Question A Couple N00b Questions

Hey, friends!

I hope this post finds you all keeping safe and healthy! I'm eager to learn from your wisdom when it comes to this awesome game. I'm wondering...

(1) Is there any content (past, present or future) that is "unfeasible" for a healer to do? Worded another way: is there any content that is really intended for DPS-only specs? A friend of mine mentioned things such as Horrific Visions and the upcoming Torghast (?) feature in Shadowlands as possible answers to this question but they weren't entirely sure.

(2) This is super subjective and related to my first question: how many specs do you folx play per character? I ask, because I was imagining myself making a druid for healing (so they'd only be resto) and a hunter for BM (strictly DPS obviously). One Alliance and one Horde. I really like the idea of having each one of my characters focus on only one spec/role, for reasons related to both fantasy and practicality (time, keybinds, gearing, etc). However, healing is my favorite and if there is some content that really requires a DPS spec then it might make more sense to make a druid and shaman (instead of hunter) so that way I can have them both be resto/X. If I need a DPS spec anyway, might as well create two "hybrids" so that I can heal on both. I hope this makes sense, lol.

Any and all input would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for your time. =)
    Last edited by OwlEyes; 2020-04-15 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OwlEyes View Post
    Hey, friends!

I hope this post finds you all keeping safe and healthy! I'm eager to learn from your wisdom when it comes to this awesome game. I'm wondering...

(1) Is there any content (past, present or future) that is "unfeasible" for a healer to do? Worded another way: is there any content that is really intended for DPS-only specs? A friend of mine mentioned things such as Horrific Visions and the upcoming Torghast (?) feature in Shadowlands as possible answers to this question but they weren't entirely sure.

(2) This is super subjective and related to my first question: how many specs do you folx play per character? I ask, because I was imagining myself making a druid for healing (so they'd only be resto) and a hunter for BM (strictly DPS obviously). One Alliance and one Horde. I really like the idea of having each one of my characters focus on only one spec, for reasons related to both fantasy and practicality (time, keybinds, gearing, etc). However, healing is my favorite and if there is some content that really requires a DPS spec then it might make more sense to make a druid and shaman (instead of hunter) so that way I can have them both be resto/X. If I need a DPS spec anyway, might as well create two "hybrids" so that I can heal on both. I hope this makes sense, lol.

Any and all input would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for your time. =)
    Answers as this'll get locked since "What do I play" threads aren't allowed:

1.) There is no "strictly DPS" content right now. Visions are easier for some DPS specs but pretty much any healer can solo them as well. Some heal specs have an easier time than others, most notably Holy Paladins which are almost entirely broken for most forms of content currently. I'd imagine there will be a similar paradigm in SL but with the class overhauls still in their early stages it's hard to say which specs will perform best. If I were a betting man, I'd wager H-Pal remaining strong.

2.) Play what you want, not what's meta. The issue with rolling a meta class is that often times the meta shifts throughout the expansion and if you roll a FotM spec/class for the first patch you might be greatly disappointed come the final patch (see: SPriest in BoD/EP vs SPriest today). Druid is a pretty all-around good pick so if you like that flexibility I'd say go for it. Shamans tend to be Blizzard's red-headed stepchild so I'd caution against rolling one but if you like the playstyle have fun.

Welcome!

So, past content can all almost be solo'd by any spec/class combination you may want to do. Thanks to being much higher level, it's all relatively a breeze to do with the exception of Legion expansion raids which still might require a small group to do. It is a social game, and it's easy enough to find help for such things.

As far as current content goes, most content is doable by a healing spec and that which isn't is capable of being done by a small group. Admittedly, we don't know about future content like Torghast due to the fact that it's a completely new system and we can't gauge that kind of thing until we have a chance to thoroughly play test it all. That said, there is a likely chance that it'll be able to be completed by healers.

If you want to just play one spec each, that's totally feasible for most content in the game. The only time it's really going to be a problem is if you're a raiding at a very high level or pushing higher level M+ content. The expectations for what people play does change when you get into that territory but by that time you'll be far more confident in your own abilities and understanding of the game.

All of that said, if you love playing healers then you really won't have a problem finding groups to do content. Healers are always high in demand.

I hope that answers your questions, feel free to PM any questions you have. A lot of free time on here lately lol.

Take care!

Quote Originally Posted by OwlEyes View Post
    SNIP
    1 - Not to change what you are saying but you are basically asking about the solo-ability of a class/spec. IE how well does this class complete content by themselves. This isn't a specific healers/dps/tank question as some specs from each of the roles named are better at soloing regardless of their role. Holy Paly's are notoriously good, Resto Shaman early this expansion and last expansion pretty much did more damage than their Elemental counterparts in short fights. For Shadowlands coming up this is a hard question to answer, Holy Paly will likely remain OP, but classes are getting access to a bunch of different skills they haven't, so you may come out finding Resto Druid as OP. Generally Druids have always been a decently strong Solo class.

2 - You mention Hybrids and I want to latch onto that a bit. Hybrids technically don't exist anymore, some classes are innately better at doing both damage and healing, but when you pick a spec you are essentially locked in to always being better at that specs main role. It isn't like the skill tree days when you could split your skill among 2 trees and be pretty good at both.
    That being said, I generally keep my multispeccing to the same main stat. Example being I have 2 max level Shaman, one is permanently Enhance (Agility based), while the other I gear between Elemental and Resto (Intelligence based). A lot of gear is dual stated now, so it will have either Agi/Str or Int on it depending on your spec so it isn't 100% necessary, but I'm an old head from back when your only choice was to have an Alt or spend thousands of gold respeccing.