N'Zoth Mind Phase Path

So I'm a tank, have AOTC but still somewhat new to the expansion as I just joined 6 weeks ago. Every time I join a pug, there are problems with the mind phase, and I wanted to know if I'm doing something wrong or it's just the usual thing with pug dps being shitters.

The first mind phase is fine - some dps complain about the path I take but it works pyschus dies and everyone moves on. There's enough wiggle room with that phase that it's fine.

In the second phase, I follow the path I used when I got AOTC. I run to where pyschus is coming at us, kill the tentacle right next to N'Zoth, wait for anguish, move forward to the next near tentacle, then sweep around and come back, so kind of fish hook shape. Every time I do it, I get comments from DPS "wtf is this path" "why don't you just do it the normal way" etc. And just like shit pug dps everywhere, they are reluctant to explain what they mean by "the normal way", and when pressed many will give different answers for "the normal way". As the tank I'm the target for everything that goes wrong, and when dps doesn't kill a tentacle in time and anguish takes over the room, it gets worse.

My question is, is there some standard route that everyone is taking that's different from mine? I've heard people suggest just going all the way around, starting on the outside and working in, some people go left instead of right, etc. I've looked at probably 10 heroic kills vids on youtube and probably seen 6 different routes. I don't care - it's not rocket science and it seems like there are numerous options - but would make my life a lot easier if there was some route everyone could agree is the best one.
    Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    I don't really hate bfa, outside of the extreme rng and crap systems and garbage gameplay

Fish hook shape is standard for hc, gives you the 6-7 debuffs you need an allows ranged to turret for 3-4 of the synapses without having to chase psychus around.

100% is the normal/standard/widely used AND Most important *MOST EFFICIENT* Path... especially for under-geared players. Anyone that tells you anything else is trolling or doesn't know any better.

It's the DPS' Job to be in the right spot, especially during the first time (with the fire circles). The only way the tank messes up is move too early for anguish drop (and kills the raid) or kite the wrong way to allow stacks to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    So I'm a tank, have AOTC but still somewhat new to the expansion as I just joined 6 weeks ago. Every time I join a pug, there are problems with the mind phase, and I wanted to know if I'm doing something wrong or it's just the usual thing with pug dps being shitters.

The first mind phase is fine - some dps complain about the path I take but it works pyschus dies and everyone moves on. There's enough wiggle room with that phase that it's fine.

In the second phase, I follow the path I used when I got AOTC. I run to where pyschus is coming at us, kill the tentacle right next to N'Zoth, wait for anguish, move forward to the next near tentacle, then sweep around and come back, so kind of fish hook shape. Every time I do it, I get comments from DPS "wtf is this path" "why don't you just do it the normal way" etc. And just like shit pug dps everywhere, they are reluctant to explain what they mean by "the normal way", and when pressed many will give different answers for "the normal way". As the tank I'm the target for everything that goes wrong, and when dps doesn't kill a tentacle in time and anguish takes over the room, it gets worse.

My question is, is there some standard route that everyone is taking that's different from mine? I've heard people suggest just going all the way around, starting on the outside and working in, some people go left instead of right, etc. I've looked at probably 10 heroic kills vids on youtube and probably seen 6 different routes. I don't care - it's not rocket science and it seems like there are numerous options - but would make my life a lot easier if there was some route everyone could agree is the best one.
    this is why so many players avoid playing tanks in pugs like the plague...make any mistake,or do anything that isnt perfectly optimal or simply PERCEIVE as being wrong/not optimal...and they will crucify you,its literaly why i stoped playing my alt tank,healing is so chill even if you dont play optimaly as long as no1 dies you are fine,heck even if someone dies it can easily be blamed on them somehow lel

That sounds like the normal path we use for Heroic. I legitimately have no idea what any other "Normal Route" could be, if you're doing the "Fish Hook" route. As the poater above me said, just sounds like a case of PuG DPS not actually knowing what they're talking about, and is also why I no longer tank for PuGs since personal loot launched and I can just collect tank gear in DPS spec.
    so Warlords of Draenor is /'woɹː.loɹːdz ʌv 'ɖɹæːn.oɹː/.
    I've always loved how in an attempt to make pronunciation through text easier to understand people have created a seemingly alien cypher for which few people without a degree related to language would ever been able to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    this is why so many players avoid playing tanks in pugs like the plague...make any mistake,or do anything that isnt perfectly optimal or simply PERCEIVE as being wrong/not optimal...and they will crucify you,its literaly why i stoped playing my alt tank,healing is so chill even if you dont play optimaly as long as no1 dies you are fine,heck even if someone dies it can easily be blamed on them somehow lel
    It's much more of a problem in the first group that goes down. I got kicked from a group once for following the same path as this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsv68vb2oQw

(Starts at 2:41)

I place the first creeping anguish a bit closer to N'Zoth and further from the second tentacle to try to give the group more time. But what tends to happen is that the group doesn't kill the second tentacle quickly enough and the creeping anguish overwhelms it, then the dps say I don't know the route and demand I get kicked. I guess it's the same lesson you always learn in pugs - the loud dps are morons.
    Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    I don't really hate bfa, outside of the extreme rng and crap systems and garbage gameplay

If you have a ranged heavy comp going down, that is literally the only time you should give a rats ass about the pathing. Melee can obliterate tentacles and Psychus no matter what path you take, but in a ranged heavy comp you want to take a path where they have to move the least amount. If a melee ever complains to you about the pathing laugh in their face, if a ranged does then actually listen to them.

But honestly, it's not mythic. It's heroic. If Psychus dies no one should be complaining you don't need to min max it much at all these days.

I've done it so as a tank that boss is kited in a full circle (in full guild group) and with the other guild as DPS when they use the fishhook shape. Personally I myself prefer the full circle way.
    (You can even look at Vex when people are surprised that Vex can be tanked by one tank while other deals with adds )
    As long as the next tentacle gets marked with skull, then it would be clear (even to those who are used the other way) which to kill next. Sad fact is that pug leaders do not give assist to tanks these days
    DPSers in pugs seem to be hard of reading/listening most of the time, even the concept of skull or tanks target it bit too much for them. And yes, tanks and healers are blamed for everything, guess that's where it comes handy in having AotC as well as decent gear - you can pick any group and hope for a better group next turn.
    Mari GM of Punished (EU, social raiding group/guild)
    Màri member of Gullible Mutineers (EU social raiding guild)

Moderator of R & D | Youtube