Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d00mh4cker View Post
    Isnt the game dead though? What's left is raid loggers and some players chasing rank 14.

It's like 40 min que to BGs, zero people dueling outside cities, no one even cares anymore to world pvp, ally and horde just running pass eachother focusing on farming herbs and what not. Leveling is a desert.

Idk, feels dead.
    No. But hey, nice shitpost.

of course you're not being as many people leveling as you did the first month. But given the dozens of people in front of the IF bank... oh why am I bothering? You either don't play or you're trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    (Made up numbers just for an example)

Let's say 10 million players played during the first month, then every month 1 million players left, Now 8 months in 8 million players have left, But the game still has 2 million left out of the 10 million it started out with.

Now 2 Million is still a whole lot of players, But in perspective, 8 Million players left the game. This is what people meant by "just nostalgia" and "everyone's gonna quit when they remember how bad the game is" the 8 million fall into those 2 quotes.

and again, Just made up numbers, But i hope they gave you some perspective into, that just because it looks like there is a lot of players still in the game, does not mean that most people who did try out classic diden't also leave after a month or 2

10+ Year Old Account
    If I had to guess classic has about 500k loyal players which is very successful for a game that requires very little Dev time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Logs aren't really a good statistic to go off of, largely because raiding isn't as big a focus in Retail as it is in Classic, where it's nearly the only thing to do after a bit. On top of that, I'd wager a lot more Classic pugs are successful, and therefore logged and uploaded, compared to Retail,
    There's over 17.000 individual guilds that have killed Nefarian in Classic, if one includes Chinese guilds,, the figures I posted earlier did not include the Chinese, nor did they account for pugs and there many pug raids on retails that clear the content in many ways similar to LFR.

I can easily imagine over 1 million active classic players. Retail wise? I don't know, only that there's fewer players in raidings guilds, far fewer.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2020-04-14 at 10:10 PM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    So, where are all these doomsayers now? From the moment Classic was announced, there was just a constant deluge of shitposters and doomsayers around here proclaiming that it's "just nostalgia", "dead in X weeks/months", "everyone's gonna quit when they remember how bad the game is", etc. etc.

8 months in and servers are having 2+ hour queues to get in. Even the "medium" population servers are still very lively, with main cities being packed full of players during primetime. I'm on a Medium server and right now Orgrimmar is so full it's making my FPS drop to 30.

So much for "UHHH IT'S JUST NOSTALGIA, EVERYONE'S GONNA QUIT, DEAD IN 2 WEEKS"
    Well from my friend who stopped retail to go to classic, he stopped after about a month because it was getting nearly impossible to find level 60 dungeon groups in a reasonable time. He did notice activity dipping after a few weeks, but most definitely after two months he said there wasn't many people compared to the first weeks. Of course it's anecdotal, but my other friends who play classic have similar stories, but they raid so they are still a bit more active.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    If I had to guess classic has about 500k loyal players which is very successful for a game that requires very little Dev time.
    I get what you are trying to say, but it was a huge undertaking to get old WoW working properly on the new Bnet infrastructure. Yes they didn't have to build a gsme from scratch, but very little dev time is disingenuous at best.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    You need to remember that the most played raid difficulty, LFR, is pretty much never logged.
    And ot everyone/guild logs in Normal or Heroic. I'm not sure when they started but I don't ever recall logging.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    (Made up numbers just for an example)

Let's say 10 million players played during the first month, then every month 1 million players left, Now 8 months in 8 million players have left, But the game still has 2 million left out of the 10 million it started out with.

Now 2 Million is still a whole lot of players, But in perspective, 8 Million players left the game. This is what people meant by "just nostalgia" and "everyone's gonna quit when they remember how bad the game is" the 8 million fall into those 2 quotes.

and again, Just made up numbers, But i hope they gave you some perspective into, that just because it looks like there is a lot of players still in the game, does not mean that most people who did try out classic diden't also leave after a month or 2
    I always believed the vast majority who logged on to Classic went there to relive some nostalgia or went to see what it was all about since they missed out. We all knew it would start off with a bang because of nostalgia. We also knew it would die down rather quickly and be left with the PS folks, the ones didn't want to do a PS, and a core who really prefer vanilla.

We will never know the real numbers, log sites, census sites, and the like are never accurate. But who cares really? It gets people paying to play which helps out both versions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still a ton less dev time than an actual WoW expansion. They likely had 2-3m subs when it launched easy and it dropped after that but seemed kinda slow. They have already made their money on it for sure. Now they are just raking in probably 100m a year for almost nothing.

It's not even out in its entirety yet, and we're in the middle of a pandemic. Of course it wasn't going to be dead within 2 weeks, nor will it probably ever be dead. How populated will the servers be 6 months beyond Naxx release? Nobody can say, and nobody will be able to. TBC will roll around.

But hey, don't let that get in the way of the typical cognitive dissonance that Classic fans tend to deal with, where BfA's far more numerous and higher capacity servers at Full/High (60+ in EU alone) somehow spell "dead gaem" whilst Classic's servers somehow hold 10 million players out of 11 or so...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-04-14 at 10:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardoc View Post
    Almost a year after release and Classic haters are still mad and trying to shill that Classic is dead, stupid and nobody really likes it. I have never seen people more pathetic than Classic haters. You are literally mad that someone is enjoying a game you don't like.
    Wreaks of irony considering how much Classic players need to make threads talking about how awesome Classic and and how live sucks...don't see tons of Classic suck threads like you do Live sucks. You also don't see people needing to lie about how great Classic is...still see people trying to claim Classic is harder than Live

Also I asked where are all of these people who claimed Classic had millions of subs...that it would destroy Live and never lose any subs...they're all quiet I noticed.

It went excatly how everyone expected. Big peak at start and then decline until we have low population of fans who keep playing it.

Salty Feline Overlord Beerbill Society's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    Counterpoint: Where are all the naysayers that said Classic would overtake and kill retail? Checkmate.
    I guess you missed the new expansion where you go back to 60 and get you classic spells back... Oh dont forget bringing back all nostalgia bosses, retail is now a classic spin-off ur welcome.

"... And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." - Ezekiel 25:17

"My name is Legion: for we are many." - Mark 5:9
    My characters :3

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    It's VASTLY above. Compare the number of servers they expected to start with, and the percentage of players they expected to be left with.
    They were so idiotically stingy on servers at the beginning because they didn't think people would keep playing longer than one month, and didn't want to release lots of servers that would end up empty and require a fall-back plan.
    In the end they needed FIVE TIMES the number of servers they planned initially, and EIGHT MONTHS LATER these servers are nearly all still at healthy population number (and many are still horribly overcrowded).

If that's what you call "not above expectation", I don't know what to tell you.
    While i agreed that they probably underestimated the demand at launch (as you conveniently cut out). I really don't think they were that stingy on the servers. As you said yourself: their plan was always to roll out more servers as needed, instead of risking having to many and having to deal with that. so i don't think it's fair to say they needed 5 times the servers they expected.

And ofc right now all servers show healthy population, new content has just released.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerbill Society View Post
    I guess you missed the new expansion where you go back to 60 and get you classic spells back... Oh dont forget bringing back all nostalgia bosses, retail is now a classic spin-off ur welcome.
    All those things were in the works before Classic came out, such as feedback on Class design and a level squish. Also, SL classes will not by any stretch play like they do on Classic. In fact, most players seem to want a return to WOTLK or MoP class gameplay.

Just as a counterweight.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-04-14 at 11:26 PM.

Salty Feline Overlord Beerbill Society's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    All those things were in the works before Classic came out, such as feedback on Class design and a level squish. Also, SL classes will not by any stretch play like they do on Classic. In fact, most players seem to want a return to WOTLK or MoP class gameplay.

Just as a counterweight.
    Classic was on the work for 3 years and they have been hyping ever since. How far back you want to go?

Just the fact that they 180 from BFA is a wake up call that retail was dying.

"... And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." - Ezekiel 25:17

"My name is Legion: for we are many." - Mark 5:9
    My characters :3

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    I dont get your logic with alts,you are always ''missing out on gold'' if you dont play alts...how is it any different in classic?you still can only have 2 proffesions and its not like in wod anymore with insane mission table gold,whats even the problem?ofc people put in more time and resources in the game will have more gold,also...if you think alts are the best way to make gold you are very wrong,boosting is the best,you can make milions upon milions daily
    Boosting requires a willing and capable group, not everybody has access to it. I'm not sure about Classic, but in Vanilla there were no repeatable quests or content designed at earning gold. Playing an alt was not only a time-consuming venture, but in many cases meant you had to stop progressing/gathering on your main - because characters were not maxed out in a week or two TBC was much better thanks to flying and daily quests you could gather much more efficiently and go back to caring about your main (which was easier to graduate from daily grind for gear than in Vanilla) relatively quick. If you think that alting nowadays and alting before WLK are in any way similar, you've obviously not played WoW back then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    i mean... that's good right? cause right after that you say: [...]

you can say the same about MC/BWL attunements and a lot of TBC attunements in particular.
    Well, MC/BWL attunements were something you were doing anyway. TBC attunements actually felt epic in their scale. Yes, they were time-consuming and tedious, I also agree that a big part of each consisted of things you'd do anyway, but their scale and that each and every one of them offered you a chance of upgrade made the entire process feel epic. Compare the MoP/BfA ones to this. Not very interesting at all.

I've just gone through the Suramar attunement quests and... I have to say I was wrong about them. They weren't too bad, actually! Not as good as the TBC ones, but certainly more adjusted to the modern community.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    depends how strict your definition is. you can go all the way from "quest that reward a literal key to open the door" to "a flag on your account". or if you think the words attunement and unlock are synonymous enough, you can go all the way to thinks like essences, neck level, world quests, etc being in a similar vein.

like you may not have to attune yourself to instances on retail, but there sure is a lot of stuff you have to unlock on each individual character before it's "ready".

but i still think it's just the evolution of attunements. just like quest have evolved over the years, dungeons have evolved, etc. A lot of features of the game have changed so dramatically over the years that they are only comparable on a very basic level.

and ultimately: while i like the idea of (old style) attunements, the realist in me knows how big player turnover is in guilds and how big a pain of the ass it would be to constantly have to do them for new members. and i'm sure that sentiment will become prominent again once TBC classic comes around.
    Gearing up is neither attuning nor unlocking.

I don't agree with your opinion, but it's perfectly fine. Let's just agree to disagree

there are definitely parts of classic that people were right about. mostly the RPG elements and the fact that modern WoW is basically a menu simulator filled with heaps of corrosive mobile-tier gameplay
    but theres also a lot about classic that is incredibly outdated and unfun. mostly the class gameplay and level of grind required to get to end-game with some gear

so its not really so black and white. I think based on shadowlands blizz realize that they were wrong about some things anyway and are bringing back certain elements from classic

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    It's VASTLY above. Compare the number of servers they expected to start with, and the percentage of players they expected to be left with.
    They were so idiotically stingy on servers at the beginning because they didn't think people would keep playing longer than one month, and didn't want to release lots of servers that would end up empty and require a fall-back plan.
    In the end they needed FIVE TIMES the number of servers they planned initially, and EIGHT MONTHS LATER these servers are nearly all still at healthy population number (and many are still horribly overcrowded).

If that's what you call "not above expectation", I don't know what to tell you.
    You and I have had our words about this in the past but let's be realistic: Even if Blizzard was too conservative with their initial estimates of Classic's popularity, I don't think anybody could have predicted the unprecedented situation we're in as a society right now and the tertiary side effects it's had on the video game industry as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Less people did BWL than MC - facts. You can choose whatever excuse you want really.
    I understand reading can be hard for some people, but atleast give it a try before you start spewing random retardation all over the place? Like the government legit full on pranked you, there is no Corona, they just want YOU specifically, to stay away from other people, because they are pretty sure you reached a level of retardation where it became contagious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    You and I have had our words about this in the past but let's be realistic: Even if Blizzard was too conservative with their initial estimates of Classic's popularity, I don't think anybody could have predicted the unprecedented situation we're in as a society right now and the tertiary side effects it's had on the video game industry as a whole.
    Don't forget ZG released like, today as well. New content always brings players back in droves... for like a few month. They had to come back to get prepped for ZG a little bit. And now it's out, and it'll be cleared in like two hours by any raiding guild that can clear Lucifron. People will get bored of ZG even faster than MC, the new and shiny of Classic has worn off.

It's kind of pointless trying for us to try to argue with Classic fanboys though, so we're both wasting our breath. They'll never believe Classic doesn't have over 2 million players all the time because XYZ reason that doesn't actually show us anything plausible about population numbers.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2020-04-15 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Most people did quit tho...
    No they didn't.

Don't talk out of your ass. Just be a man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    It's kinda funny when you think about it, by the time of cataclysm, 90% of the people who tried wow had quit.
    Erm, not sure if this is sarcasm or not because internet. Cata started at the highest WoW had ever been at, about 12.5 Million, and ended around 10 million. A sizeable loss in subscribers for sure, but no where near 90%.