Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    If a normal player cannot get as much gold as the prices driven by the AHlords they'll start to be unable to buy stuff like consumables or tokens.
    The answer to too high prices for consumables has always been "just farm it yourself". If prices are too high you can benefit too, farm a bit more and sell leftovers.

Have some alchemy Alt and invest the time to get Rank 3 and later Silas' vial. I never had to pay for my pots and flasks because I bought herbs from the AH, made a ton of stuff, sold 90% of stuff for 100% of herb cost on the AH.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    The answer to too high prices for consumables has always been "just farm it yourself".
    It starts being ridiculous though when you need to spend more time farming than the time raiding / doing m+ that consumes said items. Especially when herbs are scoured to the ground by roaming bands of multiboxers, often cross realm so herbs they picked won't even land on your AH.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    It starts being ridiculous though when you need to spend more time farming than the time raiding / doing m+ that consumes said items. Especially when herbs are scoured to the ground by roaming bands of multiboxers, often cross realm so herbs they picked won't even land on your AH.
    Basically. It's not a matter of farm less/more, or prices being too high. I agree that all prices just bloated due to insane influx of gold from WoD days and new ways to generate it - if anything, stuff like the Longboi is good for burning out excess gold, as the token is.

My main is herb/alch. Exactly for the reason i just farm the stuff i need for the week and be done with it. If i get something in excess, i sell. If i don't raid, i farm and sell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    The answer to too high prices for consumables has always been "just farm it yourself". If prices are too high you can benefit too, farm a bit more and sell leftovers.

Have some alchemy Alt and invest the time to get Rank 3 and later Silas' vial. I never had to pay for my pots and flasks because I bought herbs from the AH, made a ton of stuff, sold 90% of stuff for 100% of herb cost on the AH.
    Not my point.

It's a general issue we could have in SL. Lots of the gold is generated through raw gold farming. AH is just movign gold from player A to player B, some is lost in the transaction but it's just pennies.

Right now bloated prices are sustained by people having lots of gold - a small part having way more than the standard player, and those are usually the ones who play/dominate the AH. Nothing strange. Point is, if prices are dictated by people who have no gold issues, but majority of players have or will have gold issues, either prices start to fall down to a new standard or the whole AH things stops working.

Realistically, it's not gonna be an issue. But we're likely to have a very rough start of the expansion.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Probally a mixture of things. End if expac, less guilds raiding so less being bought in terms of raid consumables. Other markets will still be profitable but require more time investment to get the right items, such as battle pets and transmog. Should pick up once again when shadowlands releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Basically. It's not a matter of farm less/more, or prices being too high. I agree that all prices just bloated due to insane influx of gold from WoD days and new ways to generate it - if anything, stuff like the Longboi is good for burning out excess gold, as the token is.

My main is herb/alch. Exactly for the reason i just farm the stuff i need for the week and be done with it. If i get something in excess, i sell. If i don't raid, i farm and sell.

- - - Updated - - -

Not my point.

It's a general issue we could have in SL. Lots of the gold is generated through raw gold farming. AH is just movign gold from player A to player B, some is lost in the transaction but it's just pennies.

Right now bloated prices are sustained by people having lots of gold - a small part having way more than the standard player, and those are usually the ones who play/dominate the AH. Nothing strange. Point is, if prices are dictated by people who have no gold issues, but majority of players have or will have gold issues, either prices start to fall down to a new standard or the whole AH things stops working.

Realistically, it's not gonna be an issue. But we're likely to have a very rough start of the expansion.
    The long-boy isn't a very good way of burning off excess gold, though.

I've been saying this since the end of WoD, if they really wanted to burn off the gold of the folks with massive bankrolls then they need some sort of system like the Empowered Rifts in D3. It needs to be repeatable, percentage based, and increased by difficulty of content. That's the only way to pull some of the gold out of the inflated system. Gold sinks like the mount aren't very effective because they're a one-time purchase, so you end up with enough players who still have millions of gold left over and then even more players who now have even less gold because they worked hard just to earn the 5 million, further increasing the gap.

I'm not sure what sort of system they could add that would work like the D3 Empowered Rifts, but it'd be the best way to fix some of the gold inflation. Whether it's letting you reroll a mythic key (with the cost increasing based on the key level), increasing item drops from bosses/quality of item drops, or letting you reroll a WF/TF proc, some sort of repeatable cost that helps with progression is the most effective way to pull gold out of the system.

So, is it a market crash cause you are reselling things and got gold invested you can't get back or just a lower demand leading to lower prices and therefore your stuff sells less?
    Cause i don't think that situation is a crash. Just a lul at expansion end that balances the boom at expansion launch.

I really don't care if resellers crash. It would be a good situation for most players. This isn't the stock market afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    The long-boy isn't a very good way of burning off excess gold, though.

I've been saying this since the end of WoD, if they really wanted to burn off the gold of the folks with massive bankrolls then they need some sort of system like the Empowered Rifts in D3. It needs to be repeatable, percentage based, and increased by difficulty of content. That's the only way to pull some of the gold out of the inflated system. Gold sinks like the mount aren't very effective because they're a one-time purchase, so you end up with enough players who still have millions of gold left over and then even more players who now have even less gold because they worked hard just to earn the 5 million, further increasing the gap.

I'm not sure what sort of system they could add that would work like the D3 Empowered Rifts, but it'd be the best way to fix some of the gold inflation. Whether it's letting you reroll a mythic key (with the cost increasing based on the key level), increasing item drops from bosses/quality of item drops, or letting you reroll a WF/TF proc, some sort of repeatable cost that helps with progression is the most effective way to pull gold out of the system.
    Tbh they could introduce that with Torghast since runs beyond your simple 10 floor legendary runs are purely for cosmetics. Sacrifice gold for 1 extra cosmetic item in the end if you succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    Makes sense, but i'm afraid of any gold-based system that's just tied to any kind of progression. You definitely don't want to make players with a lot of gold to be able to do stuff like rerolling an item for best procs, cause it will just end with some people having "infinite rerolls" and majority "not even able to try it".

I can see this as something like a mini solo dungeon you pay hefty gold to access (with steady increase in price) you can run to get cosmetic stuff/toys/xmogs. Make it low chance enough to make the burn real if that's the goal. It's still something only few people and botters will partake on, but it won't have impact on the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trinkie View Post
    Tbh they could introduce that with Torghast since runs beyond your simple 10 floor legendary runs are purely for cosmetics. Sacrifice gold for 1 extra cosmetic item in the end if you succeed.
    Yeah, could make sense.

I wonder though if something like this would make up for a heavy resurgence of bots since while rich people will burn their gold, most people would likley buy gold from third party sites to get the things "done faster" (even if they have no relevance in player power, but we all know how majority of community plays).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.