717/flash-of-insight , for instance, or will the corrupted effect be useless?

Secondary stats are just better, so there's no reason to put a main stat gem in when the secondary stats are more valuable. Int/Agi/Str add damage or healing, but Versatility adds damage/healing and also reduces damage taken, and for some specs Mastery is incredibly effective too (though Versatility is usually best for PvP).

The corrupted effect on that will still work, but it has less value than pieces with +Versatility or Gushing Wounds. So it's still fine to use, but it isn't worth the corruption unless it's all you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Secondary stats are just better, so there's no reason to put a main stat gem in when the secondary stats are more valuable. Int/Agi/Str add damage or healing, but Versatility adds damage/healing and also reduces damage taken, and for some specs Mastery is incredibly effective too (though Versatility is usually best for PvP).

The corrupted effect on that will still work, but it has less value than pieces with +Versatility or Gushing Wounds. So it's still fine to use, but it isn't worth the corruption unless it's all you have.
    What do you think of my theory about critical strike?

In my stupid opinion there is a certain "threshold" with crit that when surpassed...its the best secondary stat to have.

For example...improving your crit from 15% to 25% is not very noticeable in DPS meters.
    BUT
    Increasing your crit from 35% to 50%....things start getting insane in DPS meters.

I dont know exactly what is the "threshold" that when surpassed it starts getting insane...maybe....45-50%?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    What do you think of my theory about critical strike?

In my stupid opinion there is a certain "threshold" with crit that when surpassed...its the best secondary stat to have.

For example...improving your crit from 15% to 25% is not very noticeable in DPS meters.
    BUT
    Increasing your crit from 35% to 50%....things start getting insane in DPS meters.

I dont know exactly what is the "threshold" that when surpassed it starts getting insane...maybe....45-50%?
    In PvP? No. Crit is cut in half in PvP which is why no class stacks it.

In PvE I think it depends on the class, but I'd wager it's never worth giving up a large amount of other secondary stats, at the very least most classes will need a certain amount of Haste or Mastery for the class to feel "right".

Thank you for shedding some light! I was really curious about all that.

In PvP? No. Crit is cut in half in PvP which is why no class stacks it.

In PvE I think it depends on the class, but I'd wager it's never worth giving up a large amount of other secondary stats, at the very least most classes will need a certain amount of Haste or Mastery for the class to feel "right".
    depends what kind of pvp.

i saw a rogue dominating the enterity of a bg with most kills done and highest dmg - that rogue had only crit as a stat stacked, gear, gems, sockets even corruption effects with crit.

somehow, even though its nerfed in pvp, it payed off - but of course it was in an environment without dedicated glad healers and random.

That was the exception, every other time i see a caster dominating the charts and melees left behind, strange, that the only melee that dominated the chart so brutally stacked crit like an insane.

(he did not receive any healing or support btw)
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2020-04-15 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannica View Post
    i saw a rogue dominating the enterity of a bg with most kills done and highest dmg - that rogue had only crit as a stat stacked, gear, gems, sockets even corruption effects with crit.
    He was stacking crit because it's the best stat for PvE and he just didn't have two sets of gear, I can assure you. Nobody would purposely stack Crit over Versatility on a Rogue especially for PvP. He was likely just like 470 ilvl in a BG full of 430ilvl and could use the berserker buff all game without any risk of dying because of his gear.

Besides melee kind of wreck in BGs, if I go in with my DH or Rogue I'll always top meters, unless my DK friend is with me then he usually beats me by a bit.

He was stacking crit because it's the best stat for PvE and he just didn't have two sets of gear, I can assure you. Nobody would purposely stack Crit over Versatility on a Rogue especially for PvP. He was likely just like 470 ilvl in a BG full of 430ilvl and could use the berserker buff all game without any risk of dying because of his gear.

Besides melee kind of wreck in BGs, if I go in with my DH or Rogue I'll always top meters, unless my DK friend is with me then he usually beats me by a bit.
    No, he was a rbg veteran with high pvp ranks, tons of honor, and did stack crit on purpose for this. he had over 20 kills in eyes of storms, the highest damage and we had well geared mages and locks, too, that were close behind him.

I bet not that much is explored right now what all can be done with right sets of crit corruptions that increase its % dmg value, but we know from arena, what is possible with breath of death and burst trinkets alone that stuff allready 1 shots people, imagine a guy stacking crit with crit corruption, too with perfectly executed openers.

With this kinda meta on gear, beserker buff as well as low geared players are not playing a role anymore. A well configured gear set with high ilvl will 1 shot anyone. Just watch an arena stream of some high rated rogue. Its happening and blizz unpruned crit by corruption modifiers.

I'd say its a nice tactic, if you are playing a class that can drop combat at will.