Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Unfortunately i dont know how those programs interact with GPUs and GPU performance.

  2. #22
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzyswiftz View Post
    jeez i’m so torn now as far as waiting for the new gen cards goes. i’ll be mostly using this build for solid works. and cnc design. will the 5700xt as is. meet my needs? also. i’m going to start looking for an asus large 24”+ monitor tomorrow to support my work station needs and link it here before I pull the trigger.
    it’s going to be interesting at this point
    Solid works seems to use CUDA, so you'd want to get an Nvidia GPU, but I'm not sure on how VRAM intensive it is. A 2060 super is probably a decent bet instead of the 5700xt though if you use solid works a lot. Downside is it performs worse in gaming by ~10-15%

  3. #23
    You will need to update the BIOS for that CPU to work in that motherboard.

    - - - Updated - - -

    PCPartPicker Part List

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($167.00 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Helix-L 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB CHALLENGER D OC Video Card ($366.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($67.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $976.91
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-31 15:42 EDT-0400



    What about this?

    An M.2 drive to house your OS + Maybe WOW + your other apps.

    A 1TB mechanical drive for other storage.

  4. #24
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Oceanside
    Posts
    53
    Hey guys, sorry to re bump this thread.

    I tried to hold off on building a PC until new gen shtuff came out but i cant, my laptop caught on fire yesterday and i need to be able to use solidworks and photoshop without my screen blurring or my laptop dying in now, 15m maximum without external power. My question is, ive recieved a lot of build advice, different setups etc. Id like to narrow this down to the best that i can get with peripherals for 1100 USD. MAXIMUM with a micro motherboard build(this seems to be the most space efficient)

    I understand the next gen is right around the corner, but it looks like due to my needs, that ill be a gen behind. Thank you again everyone for all of your support. But i just cant wait anymore and going through this thread. I just see so many different updates to the build suggested and have no idea where to start as of TODAY to get what i need/where i need to go. within my budget. = ] you guys are the best. Help a brother ooot. xD

    - - - Updated - - -

    So for this build, the 5700XT will probably not suit my needs.I use solid works often, and torchmate 2D for plasma CNC printing. Currently im using photoshop extensively as part of my welding and manufacturing degree. will this change what i need to buy?
    @tempname. youre the real MVP and i appreciate your patience. Im sure my rookie questions at this point are annoying. Im able to adequately build my PC but part advice for my needs is where you guys come in. Thank you again for your help.

    - - - Updated - - -

    As for peripherals. what would you suggest? as far as today June 20, is this still an accurate build for my needs with solidworks and CNC?+Photoshop? What can i expect to lose in the next gen? should i adjust for that with my GPU as previously mentioned? whatre your thoughts!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Unfortunately, since i dont seem to have any peripheral that is adequate for my needs, that ill need to buy one. Which is fine. I currently have a mouse and will choose a keyboard seperately. Id like a mechanical one thats adequately priced and if it falls outside of my 1100$ budget that is fine. Id like to be able to have high resolution at 144hz with this build if possible. any suggestions or corrections are super welcome. Again id rather be corrected, than assume im right!

  5. #25
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzyswiftz View Post
    Hey guys, sorry to re bump this thread.

    I tried to hold off on building a PC until new gen shtuff came out but i cant, my laptop caught on fire yesterday and i need to be able to use solidworks and photoshop without my screen blurring or my laptop dying in now, 15m maximum without external power. My question is, ive recieved a lot of build advice, different setups etc. Id like to narrow this down to the best that i can get with peripherals for 1100 USD. MAXIMUM with a micro motherboard build(this seems to be the most space efficient)

    I understand the next gen is right around the corner, but it looks like due to my needs, that ill be a gen behind. Thank you again everyone for all of your support. But i just cant wait anymore and going through this thread. I just see so many different updates to the build suggested and have no idea where to start as of TODAY to get what i need/where i need to go. within my budget. = ] you guys are the best. Help a brother ooot. xD

    - - - Updated - - -

    So for this build, the 5700XT will probably not suit my needs.I use solid works often, and torchmate 2D for plasma CNC printing. Currently im using photoshop extensively as part of my welding and manufacturing degree. will this change what i need to buy?
    @tempname. youre the real MVP and i appreciate your patience. Im sure my rookie questions at this point are annoying. Im able to adequately build my PC but part advice for my needs is where you guys come in. Thank you again for your help.

    - - - Updated - - -

    As for peripherals. what would you suggest? as far as today June 20, is this still an accurate build for my needs with solidworks and CNC?+Photoshop? What can i expect to lose in the next gen? should i adjust for that with my GPU as previously mentioned? whatre your thoughts!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Unfortunately, since i dont seem to have any peripheral that is adequate for my needs, that ill need to buy one. Which is fine. I currently have a mouse and will choose a keyboard seperately. Id like a mechanical one thats adequately priced and if it falls outside of my 1100$ budget that is fine. Id like to be able to have high resolution at 144hz with this build if possible. any suggestions or corrections are super welcome. Again id rather be corrected, than assume im right!
    I'm not sure what build you're referring to, specifically.. This one? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3xYdtp

    I'm not familiar enough with torchmate, how ever both solidworks and Photoshop (and the rest of Adobe's lineup) benefit from CUDA acceleration, so I'd at least replace the GPU with an Nvidia one. So that'd be a 2060 super for price parity but worse performance, or 2070 super if you don't want to drop performance, but step up the price. (The 2060 super zotac mini seems to be in stock at 399. For 2070's, the gigabyte windforce oc 3x at 499 seems to also be in stock. Both cards are decent)

    As for what you'll lose over going with the next generation.. They are looking to be somewhere between 10 and 50% performance uptick across the board, depending on which leaks you look at and how optimized they are. I'm expecting ~20% personally, but I'm never super optimistic with regards to leaks

    You say you want a high resolution 144hz monitor, Are you set on that, or is 1080p fine? Because at 1440p you're looking at ~400 dollars if you don't want something completely garbage (or ~300 if you do), but you can get something fine at 1080p for ~200. Either way you'll go over your budget. MSI's optix line is generally "fine", but you can get the same panels in other monitors slightly cheaper if you look around, but I'm not super into monitors, I just pick something that works fine based on reviews. I'm currently rocking the AOC CQ27G2U and Q27G2U/BK, which are.. Fine. They ghost a bit, but not enough to really be noticeable in games. That said, they're ~390 dollars

    Also the case in the build I linked seems to have gone out of stock, so you'll need another one, maybe look into the ThermalTake Versa H18, it's reasonably well ventilated. Or if that fails, then anything with a reasonably open front panel so you can still get air in.

    Another thing you may want to think about, is getting 32gb of RAM. It might help if you have some very detailed (and large) models you're working on in solidworks, but that can be pushed back.

    So TLDR, this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jMPrgJ

    As for peripherals, I'm not familiar enough with cheap keyboards, to really suggest something, but the switches themselves are all fine. Find a type you like and go with that. I personally prefer MX browns or similar, I really like the tactile feel
    Last edited by Temp name; 2020-06-21 at 06:33 AM.

  6. #26
    Pit Lord msdos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,466
    For keyboard nothing will beat Lenovo Preferred Pro II, 21$. Anything else is extra and gimmicky bullcrap you don't need if you're trying to squeeze for a nice monitor.

    Imo, when it comes to setups:
    Monitor >
    PSU >
    GPU >
    CPU >
    Your monitor strength dictates what graphics you need for the most part, which then tells you the quality of power you will need to push to that card, which then tells you how much computing power you need to fully push that GPU, then after all that is said and done you know how much cooling you need. It's all very purposefully connected. I didn't actually read this whole thread, but this might be for a work station, in which case the priority changes, CPU and RAM edging out monitor and GPU, depending on type of work!

  7. #27
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,528
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    For keyboard nothing will beat Lenovo Preferred Pro II, 21$. Anything else is extra and gimmicky bullcrap you don't need if you're trying to squeeze for a nice monitor.
    Disagree, it's rubber-domed switches, not mechanical ones. They feel mushy to me. You can get a decent mechanical board for ~40 dollars, and it's well worth the extra money if you are going to be typing on it for a long time.

    Imo, when it comes to setups:
    Monitor >
    PSU >
    GPU >
    CPU >
    Your monitor strength dictates what graphics you need for the most part, which then tells you the quality of power you will need to push to that card, which then tells you how much computing power you need to fully push that GPU, then after all that is said and done you know how much cooling you need. It's all very purposefully connected. I didn't actually read this whole thread, but this might be for a work station, in which case the priority changes, CPU and RAM edging out monitor and GPU, depending on type of work!
    Again, disagree. Monitor is a secondary concern unless you have very specific needs (like it needing to be incredibly colour accurate). CPU and GPU are both far more important. Hell, even PSU is largely irrelevant as long as you don't get a bargain-basement tier model.

  8. #28
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Oceanside
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I'm not sure what build you're referring to, specifically.. This one? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3xYdtp

    I'm not familiar enough with torchmate, how ever both solidworks and Photoshop (and the rest of Adobe's lineup) benefit from CUDA acceleration, so I'd at least replace the GPU with an Nvidia one. So that'd be a 2060 super for price parity but worse performance, or 2070 super if you don't want to drop performance, but step up the price. (The 2060 super zotac mini seems to be in stock at 399. For 2070's, the gigabyte windforce oc 3x at 499 seems to also be in stock. Both cards are decent)

    As for what you'll lose over going with the next generation.. They are looking to be somewhere between 10 and 50% performance uptick across the board, depending on which leaks you look at and how optimized they are. I'm expecting ~20% personally, but I'm never super optimistic with regards to leaks

    You say you want a high resolution 144hz monitor, Are you set on that, or is 1080p fine? Because at 1440p you're looking at ~400 dollars if you don't want something completely garbage (or ~300 if you do), but you can get something fine at 1080p for ~200. Either way you'll go over your budget. MSI's optix line is generally "fine", but you can get the same panels in other monitors slightly cheaper if you look around, but I'm not super into monitors, I just pick something that works fine based on reviews. I'm currently rocking the AOC CQ27G2U and Q27G2U/BK, which are.. Fine. They ghost a bit, but not enough to really be noticeable in games. That said, they're ~390 dollars

    Also the case in the build I linked seems to have gone out of stock, so you'll need another one, maybe look into the ThermalTake Versa H18, it's reasonably well ventilated. Or if that fails, then anything with a reasonably open front panel so you can still get air in.

    Another thing you may want to think about, is getting 32gb of RAM. It might help if you have some very detailed (and large) models you're working on in solidworks, but that can be pushed back.

    So TLDR, this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jMPrgJ

    As for peripherals, I'm not familiar enough with cheap keyboards, to really suggest something, but the switches themselves are all fine. Find a type you like and go with that. I personally prefer MX browns or similar, I really like the tactile feel


    Im currently waiting for the previous case to be back in stock I really need to make a micro build. I have a question, would it be possible to "hold out" for the next gen GPU's with a b450 mobo and say a "lesser" graphics card? as in id get a lesser nvidia card to meet my needs currently with the intent on upgrading to the next gen? how would i go about this? at this point my laptop is NOT stable its a MSI GE72VR Apache Pro 17" and its just crashing. im trying to do the best i can without crippling myself for the next gen since i need to build -now- or college is gonna get way lamer this semester. Thoughts? is this even possible? also thank you for the supplied build again @tempname i really appreciate your patience with me. Im a welder by trade and always cautious with anything that i build. Plan twice build once. all that fun nonsense xD

  9. #29
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzyswiftz View Post
    Im currently waiting for the previous case to be back in stock I really need to make a micro build. I have a question, would it be possible to "hold out" for the next gen GPU's with a b450 mobo and say a "lesser" graphics card? as in id get a lesser nvidia card to meet my needs currently with the intent on upgrading to the next gen? how would i go about this? at this point my laptop is NOT stable its a MSI GE72VR Apache Pro 17" and its just crashing. im trying to do the best i can without crippling myself for the next gen since i need to build -now- or college is gonna get way lamer this semester. Thoughts? is this even possible? also thank you for the supplied build again @tempname i really appreciate your patience with me. Im a welder by trade and always cautious with anything that i build. Plan twice build once. all that fun nonsense xD
    If you want to wait for the next gen with a lesser GPU, just find the cheapest one that fits your needs (So a 1650 or 1030 or something), and then try your best not to rip out your hair in frustration. You can also check the used market if you can find something there for cheaper, just make sure you can see it in use before buying it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •