Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Have we talked about this yet?

Fake electors try to deliver Arizona's 11 votes for Trump

Not just them, either. But they had forged documents and everything.

Oh man, let them have signed a notarized document that is itself evidence of a federal crime.
    I hope they realize that impersonating an election official is fucking illegal. I hope they fucking get prosecuted.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I continue to fully support this. Every incoming Rep. that signed on, regardless of party, should not be seated.

Governor's can appoint temporary Reps. in their place while the states host special elections. The previous Reps. can run again in 2 years (or longer if they're in the Senate), but they lose out on this session of Congress.
    The provision that would be used to prevent them from being seated would prevent them from EVER being seated. They wouldn't be able to run again. There's no constitutional justification for them to only be removed for this election cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    The provision that would be used to prevent them from being seated would prevent them from EVER being seated. They wouldn't be able to run again. There's no constitutional justification for them to only be removed for this election cycle.
    I still have no problems with that. But I'm willing to give them a mulligan.

I still have no problems with that. But I'm willing to give them a mulligan.
    Unfortunately, the problem is there's no constitutional mechanism to give them a mulligan. Either they're seated because they won their elections, or they're not by invoking the 14th Amendment which also prevents them from ever running again.

The only real alternative would be to seat them and then immediately remove them via a 2/3 vote in their respective chambers.

So first Biden won the popular vote and secured the most EC votes on election night. Then we watched him win all the recounts. Then all those lawsuits got tossed out, and finally we have this EC vote confirmation. Is this what Trump meant when he said we would get tired of winning?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    So first Biden won the popular vote and secured the most EC votes on election night. Then we watched him win all the recounts. Then all those lawsuits got tossed out, and finally we have this EC vote confirmation. Is this what Trump meant when he said we would get tired of winning?
    No, there is more coming...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    No, there is more coming...
    I read an article that I can not find anymore that said he already did 50 lawsuits. Honestly, Trump just needs to plan for a 2024 run if anything. The problem is I think that the GOP will not nominate him again. Trump will run as an independent 3rd party or some party he makes up and grab votes away from the GOP. Basically then handing the election to the Democrats.

I continue to fully support this. Every incoming Rep. that signed on, regardless of party, should not be seated.

Governor's can appoint temporary Reps. in their place while the states host special elections. The previous Reps. can run again in 2 years (or longer if they're in the Senate), but they lose out on this session of Congress.
    Nope if they aren't seated they can't ever run again. That's what the constitution states. BUT as you said they would just have special elections in those 126 districts, and it would just be another warm body for the GOP, who hopefully aren't seditious as the people they are replacing, but probably are. Although it wouldn't be exactly 126, as some of them are being replaced by other GOP warm bodies since a few of them are retiring. Haven't looked at the whole 126 to verify but at a quick glance at least Mike Conaway signed but he is already being replaced as is.

But the roughly 126 but slightly less, lose the cushy jobs they can never get again, and fuck em, examples need to be made or otherwise this won't stop it from happening in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I read an article that I can not find anymore that said he already did 50 lawsuits. Honestly, Trump just needs to plan for a 2024 run if anything. The problem is I think that the GOP will not nominate him again. Trump will run as an independent 3rd party or some party he makes up and grab votes away from the GOP. Basically then handing the election to the Democrats.
    He'll run as a Republican again. They can't really stop him.

10+ Year Old Account
    We can only hope.

If Trump is acting a spoiler in 2024, though, I expect more that the GOP would go to him saying "Look, we'll give you a buttload of money and waive away as many of your legal problems as we can if you'll just shut up and endorse our candidate instead."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

i do find the lack of control parties have over candidates insane and how vulnerable to entryism they are

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fairly certain that the GOP can run their party, internally, as they want to, so long as it doesn't run afoul of federal law. They don't "have" to give Trump a spot or nomination, and if they internally have a rule saying they have to honor all comers they can just change that as I'm fairly certain no federal law holds that as a necessity either.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    We can only hope.

If Trump is acting a spoiler in 2024, though, I expect more that the GOP would go to him saying "Look, we'll give you a buttload of money and waive away as many of your legal problems as we can if you'll just shut up and endorse our candidate instead."
    4 years is a long time for an old man, hes going to look even more like a dying ghoul.

This is what's so fucked up about it, and it's negatively effects both sides. the political machine doesn't stop. There are people in the GoP who are eyeing 2024, and need to start like now, but are hampered by trump not conceding. Nobody can run any sort of canvassing or feelers to see if they have an actual shot in 2024. They don't even know if trump is gonna run in 2024. It's effectively grinded the RNC, at least at the very top of the ticket, to a complete stop. Which is really bad for them. It also negatively effects the DNC who want to start oppo research against any potential runners etc. What trump is doing now, like, it boggles my mind that the RNC think this is good at all for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    This is what's so fucked up about it, and it's negatively effects both sides. the political machine doesn't stop. There are people in the GoP who are eyeing 2024, and need to start like now, but are hampered by trump not conceding. Nobody can run any sort of canvassing or feelers to see if they have an actual shot in 2024. They don't even know if trump is gonna run in 2024. It's effectively grinded the RNC, at least at the very top of the ticket, to a complete stop. Which is really bad for them. It also negatively effects the DNC who want to start oppo research against any potential runners etc. What trump is doing now, like, it boggles my mind that the RNC think this is good at all for them.
    I have strong doubts the RNC thinks their ties to Trump and his current actions is good for them long term, they just have no control over Trump's base, and the personality cult going on there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    4 years is a long time for an old man, hes going to look even more like a dying ghoul.
    And Mussolini was a crazy-eyed doughboy and hitler was a scrawny little man with a funny mustache; Trump's cultists will worship him no matter how far Trump further sublimates into an orange blob.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    I have strong doubts the RNC thinks their ties to Trump and his current actions is good for them long term, they just have no control over Trump's base, and the personality cult going on there.
    That's why they're trying so desperately to keep them. I can guarantee you almost 100% that none of these GOP congresspeople launching participating in these after-the-election challenges actually expected them to work. They're trying to get their name affixed to them to try and appear still "loyal" to Trump, not to appease him (he's old news) but to appease his base.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

And Mussolini was a crazy-eyed doughboy and hitler was a scrawny little man with a funny mustache; Trump's cultists will worship him no matter how far Trump further sublimates into an orange blob.
    It's also pretty obvious they don't care about the actual things he says or does. It's about some idea he represents, even if he himself doesn't believe or represent those things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    i do find the lack of control parties have over candidates insane and how vulnerable to entryism they are
    And it's a lack of control they do by choice to give the voters a feeling of control. The primaries aren't a part of the legal process, they're just something parties do.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    It's also pretty obvious they don't care about the actual things he says or does. It's about some idea he represents, even if he himself doesn't believe or represent those things.
    Exactly. People like the idea of Trump.

The idea that he'll be "tough on immigrants"

The idea that he "projects strength."

The idea that he "wins all the time."

The idea that "the liberals and media are powerless to stop him."

No matter how many times each of those points has proven to be repeatedly and blindingly false. Trump has done nothing of substance about immigration. America has only weakened under his tenure as president, due in no short shrift to his actions directly. And the democrats have handed him shattering defeats over these past four years, with a solid number of them occurring only within the past two months or so.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    No matter how many times each of those points has proven to be repeatedly and blindingly false.
    While not everyone who voted for Trump fits this category of course, it's amazing how many people out there just flat-out refuse, not to admit they made a mistake, but to admit they lost. I mean, when was the last time a Bengals fan planned to blow up a ref's house? It's not if-and-only-if, but the increasingly violent refusal to admit defeat seems to be uniquely Trumpian. I don't know what makes it worth it to them, but hopefully the low level of violence we've seen remains low.