Thread: Please don't...

Please don't...

Please don't give us another "Your team mate died here's some damage" mechanic, please please please please please...

But... that's the RETRIBUTION. Isn't it?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    But... that's the RETRIBUTION. Isn't it?
    You can do Retribution by just having the team member hurt, rather than killed.

Quote Originally Posted by ScatteredBWL View Post
    Please don't give us another "Your teammate died here's some damage" mechanic, please please please please please...
    you know they will because it's that spec fantasy of the avenging paladin..

It's unique flavor, who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by ninthbelief View Post
    It's unique flavor, who cares?
    Because then ret's damage is balanced around someone dying every 45 seconds or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's alpha so giving feedback is the best thing to do. If this is the fantasy they want ret to have then they should take notes from the PvP talent ultimate retribution.

"When an ally within 40 yards falls below 25% health, you gain Avenging Wrath for 6 sec."

HP percentage and avenging wrath duration could be adjusted, but nobody has to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    you know they will because it's that spec fantasy of the avenging paladin..
    We are Paladins first, our spec second, and a Paladin should never be benefiting from the death of an ally.

"avenging" can be just to injury... For instance, it could trigger from an ally simply dropping below 25% HP (with an internal cooldown to prevent abuse), instead of death.

However, it also makes the aura all but worthless in solo content, and worthless in group content unless more useful auras are being covered by other Paladins (no group would want you using Ret for yourself when you could be giving Devotion to the whole group)... WHich brings up another point, if it's an aura that doesn't effect anyone but the Paladin, it's not really an aura, is it?

We'd be better off with them simply scrapping the concept of this type of mechanic entirely and replacing it with something more befitting to a Paladin, because this nonsense does not fit our class fantasy... This kind of mechanic belongs on Warlocks and Death Knights.

Edit: the timing, both suggest the same thing with the same HP% example at the same time lol
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2020-04-16 at 10:47 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Didn't blizz state back in Legion that ret's damage wasn't balanced around the death buff effect?

More to the point, a paladin character should never be at odds with using their toolkit. The character is stronger if they don't BoP, don't LoH, don't use selfless healer, don't use word of glory, don't sac, etc because there's an increased chance they'll get wings because their lack of action let someone die. Overall the group is stronger yes, but then you're saying by using those abilities you're preventing a passive perk. Worst of all, why is it an aura if it does nothing for your allies? That's still just a passive, one you have to now sacrifice to get an aura for an ally. Don't think for a second that holy/ret especially won't be balanced around the assumption that it'll be up for a certain % of every fight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    Didn't blizz state back in Legion that ret's damage wasn't balanced around the death buff effect?
    They said it, but they didn't actually act on that statement and very much did balance around it because later they said "it's part of your toolkit" which is why so many ret's hated it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    They can tell us whatever they want, doesn't mean it's true... Not like Blizzard has never lied to us in the past. I honestly can't believe they'd give a class an effect that strong and not consider it when balancing them.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

I don't like the retribution passive at all and rather like it gone, but at this point it's clear they got a hard-on for it so it is going to stay.
    What boggles my mind is that they are going to turn it into an aura. Auras should be beneficial effects for all group members affected by it and not only the paladin(s).

Always fun to thank people who die in your raid from a mistake. "You did that wrong but cheers for the buff, mate!".

That aside, do not like it because it is not powerful enough. If someone died, my damage as a ret paladin against the killer should doubble or even tripple for a short while, like 5 sec from the first ability you do to the killer. Would be imbalanced and abjused but you get my point.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Just wanna say that i totally get the OP.

This is not really a cool mechanic to play around.
    A much cooler mechanic would be gaining a damage bonus from healing a low hp ally.

Something that you, yourself, can actively play around.

This also tabs into the supportish nature of the paladin

I'm saying this as a dk player so i have no real stake in it.

Having played Ret since the first week of Burning Crusade with only brief trips into protection and never playing holy I can't really speak too much on the other two.

I can say that Legion ret was fun, but this same die move mechanic was horrific, it's worse now because it was nerfed and is still considered "part of our kit" and truthfully it just isn't. It's such nonsense to have a mechanic that could decide your place in the damage race to be from a party member dying. At the end of the day, it's completely silly.

So I'll ask again, please, please don't give us this mechanic, hell remove it entirely, don't feel like you have to put it in an aura form so we can keep our "beloved" passive, it's not beloved, just get rid of it in Shadowlands and let's not worry about it anymore.

Give us the Sanctity aura back if you're going to give us an "aura" that really only benefits ret, give us something that increases Haste or some other stat that will benefit the raid as a whole. Or like posted above, if someone within that 40 yrd radius falls below a certain percentage you gain avenging wrath and the aura has a "cooldown" so it's not just chain proccing avenging wrath, it would make flavor sense, your "avenging paladin" seeing your party member hurt and flying into a rage type deal sure, but pleeeeeeeeease don't make it an on death mechanic, I'm legit begging you.