Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I would have favored a hard quarantine, separating healthy from innocent with watchful eyes for anytime someone showed signs of infection. I would have been transparent about it, explaining to residents what we were doing and why. Would my way have worked? Who knows, but it would have the advantage of keeping Uther and Jaina engaged on my side.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Thank you for the intelligent response. There is far too many "lol x did nothing wrong XD" people about nowadays. His decision would have been a lot more agreeable if he had exhausted all options or at least debated with himself of what to do, he didn't.
    Yes to both of you. He might even have asked infected citizens to step up for mercy killings - as quick and painless as could be arranged - so they did not spread the disease.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Might have been better if they did something to check if the people were even infected first, instead of assuming all of them had consumed the grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Terongor View Post
    With that logic you could argue sargeras is a good guy as he knew the threat void possessed and legion and purging to whole cosmos was the best out of all bad solutions there were.

Meaning Ner'zhul and arthas supported indirectly what void lords were doing in the great dark beyond.
    yes,from his perspective sargeras was going the right thing for himself and his kind,trying to stop the very posible destruction of himself and the titans if a dark titan ever come to be,its like humans killing rats that spread the plague,also nerzhul and arthas were facing the treaths directly in front of them,they didnt know about void lords,and even if they did...its not the old gods and void that was the DIRECT imediat enemy to their existance,it was the legion

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Ah, this question again. Yes, Arthas was correct. Had they not been proactive about Stratholme there'd have been a major zombie army on their lands. It's just that without the support of Uther and Jaina Arthas got stuck in revenge-mode, which is why the Northrend campaign happened. Or even if they'd have gone to Northrend regardless, again, Arthas would've had his closest people there for him to counterbalance all the craziness. Probably more forces too, since in this scenario the campaign wouldn't be hampered by opposition from Uther and Terenas.
    No, Arthas was not correct. He made the decision on incomplete information for the wrong reason. The fact a positive result occurred was lucky(almost as if the writers knew it wasn't time for him to be a full villain yet.) It's using the exact same logic that makes people lose all their money gambling. That being just because a positive result was attained you made a correct decision. What Arthas did was wrong. Regardless of the results his decision is wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    No, Arthas was not correct. He made the decision on incomplete information for the wrong reason. The fact a positive result occurred was lucky(almost as if the writers knew it wasn't time for him to be a full villain yet.) It's using the exact same logic that makes people lose all their money gambling. That being just because a positive result was attained you made a correct decision. What Arthas did was wrong. Regardless of the results his decision is wrong.
    Stratholme was the definition of morally grey, there probably was no right answer to Stratholme......was there even time enough to sort and quarantine? What I can say is what happened after Stratholme wasn't the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    Stratholme was the definition of morally grey, there probably was no right answer to Stratholme......was there even time enough to sort and quarantine? What I can say is what happened after Stratholme wasn't the right thing.
    Given how Malganis and his forces were already rampaging across the city and turning people into undead as Arthas entered it, No, there was not enough time for a quarantine.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Given how Malganis and his forces were already rampaging across the city and turning people into undead as Arthas entered it, No, there was not enough time for a quarantine.
    ^Figured that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Might have been better if they did something to check if the people were even infected first, instead of assuming all of them had consumed the grain.
    I'm sure if he asked nicely Malganis would be willing to not turn the entire city into zombies while the figured out a test for the plague Malganis was using to turn the city into zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    Morally gray? No. Not unless he knew what Mal'ganis was doing before he decided to kill everyone, and I'm pretty sure he was well into that before he learned what was really happening. Then, and only then, is it morally gray. Morals are about intentions, not results.

If not, it's 100% a morally black decision smokescreened by circumstances. Once again, results oriented thinking does not absolve you of moral guilt. He is guilty because of his reasoning that led him to the decision, not by the results of his decision.

