10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    The margins aren't going to be close. Those lawsuits are just expensive tweets and won't change anything.
    A) You're going on "if this trend continues". Nothing about this is normal. I don't trust "this trend" to continue.

B) I don't have faith in your statement about the lawsuits. Nobody wants to be the judge who denies an appeal, and once Trump's hand-picked SCOTUS judges decide, there's no challenging that.

This is 2020, and this is Trump. Since when is hope on the menu?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Even if it does go to recount territory, if what I heard on MSNBC is right, recounts usually don't change the results of an election unless the margin was within 1000 votes.
    That's what I saw across the board as well. Most elections are done with care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Yes, if he remains under 50%.
    Does it work like Maine's ranked choice or something?
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    A) You're going on "if this trend continues". Nothing about this is normal. I don't trust "this trend" to continue.

B) I don't have faith in your statement about the lawsuits. Nobody wants to be the judge who denies an appeal, and once Trump's hand-picked SCOTUS judges decide, there's no challenging that.

This is 2020, and this is Trump. Since when is hope on the menu?

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I saw across the board as well. Most elections are done with care.
    ACB and Kavanaugh are really the only judges on the Supreme Court we have to be worried about, but the Supreme Court still has to agree to take up a case. They will be very, very cautious about that. It's clear to all what Trump is trying to do here. The Supreme Court won't want to have any part of this unless the claims being raised are much, much more fleshed out.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    What exactly does 'runoff' mean?
    The runoff would only be for the Senate seats up for election (both, in this case). GA law states that in a general election for Senate, if one candidate does not receive 50%+1 of the vote, it goes to a special run off election.

The Perdue/Ossoff contest looks like it will go that way. The other special election will definitely be a runoff. That special election will be in January of 2021, in time to seat the winner for the 2021 Congress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by passingthrew View Post
    What happened?
    It looks like they shifted the % of counted votes, without changing the vote count. Meaning the turn out is less than anticipated.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Like sudden death. Vote again, winner takes all.

Some expectation now that any runoffs will favor Democrats if Trump loses because Republican voters will be demoralized.
    Why does his loss demoralize them? Shouldn't Trump losing make it even more important to hold power in the senate?

10+ Year Old Account

Some expectation now that any runoffs will favor Democrats if Trump loses because Republican voters will be demoralized.
    Eh I could see that hypothetical going both ways.

If trump loses, republicans might also be impassioned to go out and vote to try and “limit Biden’s power,” while Democrat voters might be lulled into a false sense of security by a Biden win.

But personally, I’m not worried about that stuff at all right now. Waiting for these cagey states to finish counting their votes.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Plus, with there just being two candidates, hopefully the Dem can pick up the third party support

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamushi View Post
    Why does his loss demoralize them? Shouldn't Trump losing make it even more important to hold power in the senate?
    Because like Trump his cult don’t believe in hard work no matter how much they scream it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Run off in elections is basically multiple people are running and if 50% isn't reached by any candidate the top two go head to head to make sure someone has at least half the vote supporting them.
    Thanks. To expand on my question: Do politicians apply to a specific seat? If I understand it right, Georgia has its two seats up for election. If I wanted to become Senator, would I have to pick for which seat I run? If not, since 2 seats are up for grabs, who goes on the ballot? The top 3 contenders? Or is it simply the top 2 for each seat?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Plus, with there just being two candidates, hopefully the Dem can pick up the third party support
    That would be ideal. But the GOP will be running their usual rat fuckery, as they did with Abrams loss.

Georgia down under 3500 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamushi View Post
    To the actual Republicans, yes. To Yall Queda, it was all about their cult leader, without him, they don't care about it near as much. The down ballots were just icing on the cake for the Republicans.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Thanks. To expand on my question: Do politicians apply to a specific seat? If I understand it right, Georgia has its two seats up for election. If I wanted to become Senator, would I have to pick for which seat I run? If not, since 2 seats are up for grabs, who goes on the ballot? The top 3 contenders? Or is it simply the top 2 for each seat?
    I think there were two senatorial elections going on simultaneously with different candidates. I'm not 100% sure if so they didn't overlap with each other.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    The two seats are separate elections - so Perdue vs Ossoff will be one. But neither is eligible for the other seat in the runoff.

It's very unusual - usually just one Senate seat is up during an election.

Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz541 View Post
    Quite a few people in this thread (most of them have moved on but a few remain) seem to embody this ol' classic. I don't wanna name names, but you know who you are.
    Nah they haven't moved on. Shit fuckers. I also will not name names.

Trump picked up another decent chunk of votes in Arizona. He's averaging 61% and needs %57.

Edit: More votes reported. He is now averaging 66%.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    I think there were two senatorial elections going on simultaneously with different candidates. I'm not 100% sure if so they didn't overlap with each other.
    You are correct - they do not overlap, even though they will be held at the same time (which is very unusual).

Man, not even the New York Post is backing Trumps wild fraud claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    To the actual Republicans, yes. To Yall Queda, it was all about their cult leader, without him, they don't care about it near as much. The down ballots were just icing on the cake for the Republicans.
    Ok that makes sense then. Basically they are behind Trump instead of GOP.