1. #32201
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    65,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    The VP can't even address the floor without the consent of the Senate. The presiding officer (whoever is running proceedings on any given day) has to recognize them and allow them to take the floor.

    I think they should have more power in the Senate, but currently, they don't.
    To be fair to the system, it's meant to be three distinct and separate branches of government. The VP is part of the Executive. Their power over the Legislative (or Judicial, for that matter) should be next to nil.

    Otherwise, you're putting way more power in the hands of the Executive, and then they basically are the government, and the other two branches work for the Executive's interests.

  2. #32202
    Merely a Setback Sunseeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    26,347
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    No No No, it was Trump who made it clear before he was even elected that he was the President of Some of the United States.
    At no point in the last 5 or so years has candidate Trump, president elect Trump or President Trump changed his behaviour and he made it clear that he wasn't going to act "presidential".
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Well, that is true to an extent. The problem was is that Trump actively attacked or went out of his way to hinder any person/politician/state that voted against him in any way. He was the president of the USA, the problem being was is that, in his mind, he was president of only the part of the USA that agreed with him. The rest be damned.

    There is one thing to not vote for the interests of someone else, which is always going to be the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by passingthrew View Post
    I get what you're saying, but Trump was literally threatening blue states.
    Again, acting improperly while in office doesn't make him not your President. Being an overall a-hole in office doesn't make him not your President. It just makes him a bad President. Whatever he thinks of himself doesn't make that truth. If he really wasn't your President, your votes would have gotten him out of office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    "That's my style; I like to kick 'em when they're down!"
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  3. #32203
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    65,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    I said in the past if trump loses you'll see a lot of "I'll never liked trump" bandwagon people. it's just like when you're in elementary school and any sports team would win the major championship. Some of the kids would go and decked out in their clothes the next day. They're basically the equivalent of that.
    Also, beware the "I never actually supported Trump, go through my post history and you'll see I never came right out overtly and stated that outright. No, you're not allowed to use deductive and inductive reasoning to figure out my stance based on how everything I posted supported the Trump administration and attacked Democrats, that's unfair!"

    Definitely seen at least a couple of those, already.

  4. #32204
    Merely a Setback Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    29,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Also, beware the "I never actually supported Trump"
    That's the "I don't support Trump, but isn't everything he does the best bestiest best ever?" people, right?

  5. #32205
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    What else did I miss?
    Posted this in the other thread but it belongs here too.

    Trump said that there would be a press conference for his lawyers at the Four Seasons.

    Turns out it wasn't the Four Seasons hotel, but the Four Seasons Landscaping firm. Conveniently located next to an adult bookstore. A reporter on the scene says they had to move landscaping equipment aside to set up.

  6. #32206
    Can't wait to hear Trump's concession speech.

    "You cannot take this away from me, waaaah you cheated waaaaah"

  7. #32207
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    65,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    That's the "I don't support Trump, but isn't everything he does the best bestiest best ever?" people, right?
    Combined with "Biden is the neolibbiest neolib and I'm super progressive so that's why I'd never vote for Biden".

    Once you see the same account making those two kinds of arguments, you know they're bullshitting you.

  8. #32208
    Merely a Setback Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    29,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Turns out it wasn't the Four Seasons hotel, but the Four Seasons Landscaping firm..
    Indeed, their recent reviews are hilarious. Most are predictably either "why do this?" or "best platform for manure" One "they eat babies" which I think was a little much. Then there's this one:

    I called to get a quote on repairing a hole in our lawn. The man who answered the phone was speaking Russian and all I heard in the background was a lot of loud sobbing. So much crying. Big tears. Huge.
    What we're seeing here is Cancel Culture, also known as "Capitalism". It is not being done by the government, or the media. It's being done by people making sure that your actions have consequences for your wallet.

  9. #32209
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    65,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Posted this in the other thread but it belongs here too.

    Trump said that there would be a press conference for his lawyers at the Four Seasons.

    Turns out it wasn't the Four Seasons hotel, but the Four Seasons Landscaping firm. Conveniently located next to an adult bookstore. A reporter on the scene says they had to move landscaping equipment aside to set up.
    Like, you know Giuliani just looked up "Four seasons" in the Yellow Pages (Google? You think he knows what Google is?) and called the first number that came up, without checking it.