Here's another example: It is much worse morally to attempt to murder someone than it is to be involved in an accident that kills someone. Yes, you may have some survivor guilt after the later that you wouldn't have in the former, but it's not "wrong" from a moral point of view. It's the thought process of the decisions you make, not the things that happen as a result of those decisions that informs your morals.

There is an image of Arthas (as the Lich King) holding and staring at his father's bloody crown while out in the snow. It's a powerful image and really makes you wonder if Arthas was asking himself "was it really worth it?" (Of course his response from the Lich King side of him would have been "yes, it was was worth it!"

All the zombies got back up anyway and it sent him careening down a desperate path towards pure evil.

Gonna go with no. Even if there technically was no "right answer" to the immediate problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I would have done it, but I wouldn't have been a snarky, demanding asshole. Easy enough to just let a few people change (which happened during the mission anyways) to PROVE to Uther what was happening and show him the threat. Expecting unyielding loyalty is a fool's errand. You need proof for anything to have weight. He had not yet provided any proof or evidence.

I would have rounded them all up and waited for each of them to turn before putting them out of their misery, as well. No need to kill people without giving them benefit of the doubt. If not enough time for that, at least there would still be enough proof to sway Uther and Jaina.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2020-04-26 at 02:11 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Arthas' failure was not what happened inside Stratholme, it was his actions before entering. If he had spoken to Uther and explained everything rather then demanding unquestioning loyalty they might have stayed with him. Arthas spoke as an arrogant princess to a veteran paladin which eroded any argument he might have made which is why everyone, even Jaina, walked away from him. They saw the road he was going down and refused to walk with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    There is an image of Arthas (as the Lich King) holding and staring at his father's bloody crown while out in the snow. It's a powerful image and really makes you wonder if Arthas was asking himself "was it really worth it?" (Of course his response from the Lich King side of him would have been "yes, it was was worth it!"
    In the Reforged version, Arthas also stares at his father's statue at the gates of Stratholme and says "Father... forgive me for what I must do". He certainly found no pleasure in slaughtering a city, but he genuinely thought he was doing the necessary thing.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    yes,from his perspective sargeras was going the right thing for himself and his kind,trying to stop the very posible destruction of himself and the titans if a dark titan ever come to be,its like humans killing rats that spread the plague,also nerzhul and arthas were facing the treaths directly in front of them,they didnt know about void lords,and even if they did...its not the old gods and void that was the DIRECT imediat enemy to their existance,it was the legion
    Well it was more right to the entire existance and forgetting the small things.
    Well chronicles 3 made a point that LK's new about old gods and yogg-saron but not knowing doesn't free them of blame.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    In the Reforged version, Arthas also stares at his father's statue at the gates of Stratholme and says "Father... forgive me for what I must do". He certainly found no pleasure in slaughtering a city, but he genuinely thought he was doing the necessary thing.
    it was also in Classic but it was on the obelisk where Mal'ganis spawned

Also did you guys know that in the very first patches, children were also included to be culled and there were villager voicelines?
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    Morally gray? No. Not unless he knew what Mal'ganis was doing before he decided to kill everyone, and I'm pretty sure he was well into that before he learned what was really happening. Then, and only then, is it morally gray. Morals are about intentions, not results.
    I'll take utilitarianism for $100 Jim...

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    Ha, weeb. They always find a way to bring some Japanese sounding shit somewhere completely unnecessary

Infracted.
    I join you in your hatred of weebs, but that's a star trek reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    I'll take utilitarianism for $100 Jim...
    Well, my argument is for the opposite of utilitarianism, but yes, that is what people arguing that Arthas is right are practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Yes, the culling was the right decision. However, it also marked the point where Arthas decided that he was willing to do anything to stop Mal'ganis. Vengeance consumed him and led to him surrendering his soul to Frostmourne and in a tragic twist being used to destroy the people he fought so hard to save.
    I think you hit a solid point. Its his single mindness of hunting mal'ganis as a result of the culling is the real issue.