Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Well, Rudy the Leaky Lawyer got himself a $1.3B defamation lawsuit courtesy of Dominion. This is gonna be a fun week.
    Finally, Rudy will get the chance to prove widespread vote fraud in court! Dominion must be crazy to invite all the scrutiny that this case will bring.

/s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    Finally, Rudy will get the chance to prove widespread vote fraud in court!
    And by "chance" you of course mean "mandate". Subpoenas are great ways of ensuring people who are totally hyped about going to court, go to court.

10+ Year Old Account
    CNN: Senate Republicans just took 2 big hits to their 2022 chances
    Spoiler: 
    Just days into their newfound status as the minority party, Senate Republicans suffered two body blows that could badly complicate their chances of retaking control in 2022.

The first came Monday morning, with Ohio Republican Sen. Rob Portman's announcement that he would retire in 2022 rather than seek a third term.

"This is a tough time to be in public service," Portman said in announcing his decision. "For many of the issues I am most passionate about, I will continue to make a difference outside of the Senate, beyond 2022."

The Portman news comes hard on the heels of a major Republican recruiting setback over the weekend, when Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey told The New York Times he will not challenge Sen. Mark Kelly (D) next November.

"I'm not running for the United States Senate," Ducey told the Times. "It's a no. I'm 100 percent focused on being the governor of the state of Arizona. I've accepted the role as the chairman of the [Republican Governors Association]. So I've got a full-time job and then I've got a full-time job beyond that. And that's what my focus is."

Combine the two announcements, and the GOP's quest to retake the majority they lost when Democrats swept both Georgia runoffs earlier this month is off to a decidedly rocky start.

Let's take Portman first.

His retirement decision came as an absolute shock to political Washington -- although maybe it shouldn't have given the current state of the Republican Party.

Portman has been a stalwart member of the GOP establishment for decades. He served in the House from 1993 to 2005 and as the director of the Office of Management and Budget and US Trade Representative during George W. Bush's administration. He ran for Senate in 2010 and won handily; in 2016 he crushed former Gov. Ted Strickland by 19 points in what Democrats had hoped would be a serious race.

But during the Trump years, Portman's brand of pragmatic conservatism had fallen very much out of favor. And the Ohio Republican's discontent about the state of political affairs is written everywhere in his retirement announcement.

"I don't think any Senate office has been more successful in getting things done, but honestly, it has gotten harder and harder to break through the partisan gridlock and make progress on substantive policy, and that has contributed to my decision," said Portman.

His decision takes a seat that would have likely been of little concern for Republicans -- given Portman's demonstrated electoral successes and the state's clear GOP lean -- and puts it squarely in the potentially competitive category.

All eyes -- especially those in Washington -- will immediately turn to Rep. Jim Jordan, perhaps the most prominent supporter of ex-President Donald Trump's in the House and someone who would likely have considerable appeal in a Republican primary in the state. There will be plenty of other names mentioned -- Lt. Gov. Jon Husted and former state Treasurer Josh Mandel, to name two -- but much hinges on what Jordan decides.

If Jordan runs and wins the nomination, the seat becomes more imperiled for Republicans. While Ohio is clearly no longer the swing state that it was in the early 2000s -- Trump beat Joe Biden by 8 points there in 2020 -- there is still a path to Democrats winning statewide, as Sen. Sherrod Brown has proven.

And that path involves Republicans nominating a candidate that is too far to the ideological right -- allowing the Democratic nominee to co-opt the not-insignificant political center. Which, in theory, is exactly what might happen if Republicans nominate Jordan.

While there is still lots (and lots) we don't know about how the Ohio seat will shake out, what we do know is that the seat is considerably more vulnerable today than it was yesterday.

Now to Arizona.

Kelly's decisive win over appointed Sen. Martha McSally was in a special election last November, meaning that he has to run again for a full six-year term in November 2022. Which is no easy task, especially when you consider how competitive the state is at the federal level. (Biden beat Trump by less than 11,000 votes of out of more than 3.2 million cast.)

But Kelly is a formidable candidate -- particularly on the fundraising side, where he raked in more than $100 million in 2020. Beating him will be no easy task.

Especially when you consider that:
    1) The Republican bench in Arizona is surprisingly thin beyond Ducey.
    2) The state GOP is at war with itself -- with Trump favorite Kelli Ward being reelected as chair of the state party over the weekend and approving
    censures of Ducey as well as Cindy McCain.

The Republican nightmare scenario is if Ward becomes a candidate. Ward ran in a primary against Sen. John McCain in 2016 and challenged then-Sen. Jeff Flake (R) in 2018. (Flake eventually retired and Republicans chose McSally over Ward.)

Ward, like Jordan in Ohio, would likely start out as the favorite in a Republican primary due to her hard-line support of Trump. "The Arizona Legislature should DE-CERTIFY the false results of the 2020 election until at which time a full and thorough audit of the vote can be performed," the Arizona GOP's official Twitter account tweeted earlier this month. "Do it quick. Make Democrats lose their collective minds as they rage against transparency and integrity. Big win for AZ!"

But Ward as the Republican nominee against Kelly would be a massive problem for Republicans, likely costing them one of their few offensive opportunities on the 2022 map.

Yes, it's early to talk about how voters will feel come November 2022. But make no mistake: Portman's retirement and Ducey's no-go decision are twin body blows for Republicans in the Senate already reeling from what happened in Georgia.
    Last edited by PhaelixWW; 2021-01-25 at 06:36 PM.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...ter-bidens-win

And here we go, there's the backlash.

Once more, state-level Republicans are doing their level-best to limit access to voting ahead of the next election, reminded that they are a minority party with an unpopular platform that struggles to win free and fair elections.

Seriously, this Democratic Congress needs to take up campaign finance reform to make all this shit less appealing for Republican fuckery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Portman’s seat should be safe.
    Should it be, though?

Just because Portman won by a good margin back in 2016 doesn't mean his GoP successor will. We're talking about a Senator here and not a Representative. The other Senator from Ohio is a Democrat, after all, and was voted in by the same exact state population.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Can you blame them? They were blamed for making a fraudulent election, and their business is honest elections. It'd be the same if Giuliani had said "Ford pickup trucks don't start and sometimes explode".

I don't even think the discovery is needed. Giuliani/Powell said Dominion was hacked or broken and they had no proof. Dominion should win without showing them anything at all, since Giuliani has no facts or evidence to present that back his highly public record.
    Summary Judgment is an option here - Giuliani fulfilled all the requirements for false statements, and provided no proof, even when required from his legal filings. SJ is very rare is cases like this, but if there ever was a case that called for it....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Should it be, though?

Just because Portman won by a good margin back in 2016 doesn't mean his GoP successor will. We're talking about a Senator here and not a Representative. The other Senator from Ohio is a Democrat, after all, and was voted in by the same exact state population.
    They are talking about Gym Jordan possibly going for the primary nomination, and if that does happen, it might make the seat VERY vulnerable.

- - - Updated - - -

Portman’s seat should be safe. AZ is more questionable, but only slightly.
    Portman will be interesting because of Gym Jordan. AZ seat, with Kelly running, will of course be a fight - but I like that he's in there now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess. With how hard they went for Trump I’m still not optimistic. Hopefully they prove me wrong.
    I don't disagree. I think the GoP candidate will probably be the favorite; I just don't think I'd say it should be considered "safe".

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Wtf Australia, is that just a sausage in a slice of plain white bread?

Looks like English cuisine never left them...
    If it were english cuisine the sausage would be boiled :P

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Should it be, though?

