10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    In Seattle, we are 4 days from getting out ballots... will our electors choose a candidate that we didn’t for again? Toon in to the wacky world of Pacific Northwest...
    Can't happen again.

Washington passed the Faithful Presidential Electors Act in 2019 and Chiafalo v. Washington was decided by SCOTUS this year.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Are we talking about the fake documents crazy rudy tried to pass off today via the NY Post? Or is it not even worth discussing?

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    Are we talking about the fake documents crazy rudy tried to pass off today via the NY Post? Or is it not even worth discussing?
    There's a thread dedicated to it that was created by a misinformation bot.

I didn't see them mentioned here much, but they were immediately debunked by every credible source and deleted from Facebook, forcing the dumbfuck MAGA crowd to cry more about "censorship!" and "conspiracy!" and "we're going to PARLER!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    There's a thread dedicated to it that was created by a misinformation bot.
    Probably why I didn't see it. I have most of them on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Probably why I didn't see it. I have most of them on ignore.
    The thread's gone on for a few pages, but it's mostly just bemusement at how pathetic the GOP is.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    The thread's gone on for a few pages, but it's mostly just bemusement at how pathetic the GOP is.
    I have no doubt, but whenever one of them starts a thread I don't see it. It's literally invisible to me. Everyone should try it. It improves the forums considerably.

I really don't know where they get the party affiliation shit because we don't have party affiliation in Wisconsin.
    You can register as a democrat or republican and I am sure that is the rolls they are going off of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    You can register as a democrat or republican and I am sure that is the rolls they are going off of.
    This has already been covered, but that's not the way it's done in Wisconsin, apparently. Regardless, the initial image that was posted had the truth down in the fine print:

It's a guesstimate obtained from a model that is based on other data, not on any kind of actual registration data.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    No, you don't.

I literally live here dude.

When you walk in and vote for the partisan primary, they literally hand you a single ballot for both GOP and Democrat and you're instructed to only mark one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any other attractive married Dem hawties need a little polling boost?

Cal Cunningham up 49%-39% over Tillis in new SurveyUSA poll.

He's *improved* since the texting scandal -- he was up 7% in the last poll.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Are you saying the kindle and the work that went into developing paper like readers with good battery life and wifi isn't innovation?
    Nope, the innovation was in 2004 by sony Librie/ Sony Reader.

followed by the Amazon Kindle, a device which, upon its release in 2007

Though the actal inital innovation and process started by E Ink Corporation in 1997 and earliest ideas of this kind of device were found in novels dating back to 1930's.

Project Gutenberg was started in 1971 which has its foundations in e-readers.

1993 -BiblioBytes launched a website to sell ebooks over the internet, the first company to create a financial exchange system for the net.

1998- NuroMedia released the first handheld ebook reader, the Rocket, which allowed ebooks to be downloaded from a PC via a serial cable.

1998- SoftBook launched its SoftBook reader.

So where is the innovation? Improvments and marketing, sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Well, we agree on something.
    Those cheering the ACA are endorsing a GOP plan...that was crafted by the health insurance lobby. And anyone believing it was to help people aren't seeing clearly.
    Everyones premiums increased even as most insurers abandoned the exchanges. Record profits made.
    lol, hey here's a shock... premiums increased.

i mean they have increased almost every year since the begining of time...but hey....ACA right??

Premium increases dropped from where they were prior to ACA.

Record profits were not off the ACA book of business it was off the 168 million private plan and medicare books of business.
    you can easly see this in every one of their 10k earnings statements. You can see this with companies that don't participate in ACA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    And how long did that last?
    "We won't demy coverage but you'll have tp pay this much. If you can afford it...great"

Can't pay for something when you lost your job.
    Sure you can, its called subsidies. you lose your job you qualify for subsidies under ACA. if your income goes low enough you qualify for medicaid.
    Both could go as low as $0.00 premiums.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    The individual mandate is not a step in the right direction. It's a step in the wrong direction. It's a GOP think tank idea to force citizen to buy insurance. You want a Public option that's fine, but you shouldn't be fining people because they can't afford Health Insurance premiums.
    interesting because the individual mandate has exsisted since 1966 under Medicare.

A mandate where you are forced to purchase insurance that you cannot even use till you are 65.

I wonder why the republican party is not trying to liberate us from the forced participation and purchase of insurance???

BTW medicare was not a GOP idea....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    "in the long run democrats holding out will help more people in bigger ways."

Are you a time traveler? Of course that is the goal, but we don't know how it's going to shake out yet. What we DO know is that alot of struggling people are waiting.

Like, i'm one of those unemployed people. I stand to get a BIG chunk of money from a +600 retroactive bill. I'm hoping her strategy works, but i'll keep questioning it until something solid happens.

I also recently saw a poll where most people blame Pelosi more than Trump about the stimulus being stalled. I didn't verify the source, so take it with a grain of salt, but feel free to look it up if you're so inclined. To be fair, that poll didn't include Mitch on it, who is of course the true villain of the piece.
    LOL if they take all 3, in Jan that 1.8 trillion will go right back up to the original amount democrats wanted...3.3 trillion.

As for the poll, the problem is 98% of republicans will blame pelosi even if trump burned the bill on live tv and said "fuck the poor".
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Cal Cunningham up 49%-39% over Tillis in new SurveyUSA poll.

He's *improved* since the texting scandal -- he was up 7% in the last poll.
    No wonder that both Biden and Trump are staying away from misogyny topics.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    interesting because the individual mandate has exsisted since 1966 under Medicare.

A mandate where you are forced to purchase insurance that you cannot even use till you are 65.

I wonder why the republican party is not trying to liberate us from the forced participation and purchase of insurance???

BTW medicare was not a GOP idea....
    Thats not the same thing.

The insurance mandate was absolutely a conservative think tank alternative to single payer. That's just fact. There were some good things about ACA, but it is not a great plan and it kept being made less and less effective by the Repubs. They really gimped it before it even was launched by removing the price controls the consumers were supposed to have, like being able to create cooperatives and access to nation-wide markets.

Its great a lot of people were able to get insurance, but the truth is, it wasn't;t good insurance and there was a significant amount of people that made too much to qualify for assistance but not enough to really afford it, so they were stuck paying the penalty.

The simple fact of the matter, is that we should have universal healthcare, and the Repubs are against it because they are too stupid to understand it, so instead we got their idea that they turn around and hobbled. It's shit and being angry about it, is justified.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    That's not the Individual Mandate I was speaking about, and I'm pretty sure you're mistaken.
    He is talking about taxes...

Topic No. 751 Social Security and Medicare Withholding Rates
    https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc751

He is pointing out how the mandate is similar to Medicare withholding rate. The difference being, that the mandate was at the end of the year, paid by you instead of withheld by your employer, and you have to pay it, even if you never reach the appropriate age... be it 65 like now or 60 as Biden proposed...

The one I am talking about was the mandate introduced with the ACA and states that you must be covered by insurance or face a Tax fine. It's regressive and punishes those who fall between the cracks of not being eligible for Medicare Expansion, but can't afford private insurance. A thing Biden plans on bringing back, and it's a mistake. A public Option if introduced should be able to be competitive enough to outpace for profit insurance companies. Not that I have any faith we will even get the Public Option.
    Medicare tax is paid by those who might not be even able to afford their own insurance. The demonizing of the mandate, hinges on the fact that the cost for Medicare isn’t something people get riled up about. But... what are we on... day 45 of no payroll taxes going to pay for Medicare?

Oh and no to the ability to compete. This is once again bordering on a GOP talking point, that ignores who is currently on Medicare versus those with insurance. Medicare covers the highest risk pool of potential patients... they can’t beat insurance profits, because they can’t deny you expensive care.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

In other news, Biden's lead briefly went down to +10.2 but is back up to +10.4. The image says +10.3, but just do the arithmetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    God damn it... in Australia you get a democracy sausage... wtf? Why don’t we have that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_sausage

God damn it... in Australia you get a democracy sausage... wtf? Why don’t we have that?

The democracy sausage is great. I won't go to a polling station that doesn't have one.

We also have mandatory voting (with fines for those who don't vote) but we do it on a Saturday so it doesn't interfere with the working week.

Plus we have a preferential voting system - we try and elect the least worst candidate (or the least disliked). Sometimes it works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The democracy sausage is great. I won't go to a polling station that doesn't have one.

We also have mandatory voting (with fines for those who don't vote) but we do it on a Saturday so it doesn't interfere with the working week.

Plus we have a preferential voting system - we try and elect the least worst candidate (or the least disliked). Sometimes it works.
    Yeah... I’m jelly... all we get is covid...

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post

Literally the same here. Even though we have a psycho Tory party in charge over here right now, I got an email this morning saying 'you better register to vote because it's a legal requirement'. I find it baffling that the American system has always disincentivized people from voting.

What's crazy is that's the most Wisconsin thing ever and I'm shocked we didn't start doing it first.