Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephire View Post
    I might be wrong but I feel like you missed the point of OP.

OP stated s/he likes transmog. It's about the current highest gear being more distinct and more inspiering for other players to hunt.

I can toally get behind Mythic/Elite gear having a special effect only when current, no transmog option. If you want that look, you'd have to do the most difficult things in the game (excluding LFR N'zoth). When a new tier's released then the effect moves to that set of gear.

It's cool to see people with top gear. I would not mind it at all. Then again I'm doing the hardest content in a casual way.

It also makes sense that the highest iLvL possible is showing just that since TF/WF are gone and we're back to static iLvL.

I do miss the awe when you saw someone with high end gear, was distinct and epic. It was visibly clear. With recolours it's not that clear.

OP: do you mean that someone with high end gear would have the "glow" even in some other transmog? That'd be pretty cool as well, like, running around in T2 with an effect showing you're wrecking latest content. I'd support that.

Wouldn't that just increase the boosting service? You'd by the achi just to have the effect. I mean, I'm not against the idea I just think it would not work very well due to the boosting community and just charter to the rich.
    I doubt that would really help too much with the OP's actual problem that they mention there. Namely, they want to recreate the feeling of just being much much better than others and feeling their awe and envy. And that actually has two components of sorts:
    1) Current best gear looks great and desirable while being special
    2) Not current best gear doesn't look great and desirable
    You can see that in the OP as well. There, he doesn't just complain about current best gear being a bit lacklustre, but also about those not having it being able to look badass, there not being a clear visual distinction between "good" and "bad" players.

It is the latter part in particular that isn't coming back. In Vanilla, there simply was a world of a difference between someone wearing a coherent set of awesome tier armor and someone in disparate dungeon blues. That is what allowed people to really show off, simply because there was this gulf and it relied less on subjectivity. If you had your full T1 set while others ran around in some mix and match of greens, most people would have agreed that you look better.
    Today though, even if your rogue is rocking some new mythic Shadowlands set with some swirly effects that are unique to then current expansion high end items, you won't garner that much attention and people like the OP won't get that feeling of superiority out of it. That's because even 'scrubs' in green questing gear are able to mog badass older sets over it which still look good. And said 'scrubs' might not even be impressed by that super duper gear because, well, to them it might not even look better. They have like 30+ raid and pvp sets alone to choose from, and say the Nighthold Rogue set might just look better to them than the new hotness.
    Heck, OP himself might find himself liking the look of an older set more than the sparkly new thing.

And that's why just adding some flourish to current top gear will not really bring back that distinction between 'nerd and scrub'. It simply can't. Because it recreating that can't work by giving new shiny toys to 'nerds', unless Blizz finds a way to make new stuff the most awesome stuff ever to a massive degree - and restricts it 'nerds' only. It could only truly work by taking away the ability for 'scrubs' to look badass. I doubt anything short of making current non-cutting edge gear not be eligible to transmog over while looking mediocre itself would resolve that imho, and that won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Transmog changed everything

It made everyone beautiful.
    You cant have the current best tier set...but who cares when you can have 999 other beatiful sets.

Raiding would need a "new" thing to make them superiror to others. To have a better social status.
    Beauty is in the Eye of the beholder.
    You can either Care for the Recognition, or the Looks you like.
    Without Transmog you just would not have the Choice.

Also, Raiding has its "Thing". You get Mounts, and Achievments.

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    Beauty is in the Eye of the beholder.
    You can either Care for the Recognition, or the Looks you like.
    Without Transmog you just would not have the Choice.

Also, Raiding has its "Thing". You get Mounts, and Achievments.
    Oh im pretty sure i can come up with something would make every "nerd" on planet earth feel envy.
    Thats pretty easy

Nerds are simple creatures.

(mounts and achieves suck compared to what i can come up with. And Blizzard could come up with something even better than me, lol)

Nothing can be done, because the raiding and t-mog is fine just what it is.

If you need to feel superior(which for me is fine thing to do in this game), you can get mythic gear/mythic mounts/high ilvl gear from raids/M+15.

Transmog changed everything

It made everyone beautiful.
    You cant have the current best tier set...but who cares when you can have 999 other beatiful sets.

Raiding would need a "new" thing to make them superiror to others. To have a better social status.
    Raiding already have a "new" thing to make them superior to other, to had social status

Those things are : Limited mount(Heroic mount only available when the raid is current), Achievements, Title, Feat of Strenght, Mythic-only mount, Mythic only set)
    It was never about "pretty" set, it was about the prestige of the set. Don't say AQ40 sets were pretty.

People who want to show off their ingame achievement via their "Current tier set" still can.
    People who don't care can transmog them in another thing.

And Mythic-set already have glow, unique aura, whatever. So you can definitely show off those.

For your case, perhaps you doing heroic raid don't deserve such thing and accept the fact that you're a wow-pleb who doesn't deserve prestige. Like the vast majority of us

Quote Originally Posted by vexxan View Post
    Hey!

Ok, I don't want this to be a rant post about transmogging. I do really love the concept, and I want it to stay, however...

I used to be a quite active raider in the early days of WoW. I'm almost ashamed of admitting it, but the thrill of "hunting" the perfect items was what drove me. The mere feeling of walking around in Ironforge, decked in AQ40 gear while scrubs kneeled at you was f*cking amazing. That was one of the most important things of raiding for me, cool items. Tier gear was something special. It made people go, "wow, he's a really good raider" (or maybe "he's a fucking idiot spending all that time on WoW", but still), which I really miss.

These days people can just transmog the last years fashion and look pumped. And since most gear looks cool, everyone looks the same – nerd and scrub.

So – what can be done?

My suggestion is that the current expansions raid gear gets a special look. Maybe a glowing light, some blood dripping or W/E. When ever it's not the current tier gear anymore the effects dissapear (so it does not work for transmog).

This would, atleast for me, give back the desire to hunt items again. Stats are important, but it doesn't create the same "must have" feeling that cool looks do.

Do you agree?

/vexxan
    Play rated PvP and get elite sets, tabards, enchants and mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwarth View Post
    Those things are : Limited mount(Heroic mount only available when the raid is current), Achievements, Title, Feat of Strenght, Mythic-only mount, Mythic only set)
    Your list made me fall asleep.
    You failed game designer school and you are an awful Blizzard developer
    you are fired!

For your case, perhaps you doing heroic raid don't deserve such thing and accept the fact that you're a wow-pleb who doesn't deserve prestige. Like the vast majority of us
    I only reached 1800 rating once in BfA
    I never in my life did Heroic raiding

I dont feel suicidal if i dont have all the special things ingame

BUT

I believe in motivational nerd boosters
    Things that can give you motivation to tackle harder content...and i believe the BEST thing is social status rewards.
    The Nuclear Bomb of bombs

In my eyes 1800 rating and Heroic raiding are that sweeeeeeet sweet sweet spot where you only need to commit yourself a little tiny bit to be able to get it.
    The sweet spot for a nerd to get off his/her lazy ass and actually do something
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2020-04-21 at 09:26 AM.

you are fired!

BUT

Things that can give you motivation to tackle harder content...and i believe the BEST thing is social status rewards.

In my eyes 1800 rating and Heroic raiding are that sweeeeeeet sweet sweet spot where you only need to commit yourself a little tiny bit to be able to get it.
    Why do you deserve anything if you cant even get aotc?
    Why do you think people should be rewarded for "slightly less lazy"?

you are fired!

BUT

So, you want a Participation Badge for doing Heroic, Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    Why do you think people should be rewarded for "slightly less lazy"?
    I personally think is the sweet spot because i wouldnt like to be a bad "king" (game designer) to my people (gamers in general)

You would be surprised if you actually knew the number of people who does Heroic raiding.
    If i remember correctly...only about 10% of the entire population does Heroic raiding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    So, you want a Participation Badge for doing Heroic, Got it.
    I think only about 10% of ENTIRE population does Heroic. Or is able to complete heroic.
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2020-04-21 at 09:37 AM.

BUT

Then you're just wrong
    There's no prestige in being #2, there's no prestige in being middle of the pack. In game or IRL.

Aotc if roughly 30% of people. There's 0 prestige in that. (Near 40% got Azshara HC)

And you not liking prestige reward doesn't mean there aren't one.
    Excuse me but high end tier set weren't that good-looking or enticing either.

EDIT : Source for t he 30% : https://www.worldofwargraphs.com/glo...ategory-15271#
    Thanks fellow poster

I personally think is the sweet spot because i wouldnt like to be a bad "king" (game designer) to my people (gamers in general)

You would be surprised if you actually knew the number of people who does Heroic raiding.
    If i remember correctly...only about 10% of the entire population does Heroic raiding.

- - - Updated - - -

I think only about 10% of ENTIRE population does Heroic.
    Then why should people who don't raid get epic transmog with unique effects and glows and auras and a title that says "bow to me for i am your god".

They clearly don't care about putting in time or effort, why do they deserve the same rewards as elitepussyslayer69 that clears mythic raid week 1 or 2?

You say you can't even clear heroic so you shouldn't get the upgraded appearances from mythic until you can solo it.

EDIT : Source for t he 30% : https://www.worldofwargraphs.com/glo...ategory-15271#
    Thanks fellow poster
    I have no idea what im looking at.
    What raid tier was the current at that time and what was the name of the achieve

I don't think players are as shallow these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    People saying he should go for mythic raiding sets. Those are still obtainable later as a soloer,they don't take them out from the game.
    Correct. but you'll be one of the significantly fewer people who can actually use that appearence because...you have it. While it's relevant. That someone else can use it 1-2 expansions later because they pug'd it is just salt. Who cares if it isn't relevant when it's about status.

I have no idea what im looking at.
    What raid tier was the current at that time and what was the name of the achieve
    Ahead of the Curve : Bossname is for killing HC bosses when they was current
    Cutting Edge : Bossname is for killing Mythic bosses when they was current

"Current" meaning their patches and not their xpack. So 40% killed Azshara HC during 8.2

People really find it hard to understand that everyone has different motivations for raiding or doing other kinds of challenging content. I never really did it for the gear, but when I started playing more in BC (took a 2 year break in Vanilla-BC) I definitely found it cool that people had things I couldn't access and things (titles, mounts and tier sets) that motivated me to progress.

Not everyone has to feel the same way, and I am kind of sad that this aspect of the game is no longer considered "okay" by a large part of the community.

Ahead of the Curve : Bossname is for killing HC bosses when they was current
    Cutting Edge : Bossname is for killing Mythic bosses when they was current

"Current" meaning their patches and not their xpack. So 40% killed Azshara HC during 8.2
    Tha hell? Thats completely different from the data of siege of orgrimmar...how is that even possible?

Are you sure this is reliable data?
    Heroic EP is almsot the achieve most people in WoW have?

Noobs and pros alike?
    Are you insane in the membrane?
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2020-04-21 at 09:57 AM.

Thanks for lots of great replies!

I totally accept all of your opinions – but for me mythic gear is nothing but a recolor, not very exciting. It's not gear that makes you go "oh I need to push myself and spend several hours/week to get that special item". It's more like (again, for me); another color palette and more stats – ok, nice.

/vexxan
    Mythic gear literally has bigger models and glowy or moving bits..

Hey!

Ok, I don't want this to be a rant post about transmogging. I do really love the concept, and I want it to stay, however...

I used to be a quite active raider in the early days of WoW. I'm almost ashamed of admitting it, but the thrill of "hunting" the perfect items was what drove me. The mere feeling of walking around in Ironforge, decked in AQ40 gear while scrubs kneeled at you was f*cking amazing. That was one of the most important things of raiding for me, cool items. Tier gear was something special. It made people go, "wow, he's a really good raider" (or maybe "he's a fucking idiot spending all that time on WoW", but still), which I really miss.

These days people can just transmog the last years fashion and look pumped. And since most gear looks cool, everyone looks the same – nerd and scrub.

So – what can be done?

My suggestion is that the current expansions raid gear gets a special look. Maybe a glowing light, some blood dripping or W/E. When ever it's not the current tier gear anymore the effects dissapear (so it does not work for transmog).

This would, atleast for me, give back the desire to hunt items again. Stats are important, but it doesn't create the same "must have" feeling that cool looks do.

Do you agree?

/vexxan
    people didnt look at the gear and go "oh the gear is amazing" but rather "oh, the dude cleared the current raid" we still have that now with titles and achievments that comes only from current mythic raid so... what exactly it killed? the need to be dressed in ugly gear just bcs it have nice stats?
    Last edited by Lolites; 2020-04-21 at 10:01 AM.