Gym Jordan = seat def not safe. Kasich = seat probably safe. Though it's an off year election with a Democrat as president, which does effect democrat turnout, so right now I'm going with too early to tell. Either way you're correct, not safe in light of the current political landscape.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Portman will be interesting because of Gym Jordan. AZ seat, with Kelly running, will of course be a fight - but I like that he's in there now.
    Possibly not, the GoP in AZ is right essentially completely fractured between trumpism and those who want the party to go back to before trumpism. Things aren't looking good for the AZ GoP party right now, never thought I'd see it but GoP really screwed the pooch in that state, and instead of learning, they're doubling down.
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2021-01-26 at 04:35 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Gym Jordan = seat def not safe. Kasich = seat probably safe. Though it's an off year election with a Democrat as president, which does effect democrat turnout, so right now I'm going with too early to tell. Either way you're correct, not safe in light of the current political landscape.
    Agreed. Gym Jordan will make an Ohio Senate race very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Possibly not, the GoP in AZ is right essentially completely fractured between trumpism and those who want the party to go back to before trumpism. Things aren't looking good for the AZ GoP party right now, never thought I'd see it but GoP really screwed the pooch in that state, and instead of learning, they're doubling down.
    AZ getting easier would be terrific. Kelly seems pretty solid overall. Going to be tough to unseat even in the best of times.

He is pushing hard as well to be a 3rd guy to get sued by Dominion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    He is pushing hard as well to be a 3rd guy to get sued by Dominion.
    He had a dream, that one day, boys and girls of all races, creed or economic standing... would bow down before Trump, as he institutes Marshall Law and places the country under the firm grip of Trumpism.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    As an Englishman, who the fuck boils a sausage?!
    The same kinda freaks who steam a steak?

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    The same kinda freaks who steam a steak?
    Everyone knows you boil steak in milk.

It'd be the same if Giuliani had said "Ford pickup trucks don't start and sometimes explode".
    When I was in college a friend had a ford explorer. She'd named it the "exploder." It was a piece of shit that finally died when something went wrong with the electronics and it burnt to a cinder in the middle of an intersection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    When I was in college a friend had a ford explorer. She'd named it the "exploder." It was a piece of shit that finally died when something went wrong with the electronics and it burnt to a cinder in the middle of an intersection.
    I had a friend in college who also had a ford explorer he called "The Exploder," ....it's life ended in a similar situation, not burnt to cinders, but it did completely crap out in the middle of an intersection after a loud pop, smoking like crazy but no fire. He had it back up and running a few days later.

His pillows aren't even comfortable.

I used to sell them at bed bath & beyond. It's like sleeping on a bag of less noisy packing peanuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

On a related note, apparently what ended the fight with McConnell over the filibuster was when Manchin and another Democrat gave a verbal promise that they wouldn't vote to remove it. Basically making sure that they either must go back on their word or guarantee that nothing gets done unless the Republicans want it, will of the people be damned.

We already have seen just how little the Republicans give a crap when in power about any of that, goes to show where these guys really are too. Unless they lied and intend to vote to remove it if need be at which point they are proven as dishonest as the GOP in that act, putting us in a no win situation.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    On a related note, apparently what ended the fight with McConnell over the filibuster was when Manchin and another Democrat gave a verbal promise that they wouldn't vote to remove it. Basically making sure that they either must go back on their word or guarantee that nothing gets done unless the Republicans want it, will of the people be damned.

We already have seen just how little the Republicans give a crap when in power about any of that, goes to show where these guys really are too. Unless they lied and intend to vote to remove it if need be at which point they are proven as dishonest as the GOP in that act, putting us in a no win situation.
    They did qualify their statements with a “unless the GOP acts obstructionist” at which time the vote can be revisited. It’s a sword of Damocles. Probably more effective that way too, republicans really need to pick their battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    They did qualify their statements with a “unless the GOP acts obstructionist” at which time the vote can be revisited. It’s a sword of Damocles. Probably more effective that way too, republicans really need to pick their battles.
    So they won't remove the filibuster - unless the GOP uses the filibuster?