10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This is what happens when the election is over, but the thread stays open, and people then decide to go in circles with shit like wolf packs. And some people insist on feeding the troll-like existences.

Honestly, the people that feed those that are full of obvious shit and trolls are almost as bad as the trolls themselves. It gets so fucking tedious seeing pages of 2 posters going round in circles with the same posts nonstop.
    It’s really the pretentious nonsense that gets me. As if there was some victory to be won arguing about... packs of humans because we’re really like... wolves... or whatever it was?

Anywho, I think it very fitting e close this thread on the 20th. Consign these last four miserable years to the history books in our own special way.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    PM’d you. Don’t want to post it here.
    I'd also love to know who that main is. That dude has spammed hundreds and hundreds of accounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stardrist View Post
    No one is trolling any one here. I genuinely fucking hate people like you.
    Dude maybe go take a walk outside or something? Get a hobby maybe?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    The word is "misanthrope" and we're aware that it's quite in vogue to justify reprehensible political opinions. Mostly among edgy white dudes in PHIL and POL 101, but a few people seem not to be able to grow out of it for reasons.

Can't be accused of unethical behavior if one has no ethics, after all.
    I dislike portions of society, but then so do you. I do not avoid it however.

I went to POL 400 and CR 300 levels actually.

Ethics are a social construct, and valid only within the society that creates them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    I dislike portions of society, but then so do you. I do not avoid it however.

I went to POL 400 and CR 300 levels actually.

Ethics are a social construct, and valid only within the society that creates them.
    So is language, and economics, and law, and social cues, and so forth.

Pretty much everything but grunting at each other and hitting people that bother us is a "social construct".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Pretty much everything but grunting at each other and hitting people that bother us is a "social construct".
    Yes, your point? Ethics are not a universal law, they very (often greatly) from group to group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, your point? Ethics are not a universal law, they very (often greatly) from group to group.
    Ethics is simply a way to distinguish the trust worthy, from those that aren’t. It’s not a law... it just explains the negative perception, when lack of ethics is on display. If you follow the unethical, you won’t break any laws, but you will be complaining about the result...

- - - Updated - - -

We need to fix the social order, where lying is no longer socially constructed as pejorative.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

More curious about your point - ethics are not a universal law: so what? Are you trying to imply that we should discard them because of that?

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    They are rounding up people by the droves now, which is excellent. The charges are pretty blasé though - nothing regarding any of the deaths or charges related. It's possible they are waiting on those more severe charges, which makes sense - no need to rush them once the terrorists have been arrested.
    I suspect they might be holding off to potentially stop Trump from issuing pardons for the more serious crimes. Wait until Biden is in, then drop the really serious stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    More curious about your point - ethics are not a universal law: so what? Are you trying to imply that we should discard them because of that?
    The argument is that what we accept in general as ethical, is a social construct, to imply there is a different way. It’s a strange spin on ‘greater good’ or downright arguing that corruption would be fine, if socially accepted it as a norm. Which is strange...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    I suspect they might be holding off to potentially stop Trump from issuing pardons for the more serious crimes. Wait until Biden is in, then drop the really serious stuff.
    That is also my suspicion. Better to wait until the Emperor with No Clothes is out and then get down to business with adults running the room.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    The argument is that what we accept in general as ethical, is a social construct, to imply there is a different way. It’s a strange spin on ‘greater good’ or downright arguing that corruption would be fine, if socially accepted it as a norm. Which is strange...
    A fool's errand to argue ethics with any such conservative. They can only formulate ethics as such;
    Ethics should encumber any minorities
    Ethics should grant me privileges.

See Justice Alito’s concurrence in Ricci.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    My point is that nothing is a "universal law". It's all social constructs. Every single thing about humanity that has allowed us to develop beyond living in caves and hiding from predators boils down to "social constructs". That something is a social construct does not mean it's less "real" than any other. Saying "but ethics is just a social construct" is no different than saying "but pedophilia is just a social construct". It isn't a defense of whatever you're trying to argue. Of course it's a social construct. So are laws about murder. So is the language we're using to discuss this. So is the concept of art. So? Why does that matter?

My point is that nothing is a "universal law". It's all social constructs. Every single thing about humanity that has allowed us to develop beyond living in caves and hiding from predators boils down to "social constructs". That something is a social construct does not mean it's less "real" than any other. Saying "but ethics is just a social construct" is no different than saying "but pedophilia is just a social construct". It isn't a defense of whatever you're trying to argue. Of course it's a social construct. So are laws about murder. So is the language we're using to discuss this. So is the concept of art. So? Why does that matter?
    It boils down to moral relativism, which any philosopher worth their salt will tell you is an absolute non-starter as far as a platform for debate is concerned. It attempts to argue from a stance of moral authority that, er, there are no moral authorities. It’s a completely self-defeating argument that some people desperately cling to to avoid actually having to face the shitty choices that they’ve made/supported.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post
    It boils down to moral relativism, which any philosopher worth their salt will tell you is an absolute non-starter as far as a platform for debate is concerned. It attempts to argue from a stance of moral authority that, er, there are no moral authorities. It’s a completely self-defeating argument that some people desperately cling to to avoid actually having to face the shitty choices that they’ve made/supported.
    Sounds like cognitive dissonance.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is on fire this week, calling for Sen Cruz and Hawley to resign. Stating that the Georgia elections proved that southern states aren't "red" states but in fact suppressed states. Her statements sound more and more statesman-like as she grows into her role.
    [S]he said that Democrats’ U.S. Senate wins in Georgia were a result of “multi-racial” and “multi-cultural” grassroots organization and a sign that “southern states are not red states, they are suppressed states. Which means the only way that our country’s going to heal is through the actual liberation of southern states,” she said. “The actual liberation of the poor, the actual liberation of working people from economic, social, and racial oppression. That’s the only way.
    Hard to disagree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is on fire this week, calling for Sen Cruz and Hawley to resign. Stating that the Georgia elections proved that southern states aren't "red" states but in fact suppressed states. Her statements sound more and more statesman-like as she grows into her role.

Hard to disagree.
    Cool, glad everyone is on message.

Even Manchin is on CNN calling for investigations into Cruz and Hawley. Remember all of 3 months ago when someone said they would be in a totally different party in Europe?

Funny how real life is different than twitter.
    Government Affiliated Snark

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Impeachment Vote in the House happening now.

GOP members are moral fucking cowards. Period. This is the vote that determines that line, forever recorded in history.

10+ Year Old Account

GOP members are moral fucking cowards. Period. This is the vote that determines that line, forever recorded in history.
    Seriously, the line is "do we want to retain an ineffectual and uncontrollable demagogue of a President for one extra week regardless of the horribly unethical and abusive things he's done, solely out of partisan gamesmanship, or do we want to pretend we have a fucking spine for once and take a stand on ethics? Literally any ethical code worth speaking of? Seriously, anything, this isn't hard."

They gain basically nothing of any value whatsoever for trying to prevent impeachment. It just ensures that everyone can forever see how utterly they've sold their souls.

Got 10 Republicans voting for this time. Given that the House seems to have a lot of Republican crazies at the moment, that's more than I was expecting. Might bode well for the Senate; if all Dems vote to convict, it'll require 16 (since Romney looks guaranteed) to secure conviction.

Murkowski seems virtually certain, for starters (15).