Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    SEEYAAAA DON'T WANT BE YA.

The dopamine rush is real. I'm so happy right now!!
    im celebrating with ice cream.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Where would you rank Trump on the list of presidents, from best to worst?
    seriously? worst president ever

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    This is incorrect.
    What are you disputing?

The VP is the presiding officer of the Senate. They have the power to maintain Senate proceedings. Too keep the shenanigans down to a minimum. I said nothing about voting.

Now there are restrictions what the presiding officer can and can't do. Also things that are naturally nullified by majority rule.

The VP sets the agenda (if they both to show up) but the Majority Leader can simply kill bills in committee, where the VP has no power.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't think you guys would have it in you. Congratulations you definitely picked the better candidate.

i can imagine the entire world is breathing slightly easier because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Which has nothing to do with my point.

The fact that Trump didn't do anything that wasn't for his base doesn't mean he's not your President. This line of thinking leads to the "What have you done for me lately?" view which is just incorrect. The President is not obligated to do anything that particularly benefits you, or any group of people really. The fact that Trump didn't do anything "for" people outside his base doesn't mean he still isn't those people's President. They still have power over him, they are still affected by his decisions even if negatively, he is still their President.

He's just not representing their interests. But by that logic, the President (no matter who they are) can never be the President of the whole country, since he will always not represent someone. And that's just silliness.
    No No No, it was Trump who made it clear before he was even elected that he was the President of Some of the United States.
    At no point in the last 5 or so years has candidate Trump, president elect Trump or President Trump changed his behaviour and he made it clear that he wasn't going to act "presidential".

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    I think the next couple months are going to be filled with articles from former Trumpsters and Trump admin-sters trying to claim they were never on board this shitshow, and desperate to spill all the beans on that shitshow. We're going to hear a lot about "lone voices of reason" in the room, and these "lone" voices will add up to (# of people in the room) - (one Trump).

Grifters and liars, every one of them, and all of them will move on to successful private careers instead of being shunned from society as they should be.

Does anyone else find it funny that Trumpsters are now pretending to be Biden supporters, as they join in on the celebration?

Seriously, please stop embarrassing yourselves, we have all seen your post histories.

My understanding is that "preside over the Senate" at this point means gavel in the new session and be there when they vote to adjourn.

I was quoting from senate.gov, I trust them to understand the rules for their own people.
    Yes, and after they gavel in the new session, they recognize someone to take over. This is what "right of first recognition" means, and how the senate majority leader gets their power to do things like set the senate schedule (and therefore disallow bills from coming to the floor). They (the vice president) don't have to recognize the senate majority leader. It's traditional that they do.

Edit: Clarified who "they" refers to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I feel a little better.

This isn't over...but this is a big deal. Apparently FOX called it while I was unconscious, and they wouldn't do that purely out of spite, like I would because I'm an asshole.

Trump still has options but...some of you might want to pick out flavors.

What else did I miss?

Two quotes from 538. Both are gold, but neither is Silver:

Fun facts: Biden becomes only the sixth vice president to ascend to the presidency through an election (as opposed to resignation or death), following Adams, Jefferson, Van Buren, Nixon and Bush 41. But he’s only the second (along with Nixon) to become president after a hiatus from public office. And he’s the only winning VP who ran for president not to run while still serving as VP (Nixon ran in 1960). Biden also breaks a losing streak of three Dem VPs in a row running for president and losing (Humphrey, Mondale, Gore).
    How did Biden win Pennsylvania? Geographically speaking, the state’s suburban counties had a lot to do with it. In fact, for all the talk of Philadelphia in recent days, Trump has already won more votes in the city than he did in 2016, while Biden has not yet gotten above Clinton’s 2016 vote total. But in Allegheny County, which includes Pittsburgh but also many of its suburbs, Biden has already netted 33,000 more votes than Clinton did. And then there are the Philadelphia suburbs, which were really where Biden outpaced Clinton:
    This tweet:

“Madam Vice President” is no longer a fictional character. @KamalaHarris
    The Pentagon is hiding until it's all over -- that's not cowardice, that's just them doing what they promised.

The last remaining African American in the White House resigns.

The latest from the Lincoln Project:

That GQ guy:

At time of regained consciousness this was Trump's last tweet. The first 20+ replies are all the same thing in Armenian: "flesh and blood for your eternal youth. Bloody death seizes his body, throws it into the darkness with his family"

Which means...something, but since one attached this pic I assume it's negative:

Meanwhile, Gollum J. Trump has tweeted multiple times.

NO NO NOOOOOO!!!!! THE PRECIOUS IS LOST!!!! THE PRECIOUS IS LOOOOOOSSSST! They STOLES it from us!!!! WICKED BIDDENSES!!!

Way back in February Trump said

This fucking virus. What does it have to do with me getting reelected?
    Chris Wallace after Fox calls race for Biden: This is going to be 'increasingly untenable' for Trump

"I think it's going to be increasingly untenable because I think you're going to start to see a lot of the Republican leaders, who are now realizing their fortunes and their futures are no longer so directly tied to Donald Trump, are going to begin to pull back," Wallace said after Biden was projected the winner.

"You even saw Lindsey Graham ... who may have been until yesterday Donald Trump's closest friend, closest colleague in the Senate, beginning to talk about a Biden presidency ... working with him," he said.
    Wanna see the video?

Earlier I talked about how Democrats, independents, and regular people had lots of news sources, but Republicans had just the one, FOX News, which inflates their ratings? Here's proof:

And nowsome local sources.

Given that the VP does not have any actual power to do anything unless specifically delegated to him by the President, and even then, no legal power to do anything, he can do plenty.
    She does in a 50/50 Senate

Quote Originally Posted by formerShandalay View Post
    why didn't they participate and volunteer and thus make sure the count was done right?
    They did. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Why would Trump Pardon himself or step down to have pence pardon him when he truely does think he's commited any crimes.
    That's easy. He's lying. He knows he committed crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I wonder if Twitter is holding a competition to see who gets to be the one to actually ban his account. Imagine the fundraising opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Where would you rank Trump on the list of presidents, from best to worst?
    I mean...I'm biased because I lived through this one. There were some real disasters in US history. Trump did damage, no question bottom ten probably bottom five, but James Buchanan or Andrew Johnson both have a shot at this. Or, of course, William Henry Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Leobald View Post
    People like to predict this, but why would Pence do that? What would be in it for him?

I have zero doubt that Pence hates Trump just as much as most old guard Republicans, probably even more. He had to eat shit for four years. I can not even imagine how often he felt humilated by him.

When Nixon left, Ford got to be President for three (?) years, and then had a shot at his own election. That's something.

Pence would lord of the lamest of lame duck White Houses for three months (three weeks? three days?). Why would he do that? Just that he can call himself President?

I don't buy this scenario.
    I don't think he would. I'm saying legally speaking, he could. It would offer no benefit to Pence, no benefit to the GOP at large, and minimal benefit to Trump in the first place (since he would still be on the hook for state charges in NY).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I think the next couple months are going to be filled with articles from former Trumpsters and Trump admin-sters trying to claim they were never on board this shitshow, and desperate to spill all the beans on that shitshow. We're going to hear a lot about "lone voices of reason" in the room, and these "lone" voices will add up to (# of people in the room) - (one Trump).

Grifters and liars, every one of them, and all of them will move on to successful private careers instead of being shunned from society as they should be.
    There will be some that turn and spill. then there will be the forever loyal that leverage to be a pundent on CNN or Fox.

I'm guessing Trump wanted to book the Four Seasons hotel for his little last minute press stunt, but got the Four Seasons Landscaping Company's parking lot instead. Kind of poetic really.

https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/statu...844601863?s=21

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0261...7i16384!8i8192

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by For_The_Horde View Post
    I'm guessing Trump wanted to book the Four Seasons hotel for his little last minute press stunt, but got the Four Seasons Landscaping Company's parking lot instead.
    I'm just going to assume that's a joke and not really where he had his conference? Or...did I miss it? Fuck where's my covfefe

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    What are you disputing?

The VP is the presiding officer of the Senate. They have the power to maintain Senate proceedings. Too keep the shenanigans down to a minimum. I said nothing about voting.

Now there are restrictions what the presiding officer can and can't do. Also things that are naturally nullified by majority rule.

The VP sets the agenda (if they both to show up) but the Majority Leader can simply kill bills in committee, where the VP has no power.
    The VP can't even address the floor without the consent of the Senate. The presiding officer (whoever is running proceedings on any given day) has to recognize them and allow them to take the floor.

I think they should have more power in the Senate, but currently, they don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Yes, and after they gavel in the new session, they recognize someone to take over. This is what "right of first recognition" means, and how the senate majority leader gets their power to do things like set the senate schedule (and therefore disallow bills from coming to the floor). They (the vice president) don't have to recognize the senate majority leader. It's traditional that they do.

Edit: Clarified who "they" refers to.
    THAT would be an interesting parliamentary tactic.

"Sit down Mitch. I recognize Senator Grassley, the President Pro Tempore".
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The VP can't even address the floor without the consent of the Senate. The presiding officer (whoever is running proceedings on any given day) has to recognize them and allow them to take the floor.

I think they should have more power in the Senate, but currently, they don't.
    To be fair to the system, it's meant to be three distinct and separate branches of government. The VP is part of the Executive. Their power over the Legislative (or Judicial, for that matter) should be next to nil.

Otherwise, you're putting way more power in the hands of the Executive, and then they basically are the government, and the other two branches work for the Executive's interests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    No No No, it was Trump who made it clear before he was even elected that he was the President of Some of the United States.
    At no point in the last 5 or so years has candidate Trump, president elect Trump or President Trump changed his behaviour and he made it clear that he wasn't going to act "presidential".
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Well, that is true to an extent. The problem was is that Trump actively attacked or went out of his way to hinder any person/politician/state that voted against him in any way. He was the president of the USA, the problem being was is that, in his mind, he was president of only the part of the USA that agreed with him. The rest be damned.

There is one thing to not vote for the interests of someone else, which is always going to be the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by passingthrew View Post
    I get what you're saying, but Trump was literally threatening blue states.
    Again, acting improperly while in office doesn't make him not your President. Being an overall a-hole in office doesn't make him not your President. It just makes him a bad President. Whatever he thinks of himself doesn't make that truth. If he really wasn't your President, your votes would have gotten him out of office.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    I said in the past if trump loses you'll see a lot of "I'll never liked trump" bandwagon people. it's just like when you're in elementary school and any sports team would win the major championship. Some of the kids would go and decked out in their clothes the next day. They're basically the equivalent of that.
    Also, beware the "I never actually supported Trump, go through my post history and you'll see I never came right out overtly and stated that outright. No, you're not allowed to use deductive and inductive reasoning to figure out my stance based on how everything I posted supported the Trump administration and attacked Democrats, that's unfair!"

Definitely seen at least a couple of those, already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Also, beware the "I never actually supported Trump"
    That's the "I don't support Trump, but isn't everything he does the best bestiest best ever?" people, right?

What else did I miss?
    Posted this in the other thread but it belongs here too.

Trump said that there would be a press conference for his lawyers at the Four Seasons.

Turns out it wasn't the Four Seasons hotel, but the Four Seasons Landscaping firm. Conveniently located next to an adult bookstore. A reporter on the scene says they had to move landscaping equipment aside to set up.

Can't wait to hear Trump's concession speech.

"You cannot take this away from me, waaaah you cheated waaaaah"

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the "I don't support Trump, but isn't everything he does the best bestiest best ever?" people, right?
    Combined with "Biden is the neolibbiest neolib and I'm super progressive so that's why I'd never vote for Biden".

Once you see the same account making those two kinds of arguments, you know they're bullshitting you.