1. #12121
    I am Murloc! rmfAcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    /root/society
    Posts
    5,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    You know what I find funny? You're whining about how bad Biden is at campaigning and not articulating his vision (despite countless links providing you with the info you claim Biden isn't putting out) and you lot go on about how great Bernie was, but here's the thing: Bernie lost to the guy you claim is a bad campaigner.

    So if Bernie lost to a guy you claim is terrible at campaigning, what makes you think he could have beaten Trump?
    While I do personally think Bernie would stand a better chance (because there is evidence and polls and patterns from the 2016 elections that point towards that), it also is not relevant to me at this point.

    I already told people to go vote Biden since a few months ago.
    Which is probably why the bad campaigning bothers me at the moment.

  2. #12122
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    The argument about policy is crazy. This whole election boils down to the pandemic and the economy.

    The questions that people should be asking is Labor Day going to be another super spreader event? Will the convergence of the flu season and Covid-19 be a disaster in the making? Will companies keep laying off their employees?

    If the answers are yes, yes and yes. Biden has a very good chance of winning the presidency.
    Oh I don't think many here who are voting for Biden are doing so specifically because of policy. This isn't a policy election. The only reason policy is coming up now is because one person is either so dense they are forming their own gravitational field or they are sea-lioning.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    It's not licking wounds. You have clearly shown you were a bad faith poster in the past. Changed your name and avatar becasue you were repeatedly called out for being such. Now are showing your roots as a bad faith poster and being called out for what you are. If you fail to see the connection that 's on you.
    Wimp Lo thinks losing is winning.

  3. #12123
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Oh I don't think many here who are voting for Biden are doing so specifically because of policy. This isn't a policy election. The only reason policy is coming up now is because one person is either so dense they are forming their own gravitational field or they are sea-lioning.
    And people kept taking the bait. Ignore it. People don't have to respond to every dumb posts.

  4. #12124
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Oh I don't think many here who are voting for Biden are doing so specifically because of policy. This isn't a policy election. The only reason policy is coming up now is because one person is either so dense they are forming their own gravitational field or they are sea-lioning.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Wimp Lo thinks losing is winning.
    So have conservatives for the last 4 years. Sure Trump won, but the senate and house has done nothing but gain blue seats since the 2016 election. Trump hasn't really come through in any of his campaign policies. the dude is well below the Mendoza line on legal cases as President. And so on, and so on.

  5. #12125
    I am Murloc! rmfAcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    /root/society
    Posts
    5,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    And people kept taking the bait. Ignore it. People don't have to respond to every dumb posts.
    Oh, don't worry. I've already put most of them on ignore too.

    My own patience for these bad faith arguments related to the elections is quite low too.

  6. #12126
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    So have conservatives for the last 4 years. Sure Trump won, but the senate and house has done nothing but gain blue seats since the 2016 election. Trump hasn't really come through in any of his campaign policies. the dude is well below the Mendoza line on legal cases as President. And so on, and so on.
    Well technically they lost two Dem seats in the Senate in 2018. I don't think it's going to go that way this year, though.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    And people kept taking the bait. Ignore it. People don't have to respond to every dumb posts.
    Agreed. I wouldn't even see those posts if people weren't quoting it. But I'll still happily point out the stupidity when I see it.

  7. #12127
    Elemental Lord
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    8,702
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    So have conservatives for the last 4 years. Sure Trump won, but the senate and house has done nothing but gain blue seats since the 2016 election. Trump hasn't really come through in any of his campaign policies. the dude is well below the Mendoza line on legal cases as President. And so on, and so on.
    But they got a total of 5 whole miles of new wall. To some of these people that is a win.

  8. #12128
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    But they got a total of 5 whole miles of new wall. To some of these people that is a win.
    im sure the fools who helped crowdfund some wall felt like winners at the time too.

  9. #12129
    All this arguing over someone that not only can't use Google, but also has no part in the US election whatsoever. The mind boggles.

    Must admit, the whole "his policies are hard to find! Look at my Google search that right away gives links to tell you all about them" was pretty funny, at least.

    You guys totally got dominated.... Yup

  10. #12130
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    64,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Angel of Riots View Post
    It doesn't bode well when I try to google for "Biden's main policies" and I'm met with several pages of opinion pieces and news articles trying to investigate the same thing. There does not seem to be any clear messaging on what his main policies are.
    Just checked this myself, and while there's a NYT and Politico breakdown and a Wikipedia specific to the topic as the first three, Biden's campaign site is #4. And the Politico link, at least, is pretty much just an objective breakdown.

    I don't have any clue where you're getting this from.

  11. #12131
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I don't have any clue where you're getting this from.
    Don't worry, neither do they.

  12. #12132
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Just checked this myself, and while there's a NYT and Politico breakdown and a Wikipedia specific to the topic as the first three, Biden's campaign site is #4. And the Politico link, at least, is pretty much just an objective breakdown.

    I don't have any clue where you're getting this from.
    Google tailors search results to individuals to some extent. So if you primarily visit fake new sites that peddle in lies, alt right blogs, and conspiracy theory YouTube channels it wouldn't surprise me if you didn't get reasonable results related to searches about Dems.

  13. #12133
    So, I am getting a bit worried about the negative perception of BLM and the protests. Everyone in this thread knows that rioters are a small fraction of the protest movement, but that's not the impression average people have.

    Almost everyone I know in my hometown (of Buffalo) serve as my political bellweather. They're all union guys, strong Democrats for the 90s and 00s, etc. They didn't mind guys like McCain or Romney, but still voted Obama. In 2016, whenever we talked, a lot of us who went to college would do a lot of the talking kept saying HRC was the only viable choice, and these guys were somewhat sullen and says, "fuck all of it." A lot of them voted Trump and I only found out about it after the election.

    Fast forward to 2020. I'd say in June/July, these guys were vehemently on the Joe Biden train, and now can't stand Trump. A couple months later, and now all they talk about is lawlessness and disorder and burning cities. I keep making the same arguments - it's a small fraction, it's a very much justified rage, lives are more important than property, etc. They're having none of it. They think "if I have to follow all these rules, so should everyone else." They're all on board for peaceful protests, they just can't make the next step into justifying riots for the cause.

    A gnawing sense of dread looms. I'm just so goddamn tired of the red rose brigade yelling shit at people eating lunch and setting fire to shit because they think they win with reactionary violence.

  14. #12134
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    So, I am getting a bit worried about the negative perception of BLM and the protests. Everyone in this thread knows that rioters are a small fraction of the protest movement, but that's not the impression average people have.

    Almost everyone I know in my hometown (of Buffalo) serve as my political bellweather. They're all union guys, strong Democrats for the 90s and 00s, etc. They didn't mind guys like McCain or Romney, but still voted Obama. In 2016, whenever we talked, a lot of us who went to college would do a lot of the talking kept saying HRC was the only viable choice, and these guys were somewhat sullen and says, "fuck all of it." A lot of them voted Trump and I only found out about it after the election.

    Fast forward to 2020. I'd say in June/July, these guys were vehemently on the Joe Biden train, and now can't stand Trump. A couple months later, and now all they talk about is lawlessness and disorder and burning cities. I keep making the same arguments - it's a small fraction, it's a very much justified rage, lives are more important than property, etc. They're having none of it. They think "if I have to follow all these rules, so should everyone else." They're all on board for peaceful protests, they just can't make the next step into justifying riots for the cause.

    A gnawing sense of dread looms.
    Lean into it. "Well, this is happening because Trump is refusing to make change for the better and is just pouring fuel on the fire in his Twitter tantrums. Biden has expressed a will to examine the problem and try to enact change. Remember, this isn't happening under Biden. It's happening under Trump."

    There have also been several documented instances of agent provocateurs causing many of the problems, but that's probably too deep for people who even considered voting Trump in 2016.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2020-08-30 at 01:00 AM.

  15. #12135
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    29,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Lean into it. "Well, this is happening because Trump is refusing to make change for the better and is just pouring fuel on the fire in his Twitter tantrums. Biden has expressed a will to examine the problem and try to enact change. Remember, this isn't happening under Biden. It's happening under Trump."
    I think you're spot on regarding the answer to @eschatological's concern and local discussion about BLM. All of this is Trump's America - every part of it. He fuels the fire of dissent and disorder to keep everyone angry and on edge. Biden will cool things down, find solutions to problems that cross political spectrums, just as he's done his entire life.

  16. #12136
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    So, I am getting a bit worried about the negative perception of BLM and the protests. Everyone in this thread knows that rioters are a small fraction of the protest movement, but that's not the impression average people have.

    Almost everyone I know in my hometown (of Buffalo) serve as my political bellweather. They're all union guys, strong Democrats for the 90s and 00s, etc. They didn't mind guys like McCain or Romney, but still voted Obama. In 2016, whenever we talked, a lot of us who went to college would do a lot of the talking kept saying HRC was the only viable choice, and these guys were somewhat sullen and says, "fuck all of it." A lot of them voted Trump and I only found out about it after the election.

    Fast forward to 2020. I'd say in June/July, these guys were vehemently on the Joe Biden train, and now can't stand Trump. A couple months later, and now all they talk about is lawlessness and disorder and burning cities. I keep making the same arguments - it's a small fraction, it's a very much justified rage, lives are more important than property, etc. They're having none of it. They think "if I have to follow all these rules, so should everyone else." They're all on board for peaceful protests, they just can't make the next step into justifying riots for the cause.

    A gnawing sense of dread looms. I'm just so goddamn tired of the red rose brigade yelling shit at people eating lunch and setting fire to shit because they think they win with reactionary violence.
    Honestly, this was always going to happen. Trump supporters swore they'd totally have voted for Biden, if he were running instead of Hillary in 2016. When Biden ran in 2020, they said it again. But, at the end of the day, they were never undecided, they were never going to vote for Biden. They would have used any excuse to justify it. If it wasn't Antifa, it would be Biden being a creepy hair sniffer, or his dementia. At the end of the day, people vote for who they truly are, not who they pretend to be. This is their way of rationalizing that they are not the shitty person that they know Trump to be, they are simply not left with any better options. They don't WANT to vote for him, outside entities are FOCRING their hand. It's nothing more than the lies we tell ourselves. It's also why libertarianism will never actually catch on. People will say they love the idea of such things, but when it comes time to actually show up, they disappear. The Great Election Lie is that there are undecided voters in an election, at least for the major candidates.

    As for the Antifa fuckwads, they should be put in their place. Antifa, and a great many of their supporters are fascists. Not only that, they are not charismatic fascists. Americans have decided they love the idea of fascism, they just want it wrapped in a pretty blonde package, who sneers in front of a camera on OANN or Fox news.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2020-08-30 at 01:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.

  17. #12137
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    -snip-.
    These are all my friends. Guys I know, from the age of 7, and their dads. Me and my friends have been voting since 2000, and all of them, to a man, voted Gore-Kerry-Obama-Obama up til 2016. Their fathers voted twice for Clinton in the 90s.....most of them probably voted for Bush over Dukakis, but I know a few of them who voted for Mondale in 84 over Reagan.

    I still think they're gonna vote Biden. TBH, I credit it to them having a brown immigrant good friend who does all their legal work for them. My best friend is this half Irish, half German guy who grew up in Buffalo, left at 23, and for the past 15 years has been living in San Antonio - and he's never had a passport. Canada 20 minutes from where he grew up, Mexico like an hour away from where he lives now. He can't handle food much spicier than Taco Bell. But he's firmly a Democrat (even now, in Texas) despite fitting the ideal demo for a Trump voter (hell, he even married a Texan woman), and it's because 1) he was exposed to my family growing up, imo and 2) his father was a Vietnam vet who forbade him from going into the Marines and was also a Teamster.

    But I expect there's a lot of these people who, rationally, know they should vote for Biden, who'll look at these riots/burnings/etc and be a little bit concerned about it, and blame it on "liberals." This is a country where "liberal" was once called "the l word" by Bush Sr on the campaign trail, as if it was a curse word, and a lot of these guys are still living in the 80s.

  18. #12138
    I don't think the BLM/other protests are going to matter much for votes. Most of the support is baked in at this point. Anyone who is so fragile and easy to manipulate with propaganda about minorities moving into their white neighborhoods probably wasn't going to be voting Biden anyways.

  19. #12139
    The Insane Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    19,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Angel of Riots View Post
    Wrong.

    If someone has to go to someone's campaign website to find a candidate's policies, then they are hard to find.

    insert picard facepalm here..... Next your gonna say if someone has to go to google to google something google is too hard to use....
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

  20. #12140
    Immortal Thepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Puerto Montt, Chile
    Posts
    7,780
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    These are all my friends. Guys I know, from the age of 7, and their dads. Me and my friends have been voting since 2000, and all of them, to a man, voted Gore-Kerry-Obama-Obama up til 2016. Their fathers voted twice for Clinton in the 90s.....most of them probably voted for Bush over Dukakis, but I know a few of them who voted for Mondale in 84 over Reagan.

    I still think they're gonna vote Biden. TBH, I credit it to them having a brown immigrant good friend who does all their legal work for them. My best friend is this half Irish, half German guy who grew up in Buffalo, left at 23, and for the past 15 years has been living in San Antonio - and he's never had a passport. Canada 20 minutes from where he grew up, Mexico like an hour away from where he lives now. He can't handle food much spicier than Taco Bell. But he's firmly a Democrat (even now, in Texas) despite fitting the ideal demo for a Trump voter (hell, he even married a Texan woman), and it's because 1) he was exposed to my family growing up, imo and 2) his father was a Vietnam vet who forbade him from going into the Marines and was also a Teamster.

    But I expect there's a lot of these people who, rationally, know they should vote for Biden, who'll look at these riots/burnings/etc and be a little bit concerned about it, and blame it on "liberals." This is a country where "liberal" was once called "the l word" by Bush Sr on the campaign trail, as if it was a curse word, and a lot of these guys are still living in the 80s.
    A lot of them are dead by now. Or will be by november. Remember, as brutal as it sounds, COVID affects older people in a much worse way.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •