Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should Anima Powers Reset?

Should Anima powers reset every 6... or maybe 12 levels? It keeps it manageable, more exciting when you get a new one and means you can change your build up more frequently making the gameplay more varied and without it becoming totally degenerate. Thoughts?

No that means what’s the point of picking things with synergy you my friend are the reason systems like this need to exist

Quote Originally Posted by GucciWarr View Post
    No that means what’s the point of picking things with synergy you my friend are the reason systems like this need to exist
    Well the thing is that 12 levels is around 36ish anima powers according to what kubit said to towellie today (2-3 per floor) which seems more than enough to make a build with enough synergy. But then once you start stacking powers into 80, 100, 150 like then it's not even meaningful choices - it's just stuff upon stuff.

Alterrax, the anima powers are taking inspiration from Rogue-like, which I am super excited for, especially since it's also not timed. Some of the fun of Rogue-likes, specifically stuff like "Enter the Gungeon," "Risk of Rain/2" and "Binding of Isaac" is the wacky amount of power and synergies that can build up or happen when effect A interracts with effect G. If it kept resetting, you completely remove that type of fun.

Absolutely not. As long as they scale the mobs well with the power creep as you ascend, you need the added power.

If you want to vary game play, quit your tower and restart. Get your new powers that way.

Because when your powers reset, you would need to reset difficulty. Otherwise it would be like saying they should drop everyone back to fresh 120 gear with every new raid tier so every drop feels exciting. That would be a horrible idea.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The anima powers should be a bit less frequent IMO and or scaled back in power some.

From what I saw the starting portion of Torghast seems far more difficult than the middle and end sections. People just scale out of control and the tower doesn't scale aggressively enough to match it. Keep in mind that in this genre of game, it's perfectly fine for you to be blessed with good buffs in the early to mid game that essentially carry your ass forever. The issue however is that this should be relatively rare, and even in these games the scaling of the mobs starts to become equally as dumb.

Balance is probably the last thing to be worried about at the moment. The whole point of the genre however is it's infinite, random, scaling difficulty and promotion of synergy with the upgrades you choose. The core concepts are there, but many of those concepts need proper tuning in the long run.

Resetting your powers just completely destroys the concept. It's obvious the balance isn't there yet though, and that's okay considering the feature was just showcased recently.

Quote Originally Posted by spalernTJ View Post
    Alterrax, the anima powers are taking inspiration from Rogue-like, which I am super excited for, especially since it's also not timed. Some of the fun of Rogue-likes, specifically stuff like "Enter the Gungeon," "Risk of Rain/2" and "Binding of Isaac" is the wacky amount of power and synergies that can build up or happen when effect A interracts with effect G. If it kept resetting, you completely remove that type of fun.
    On this note, an example is the Mage ability that removes the Blink cooldowns and the ability that insta-kills Mawrats when you Blink through them and the ability to make Mawrats explode when they die. That sounds like ridiculous stupid fun.

We need that kind of silliness and fun in game. Just plain fun is something that WoW has been missing for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    The anima powers should be a bit less frequent IMO and or scaled back in power some.

From what I saw the starting portion of Torghast seems far more difficult than the middle and end sections. People just scale out of control and the tower doesn't scale aggressively enough to match it. Keep in mind that in this genre of game, it's perfectly fine for you to be blessed with good buffs in the early to mid game that essentially carry your ass forever. The issue however is that this should be relatively rare, and even in these games the scaling of the mobs starts to become equally as dumb.

Balance is probably the last thing to be worried about at the moment. The whole point of the genre however is it's infinite, random, scaling difficulty and promotion of synergy with the upgrades you choose. The core concepts are there, but many of those concepts need proper tuning in the long run.
    The answer there is to make the floors scale better. Not to remove the powers. As long as the mobs are dangerous enough, let us become stupid OP for a brief period of time.

They’ve said in the dev interview on the front page the plan is for you to get only a few per floor and that the uncommon and rare ones will be less common than they are on alpha.

Anima powers are there to help you with higher lvls ! if they reset then they should reset the power of mobs aswell,yesterday on asmon stream he queued for hc version he started at 25 floor with 0 anima powers and couldnt kill the first 2 mobs !

Quote Originally Posted by Sallador View Post
    They’ve said in the dev interview on the front page the plan is for you to get only a few per floor and that the uncommon and rare ones will be less common than they are on alpha.
    Then they really need to add a safe feature to pause your run, as that would slow down the already quite long runs even further.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Siaer View Post
    Fucking woe is us being excited about something huh? When did this place turn into a cesspool of 100% negativity?
    Im just salty no one cares about soulbinds as much as i do.
    Is the most interesting thing ever to me.
    Not for anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Not for anyone else
    Soulbinds aren't really available yet. You're a bit early in your complaints.

Torghast is looking swell in the meantime. Clearly power gain is a bit to fast right now, but they kinda need to test that kind of thing right now, so that's fine.

You are why we can’t have nice things.....

I imagine the crazy anima powers will be limited to 1-2 per floor while stuff like X% increase to Y stat is more common we don’t know it’s alpha

but again the point is

GO CRAZY!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Not for anyone else
    Because
    1. We got data mined preview not testable ones
    2. We don’t have access to the conduits
    3. Can’t test them

You are essentially complaining about the covenant campaign for ardenweald at this point

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Then they really need to add a safe feature to pause your run, as that would slow down the already quite long runs even further.
    Dude....it’s been like a week give it more time

7+ Year Old Account
    Not for anyone else
    You are comparing apples to oranges.

Torghast is one of the expansions main features, already available and it's very well received so far.
    Soulbinds are passive skill trees, that aren't even on the alpha yet.

No fucking shit no one talks about them.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post

Resetting your powers just completely destroys the concept. It's obvious the balance isn't there yet though, and that's okay considering the feature was just showcased recently.
    No no no it’s needs to be 100% balanced on day one of testing

I’m interested in the “balanced per spec” aspect

Quote Originally Posted by Thagrynor View Post
    On this note, an example is the Mage ability that removes the Blink cooldowns and the ability that insta-kills Mawrats when you Blink through them and the ability to make Mawrats explode when they die. That sounds like ridiculous stupid fun.
    I haven't taken much of a look at the powers themselves, since I do enjoy exploring new expansions - But yes, that is exactly what WoW could use, and those kinds of synergies sounds super fun. If Torghast really does turn into something really, I wouldn't mind seeing it become a permanent feature.

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    Dude....it’s been like a week give it more time
    That is conceptual stuff. A safe feature or one to carry (some) progress over is kinda basic when it comes to rogue-likes.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Who cares about Torgasfarts
    People should be more worried about soulbinds...but no...no one cares about the crap soulbinds presented to us so far.
    Ill never understand MMO-C...we are never in sync...im always against the tide.
    We haven't even datamined the class soulbinds yet, and the rest is just datamined AKA the soulbinds system isn't even testable. What do you want us to say, "Man, fuck Blizzard for adding this BAD system that we have no idea how it'll work just because."

Quote Originally Posted by Alterrax View Post
    Should Anima powers reset every 6... or maybe 12 levels? It keeps it manageable, more exciting when you get a new one and means you can change your build up more frequently making the gameplay more varied and without it becoming totally degenerate. Thoughts?
    Absolutely not. The point here is that you're getting stronger and stronger, while the enemies are also getting stronger and stronger, even more so than yourself. This way you can do some crazy thing that you can usually never do, while also fighting stronger enemies.

Resetting your powers every few levels will keep the difficulty constant and it will just more feel like a basic and tedious grind where floor 2 feels like floor 30.

Terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    That is conceptual stuff. A safe feature or one to carry (some) progress over is kinda basic when it comes to rogue-likes.
    That's kinda in the loot, though. Especially the legendaries. Powers are from the ground up designed as temporary, per-run boosts.