  10. #32210
    Banned Saninicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Iron city of Dis
    Posts
    6,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Also, beware the "I never actually supported Trump, go through my post history and you'll see I never came right out overtly and stated that outright. No, you're not allowed to use deductive and inductive reasoning to figure out my stance based on how everything I posted supported the Trump administration and attacked Democrats, that's unfair!"

    Definitely seen at least a couple of those, already.
    I've been clear on my stance. While I don't walk lockstep with the left on some issues. I've never hid my distain for trump. If anything it was cemented during his anti-science tirade(s) during the pandemic. Really trump's whole legecy is division and an unpopular tax bill.

  11. #32211
    Merely a Setback Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    29,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Like, you know Giuliani just looked up "Four seasons" in the Yellow Pages (Google? You think he knows what Google is?) and called the first number that came up, without checking it.
    But they both still said yes!

  12. #32212
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Like, you know Giuliani just looked up "Four seasons" in the Yellow Pages (Google? You think he knows what Google is?) and called the first number that came up, without checking it.
    I'm sure he used Yahoo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

  13. #32213
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...x-postelex.cnn

    So apparently Trump was out golfing when the election was called for Biden?

    That's like, the most fitting end to the election possible.

  14. #32214
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I'm just going to assume that's a joke and not really where he had his conference? Or...did I miss it? Fuck where's my covfefe
    Its where he was planning the morning one, like right before Pennsylvania was called. Of course after it was Trump didn't bother showing up, he sent out Giuliani instead to yell conspiracies at reporters and tell everyone Trump won't concede.

  15. #32215
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    The VP can't even address the floor without the consent of the Senate. The presiding officer (whoever is running proceedings on any given day) has to recognize them and allow them to take the floor.
    So, there's actually a difference between "addressing the senate" and what we're talking about. Have you ever gone to a meeting that employed robert's rules? I'm assuming you have (the senate, obviously, doesn't, but the concept is similar). The guy that adjudicates all the nonsense about points of order is the presiding officer. They're not formally addressing the meeting when making those decisions.

    The senate is seriously a body that lacks a ton of formal rules. They're not like the house. And yeah, the vice president is the guy who formally has the job of presiding officer (though they can also delegate that authority IIRC). Here's a link that talks a bit about the powers of the majority leader derived from right of first recognition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

  16. #32216
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Both Nevada and Pen flipped... glorious... 290 without GA... Trump needs to sue at least 2 states... ass hole...

    Oh and I just had the best talk with my dad since he became a Trump supporter. He called me after the win... that’s how I found out... Fuck you Trump!!!!!!
    Funny enough, it was the same for me. My father called while I was asleep, and that's how I found out. Though differently my dad and me have been shitting on trump together for over 5 years now.

  17. #32217
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Indeed, their recent reviews are hilarious. Most are predictably either "why do this?" or "best platform for manure" One "they eat babies" which I think was a little much. Then there's this one:



    What we're seeing here is Cancel Culture, also known as "Capitalism". It is not being done by the government, or the media. It's being done by people making sure that your actions have consequences for your wallet.
    My wife laughed for a good solid ten minutes. And she keeps finding new quotes or pictures from the event and it sets her off again. It's probably the first time either of us has had a decent laugh this past week and the floodgates have opened.

  18. #32218
    Merely a Setback Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    29,843
    Quote Originally Posted by For_The_Horde View Post
    Its where he was planning the morning one, like right before Pennsylvania was called. Of course after it was Trump didn't bother showing up, he sent out Giuliani instead to yell conspiracies at reporters and tell everyone Trump won't concede.
    He sent Giuliani...to a landfill.

    (inhales)

    (exhales)

    Okay. Sounds about right.

  19. #32219
    Stood in the Fire Rommon64's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    395
    Wiping is Fun! ™

  20. #32220
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Like, you know Giuliani just looked up "Four seasons" in the Yellow Pages (Google? You think he knows what Google is?) and called the first number that came up, without checking it.
    Well, again, as I said in the other thread, it's conveniently located next to an adult bookstore so Giuliani has somewhere to fish in his pants.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •