The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by passingthrew View Post
    Looks terrifying. Hopefully its nothing.
    It's not nothing. One sec.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Resurgo View Post
    These circuit court reassignments supposed to be something significant?

https://twitter.com/correctthemedia/...68707108163587
    Yes, and it's not good.

The Supreme Court helpfully explains, at length, why the justices’ circuit assignments matter. Petitioners will submit emergency applications to an individual justice. A recent example? Pennsylvania Republicans (in the Third Circuit) submitted an emergency application with Justice Samuel Alito, asking for an injunction in an election-related case. Alito responded by granting the request himself 34 to the rest of the Supreme Court.

You may have noticed as well that petitions for a writ of certiorari (a petition for SCOTUS to hear a case) note which circuit the petition is coming from: On Petition for a Writ of Certiorari to the United States Court of Appeals for the _____ Circuit.

“[F]our of the nine Justices must vote to accept a case. Five of the nine Justices must vote in order to grant a stay, e.g., a stay of execution in a death penalty case,” the high court’s rules note. “Under certain instances, one Justice may grant a stay pending review by the entire Court.”
    The reassignments mean that the most conservative justices on SCOTUS are now in charge, individually, of hearing and granting emergency applications - including injunctions. After an injunction is addressed by the individual Justice, the Court reviews Cert requests. It requires four justices voting "yes" to hear a case.

This takes all the state-based voting lawsuits and puts them in the federal arena. And even if the District Court tosses the case out, it can be appealed, and even if the Circuit Courts toss it out, it can be appealed. And now Trump's SCOTUS cronies are in charge of granting injunctions.

One more reason why Trump's THREE SCOTUS nominees are so important and horrific.
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-11-20 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Not a capital crime. They can't literally kill you for it. It's also fairly specific. Saying dumb shit on TV doesn't really qualify.
    I know its not capital, but its a felony and he's definitely guilty of it, no?

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post

Yes, and it's not good.

The reassignments mean that the most conservative justices on SCOTUS are now in charge, individually, of hearing and granting emergency applications - including injunctions. After an injunction is addressed by the individual Justice, the Court reviews Cert requests. It requires four justices voting "yes" to hear a case.

This takes all the state-based voting lawsuits and puts them in the federal arena. And even if the District Court tosses the case out, it can be appealed, and even if the Circuit Courts toss it out, it can be appealed. And now Trump's SCOTUS cronies are in charge of granting injunctions.

One more reason why Trump's THREE SCOTUS nominees are so important and horrific.
    So basically we're basically 'hoping' despite the reassignments, they follow precedents as laid out here?
    https://lawandcrime.com/2020-electio...ing-to-happen/

So basically we're basically 'hoping' despite the reassignments, they follow precedents as laid out here?
    I don't think the Justices will destroy the election results. It takes a special kind of dirtbag, like Trump, to ascend into a historical position like that and say fuck everything and burn it down.

So week ago it was just a dumb asshole throwing tantrum about losing election, now there is an actual posibility for this to become a threat? What the actual fuck happened murica, explain. I was gone for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    I don't think the Justices will destroy the election results. It takes a special kind of dirtbag, like Trump, to ascend into a historical position like that and say fuck everything and burn it down.
    alito and thomas are that special kind of dirtbag though. rapey brett maybe not. ACB not sure could go either way.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    alito and thomas are that special kind of dirtbag though. rapey brett maybe not. ACB not sure could go either way.
    I really don't think those two are that level though. To find in favor of Trump they'd have to be ok with literally tearing down the bedrock of the government...voting. I really don't think they are prepared to do that.I also don't think Roberts would let them.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, that is what we are hoping.

These reassignments are an obvious blatant move to attempt to politicalize SCOTUS in favor of handing Trump an election victory. I mean, it's ridiculously blatant. What I'm hoping is the Court's very recent decision to cancel oral arguments regarding Trump-as-Resident means that the court is staying out of this circus. Perhaps more accurately, staying above it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    I really don't think those two are that level though. To find in favor of Trump they'd have to be ok with literally tearing down the bedrock of the government...voting. I really don't think they are prepared to do that.I also don't think Roberts would let them.
    I guess we'll agree to disagree on those two. I do agree with your last thought there though.

10+ Year Old Account
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Perhaps the heaviest blow of all to Trump...

Twitter will hand @Potus to Biden on Inauguration Day, even if Trump doesn’t concede

And we won't even get to see the rage Tweets...

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Indeed, that is what we are hoping.

These reassignments are an obvious blatant move to attempt to politicalize SCOTUS in favor of handing Trump an election victory. I mean, it's ridiculously blatant. What I'm hoping is the Court's very recent decision to cancel oral arguments regarding Trump-as-Resident means that the court is staying out of this circus. Perhaps more accurately, staying above it.
    the good news is the 2 SCOTUS that I think possibly could do it in my previous post, are in charge of 2 states, that even if they did do it, biden would still have 270 w/o Penn and GA. and alito and thomas are smart enough to know this, so they won't do it simply because it'd be fruitless to even try.

10+ Year Old Account
    [quote[In their statement, the Michigan legislators also said that their state’s certification process should be “free from threats and intimidation.”

“Allegations of fraudulent behavior should be taken seriously, thoroughly investigated, and if proven, prosecuted to the full extent of the law,” the statement said. “And the candidates who win the most votes win elections and Michigan’s electoral votes. These are simple truths that should provide confidence in our elections.”[/quote]

Hopefully they're not lying. Party of Trump members have done that once or twice or twenty thousand times. I mean, if you were going to steal an election, would you announce it so publicly before it worked?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    So week ago it was just a dumb asshole throwing tantrum about losing election, now there is an actual posibility for this to become a threat? What the actual fuck happened murica, explain. I was gone for a while.
    people REALLY don't understand how much of the US Gov ran on "gentlemen's agreements" and mores
    and how amazing it took this long for one person to get a party of people to side with just trying to straight turn this to a dictatorship
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Perhaps the heaviest blow of all to Trump...

Twitter will hand @Potus to Biden on Inauguration Day, even if Trump doesn’t concede

And we won't even get to see the rage Tweets...
    He doesn't really use @Potus for much, does he? As far as I know he does all his adderall laced rants on @realDonaldTrump, which is his personal conspiracy account he has been using for years.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    people REALLY don't understand how much of the US Gov ran on "gentlemen's agreements" and mores
    From what I know, this is how every nation works more or less. No developed nation that I know of specifically created its government with the notion that one (or more) parties of power would intentionally ratfuck everything they can.

This isn't just in the US, it's just most evident in the US given the level of dysfunction that's very much in your face.

By having a secret meeting with Trump if they then try to interfere some way with the certification of the results they open themselves up for felony charges. I'd like to imagine they aren't going to take personal risk since they know Trump easily discards used puppets and Trump wouldn't have had any realistic stuff to offer them in exchange for taking the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    He doesn't really use @Potus for much, does he? As far as I know he does all his adderall laced rants on @realDonaldTrump, which is his personal conspiracy account he has been using for years.
    Sure, but the POTUS account is protected from being banned. His personal account, however, is not (after the inauguration).

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    From what I know, this is how every nation works more or less. No developed nation that I know of specifically created its government with the notion that one (or more) parties of power would intentionally ratfuck everything they can.

This isn't just in the US, it's just most evident in the US given the level of dysfunction that's very much in your face.
    Indeed. Here in Canada our entire government apparatus is based on such agreements. The position of Prime Minister is barely even mentioned in the Constitution (which unlike America isn't composed of one document with clear amendment rules either, but also a shedload of traditions and mores) and in theory a PM with a loyal majority in the Commons could fuck over a lot of things and people, far more than an American President ever could. I won't even go into what could happen if someone like Trump was somehow chosen as Governor General, our actual (representative of the) Head of State who on paper chooses the government in the first place and a large portion of the country somehow followed them.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    the good news is the 2 SCOTUS that I think possibly could do it in my previous post, are in charge of 2 states, that even if they did do it, biden would still have 270 w/o Penn and GA. and alito and thomas are smart enough to know this, so they won't do it simply because it'd be fruitless to even try.
    The comments were, ah...

We're not going to be healing as a nation any time soon. Or agreeing on reality.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit