Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    That’s fucked up. Mind you, in the U.K. we just celebrate Christmas and whatever holidays come around it. There’s no real de-Christmas-ification of any sort. Though we also take Christmas way less seriously than America. It’s less ‘out there’.
    Yep, this is all you need to know, a handy little article that details a great deal of the bullshit that right wing propaganda like Fox News uses to scare the shit out of white Christians. https://www.mediamatters.org/war-chr...as-culture-war

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Yep, this is all you need to know, a handy little article that details a great deal of the bullshit that right wing propaganda like Fox News uses to scare the shit out of white Christians. https://www.mediamatters.org/war-chr...as-culture-war
    Fox News is colon cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Fox News is colon cancer.
    Oh, I fully understand this, but since they are the most popular, and their average age of their viewers is somewhere around 70 or so, they scare the shit out of the elderly, who tend to believe this bullshit and vote Republican.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...olice-n1239359

Much like when the administration refused to allow members of Congress into migrant child detention facilities without sufficient notice so they could clean them up, we're apparently seeing a repeat of that when tit comes to mail facilities. No lover for Wasserman Schultz, but the response to her attempt to visit the facility on short notice seems quite aggressive, including taping off the entrance and placing a security vehicle there.

Wonder what it is that they're so scared of being discovered.

Oh, I fully understand this, but since they are the most popular, and their average age of their viewers is somewhere around 70 or so, they scare the shit out of the elderly, who tend to believe this bullshit and vote Republican.
    I know, you are completely correct was just making a pun on you saying scare the shit out of white christians.

That entire War on Christmas thing was beyond stupid.

That entire War on Christmas thing was beyond stupid.
    But the people that watch Fox News, bought it. And it helped Trump win the presidency, because people actually believed that you couldn't say Merry Christmas anymore in public.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moving argument from a thread it didn’t belong in:

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    He's running for President though. This isn't a part time job lol. A lot is on the line. No need to bitch but he really should be out there more than he has been.
    Here is a leading question... let’s see if you pick up on the intent... How much time is Trump spending campaigning?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

But the people that watch Fox News, bought it. And it helped Trump win the presidency, because people actually believed that you couldn't say Merry Christmas anymore in public.
    Same kinda thing happens here. Right wing media spreads hysteria and everyone loses their shit. The consolation somewhat is that our politicians here are posh wankers as opposed to 2A red necks.

10+ Year Old Account
    The circle is complete... Trump is a classic liberal:

Before you deride this as just YouTube... 1 million views per video...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

"When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post

I can’t listen to Tim Pool’s voice. I just can’t.

At this point I think "classical liberal" has lost all meaning.

didnt he go mask off (if there was any doubt) a while ago.

im trying to start a conspiracy theory that hes matt taibbis illegitimate son.

also classic liberal is code for - far right libertarian who doesnt want to pay taxes and wants to lower the age of consent

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post

The very fact that this video has 1M+ views is precisely why Youtube is derided all the time as any legitimate source. It's fucking entertainment, with almost no redeemable value in the classic information sense. You can hear something, sure, but if you don't verify it, it might as well be from Fox News (not the slant, just the veracity).

The CERN video explaining the significance of the Higgs discovery as 13k views, just as a comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

Trump blocking Congress Members from inspecting postal facilities.

This continues to be the biggest worry of the election - hiding/destroying mail-in ballots by select workers in key democratic districts of battleground states.

I can’t listen to Tim Pool’s voice. I just can’t.
    Tim Pool is best friends with Nazis, is why I can't listen to that retard. And I make fun of anyone that listens to him.

Tim Pool is best friends with Nazis, is why I can't listen to that retard. And I make fun of anyone that listens to him.
    I tried to give it a shot, just to see if anything had changed in terms of my opinion. Nope, he's a moron. 10 seconds is all it took.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The very fact that this video has 1M+ views is precisely why Youtube is derided all the time as any legitimate source...

The CERN video explaining the significance of the Higgs discovery as 13k views, just as a comparison.
    Disagree here with the first bit, specifically in reference to your mention of CERN.

YouTube itself as a platform isn't credible or not, it's the individual channels and creators that are subject to credibility issues. Because you do very much have your Tim Pool's alongside your CERN's, and they can't both be painted with the same brush.

That's not to excuse the extensive and persistent problems with YouTube's algorithms which end up promoting a whole lot of really terrible content and propaganda in an attempt to keep you watching more videos, which is a wholly separate issue with how the platform works. But YT itself is neutral as a platform in this regard, even if the algorithm does often tend to favor conspiracy theory and sensational videos in their bid for our attention.

Views aren't a matter of credibility or legitimacy, they're purely a measure of popularity, which is wholly separate from the other two notions.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Disagree here with the first bit, specifically in reference to your mention of CERN.

YouTube itself as a platform isn't credible or not, it's the individual channels and creators that are subject to credibility issues. Because you do very much have your Tim Pool's alongside your CERN's, and they can't both be painted with the same brush.
    It's precisely why they can't be painted with the same brush that the entire platform cannot be trusted as source material. If something is said on youtube, unless we can verify it from other sources, it's useless. YT as a platform is the same thing as a magazine or television as a platform. It isn't credible until it's verified. So as a platform, in fact precisely because it's a platform, it can be dismissed as credible - every time.

Now, the argument you might make to that is every source falls into that category, which is subjective rather than objective. Every platform (tv, magazine, website) falls into that category. And you'd be right - which bolsters my original point. Platforms are inherently species, at best. And as you pointed out, YouTube is just a platform, making everything on it initially not credible.

That's not to excuse the extensive and persistent problems with YouTube's algorithms which end up promoting a whole lot of really terrible content and propaganda in an attempt to keep you watching more videos, which is a wholly separate issue with how the platform works. But YT itself is neutral as a platform in this regard, even if the algorithm does often tend to favor conspiracy theory and sensational videos in their bid for our attention.
    Neutral in this case is not credible. It's just more social media. Unless you know the source of the material that is being spewed by the provider, it's next to useless.

Views aren't a matter of credibility or legitimacy, they're purely a measure of popularity, which is wholly separate from the other two notions.
    You know that. I know that. But many do not. They think views = credibility. When obviously views only equal popularity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You know that. I know that. But many do not. They think views = credibility. When obviously views only equal popularity.
    To be fair to those people. This is what American society trains people to believe. You only believe otherwise if you are either A: naturally disposed to (usually by being part of a minority group and therefore coming into this world with some basic understanding of the idea that more=/=right) or B: trained to see beyond it.

Just as the wealthy are given legitimacy due to their wealth, "views" are the internet's version of money, the more of it you have, the more legitimate you are. Views determine if you survive on the internet so much like our IRL drive to get money at any cost, the goal online is to get views at any cost. The people that get views survive, the websites that get views make money, the videos that get clicks get more clicks, get more money, last longer.

From childhood to death we're inundated by a society that associates "more" with "good".
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.