1. #11201
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Different colored hats.
    Life just feels like a long game of TF2 sometimes...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  2. #11202
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Aelia Capitolina
    Posts
    59,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Life just feels like a long game of TF2 sometimes...
    Fuck the red team tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

  3. #11203
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Fuck the red team tho.
    I curse at the screen when I am on yellow team... I swear to god they all must play Alliance in WoW...

    Bannon was a gold seller in WoW, which contributed to the rise of Trump.

    Now we are in topic...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  4. #11204
    Merely a Setback PACOX's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    26,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Political signs in a video game to own the Trumpkins. Love It.
    Its tasteless on a ton of levels. People play games, especially Animal Crossing, to escape real life. People didn't no purchase Animal Crossing with the notion that they marketers and campaign signs will follow them into their virtual world.

    People hate when MAGA Hats go to preaching in global chats or rock Trump iconography. Straight up disallow all political speech because of it. They would lose their mind if Trump had people running around in Fortnite.

    I don't see how this is different. Just keep both sides out of politics. They risk people checking out altogether when boundaries aren't respected.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  5. #11205
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Its tasteless on a ton of levels. People play games, especially Animal Crossing, to escape real life. People didn't no purchase Animal Crossing with the notion that they marketers and campaign signs will follow them into their virtual world.

    People hate when MAGA Hats go to preaching in global chats or rock Trump iconography. Straight up disallow all political speech because of it. They would lose their mind if Trump had people running around in Fortnite.

    I don't see how this is different. Just keep both sides out of politics. They risk people checking out altogether when boundaries aren't respected.
    You have to scan a code for them to appear in your game... I bet most wont even know they exist...

    Edit: They don’t allow custom skins in Fortnite... all of their events are promotional. You can’t make your own stuff for it, without Epic approval.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  6. #11206
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Its tasteless on a ton of levels. People play games, especially Animal Crossing, to escape real life. People didn't no purchase Animal Crossing with the notion that they marketers and campaign signs will follow them into their virtual world.

    People hate when MAGA Hats go to preaching in global chats or rock Trump iconography. Straight up disallow all political speech because of it. They would lose their mind if Trump had people running around in Fortnite.

    I don't see how this is different. Just keep both sides out of politics. They risk people checking out altogether when boundaries aren't respected.
    Because you have to invite people to your island--and they have to accept it--in order for them to actually see those signs there's really no harm in it. People need to stop complaining over really trivial shit.

  7. #11207
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Its tasteless on a ton of levels. People play games, especially Animal Crossing, to escape real life. People didn't no purchase Animal Crossing with the notion that they marketers and campaign signs will follow them into their virtual world.

    People hate when MAGA Hats go to preaching in global chats or rock Trump iconography. Straight up disallow all political speech because of it. They would lose their mind if Trump had people running around in Fortnite.

    I don't see how this is different. Just keep both sides out of politics. They risk people checking out altogether when boundaries aren't respected.
    There's a bit of a difference between spamming global channels in a game and being obnoxious, and creating some optional cosmetics people have to actively seek out and download via an in-game key or QR code to even know exist.

  8. #11208
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Because you have to invite people to your island--and they have to accept it--in order for them to actually see those signs there's really no harm in it. People need to stop complaining over really trivial shit.
    There are people with MAGA hats and all that shit in the game... it’s just made by supporters and not promoted by Trump. People can use those skins and do unflattering shit, like make a Biden themed spider island... or one infested with bees...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  9. #11209
    Merely a Setback PACOX's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    26,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Because you have to invite people to your island--and they have to accept it--in order for them to actually see those signs there's really no harm in it. People need to stop complaining over really trivial shit.
    You think it's going to stop there? Because it is not going to stop there, especially if Biden wins and it's deemed a success strategy. Bad enough when you have campaigns spamming your phone and inbox. They will definitely go after virtual spaces if people say 'well it's mostly harmless'. The nail is that Republicans are so much better at messaging too so they'll dominate the medium.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  10. #11210
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Yeah, well just continue to ignore the DNC and Obama meddling. It's not like you'd need the Youth Vote to win. I mean the last time that happened was with Obama. Just continue to ignore that they may likely outnumber the boomers this year.
    Who is ignoring it? Trump is literally campaigning against it. There was a 5 day RNC last week, that made the case for the policy you are pushing on Biden, as being a threat to western culture. I think you are ignoring that Trump’s whole campaign and his promise for the next 4 years, is a red scare built around the ideology you claim will help Biden.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  11. #11211
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    You think it's going to stop there? Because it is not going to stop there, especially if Biden wins and it's deemed a success strategy. Bad enough when you have campaigns spamming your phone and inbox. They will definitely go after virtual spaces if people say 'well it's mostly harmless'. The nail is that Republicans are so much better at messaging too so they'll dominate the medium.
    Again, there's a difference between an optional set of cosmetics you have to seek out and spamming general channels with obnoxious MAGA memes. If the Trump campaign wants to add in a MAGA, let them. MAGA folks will be happy on their islands with it, and everyone else will either not know they exist at all or casually ignore them because they don't give a fuck/don't like it and would have to actively do something to even see it.

  12. #11212
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    The only ones acting like Trumpster's are the ones who lash irrational out anyone who dares raise criticism of their dear leader.
    That’s not what is happening... No one is arguing that Biden is not a good candidate... you just ignore it to act like a victim, instead of simply conceding that it’s because of you not voting Biden. The disagreement here isn’t ideological, but 100% about who to vote for in this election.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  13. #11213
    Merely a Setback PACOX's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    26,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    There's a bit of a difference between spamming global channels in a game and being obnoxious, and creating some optional cosmetics people have to actively seek out and download via an in-game key or QR code to even know exist.
    Yeah I don't want either party thinking it's okay to invade peoples outlet. It's one thing if players want to show their support, mostly trolling anyway. It's another if campaigns are actual spending money and going over data to best see how to inject themselves into your free time.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  14. #11214
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Again, there's a difference between an optional set of cosmetics you have to seek out and spamming general channels with obnoxious MAGA memes. If the Trump campaign wants to add in a MAGA, let them. MAGA folks will be happy on their islands with it, and everyone else will either not know they exist at all or casually ignore them because they don't give a fuck/don't like it and would have to actively do something to even see it.
    They already do... it’s just not promoted by Trump:



    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Yeah I don't want either party thinking it's okay to invade peoples outlet. It's one thing if players want to show their support, mostly trolling anyway. It's another if campaigns are actual spending money and going over data to best see how to inject themselves into your free time.
    They are not injecting anything... you would be the one injecting...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  15. #11215
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Yeah I don't want either party thinking it's okay to invade peoples outlet.
    It's not an "invasion" of the people have to intentionally let you in to begin with. If the person doesn't want to see it, they just don't download that stuff. Easy peasy.

    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    It's another if campaigns are actual spending money and going over data to best see how to inject themselves into your free time.
    What money are they spending? I don't see an ad-sales push around this. It seems like it was a part of standard digital strategy and communications so it doesn't appear to have incurred additional costs outside of normal campaign activities.

    Do you think AC is still going to be a cultural phenomenon in 4 years? Do you think the next one will be released ahead of the next election and still be the shit hotness when it comes time to campaign?

  16. #11216
    Merely a Setback PACOX's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    26,176
    Campaigns have no place in entertainment.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    They already do... it’s just not promoted by Trump:



    - - - Updated - - -



    They are not injecting anything... you would be the one injecting...
    Who was talking about Bannon selling gold and the rise of the MAGA Hat?

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  17. #11217
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Campaigns have no place in entertainment.
    Who is that in your signature?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Who was talking about Bannon selling gold and the rise of the MAGA Hat?
    I was talking about Bannon being a gold seller and I guess I have talked about the MAGA hate being popular... Uhm... okay... lol
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  18. #11218
    Merely a Setback PACOX's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    26,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Who is that in your signature?
    My sig has what to do with anything? And you're not looking hard enough if you think it is any kind of endorsement.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  19. #11219
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Campaigns have no place in entertainment.
    I mean, historically that's not remotely true - https://academic.oup.com/jah/article.../3/911/1792081

    Though if this is a belief you hold, it's one I don't entirely disagree with but it's also one that's not gonna gain any purchase. At least not until we get some serious campaign finance reform, and even then entertainment will remain an aspect of campaigns.

    Trump gets Scott Baio
    Biden gets Robert DeNiro

  20. #11220
    Merely a Setback PACOX's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    26,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean, historically that's not remotely true - https://academic.oup.com/jah/article.../3/911/1792081

    Though if this is a belief you hold, it's one I don't entirely disagree with but it's also one that's not gonna gain any purchase. At least not until we get some serious campaign finance reform, and even then entertainment will remain an aspect of campaigns.

    Trump gets Scott Baio
    Biden gets Robert DeNiro
    I don't care what people do in their own time. Be a celebrity who uses their money to campaign for a candidate or XvxTrump2020xvX spamming map chat as long is its in a private capacity.

    There's a different between that can campaigns operating at an official capacity.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •