Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    The Departed VS Infernal Affairs

    I never hated a movie so much like "The Departed"

    The main reason is because it was insanely praised by the media...when is complete garbage compared to the original.

    1)
    Original: the main character communicates with the only police officer who knows he is the mole via morse code.
    Adaptation: Just uses a phone, pepega style

    2)
    Original: The "antagonist mole" is NEVER made a fool by the movie director. NEVER! He is made a genius and perfect in every way...he is like Kira in the anime Death note. Methodical, smart.
    He is only made a fool ONCE and when it happens, the movie audience is supposed to find it extremely satisfying...because FINALLY he "loses" in something.
    Adaptation: ROFLMAO, the antagonist mole is a complete fool. He is made fun in the entire movie...the main character even sleeps with his girl!!!!!
    What in the actual F***! Even his body language in the movie is of a wimp. An absolute loser.
    I have no idea what the movie director was thinking here!

    3)
    Original: The ending makes you cry and "Kira" (lets call him that) wins the game
    Adaptation Both lose...double KO...both die...the most crap ending on the universe. Why? Just WHY? A cop...a cop kills the absolute wimp of an antagonist, Hitman-Assassin style.

    ------

    Im sorry...but i have to say this..."if you prefer The Departed to Infernal Affairs...you simply have bad taste in movies"
    Im so sorry but i get really heated on this topic.
    I never hated a movie so much

    Oscar for best Adaptation btw...
    Last edited by Shadoowpunk; 2020-04-20 at 02:49 AM.

  2. #2
    Pandaren Monk Ayirasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CA, USA
    Posts
    1,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Adaptation: ROFLMAO, the antagonist mole is a complete fool. He is made fun in the entire movie...the main character even sleeps with his girl!!!!!
    What in the actual F***! Even his body language in the movie is of a wimp. An absolute loser.
    I have no idea what the movie director was thinking here!
    And his wiener doesn't work, meaning his girl's baby likely isn't his. Spoilers.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    And his wiener doesn't work, meaning his girl's baby likely isn't his. Spoilers.
    What? Seriously? Now i hate the movie even more!
    I forgot about that

  4. #4
    Pandaren Monk Ayirasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CA, USA
    Posts
    1,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    What? Seriously? Now i hate the movie even more!
    I forgot about that
    Yeah! It was a brief scene after Matt can't perform and Vera tries to talk about it and comfort him. Yadda yadda, she bangs Leo, shows Matt the ultrasound photo, and half the theater and I were all "Oooooooh".
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

  5. #5
    I liked The Departed better. /shrug
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Are these resisters actually contributing to our country and paying their taxes? Or are they freeloading?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    2)
    Original: The "antagonist mole" is NEVER made a fool by the movie director. NEVER! He is made a genius and perfect in every way...he is like Kira in the anime Death note. Methodical, smart.
    He is only made a fool ONCE and when it happens, the movie audience is supposed to find it extremely satisfying...because FINALLY he "loses" in something.
    Adaptation: ROFLMAO, the antagonist mole is a complete fool. He is made fun in the entire movie...the main character even sleeps with his girl!!!!!
    What in the actual F***! Even his body language in the movie is of a wimp. An absolute loser.
    I have no idea what the movie director was thinking here!
    In what way was Matt Damons character made a fool apart from Leo "sleeping with his girl" which he didnt know was his girl.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    In what way was Matt Damons character made a fool apart from Leo "sleeping with his girl" which he didnt know was his girl.
    Ill need to rewatch the movie...i downloaded it just now...but i refuse to watch that abomination of a movie again.
    It was his body language, how he is treated by others around him and...his penis not working (which i forgot and Ayirasi reminded me)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Ill need to rewatch the movie...i downloaded it just now...but i refuse to watch that abomination of a movie.
    It was his body language, how he is treated by others around him and...his penis not working (which i forgot and Ayirasi reminded me)
    Ok well body language is pretty vague. Hes pretty cocky/arrogant inside the force and around other cops. He even tells Jack nicholsons character what to do and that pisses him off

    He makes fun of officers in uniform "did you wear that in poland?". And gets a hot chick as a girlfriend pretty quick by smooth talking her so even if he does have dick problems he wasnt lacking confidence. I dont see how they made him a fool. He plays it pretty well and doesnt really fuck up at all like his madman boss.

    So I dont see how he was made a fool or a wimp.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

  9. #9
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    20,394
    I saw Infernal Affairs and loved it when it first came out. It remains high on my list of films because it's very well done and holy fuck that cast.

    That said, I think the Departed was a great movie, as well, and this is coming from someone who dislikes DiCaprio and loathes Marky Mark. I don't think a straight comparison is fair because while the Departed was obviously heavily based on Infernal Affairs, it's not a straight remake. It's also not exactly a super unique plot in the first place and is full of common crime tropes. Some things are different because they are supposed to be. I don't think that makes the adaptation shitty, and definitely not worthy of the level of ire you have towards it. If you strong dislike it compared to the original, fine, but there are a lot of much, much, much, much worse movies out there that are definitely deserving of way more scorn than this one.

    (also, this is kinda a bizarre discussion topic now to bring up for movies that are like 15+ years old at this point)

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaArleeVenara

    | youtube | twitch | twitter |


  10. #10
    My only problem with the movie was that it is Scorcese's only Best Picture Oscar, and this is maybe his 5th best movie.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Ok well body language is pretty vague. Hes pretty cocky/arrogant inside the force and around other cops. He even tells Jack nicholsons character what to do and that pisses him off

    He makes fun of officers in uniform "did you wear that in poland?". And gets a hot chick as a girlfriend pretty quick by smooth talking her so even if he does have dick problems he wasnt lacking confidence. I dont see how they made him a fool. He plays it pretty well and doesnt really fuck up at all like his madman boss.

    So I dont see how he was made a fool or a wimp.
    Please dont make me watch this movie again...you would effectively be torturing me from the other side of the planet (>_<) i dont think i can do it

    But, imo, changing the script of the original quickly jumps to the eye (for a person who watched the original)
    So...they made the script change of his girl cheating on him with the main character. Major...and why? What purpose?
    Not only did they sleep...he gave her a baby...
    And on top of that...his PP doesnt work...again...why beat on the blind man?

    At this point the antagonist is a clown to the audience.

    And then they kill the antagonist...

    In my country...we call that "why beat on the blind man"

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I saw Infernal Affairs and loved it when it first came out. It remains high on my list of films because it's very well done and holy fuck that cast.

    That said, I think the Departed was a great movie, as well, and this is coming from someone who dislikes DiCaprio and loathes Marky Mark. I don't think a straight comparison is fair because while the Departed was obviously heavily based on Infernal Affairs, it's not a straight remake. It's also not exactly a super unique plot in the first place and is full of common crime tropes. Some things are different because they are supposed to be. I don't think that makes the adaptation shitty, and definitely not worthy of the level of ire you have towards it. If you strong dislike it compared to the original, fine, but there are a lot of much, much, much, much worse movies out there that are definitely deserving of way more scorn than this one.

    (also, this is kinda a bizarre discussion topic now to bring up for movies that are like 15+ years old at this point)
    I agree the ONLY reason why i hate it is because of the original.
    And because it received many oscars.

    Im basically a salt factory because of it.

    The movie is probably good...but my brain...is tainted by the original.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Please dont make me watch this movie again...you would effectively be torturing me from the other side of the planet (>_<) i dont think i can do it

    But, imo, changing the script of the original quickly jumps to the eye (for a person who watched the original)
    So...they made the script change of his girl cheating on him with the main character. Major...and why? What purpose?
    Not only did they sleep...he gave her a baby...
    And on top of that...his PP doesnt work...again...why beat on the blind man?

    At this point the antagonist is a clown to the audience.

    And then they kill the antagonist...

    In my country...we call that "why beat on the blind man"
    Well I agree the love triangle part is the weaker aspect of the movie. But im pretty sure "attractive people make love eyes at each other" is in every contract of a film so it gets made by the overlords who finance the thing.

    I dont think it makes it a terrible film at all. Its always boring when characters are one dimensional. Hes a genius, handsome dude making loads of money by being a rat for a top gangster. If that means he also has dick troubles then im all for it. I like three dimensional characters.

    I thought they handled his character very well. Its hard to make that role believable but you can believe matt Damon as a rat working as a Boston cop.

    Also like for like remakes are dull, you want changes.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    (also, this is kinda a bizarre discussion topic now to bring up for movies that are like 15+ years old at this point)
    My main takeaway here.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    My main takeaway here.
    Im a walking salt factory, forever scarred by this.
    It made me hate "The Oscars" to this very day.

    I guess...i can hold grudges like no one else :S
    Probably need help (^_^)

  15. #15
    Immortal jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    7,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Im basically a salt factory.
    Fixed that for you.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Ouch...i felt that...unnecessary bro but i take it like a man!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Im a walking salt factory, forever scarred by this.
    It made me hate "The Oscars" to this very day.

    I guess...i can hold grudges like no one else :S
    Probably need help (^_^)
    Iv never actually seen "Infernal Affairs", but I did enjoy "The Departed" well enough. I do see your point though. Making Damon impotent and an unknowing Cuck is a huge "F U" to the character. Compounded by the fact that DiCaprio is some washed out, drop out, con, and HE is more appealing that the straight laced, hard working, "good guy".
    Go ahead and put "Infernal Affairs" on my lockdown watchlist.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Iv never actually seen "Infernal Affairs", but I did enjoy "The Departed" well enough. I do see your point though. Making Damon impotent and an unknowing Cuck is a huge "F U" to the character. Compounded by the fact that DiCaprio is some washed out, drop out, con, and HE is more appealing that the straight laced, hard working, "good guy".
    Go ahead and put "Infernal Affairs" on my lockdown watchlist.
    I only realized today because of what Tziva said...im 100% incapable of judging the departed for what it is.
    My brain cant do it because im tainted by the original to the point of bringing up negative emotions that rule over any critical judgement.

    Im sorry

    Heck, maybe the same will happen to you with Infernal Affairs Will you be able to separate the 2 and be 100% critical without emotions on the mix?

  19. #19
    IA by a mile.

    I wanted to like The Departed. But I just...ugh.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonbrown View Post
    My only problem with the movie was that it is Scorcese's only Best Picture Oscar, and this is maybe his 5th best movie.
    Don't forget the horrible Boston accents.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •