Thread: DPS as resto

DPS as resto

In a Mythic+, what is considered good DPS as resto?

I did my first +10 today. Tried out catweaving and managed 10k overall DPS.

Currently ilvl 445, with ilvl 71 neck and lvl 1 cape (just came back to game)

I still find it hard to bounce back and forth from DPS to healing while keeping everybody alive.

Given my gear and current mythic+ level, should I be avaraging more DPS?

Largely depends on the group's competency at not taking avoidable damage. If you have to keep popping out of cat form to keep people from dying your DPS is inevitably going to suffer. There's absolutely nothing you can do in that situation, keeping people alive takes priority over squeezing out more damage.

At your gear level 10k is pretty decent. Things that can help boost it are:

- Get some Azerite pieces with High Noon. Even with the nerf it's still good for extra AoE damage and you're only really looking for Grove tending + Rampant growth as core resto traits
    - If possible aim for some damage corruptions like TD/TA etc. It's basically free damage for no real effort.
    - Consider shifting points away from mastery if you're not going to be heavy healing. Mastery is the go to stat for heavy healing but provides absolutely nothing for DPS while crit/haste/vers do.
    - Choose a DPS based essence as your major, either Crucible or Formless Void (the latter when you have someone in the group with Focussing Iris major)

For the most part if you're pugging the expectations that healers pump out max DPS is actually relatively low. I've had shitty remarks from people a few times but I honestly can't recall the last time anyone criticised me for not doing enough DPS as a healer.
    Last edited by Great Destiny Man; 2020-05-25 at 11:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole idea of healers needing to do DPS is suspect IMO.

Keep the group alive, and you've done your job.

In many cases, healers try to do irrelevant DPS, and the only thing they accomplish is wasting GCDs when they should have been throwing out more pre-emptive HoTs instead.

If you are sitting there doing nothing, toss out some sunfire and moonfire.

If the group actually needs healer DPS to get the job done, then it's a terrible group. Focus on your job.

Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post

In many cases, healers try to do irrelevant DPS, and the only thing they accomplish is wasting GCDs when they should have been throwing out more pre-emptive HoTs instead.

If the group actually needs healer DPS to get the job done, then it's a terrible group. Focus on your job.
    healer dps is ESSENTIAL in high keys,and you can dish out some really amazing dps as a healer with the right setup,also you arent waisting gcds if you know whats going on and when unavoidable dmg is going to come and you get ready for it

a healer that simply ''focuses on their job'' is just doing it wrong,raids same thing,as a resto shaman depending on the fight i spend more time doing dmg than actualy healing

What? A healer SHOULD be dpsing when they dont need to heal. So the paladins bursting like 400k dps should just stop and stand there cuz ME HEALER. Get real, healing has evolved past stand there and cast a holy shock or rejuv every once in awhile.

Id kick any healer not dpsing during low damage periods.

Edit- forgot to actually respond to the op. 10k is fine at your ilvl atleast your trying. In higher keys you should always be looking for times to dps as it helps the group out instead of just standing there being a useless pile of garbage like the poster i replied too.
    Last edited by Caerrona; 2020-06-03 at 03:56 AM.

If you've ran the M+ dungeon enough times you know when and where damage is coming from. Prehotting for the sake of it is a waste of time and mana.

Also if you believe healer DPS irrelevant frankly you haven't played at high enough level of difficulty of content to understand its impact.

I've always wondered what makes people make this type of post. It's completely uninformed and all it really accomplishes is spreading misinformation. Like if you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about why would you go through the trouble of replying to the question? If someone asks about theoretical physics or quantum mechanics would you respond to them as well despite knowing nothing on the subject? Genuinely curious, as it really makes absolutely no sense to me.

As for the question your DPS is gonna vary a lot based on the dungeon and group you're with. If your group is taking unnecessary damage that's gonna hurt your DPS, if you have 3 DHs that require next to no healing that's gonna help you DPS. Also some dungeons are way better than others as a healer, some dungeons have basically no AoE damage and you can just hot the tank and then DPS for 10 seconds, while others have quite a lot of damage especially if interrupts are lacking.

10k DPS seems decent overall though, do a few more and keep trying it and you'll get a much better feel for when it's safe to focus on damage and when you have to sit back and heal instead. You'll notice a big improvement to as you get closer to 475 ilvl and start to get the proper secondary stats, because I imagine at 451 ilvl your stats are far from ideal.

As a Resto Druid doing +19/20 atm with 475 gear I average about 15-20k dps per M+
    This is largely due to the unpredictable nature of pugs, and you’ll probably find there is always at least one member of your group who can’t avoid as much damage as they should be.
    As frustrating as it is to get to the end of a dungeon and feel like you haven’t done enough, your job is to heal. If you feel like your damage is low at the end then it is more likely because your group didn’t allow you to. I play with a dps meter, heal meter, and a damage taken meter, and I usually find when I’ve had a dungeon with low damage that there is at least one player(that isn’t the tank) who has taken exceptionally high damage throughout the dungeon.

Keep doing what your doing though dude. Practice makes perfect!