1. #41321
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I get the impression from his speeches, that this presidency was a reaction, not one of vision or long term goals. I think Biden, if not directly, has hinted that this might be a one term gig.
    As others have pointed out (beat me to it...) this CNN article brings new substance to the conversation. Granted, there has been a lot of talk about this amongst the Dem party and those in his orbit, but the tone and substance of those discussions seem to have shifted.

    I think Joe must run (and win) in 2024, at which point he could then at some stage resign, having secured the White House for another four years. All of this is of course predicated upon an impressive current term, for which I am cautiously optimistic.
    Last edited by Zardoz541; 2021-01-21 at 07:43 PM.

  2. #41322
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    If people are starting to talk 2024 then yes, kill the thread.
    People were talking about 2024 before Biden ever even won. That's just US politics. They elections never stop. The grabbing for cash never stops. It just goes on, and on, and on, and....

    As for Biden 2024, that's years away. Nobody knows how he'll be at the end of this term. He's old AF as it is.
    Fully support violence in the streets because you're too comfy sat at home in another country behind your PC screen to actually do anything about things you claim to be against Nobody is obsessed with you. Nobody really even cares about you. You're simply the joke that keeps on giving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro-Violence/Arch-Angel of Riots/rmfAcc/Rochana View Post
    I admit I'm an absolute lunatic who is in favor of chaos, because I don't like what is currently going on - despite being in a privileged and elated position in this supposed state of "normalcy".

  3. #41323
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    People were talking about 2024 before Biden ever even won. That's just US politics. They elections never stop. The grabbing for cash never stops. It just goes on, and on, and on, and....

    As for Biden 2024, that's years away. Nobody knows how he'll be at the end of this term. He's old AF as it is.
    Well, if we want to go old, Betty White is 99 years old. Might as well as have a centenarian as the next president.

  4. #41324
    https://twitter.com/TPMLiveWire/stat...27423006830601

    Kevin McCarthy says he didn't vote to overturn the election. He did vote to overturn the election, but says it doesn't count because his vote wouldn't have overturned it.

    Just a reminder that Republicans and lying go together like bees and pollen.

  5. #41325
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/TPMLiveWire/stat...27423006830601

    Kevin McCarthy says he didn't vote to overturn the election. He did vote to overturn the election, but says it doesn't count because his vote wouldn't have overturned it.

    Just a reminder that Republicans and lying go together like bees and pollen.
    Sounds like people need to upload a clip of him voting to overturn the results on their phone and play it to him every time they walk by.

  6. #41326
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    Sounds like people need to upload a clip of him voting to overturn the results on their phone and play it to him every time they walk by.
    That's what's nuts to me. He doesn't deny voting to overturn the election...just that his vote would have overturned the election. This is some doublespeak more plus good, shit.

  7. #41327
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's what's nuts to me. He doesn't deny voting to overturn the election...just that his vote would have overturned the election. This is some doublespeak more plus good, shit.
    And yet there are people hearing that and saying "Well, yeah....totally"

    Kinda reminds me of the people that voted "yes" on Brexit...but say they didn't actually want Brexit...they just wanted to lodge a protest vote or whatever.

  8. #41328
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    56,566
    As above, so below.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    My body is a wonderland.

  9. #41329
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,453
    Our Ruling

    Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh pushed ahead with the false narrative that Biden’s election was illegitimate.

    "With 74 million, maybe 80 million people who did not vote for Joe Biden, there is no way they can honestly say to themselves that they represent the power base of the country," Limbaugh told his millions of listeners Jan. 20. "They're going to have to take it. They're going to have to hold on to it and never let go of it. They have not legitimately won it."

    He argued on his radio show that the heavy security presence and hundreds of thousands of flags lining the National Mall in place of a celebratory crowd were "replacements for people" because Biden’s camp was not "confident a bunch of people would show up."

    Limbaugh also posited that Biden had too little support to welcome a large Inauguration Day crowd because "nobody showed up at Joe Biden political rallies."

    Bla bla bla facts and evidence

    We rate Limbaugh’s statement Pants on Fire!
    Looks like the rabid fanbase are still at it. Just a reminder, Limbaugh never voted for Reagan, got hooked on drugs and lied about it, went on welfare for years, and left Twitter and deleted his account before he got permanently banned himself.

  10. #41330
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Our Ruling



    Looks like the rabid fanbase are still at it. Just a reminder, Limbaugh never voted for Reagan, got hooked on drugs and lied about it, went on welfare for years, and left Twitter and deleted his account before he got permanently banned himself.
    I mean, that first sentence just continues to show they don't understand or (or pretend to not, not sure which is worse) how an election works. Congrats, your guy got a lot of votes! But the other one got more. You lost, get over it. (Not you "you", btw.)

  11. #41331
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,453
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    Congrats, your guy got a lot of votes! But the other one got more.
    Or it could be far worse.

    The number of people who didn't vote for someone in an election? Considering US voter turnout, that means nobody ever got a true majority. Maybe Washington.

  12. #41332
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Or it could be far worse.

    The number of people who didn't vote for someone in an election? Considering US voter turnout, that means nobody ever got a true majority. Maybe Washington.
    I get that that is part of the freedoms allowed in the US and what our country fights for, but it's kinda bad sometimes... I think it's Australia that has a big fine if you don't vote in the major elections?

  13. #41333
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    I get that that is part of the freedoms allowed in the US and what our country fights for, but it's kinda bad sometimes... I think it's Australia that has a big fine if you don't vote in the major elections?
    I think so, IIRC it's required for them to vote under the law.

    But that's a bit of a double edged sword, especially with how woefully inadequate the voting system in the US is. It already frequently gets crushed under the weight of existing votes, and roughly doubling that number would be a logistical nightmare. Not to mention the nightmare of trying to get everyone registered to vote.

    And on a personal level, I don't know how I feel about a huge influx of even more uninformed voters voting for people and issues they don't understand in the slightest and don't care about.

  14. #41334
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    I get that that is part of the freedoms allowed in the US and what our country fights for, but it's kinda bad sometimes... I think it's Australia that has a big fine if you don't vote in the major elections?
    Yep. But they also make it a national holiday and more of a fun event.

    Too many people in the US would cry "MUH FREEDOMS!" if voting was mandatory.

  15. #41335
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Too many people in the US would cry "MUH FREEDOMS!" if voting was mandatory.
    It's better than that.

    https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ay/2725081002/

    Mitch McConnel literally called making the election a federal holiday so people could easily go vote a, "Power grab".

    It's wonderful when Republicans just openly admit that their party is a minority party and that the biggest threat to their power is people actually voting. Like, thanks for admitting that you know your "ideology" can't win enough votes if everyone can freely vote, dudes.

  16. #41336
    Scarab Lord PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    4,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Yep. But they also make it a national holiday and more of a fun event.
    Ah, yes... the Australian democracy sausage.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  17. #41337
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Ah, yes... the Australian democracy sausage.
    Precisely. I mean, if polling places in the states just set up barbecues (with vegetarian options) outside then at least doing your civic duty would feel a little less onerous.

  18. #41338
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Precisely. I mean, if polling places in the states just set up barbecues (with vegetarian options) outside then at least doing your civic duty would feel a little less onerous.
    Imagine PETA then posting themselves outside of polling to rally against voting because of that, lol

  19. #41339
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    Imagine PETA then posting themselves outside of polling to rally against voting because of that, lol
    Does anyone take PETA seriously anymore? Does anyone even remember they exist when they're not reminded? I think those clowns have done more to hurt their own cause than any corporate advertising campaign could ever hope to accomplish.

  20. #41340
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    I get that that is part of the freedoms allowed in the US and what our country fights for, but it's kinda bad sometimes... I think it's Australia that has a big fine if you don't vote in the major elections?
    Nah, it's more symbolic than anything, something like $20 for a first time offence and 50 if you are a repeat offender.

    The difference here is that it is held on a Saturday to start with and it is run by a proper organisation - the Australian Electrol commission . The aec oversees all elections in Australia, from federal, state and local, down to things like union votes.

    Plus democracy sausages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •